PDA

View Full Version : OT: update me on your experiences with saabs

sailorboy
03-20-2018, 05:10 PM
Hey all,

I'm sure used saabs have been discussed before, but now that they have been out of business for enough years for people to need replacement parts and service etc with higher mileage cars, how easy is it to maintain them?

the for sale prices are always tempting, and having lived in Vermont for some of my youth where it seemed like every third car going down the road was a 900, I have a perennial soft spot for them.

I'm considering one for a 2nd car/work car for a job where I'll have a long commute and want something to drive the wheels off in highway miles.

whats the life hack for keeping a saab?

dustyrider
03-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Friends that have had the original, non-Subaru, Saab’s always had more then one! They’re pretty neat especially the earlier ones! I like the engine, but have no real knowledge of them other than they’re unique. Only ever driven non-turbo ones and felt like they had typical front wheel drive manners.

pasadena
03-20-2018, 05:18 PM
The older, original Saab 900s are great
I used to have a 900SPG and regret selling it

Nowadays, it will be harder to source parts and trim which would be the big difficulty.
It's built solid. The doors shut like a 911 or G wagen.

The newer GM Saab's I don't know anything about but the 9-3 is supossed to be quite good

sg8357
03-20-2018, 05:23 PM
JAS-39 parts are still production.

So no problems here.

EDS
03-20-2018, 05:23 PM
I had the last iteration of the 9-3 that had the hatchback (2002 9-3 SE). Loved that car though it had some quirks. Would likely still have it today if not for an accident.

teleguy57
03-20-2018, 05:34 PM
have had nothing but great experiences with Saab2000 :beer:

veloduffer
03-20-2018, 05:56 PM
From some auto mechanic friends, i was told it’s getting very hard to get parts for Saabs.

As aside, my first car was a Saab 96 with a 2-Stroke engine (mixed oil with the gas like a leaf blower), manual choke and 4-speed manual on the column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spacemen3
03-20-2018, 06:24 PM
I had a couple, non-GM, SAAB 900 turbos. Absolutely wonderful cars. I only wish I could have afforded to keep them roadworthy.

Polyglot
03-20-2018, 06:59 PM
I'm still driving my 2007 9-3 and have never had a problem getting parts. I got hit by a 16 year old neighbor in a snow storm and it was easy to get replacement body parts, in fact easier than with other cars that I have had. I also found a local junkyard that had two with the identical paint and body panels so if needed I could just switch them out rather than repairing or replacing and painting. Mechanically, I have never had an issue apart from the airbag recall (handled by GM for free.) On the interstate I average in the high 20 or low 30's MPG. The seats are very good and supportive. I would highly recommend one.

sailorboy
03-20-2018, 07:25 PM
Thx for the inputs. I should've clarified, I'm not looking for a vintage saab, and though that label itself may be debatable probably looking at something '07 or newer which I realize puts it in the GM era and is not a saab to most purists.

Tickdoc
03-20-2018, 07:33 PM
I went to test drive one once because I watched Seinfeld and thought they were cool.

The one I chose was a silver wagon (shocking) and I sat in it while the dealer went to get the keys.

I broke the seat trying to adjust it. He came back with the key and I said, nervermind.

That’s all I got.

djg21
03-20-2018, 07:48 PM
Hey all,

I'm sure used saabs have been discussed before, but now that they have been out of business for enough years for people to need replacement parts and service etc with higher mileage cars, how easy is it to maintain them?

the for sale prices are always tempting, and having lived in Vermont for some of my youth where it seemed like every third car going down the road was a 900, I have a perennial soft spot for them.

I'm considering one for a 2nd car/work car for a job where I'll have a long commute and want something to drive the wheels off in highway miles.

whats the life hack for keeping a saab?

I had a SAAB 9000 years ago. It was a disaster. There is a reason SAAB went belly up.

Hilltopperny
03-20-2018, 07:57 PM
My first car was a saab 900 turbo. I also had a couple of 900s models. Fun cars and those models were literally tanks. I remember being sideswiped by a grand prix during a snowstorm. I had to get pulled out of a snow bank, but only had a minor ding. The grand prix had the whole entire side caved in.

William
03-20-2018, 07:58 PM
The older, original Saab 900s are great
I used to have a 900SPG and regret selling it

Just wanted to chime in:
Ditto, I loved that car and regret selling it. Every so often I look for one just as a fun car.

That said I had no interest in the GM era of Saab so I can't help you there.

William

Ken Robb
03-20-2018, 08:01 PM
I would be wary about an orphan that was always a rare car to use as a high mile commuter. OTOH an old GM sled (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) with the 3.8L v-6 will run a long time, the A/C will be good and they can get about 30 mpg highway on regular gas. Bubba at most gas stations can fix it and parts are CHEAP.

echelon_john
03-20-2018, 08:04 PM
We have a 2007 9-3 SportCombi 6MT. 150k mostly trouble-free Miles; 30mpg when it doesn’t have snow tires.

Zero problems getting parts, and I have a local Saab mechanic who’s fantastic and a big reason I’ve kept it.

Wish it were better in the snow, but no complaints.

eddief
03-20-2018, 08:34 PM
I bought one of these brand new. Anything to own something out of the ordinary in those days. I can remember smoking dubes and having an ash fall onto the soft, foam-backed seat covers and then it would make deep melted holes through the fabric and down into the foam.

4 speed on the column and went through clutches like no tomorrow. A true piece of crap. Looked cool with long hair though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVA-V9PrDrM

earlfoss
03-20-2018, 08:35 PM
I love SAABs. Had a 1999 Viggen, and it was fast as all get out. If I were rich I'd have paid to have a full restoration done to it, but unfortunately it had to go. When I traded it in, I think there were about 210,000 mi on the odometer!

Buzz Killington
03-20-2018, 08:59 PM
My dad had an ‘85 (I think) 900 Turbo we picked up at the factory and drove around Europe on their European and Diplomat Sales program. Saved money on not renting a car and picked it up in Newark after our trip and had shipped over. One day I was driving in snow and decided to do an e-brake turn. I was 16/17, nobody told me the ebrake works on the front wheels on that car. Didn’t make for the best ebrake turn and ended up in a snow bank.

2 or 3 years later I rolled it trying to set the speed record from my town to college. Both of us walked out without a scratch. About two years later I was a passenger in a Saab 900 as well and we barrel rolled the car coming back from Vermont Reggae Fest with a garbage pail full of ice water and beer. Walked out of that car without a scratch. Passenger in back seat broke a leg, but not bad considering severity of accident.

After I totaled my dads 900 he got a 9 triple 0. That thing was huge inside and awesome. We still have a 900 (last year before GM) at our cabin was in the daks.
It sits for the whole winter, drop the battery in and it starts right up.

ColnagoFan
03-20-2018, 09:19 PM
My dad had a 900S when I was growing up, lots of fond memories of that car. I always wanted one, maybe I will have one some day.

Honestly, I used to do some gnarly commuting some years back, 240 miles/day, 99% highway. I had a '96 VW GTI, with the non-turbo 2.0L engine, 5spd manual. I used to average 38mpg in that thing over those distances. That's an hour+ of stop & go 1st/2nd/3rd then back to 1st gear, and then the rest at 80mph cruising.
SUPER impressed with that thing, if I ever am unlucky to have a commute like that again, I vowed to find another Mk.3 GTI 2-banger!

oldpotatoe
03-21-2018, 08:43 AM
JAS-39 parts are still production.

So no problems here.

Nice jet as was the -35 and 37 of their era.

alancw3
03-21-2018, 09:04 AM
what i think is so funny about saab is that from what i understand the sweds did not buy the car. part of the reason why gm sold the company after not being able to make it profitable. that being said they had a great run in the 80's as a yuppy car, the best model of which was this:

alancw3
03-21-2018, 09:18 AM
oh and wait i actually remember the TWO CYCLE(you mixed oil with the gas) three cylinder car that first was imported here like in the early to mid fifty"s. oh my i am really getting old!

camelopardalis
03-21-2018, 09:27 AM
I had a Saab Turbo back in the 80's. Too many mechanical problems.

notsew
03-21-2018, 10:41 AM
Just wanted to chime in:
Ditto, I loved that car and regret selling it. Every so often I look for one just as a fun car.

That said I had no interest in the GM era of Saab so I can't help you there.

William

Such a good looking car. So much character.

palincss
03-21-2018, 10:41 AM
And my 1992 900 base model 3-door was one of the best, most comfortable and most well-thought out cars I've ever owned. The only mechanical issue I ever had with it was with the A/C compressor, and that had to be replaced when we moved away from Freon anyway.

palincss
03-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Such a good looking car. So much character.

Controversial, even polarizing looks, but in my opinion it's still a beautiful car that hasn't aged at all. It's right up there with the Citroen DS in the looks department, in my opinion.

tv_vt
03-21-2018, 12:08 PM
I had a basic 1989 900, 5 speed manual. While it was a beautiful car, it was a lemon. Ridiculously expensive to maintain - most trouble-prone car I have owned since 1972. Kind of heavy and slow, too. Loved the look and loved the hatchback - could fit anything back there. But don't miss it at all.

Polyglot
03-21-2018, 12:52 PM
Thx for the inputs. I should've clarified, I'm not looking for a vintage saab, and though that label itself may be debatable probably looking at something '07 or newer which I realize puts it in the GM era and is not a saab to most purists.

If you want to come and take a look at 2007 9-3 and take it for a drive, you are welcome to do so. I'm less than an hour drive from you, just across the Delaware in New Jersey.

goonster
03-21-2018, 12:57 PM
When SAAB went under, the largest German daily eulogized it as the "car for Theodor Adorno readers." ;)

03-21-2018, 01:11 PM
Had a 900 SPG, a 900 Turbo, and an S. That's total between myself and my ex. Routine clutch failures on the one manual I had, between 40k and 50k intervals; the autos were better. The Turbo went 240K miles but in the process consumed four turbochargers. It was like clockwork, and the repair shops all had issues with them. Had the main side rails in the underbody rust out on two of the three, and the floor pan in one (this was in Connecticut). The fit was generally really good, the cars were very cool for what they were. It was a time of boring cars (even Porsche couldn't get it right during those years) so I tended to have a love affair with the Saab. However, the car didn't really deserve it. Today it wouldn't hold a candle to a Subaru Outback, which is not quite equivalent but has some of the same kind of appeal and audience these days. And yes, some parts are difficult to find. Forget finding body metal. Turbos have already been sold out and I don't know if anyone is still making them.

What's relevant here is that it's not a car that holds bikes well internally. The roof rails were welded on and held a ton of weight on a bike rack. If you want to consider a Saab, consider a Citroen, an older Jag, one of the curvy Fiats. They're all in the same category of cool but unreliable. Been there and done that. I wouldn't recommend a Saab.

PSJoyce
03-21-2018, 01:53 PM
I had an 1984 900 3-door that I kept for 17 years. Perfect bike race car, fast, comfortable, could hold two bikes and everything for a race weekend in the back without even folding the seats. Best part -- the big black rear bumper was perfect for sitting to put on your shoes. It was very reliable for 16 years and went on to serve other bike racers.

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Those SPGs were very sought after back in the day. Wanted one in the worst way. Came very close to grabbing an '08 TurboX SportCombi 6MT, new. Cheap feel throughout, weird grab points on the clutch, and SAAB's impending collapse kept me away. Some of the nicest seats I've ever sat in. I don't think anyone buys a SAAB of any vintage for their reliability. Still a looker, 10 years later, imo.

buddybikes
03-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Saab 9-5 Wagon 2008, stick!

Haven't had issues with parts, eeuroparts and others have them, I am not a mechanic but do some self identification of problems then bring parts in. Have to do the exhaust, that will be some $$. I have heard from insurance that if I bash it up, they will declare as total pretty quick as fenders, body parts etc can get expensive quick.

I load 4 kayaks multiple bikes and dogs in routinely.

Nice seats!

kingpin75s
03-21-2018, 02:58 PM
All SAAB owners I know, have their SOB stories to tell.

I had a 2000 9-5 Aero. Fun car. Best seats ever. Sweet ride till it was not.

For me it was the known ECM/ECU issue that pushed me away.

Moved on from that to a 3 year old 2005 Acura RL at the time and never looked back. The higher end RL models in particular go for a relative song as they look to much like an Accord for some. Cheaper Sleeper IMHO.

buddybikes
03-21-2018, 02:59 PM