PDA

View Full Version : Getting pulled over by five police vehicles while riding our bikes (DC Rainmaker)

Keith A
03-20-2018, 01:39 PM
Just skimmed this article, but want to go back and read it. Sounds like a group of cyclists were pulled over, and the police officer was incorrect about his reasoning for stopping them and later admitted his mistake.

Here's the article...
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/03/getting-pulled-over-by-five-police-vehicles-while-riding-our-bikes.html

AngryScientist
03-20-2018, 01:50 PM
well now. that is an excellent story.

bravo to all involved!

Kontact
03-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Overall, a LE success story.

batman1425
03-20-2018, 01:58 PM
It's nice to hear about positive interactions. The stuff that hits the media front is mostly negative and further strengthens the divide for cyclists, motorists, and LEOs. Refreshing.

GregL
03-20-2018, 02:08 PM
It took me a bit to understand that this friendly LEO encounter took place in Australia, not the US. Now it makes sense.

Greg

Keith A
03-20-2018, 02:19 PM
I liked this comment...
But like most group rides, riding two abreast is safer because it shortens the length of the group by half – rather than this unwieldy long snake going down the road. It also makes people more visible, and ultimately forces drivers to pass more safely. All of this is well understood in cycling circles the world around.

fogrider
03-20-2018, 02:21 PM
It gives me hope in humanity...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Matthew
03-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Yeah, except most drivers will look at that comment much differently. Two abreast is a giant PITA for most drivers and one reason they hate us. Forces them to pass safely all the while pissing them off.

jonjones13
03-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Yeah, except most drivers will look at that comment much differently. Two abreast is a giant PITA for most drivers and one reason they hate us. Forces them to pass safely all the while pissing them off.

As both a driver and cyclist on narrowish roads here in the UK, I hate 2 abreast riders, makes it very difficult to pass, so when you get a chance (or for some drivers a half-chance) some drivers race past sometimes dangerously, thereby increasing the risk of an accident.....

JStonebarger
03-20-2018, 02:41 PM

People looking for an excuse to hate will find one.

In Iowa riding two abreast is both legal and recommended by state law. Clearly many drivers, police, and even cyclists don't understand why.

Bentley
03-20-2018, 02:51 PM
I liked this comment...

So I actually experienced a similar issue on the HERO's ride here in Central Florida. We were riding in an area that had a "fog line" and shoulder that was wide enough to ride in, but because of a storm there was significant debris on the road that we had to ride in the road for safety. We were riding 2 across for safety purposes. Anyway a policeman from a nearby community stopped us and told us to get out of the road, this following several aggressive drivers honking and yelling at us. I had a problem with both the policeman's attitude and basically told him that he should check with his "superior" because it was lawful to ride on the road because there was no marked bike path and to add to that all the trash piled on the shoulder of the road. The problem was compounded by a "ride leader" that gave me H**L for "arguing with the Officer" but while I would agree there were loud voices, I was not arguing just making sure the Officer was aware of the law.

Still far too many people that do not recognize a rider's right to use the road. It does not help when we as riders "flip drivers off" but there needs to be Police that are trained and enforce the law or we will all become targets.

mecse
03-20-2018, 03:08 PM
makes me proud to be an aussie, to be honest.

batman1425
03-20-2018, 03:20 PM
So I actually experienced a similar issue on the HERO's ride here in Central Florida. We were riding in an area that had a "fog line" and shoulder that was wide enough to ride in, but because of a storm there was significant debris on the road that we had to ride in the road for safety. We were riding 2 across for safety purposes. Anyway a policeman from a nearby community stopped us and told us to get out of the road, this following several aggressive drivers honking and yelling at us. I had a problem with both the policeman's attitude and basically told him that he should check with his "superior" because it was lawful to ride on the road because there was no marked bike path and to add to that all the trash piled on the shoulder of the road. The problem was compounded by a "ride leader" that gave me H**L for "arguing with the Officer" but while I would agree there were loud voices, I was not arguing just making sure the Officer was aware of the law.

Still far too many people that do not recognize a rider's right to use the road. It does not help when we as riders "flip drivers off" but there needs to be Police that are trained and enforce the law or we will all become targets.

This is exactly the reason that when I ride in a new area, I make sure I read and understand the traffic laws in that area. In the past, I've also carried a copy of the relevant sections with me.

That said - success in interactions with LEO, on a bicycle or otherwise, IMO, has a lot to do with tone and managing communication effectively. Most LEOs I've interacted with are normal reasonable people and are acting and enforcing laws appropriately, however, those that are not, often don't like being told they don't understand the law. This can add tension to an already tense situation. Business-like matter of fact communication devoid of emotion with an up to date paper copy of the law can help with effective, non-combative communication.

Scuzzer
03-20-2018, 07:18 PM
As both a driver and cyclist on narrowish roads here in the UK, I hate 2 abreast riders, makes it very difficult to pass, so when you get a chance (or for some drivers a half-chance) some drivers race past sometimes dangerously, thereby increasing the risk of an accident.....

So wait, it's ok to then pass single file riders with a car coming the other way? I absolutely hate it when someone decides that it's ok to squeeze between a car coming the other way and me riding next to the line.

Scuzzer
03-20-2018, 07:24 PM
It does not help when we as riders "flip drivers off" but there needs to be Police that are trained and enforce the law or we will all become targets.
Flipping off is an Opposite Day sort of thing. Guy in an F350 buzzes you, smile and wave. Driver that totally misjudges the space to pass, flip off so they know they screwed up. I think most of the folks that put me in harms way don't understand the speed I'm traveling at and just make a mistake, they need to know they screwed up. The guys that actively try to make me uncomfortable want to get a rise out of me, I ain't playing.

Edit: and if you're the guy that slows down, rolls your window down and starts to yell at me to get off the road I'll just ignore you while slowly drifting behind your car and watching your tail lights.

bikinchris
03-21-2018, 05:46 AM
A policeman with the balls to admit he was wrong. Bravo. Probably doesn't pull out his sidearm too easily either.

Gummee
03-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Flipping off is an Opposite Day sort of thing. Guy in an F350 buzzes you, smile and wave. Driver that totally misjudges the space to pass, flip off so they know they screwed up. I think most of the folks that put me in harms way don't understand the speed I'm traveling at and just make a mistake, they need to know they screwed up. The guys that actively try to make me uncomfortable want to get a rise out of me, I ain't playing.

Edit: and if you're the guy that slows down, rolls your window down and starts to yell at me to get off the road I'll just ignore you while slowly drifting behind your car and watching your tail lights.
This

add: if someone's yelling, A. their opinion is automatically ignored because they're stupid enough to yell out the window and B. I'll usually yell 'I love you too!' back at them while smiling and waving.

They WANT you to react negatively. Somehow it 'justifies' their actions.

...AND... why give them that kind of power over your emotions? Why let the morons ruin your day over their stupidity? I have to catch myself with this one on egregious passes too, but I try

M

pjbaz
03-21-2018, 05:59 PM
This

add: if someone's yelling, A. their opinion is automatically ignored because they're stupid enough to yell out the window and B. I'll usually yell 'I love you too!' back at them while smiling and waving.

They WANT you to react negatively. Somehow it 'justifies' their actions.

...AND... why give them that kind of power over your emotions? Why let the morons ruin your day over their stupidity? I have to catch myself with this one on egregious passes too, but I try

M

I started yelling back "I Love you" a few years ago and it's a great line to use. Some people are too confused to react, others get angry ... only to realize they're completely foolish.

Sometimes I still have more heated exchanges, sadly.

Although, last year descending back into my town about 25 mph (which is the speed limit) a guy in an F250 came up almost beside me and honked which scared the **** out of me. It wasn't a long, aggressive honk, per se, but I reacted pretty negatively with many colorful words and gestures. At the stop light (or as I call them, the great equalizer) I pulled the phone and snapped a photo of the plate, just as the driver realized I was there and got out ... amazingly, he was apologetic and wondered what happened to make me so angry. I shut off my anger and explained what he did was dangerous and it would be better just to give me room and pass or wait behind me until it was safer. I also noticed the Harley sticker on his window and asked how he would react if he was on his bike and someone did that. That brought the issue home and he apologized again, then said he never realized it and was giving me the honk to let me know he was there. We both admitted our mistakes, shook hands and moved along with out lives. It was a good result.

cal_len1
03-21-2018, 07:26 PM
Although, last year descending back into my town about 25 mph (which is the speed limit) a guy in an F250 came up almost beside me and honked which scared the **** out of me. It wasn't a long, aggressive honk, per se, but I reacted pretty negatively with many colorful words and gestures. At the stop light (or as I call them, the great equalizer) I pulled the phone and snapped a photo of the plate, just as the driver realized I was there and got out ... amazingly, he was apologetic and wondered what happened to make me so angry. I shut off my anger and explained what he did was dangerous and it would be better just to give me room and pass or wait behind me until it was safer. I also noticed the Harley sticker on his window and asked how he would react if he was on his bike and someone did that. That brought the issue home and he apologized again, then said he never realized it and was giving me the honk to let me know he was there. We both admitted our mistakes, shook hands and moved along with out lives. It was a good result.

I've never had one got that smoothly, usually I just get yelled at by townies who tell me I'm breaking the law somehow.

Clancy
03-22-2018, 07:54 AM

I’ve learned my actions may not immediately effect me, but most certainly will effect other riders down the road.

If I flip off a driver, I just reinforced in that driver’s mind that all cyclists are jerks. Likelihood is he/she takes it out on the next cyclist down the road.

Countering bad behavior with more bad behavior only escalates until someone pays a pretty nasty price.... for no reason.

semdoug
03-22-2018, 08:23 AM
In the past some of the jurisdictions I have lived there was an odd contradiction in laws as it pertains to cyclists on the road. While it may have been legal for cyclists and groups to ride in the single or right hand lane it was also illegal to obstruct traffic.