PDA

View Full Version : *** - FLEX

Serpico
10-10-2006, 04:56 PM
press release (http://www.minoura.co.jp/flex-e.html)

What's FLEX?

FLEX is the very unique and super-lightweight bicycle computer with flexible ePaper (Electric Paper) display panel. It is the world first consumer product in the bike industry.
It measures Speed and Cadence by double digital wireless transmission as well as Time, Distance and Output-Wattage.
FLEX can be used on both indoor training and outdoor riding.

What's ePaper?

The "ePaper" is the latest technology of computer display device. Our display panel is supplied by SiPix who is one of the limited (only two in the world!) companies enables to make ePaper. Minoura is the exclusive customer of SiPix's ePaper panel for bike industry.

Every bike computer has LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) panel which is constructed with thin grass plates so it is fragile and cannot be bent at all. Therefore, it requires a bulky hard casing to protect the LCD panel from the shock.
Also LCD requires the electlicity at all times while it indicates text and graphic. Once the power supply is cut, the LCD panel will loose everything. It means the battery life must be shorter.

The ePaper is made of soft plastic film, so it is quite flexible and can fit any shape without worrying about the breakage. It is completely shock-resistant and water proof. It means ePaper can be alone without any hard casing so it can reduce the weight significantly.

Inside the ePaper, there are millions of white small balls in dielectric fluid between the films. The balls are positively electrically charged. They will swim in the fluid toward the bottom when negative electric power is applied onto the bottom base. The balls in the area where positive electric power is applied will swim toward the surface. This pattern combination will create visual image on the display.

The ePaper system will not require any more electric power once they finish moving, so we can cut the power while we need same image on the display and it means we can save the battery life dramaticaly.
/QUOTE

http://www.minoura.co.jp/epaper-mechanism.gif
btw, I saw this elsewhere--props to Jake (who posted it originally)

atmo
10-10-2006, 04:58 PM
first cbgb's closes.
and now this atmo.

the universe is expanding.

Chris
10-10-2006, 05:11 PM
I need two... where do I get them? :)

Serpico
10-10-2006, 05:13 PM
first cbgb's closes.
and now this atmo.

lou reed and patti smith?

they capped the tube where scorcese did his first tracking shot and took out the phonebooth rosie perez* used

*cut to a shot of rosie in the street, dancing like she did at the beginning of do the right thing

maybe change is inevitable--doesn't mean we have to like it

atmo
10-10-2006, 05:17 PM
lou reed and patti smith?

they capped the tube where scorcese did his first tracking shot and took out the phonebooth rosie perez* used

*cut to a shot of rosie in the street, dancing like she did at the beginning of do the right thing

maybe change is inevitable--doesn't mean we have to like it

dunk is pead atmo

Too Tall
10-10-2006, 05:20 PM
It's about time.
Seriously, this is good stuff.

Puhlease, no Lost in Space jokes ok?

atmo
10-10-2006, 05:24 PM
It's about time.
Seriously, this is good stuff.

Puhlease, no Lost in Space jokes ok?
go put on redondo beach (http://www.oceanstar.com/patti/lyrics/redondo.htm).
volume at eleven atmo.

Lincoln
10-10-2006, 05:30 PM
first cbgb's closes.
and now this atmo.

Talking Heads

gasman
10-10-2006, 05:54 PM
atmo.

Dark energy-Einstein was right even when he thought he was wrong.

Too Tall
10-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah Gasman, that the NATURE of things ;)

Reading is fundamental.

1centaur
10-10-2006, 06:15 PM
How can balls swim when they don't have any limbs?

What do they call a man with no arms and legs, swimming in the ocean?

Lincoln
10-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Bob

swoop
10-10-2006, 06:37 PM
go put on redondo beach (http://www.oceanstar.com/patti/lyrics/redondo.htm).
volume at eleven atmo.

would you believe i had her on my ipod as i read this? not sure if i can live in a cbgb free world. max's kansas city is gone.. what have we become?

i wonder if they will do a cbgb hotel in vegas. you can pee on the carpet and write on the walls.

atmo
10-10-2006, 06:41 PM
would you believe i had her on my ipod as i read this? not sure if i can live in a cbgb free world. max's kansas city is gone.. what have we become?

i wonder if they will do a cbgb hotel in vegas. you can pee on the carpet and write on the walls.

that musta' hurt atmo.
she's like 5'9" no?

our parents atmo?

obtuse
10-10-2006, 06:58 PM
cbgb's was just a shi'ite ball imitation of the rat anyway.....

both great places to partake in cocaine off a car key i suppose....

obtuse

Fixed
10-10-2006, 07:07 PM
thin grass plates ....far-out
cheers

roman meal
10-10-2006, 07:16 PM
I was lost in a valley of pleasure.
I was lost in the infinite sea.
I was lost, and measure for measure,
love spewed from the heart of me.
I was lost, and the cost,
and the cost didn't matter to me.
I was lost, and the cost
was to be outside society.

I'ts gotta be pricey, grass plates and all

Fixed: Got the belt today. Thanks. Treat headed south back to you. No, not grass plates.

Jason E
10-10-2006, 07:17 PM
That's pretty cool. Minoura has them on their website as Coming Soon, and retailing for $150. Not bad for all of the features when you add in the stupid amount of Star-Trek cool factor!

Now I'm on the list for one.

Jason E
10-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Ohura type Star-Trek, none of this Diana Troy crap.

Though I guess I could settle for Tpol. Vulcan's like this can beat me with their logic anytime....

http://www.moviehole.net/img/tpol.jpg