PDA

View Full Version : Floyd's Defense

steven.k.davis@
10-10-2006, 12:53 PM
One thought has been nagging me for several months now. I wonder why no one has mentioned the subsequent urine test results taken from Landis following stage 17? Were there any? I thought that all podium finishers of each TDF stage are required to submit to drug testing, so how come no one has mentioned his test results following the Stage 19 Time Trial where he finished third? Is it possible for someone's testosterone level to fluctuate so wildly over the course of just a few days? Landis's drug test prior to Stage 17 were apparantly negative. His level was reported to be very elevated in the Stage 17 test. How come there has been no reports on the Stage 19 test? Have I missed something? It would seem to me that the human body would require some time to restablize itself if there existed a chemical imbalance. If both pre-Stage 17 and post-stage 17 results were negative, might these tests bring into question the validity (medically speaking) of the Stage 17 result?

saab2000
10-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I am sure that every angle will be brought up. I too wonder why he would have odd testosterone levels one day but be back within normal levels a day later. That does not make sense as testosterone (at least as I understand it) is not a stimulant.

From my basic understanding of things there seem to be some holes in the accusations. I hope he is cleared of all charges.

CalfeeFly
10-10-2006, 03:58 PM
One of my doctors who is a cyclist cannot believe that Stage 17 can be right based on his testing results before and after. He has experience with testosterone and its elimination based on his own medical condition.

Needs Help
10-10-2006, 04:08 PM
One of my doctors who is a cyclist cannot believe that Stage 17 can be right based on his testing results before and after. He has experience with testosterone and its elimination based on his own medical condition.
Does he have experience with masking doping agents? It seems plausible that a rider could screw up the masking one day and then get it right the next.

What does your doctor think about riders who have 0 hematocrit levels, i.e. 0 red blood cells in their blood? Flawed test?

bostondrunk
10-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Maybe a Dr. on the forum can clarify this.....

But my understanding is that manufactured testosterone can come in different esters (if that is the right term...), such as Cypionate, Enanthenate, and Acetate. And combinations of these are available in such injectables as Sustanon.
Again, my understanding is that each one has a different half life, which is why when athletes/bodybuilders use them, the particular ester they use determines how often it needs to be injected. Typically, Acetate is injected every day, sometimes more than once a day, to maintain a steady level. I would assume whether or not it is injected, or taken via a patch, it is a similar situation.
So assuming Landis used a quick acting ester, I think it -is- possible for his testosterone levels to have fluctuated like that.
THAT SAID, I have no idea why he would give himself that big a dose on purpose, knowing that:
1. He would be tested
2. I honestly have a hard time believing that 12 hours is enough time for any form of testosterone to make that big a difference in performance.

Just my .02......worth about .0001....

1centaur
10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
A search of the Bicycling Pro Racing forum will get you many very knowledgable replies from scientific types. Long story short, there's no simple explanation of the numbers, so simple questions are not worth asking. I believe Floyd's lower number in the ratio was depressed, creating the mythical 11:1 ratio, not that his T itself was elevated. That depression is symptomatic of doping, thus the use of the ratio rather than the absolute T number, and thereafter the test for the presence of synthetic hormone, which was declared positive. Some theorize he was taking T all along but messed up the masking agent before Stage 17. All this is from memory, so my apology for missed details.

Unfortunately, the procedures pretty much end up being: bad numbers, no excuses. Most of the time that may be fair, but when it's not, it's not.

Now, let's wait and let the two sides duke it out.

BumbleBeeDave
10-10-2006, 09:47 PM
!

ols
10-10-2006, 11:06 PM
On-line usa today over the weekend said they had a preview of the defense (but they dont mention testing differences between July 17 vs 18 as a primary argument)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2006-10-07-landis-defense_x.htm