PDA

View Full Version : Open u.p.

fignon's barber
03-20-2018, 12:03 PM
What's the general concensus on the Open U.P. gravel bike? Seems well thought out and good all-roadness.

ptourkin
03-20-2018, 12:36 PM
What's the general concensus on the Open U.P. gravel bike? Seems well thought out and good all-roadness.

Use the search. There have been a few long threads about it. I rented one from Above Category and loved it on both road and trail in Marin.

dieonthishill
03-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Just finished building mine up. Best bike I've ever owned.

fignon's barber
03-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Just finished building mine up. Best bike I've ever owned.

Nice. Let's see some pics!

dieonthishill
03-20-2018, 02:28 PM
Pictures attached!

Came in at about 16.5 lbs with the road setup and 17 lbs with the 650b MTB setup. I'll post the build list if anyone is intersted.

joosttx
03-20-2018, 04:29 PM
Open UP is a great bike. I know several guys who own them and they all love them. One guy races a niner gravel bike (forget the brand name) and he told he felt the niner was a faster bike but that the open was just more fun and he prefers the Open.

The Open Upper I know two people who have broken their frames. Yikes! But I think they have reissued one that is beefier. Let me know if that is true or not

Iansir
03-20-2018, 07:47 PM
If only they could have integrated some hidden fender mounts...these would be way more friendly in rain country

Mikej
03-21-2018, 07:35 AM
Dang I like that

palincss
03-21-2018, 10:51 AM
BQ tested one in issue 59.

roguedog
03-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Can you elaborate on why the open up is more fun?

I agree with iansir.. would be nice for some fenders for those of us who ride rain or shine.

Open UP is a great bike. I know several guys who own them and they all love them. One guy races a niner gravel bike (forget the brand name) and he told he felt the niner was a faster bike but that the open was just more fun and he prefers the Open.

The Open Upper I know two people who have broken their frames. Yikes! But I think they have reissued one that is beefier. Let me know if that is true or not

bdb
03-21-2018, 05:55 PM
Love Love mine, and agree if there was a fender option then its the perfect bike.

It's pretty close as is!

Something like the enve front fork fender setup.

I think the fun level depends on setup, I'm running mine with compass 44s, and it rolls over everything - I've got a brooks cambium saddle on it, and that makes it a very comfortable ride. I did an 80 mile gravel fondo on it a a couple of weeks ago and haven't smiled that much in forever.

It's also a blast downhills. A pure delight. Fast and stable, descending with 44mm tires is rather nice.

For reference my other main bike is a C60. Which is incredible, fast direct, and comfortable for long long rides. Multiple centuries, but mostly I reach for the Open now when I head out for a spin.

Bonesbrigade
03-21-2018, 05:58 PM
Aaronpass - looks awesome in both setups.

I’m not sure about the gator skins for road mode though!

Pretty badass in 650 mode with the TBs.

owly
03-21-2018, 06:39 PM

TBs seem to be the default tyre at the Open Showcase site.

Stopgo
03-21-2018, 09:06 PM
I had an Open One + (hard tail mtb). Like Joostx mentioned, mine cracked after 4 months of riding. I don’t know if they’re building these up too light or what, but I weigh 150 lbs, never shipped it, never crashed it, and never rode it on anything more than a fire road. I was utterally shocked when I discovered the crack while washing.

What’s worse? Zero accountability or meaningful effort to make things right. As cool as these bikes are, I could not recommend these bikes any less...

Proceed at your own risk.

eBAUMANN
03-21-2018, 09:25 PM
As cool as these bikes look...almost any 700c disc frame can easily mount 650b chubby rubber...for far less than the premium price tag on this thing's head.

If the comment above is any indication, you aren't even getting a decent warranty for that money. May as well just buy something open mold for $500! I say that as someone who has owned several "mid-life-crisis bikes" and currently rides/enjoys an open mold carbon disc frame everyday.

robin3mj
03-21-2018, 10:15 PM
I had an Open One + (hard tail mtb). Like Joostx mentioned, mine cracked after 4 months of riding. I don’t know if they’re building these up too light or what, but I weigh 150 lbs, never shipped it, never crashed it, and never rode it on anything more than a fire road. I was utterally shocked when I discovered the crack while washing.

What’s worse? Zero accountability or meaningful effort to make things right. As cool as these bikes are, I could not recommend these bikes any less...

Proceed at your own risk.

Utterly or literally?

simplemind
03-22-2018, 07:24 AM
As cool as these bikes look...almost any 700c disc frame can easily mount 650b chubby rubber...for far less than the premium price tag on this thing's head.

If the comment above is any indication, you aren't even getting a decent warranty for that money. May as well just buy something open mold for $500! I say that as someone who has owned several "mid-life-crisis bikes" and currently rides/enjoys an open mold carbon disc frame everyday.

Maybe I'm a bit biased here, but I looked at Open U.P. and the 3T offerings. Googling brought up some issues with cracked frames and not-so-good customer service claims. Have no idea if they were valid, but it caused me to look elsewhere for my gravel bike.

I ended up with a Parlee Chebacco, mostly on outside recommendations. It appears that most gravel specific carbon frames coming out lately have geometry essentially identical to the Chebacco, so I would encourage anyone in this market to have a look.

dieonthishill
04-03-2018, 09:54 AM

I won't ride anything but Gatorskins. Have tens of thousands of miles on them and have only flatted once or twice. Bullet proof. I'll skip dessert to save the extra grams the tires add. :cool:

mistermo
04-03-2018, 10:02 AM
I rented one two weekends ago from AC in Sausalito, then went for a mixed road/trail ride in the Marin Headlands. It was my first time with a 1x drivetrain and also on 650b wheels (Schwalbe Thunder Burts). I must admit, I REALLY liked this bike. Both the 1x and 650b's were pleasant revelations. The gearing gaps on the 1x weren't as big as I feared, and the 650bs were quicker on the road than I would've guessed. Bike handled beautifully. AC did mention some issues with a few cracked frames, all of which were UPPERS they said. When I got back to AC, I had them switch to a 700 x 44 Compass tire and decided I liked the 650bs better. They felt faster on the road, but maybe that was because it was late in the day and I was hungry and tired.

dieonthishill
04-03-2018, 10:14 AM

I'm 31. This is no mid-life crisis bike. The cracked frame issues were mostly happening with the UPPER frames from my understanding.

The customer service I have received from OPEN has been great so far, as well as the authorized retailer I bought the frame from. I have no worry either would take care of me if I had an issue.

I have been blown away of how great this bike is and is my favorite non-mountain bike I have ever owned. I had a Chinese wheel explode on me and will never buy these off-brand Chinese parts again. Doesn't matter how many good reviews are out there.

But, I don't choose to post comments about that immediately after one posts pictures of their new bike and how excited they are about it... :confused: