PDA

View Full Version : Source for Base Plate/Crown Race for 1" Dura Ace 7410 Headset

paredown
03-22-2018, 06:39 AM
I used a little to much force on the aluminum taking the Dura Ace crown race off, and kinda potato-chipped it.:crap:

This is the cartridge style. By rumor, the steel one from Ultegra or 105 may fit.

Anyone know of a source for either the original or a steel replacement?

I banged around online but did not come up with anything--one seller on the 'Bay has the 27.0 one (spendy), but I need the 26.4 for the Serotta fork.

Edit to Add: willing to sub a different brand, if anyone has figured out one that would work

Brian Smith
03-22-2018, 07:59 AM
I used a little to much force on the aluminum taking the Dura Ace crown race off, and kinda potato-chipped it.:crap:

This is the cartridge style. By rumor, the steel one from Ultegra or 105 may fit.

I banged around online but did not come up with anything--one seller on the 'Bay has the 27.0 one (spendy), but I need the 26.4 for the Serotta fork.

Edit to Add: willing to sub a different brand, if anyone has figured out one that would work

The steel version certainly fits, and is less likely to be damaged during removal. You can find it in the 105 or even STX-RC headset.
The bearing cartridges are also the same in size.
Don't use the 27.0 version with a shim, get the proper size race.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2018, 08:52 AM

They will, same cartridges, etc as DA. Only difference is the DA one was aluminum..Proprietary bearings so unless you change the entire lower cup, no proper replacements. 'Might' be cheapest to buy a whole headset.

I 'think' a XTR or XT cart bearing headset is the same also.

bicycletricycle
03-22-2018, 08:54 AM
I wonder if enough people need these to justify getting a batch machined.

I think euro Asia has some in stock.

oldpotatoe
03-22-2018, 08:58 AM
I wonder if enough people need these to justify getting a batch machined.

I think euro Asia has some in stock.

They do but like a lot of their NOS 'stuff', they are holy-MOLY, expensive..

https://www.euroasiaimports.com/productcart/pc/Ultegra-HP6500-Crown-Race-2072p23879.htm

bicycletricycle
03-22-2018, 09:37 AM
They do but like a lot of their NOS 'stuff', they are holy-MOLY, expensive..

https://www.euroasiaimports.com/productcart/pc/Ultegra-HP6500-Crown-Race-2072p23879.htm

yup, euro asia picks your pocket.

rccardr
03-22-2018, 11:33 AM
I saw an eBay posting a month or so ago, guy had three XT (I think) 26.4 races for sale and represented that they would fit a DA cartridge headset. Price was about $14 plus shipping, so not cheap for a crown race.

Brian Smith
03-22-2018, 01:08 PM

Cane Creek used to have a threadless headset called the C2. I was able to break both the upper and lower cups off of their head tube insertion sleeves, so I wouldn't recommend it as a headset, however the bearings and crown race were Shimano cartridge compatible. It came with a steel crown race, and it would work as a Shimano substitute for you. I'm not sure if you can find one of those, either. At least you can now be looking for a hen's molar -OR- incisor.

paredown
03-22-2018, 02:10 PM
Thanks all!

Just how expensive would the Euro Asia part be, with standard shop markup?

The 27.0 one I spotted turns out to be for the 7400 ball version--it's $20 plus $12 shipping, so that seemed pricey.

Nice tip on the Crane Creek--I'll take a look. I think I found a Shimano 6500 that is affordable and in decent shape, so I may bite the bullet and buy a whole one, and sell the rest of the parts individually...

ultraman6970
03-22-2018, 03:30 PM
The baseplate of a 600/ultegra might work aswell, same with the xt one mentioned above.

This is not what you want to hear ok, I have one of those ultegra headsets with the baseplate you want but i dont want to sell it because is for threadless headsets (not many of those around)

m_sasso
03-22-2018, 11:16 PM
The Shimano 7410 headset bearing lower cup/crown race are the same as, Shimano 6500/600, 5500/105, XT/M740/741/742, LX/563 and STX. The 7410 crown race is Al, the rest are all steel however are interchangeable with the 7410.

Always looking for more, found most of my crown races through recyclers or inexpensive lower end headsets on ebay. If you decide to replace your entire head set this is about as inexpensive retail as I have viewed recently on the 7410: https://www.tracksupermarket.com/head-parts/shimano-dura-ace-hp-7410-sealed-bearing-track-headset-jis-or-ita.html

dddd
03-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Many bike shops or co-ops have buckets or boxes stuffed with forks, many of which may have crown races still on them.

Alternately, I might try straightening the bent crown race seat with a plastic mallet on a block of wood.

Ultraman6970, I have never seen a Shimano threadless headset and didn't know that any were ever made. Any chance that it has been cobbled together?

I would bet that Shimano's and Cane Creek's headsets are both made by Tange, who might be another source for the needed part.

ultraman6970
03-23-2018, 08:08 AM
DDDD... yeah they sort of was cobled together as you mentioned. What happened is that a company in the UK had the tops plus the plastic wedge available. So was not a part easy to find, actually rabobank had their bikes with 600 and dura ace headsets using this part in specific aswell.

In my case my derosa planet came with an integrated headset and 1 inch fork (when 1 1/8 was started showing up) and by things of fate I had this 600/ultegra headset moving around that shared exactly the same bearings than what my derosa had. Tried the fit and was perfect...

One day found a 1 1/8 to 1inch integrated conversion headset (they are still being made for BMX)) and replaced the derosa headset and passed the top to be used with that ultegra one which was installed in a Colnago dream I sold years ago.

Kept the headset around because u never know when another dream will come along but there is a big chance i wont use that thing again tho.

ultraman6970
03-23-2018, 08:15 AM
This is the part...

http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/components-c169/headsets-c247/spares-c250/m-part-headset-m-p-adapter-1in-sr-p16609

http://www.wiggle.com/mpart-adapter/

Mine is pretty much the same thing but the color is different (not polished) and has no branding.

dddd
03-23-2018, 11:12 AM
I see no longer available, thinking that perhaps it got nixed because of patent infringement issues (though patent must have expired by now, and the demand would by now be very low).

ultraman6970
03-23-2018, 11:43 AM
THere is a bmx 1 1/8 to 1 inch conversion headset that is integraded, uses campagnolo specs bearings as many bmx stuff. I used the top, and the metallic wedge in my derosa, worked great.

Tried to make it work in the shimano headset and did not fit at all, felt off because the cartridge of the shimano headset have a weird size, they have like rubber seals around it, great bearings tho... way better than anything ive seen.