PDA

View Full Version : Why I love the classifieds here..

Clean39T
03-19-2018, 03:59 PM
Sorry, somebody had to do it --- :banana: :beer: :banana:

Because the kind and reasonable folks here have made it possible for me to dabble in a whole bunch of crazy and obscure bike ephemera that I otherwise would never have found or been able to afford.

Because buying, selling, and trading has given me reason to make some personal connections in a world that can always use a bit more brotherly/sisterly love.

Because it's fun to see what gets offered, support and revel in others' sales and acquisitions, and play both the enabled and enabler on any given day.

William
03-19-2018, 04:06 PM
As I just posted in the other thread...

I love this place because everyone I've dealt with in person or by mail has never let me down. I don't do PP and pay by sending cash or check if the seller is willing with the vast majority being in cash.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

William

ducati2
03-19-2018, 04:27 PM
Clean, you definitely seem like the kind of guy I would like to go for a ride with....Steve

93svt96
03-19-2018, 04:45 PM
I love hunting for parts as much as I enjoy riding. I have only purchased several things from fellow Paceliners and they have been great transactions.I also have paid with USPS money orders or personal checks and I understand it's only fair for them not to ship until everything clears.

rousseau
03-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Because the amount and variety of Campy components listed here are amazing for what seems like such a small forum.

I'll admit my bias: that there are so many devoted Campagnolo fanboys on Paceline is probably the main reason I hold the forum in such high regard!

Dave B
03-19-2018, 04:50 PM
I have learned soooo much from the classifieds about brands, types of bikes I had never heard of, or some of you really have/dig some funky stuff.

Oh and some of you dislike a lot of stuff for fascinating reasons.

Ken Robb
03-19-2018, 04:54 PM

Because the kind and reasonable folks here have made it possible for me to dabble in a whole bunch of crazy and obscure bike ephemera that I otherwise would never have found or been able to afford.

Because buying, selling, and trading has given me reason to make some personal connections in a world that can always use a bit more brotherly/sisterly love.

Because it's fun to see what gets offered, support and revel in others' sales and
acquisitions, and play both the enabled and enabler on any given day.
Heck, if you think you're happy now just wait until you buy my Strada Bianca. :banana:

OperaLover
03-19-2018, 04:56 PM
I love hunting for parts as much as I enjoy riding. I have only purchased several things from fellow Paceliners and they have been great transactions.I also have paid with USPS money orders or personal checks and I understand it's only fair for them not to ship until everything clears.

YES! What he said. I too have only had good experiences. I always send USPS money orders. The key is good communication as buyer or seller. I've always kept up on PMs any delays and status updates.

Way back in the day I traded with someone in Switzerland a brake arch (DA 7400, I think) for some Swiss chocolate. I mailed off the brake without hesitation. Chocolate was a little bit beat coming though the mail, but still delicious. That was a good one!

Clean39T
03-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Heck, if you think you're happy now just wait until you buy my Strada Bianca. :banana:

Can you wait a month or two? Maybe I’ll trade ya an LDV just for funzies..

/banana

ntb1001
03-19-2018, 05:05 PM
I have pretty good experiences buying and selling. Some pretty cool people here, even met a few.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Clean39T
Clean, you definitely seem like the kind of guy I would like to go for a ride with....Steve

You’re just up in Seattle right? We can make it happen one of these days..

srcarter
I love the Classifieds because i ride frames within Clean39t's size range, giving me a near guarantee of awesome frames to try in the future. :banana:

In all seriousness, I have about 5 transactions here (3 purchases, 2 sales), and all have been very easy and successful.

mhespenheide
03-19-2018, 05:24 PM
I've had a string of entirely good transactions on the classifieds here.

hollowgram5
03-19-2018, 05:27 PM
posted in the other thread but in all seriousness:

I've been on both sides of this. I've had excellent transactions here as a buyer, especially after I first joined. I've had some great transactions as a seller too. I've made mistakes as well, and slacked in communication.

More than anything I appreciate the camaraderie here. It's my escape from work and life at times, especially with my lady is out of the country (3 weeks/month she's typically gone). I enjoy the friendships and connections I've made and look forward to the possibility of riding with many of you in the future.

Not to mention I am excited about the fact that Dan and I ride the same size frames. Means that there's opportunity to ride some spectacular stuff as we shuffle through our stables and sell things off. Though he seems to work a bit faster through them than I do...

AJosiahK
03-19-2018, 05:41 PM
positivity is key!

Good and honest communication is undervalued.

Most of the PL community is great with that. I relate strongly to both OPs of the love/hate classifieds ... but honestly who is going to carry the torch so to speak when we all stop logging in? Leading by example is a huge contribution that alot of your dont realize your taking part in. This is one of the best forums ive ever been involved in, the depth of knowledge and willingness to share and experience together is what sets us apart.

cheers folks!

R3awak3n
03-19-2018, 06:19 PM
I have got some really good deals here but that is not why I love the classifieds, the best thing has been to need something and have people literally send it to me for nothing. At the same time, being able to do the same. It goes round and round

jamesdak
03-19-2018, 06:46 PM
I'm batting a hundred with my purchases here too. No issues at all. :banana:

john903
03-19-2018, 06:51 PM
The classifieds have been great to me. Its not the classifieds it's the cool people I have meet and interacted with here. I don't buy much but when I do it has always been a pleasant experience.
Thank You Paceline what a great place to be and I wear my Paceline cap with pride.

Lanternrouge
03-19-2018, 07:27 PM
Overall, my positive experiences far outweigh the few negative ones. I would live for this thread about all the good experiences in the classifieds to be a much longer one than the negative experiences.

superbowlpats
03-20-2018, 05:09 AM
Agree with Clean39T about the Classifieds. While I haven't sold anything (hmmm maybe I have a hoarding problem...) I love looking through the classifieds every day for something I need or simply want. I've bought stuff from Clean39T and eBAUMANN but then again who hasn't ;)

paredown
03-20-2018, 05:56 AM
Put me in the 'love' camp--and apologies if I am among those that have not responded to PSA offers.

I have been more of a buyer than a seller, and have definitely purchased mostly low value small stuff--but my experiences have been almost uniformly good, and have helped me get stuff finished (including sourcing those hard to find little widgets that are almost impossible to shop for online--thanks Old Spud).

oldpotatoe
03-20-2018, 06:00 AM

Because it's fun to see what gets offered, support and revel in others' sales and acquisitions, and play both the enabled and enabler on any given day.

I just posted something in the other one..I have a garage wheelbuilding operation and because of PL, it has been a way to realize a "post retail bike shop owner's" dream of just building wheels. So, I have no complaints.

:)

yakstone
03-20-2018, 06:11 AM
I have had mostly positive experiences and met some great folks here. As an early post said = "lead by example".
And BTW, Old Potato does build some nice wheels! Plus, its great to have the Campy Master within driving distance.

The thing I hate about the classifieds is that I am the same size as Ryun, and it gets really hard to keep myself in check when looking at the bikes he posts in the "Hated Classifieds".

huck*this
03-20-2018, 08:07 AM
Nothing but praises from Classified section, PM section, General Section, heck any section on Paceline. This place rocks!

thegunner
03-20-2018, 08:09 AM
I have had mostly positive experiences and met some great folks here. As an early post said = "lead by example".
And BTW, Old Potato does build some nice wheels! Plus, its great to have the Campy Master within driving distance.

The thing I hate about the classifieds is that I am the same size as Ryun, and it gets really hard to keep myself in check when looking at the bikes he posts in the "Hated Classifieds".

i have a friend who's almost his size, so thankfully ryun cuts down all his steerers to 0-stack haha.

alancw3
03-20-2018, 08:15 AM
i am so glad for this thread. i guess it is a classic case of the glass is half full or half empty. heck over the years i have actually sent buyers am item before even getting payment. just the kind of community we had back then. i truly hope that continues.

konaman
03-20-2018, 08:37 AM
I bought and paid PayPal for a nice titanium Dekerf here. Awesome experience.

cmbicycles
03-20-2018, 08:52 AM
My current road/tri bikes, and a lot of my other gear and gear choices, are from Paceline classifieds, or influenced by info therein. On the whole I cant remember anything but good experiences. I enjoy seeing many of the nice bikes others post, and often good information is shared through the classifieds as well. Classifieds here shows some of the variety of nice bikes out there, even if outside my pay grade... but, just because you are on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu. :p :bike:

Clean39T
03-20-2018, 08:54 AM
I bought and paid PayPal for a nice titanium Dekerf here. Awesome experience.

Titanium Dekerf?!?! Daaaaaamn.

Got any pics up of it? Those are on my nostalgia dream team.

93svt96
03-20-2018, 09:07 AM
My current road/tri bikes, and a lot of my other gear and gear choices, are from Paceline classifieds, or influenced by info therein. On the whole I cant remember anything but good experiences. I enjoy seeing many of the nice bikes others post, and often good information is shared through the classifieds as well. Classifieds here shows some of the variety of nice bikes out there, even if outside my pay grade... but, just because you are on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu. :p :bike:

Many of my decisions on parts and gear are from the thoughts of others , many times on the classifieds.

jpritchet74
03-20-2018, 09:07 AM
This is the best classified section of any forum I have been on. Lots of traffic and everyone I have dealt with has been phenomenal. :banana:

SpokeValley
03-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Ditto^^

Great transactions, all.

jtbadge
03-20-2018, 09:54 AM
this is the best classified section of any forum i have been on. Lots of traffic and everyone i have dealt with has been phenomenal. :banana:

100%.

FlashUNC
03-20-2018, 10:28 AM
I don't get passive aggressive counter-threading.

bicycletricycle
03-20-2018, 10:39 AM

It could come off as passive aggressive, but, if you feel strongly about the issue and don't want to try and take over the other thread than starting another one as a counter point seems valid I think.

I have had a great experience with the classifieds here.

Tony
03-20-2018, 10:43 AM
It could come off as passive aggressive, but, if you feel strongly about the issue and don't want to try and take over the other thread than starting another one as a counter point seems valid I think.

I have had a great experience with the classifieds here.

Same, this is where I come to if I need anything bike related, Thanks Paceline!

FlashUNC
03-20-2018, 11:01 AM

Then you're avoiding all discussion on the topic. Its parallel bubbles talking to each reinforcing their particular views.

bicycletricycle
03-20-2018, 11:02 AM
Then you're avoiding all discussion on the topic. Its parallel bubbles talking to each reinforcing their particular views.

That's true as well

Clean39T
03-20-2018, 11:17 AM

That's true as well

I just wanted to put something positive out on the board; and I don't take myself seriously enough to be passive-aggressive.

It's no different than some of the other "flip the thread on its head" posts, and no more/less in good fun than the "I rode 23c tires today and didn't die.." thread I started...or OldPotatoe's "I rode Campg Deltas today and didn't die.." riff on that.

If the mods want to combine these two threads and throw a poll up at the top (Vote: Love or Hate - you decide!), so be it.

pdonk
03-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Titanium Dekerf?!?! Daaaaaamn.

Got any pics up of it? Those are on my nostalgia dream team.

We must be bike brothers from another mother, except I own a dekerf team sl, in just your size - 21 inch.

I will send you a PM about my upcoming trip to portland for travel advice and possibly to rent a bike from you for a day or two.

Clean39T
03-20-2018, 01:13 PM
We must be bike brothers from another mother, except I own a dekerf team sl, in just your size - 21 inch.

I will send you a PM about my upcoming trip to portland for travel advice and possibly to rent a bike from you for a day or two.

I grew up riding 26" xc rigid and front-squish mtbs in SW Washington on logging roads and home-built singletrack that my buds and I built trying to emulate where the Northshore folks were in those early days ('91-'96) - so of course I lusted after DeKerf, even before I had any idea what "custom" bikes were, or why I wanted them.

gforce
03-20-2018, 03:20 PM
I am in the positive experience camp too with both buying and selling with forum members.
In the big picture, I think it is pretty cool to have the wealth of knowledge and feedback about bikes that the forum freely shares.
It's nice to work on a build (and acquire parts) from an idea that was spawned from the collective opinion of the forum (yes - loving my Look 585 Ultra).

Matthew
03-20-2018, 03:36 PM
Great transactions for me here too. Got some great deals on stuff and try to provide the same to other members. Love this place.

bicycletricycle
03-20-2018, 04:43 PM

I don't get passive aggressive statements about not getting passive aggressive counter-threading.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself ;)

joosttx
03-20-2018, 04:48 PM

A <like> button would be more efficient

But I will post what I did in the dislike thread. Please do not consider this trolling as it wasnt in theother thread:

Selling stuff on the internet sucks when its is a pricey item. Ebay, Paceline and CL doesnt matter. Tons of look-ee-lou’s, cheap-skates and I-wanna-be-your-bros.

Paceline classifieds were not as big as they are now. Before there were less potential buyers but better buyers. As the classifieds have grown there are more buyers but more headaches. My guess there are as many good buyers for highend stuff as they was before. So the quality of customer has dropped. Every buyer (buyer= someone who bought something) I dealt with has been great with the exception of maybe one. And I am perfectly happy with that record. Its just weeding through all the wanna-be’s thats annoying.

My feeling is that the classifies have eaten PL a bit. There is a flea market attitude that is creeping into the vibe of the community. Thats was why I was sooo surprised to see that the idea of PL expanding the classifies to stuff not bike related. I felt to would eat PL even more.

FlashUNC
03-20-2018, 04:57 PM
I don't get passive aggressive statements about not getting passive aggressive counter-threading.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself ;)

Fair enough. I'll adjust to make my point plainer.

Threads like these are needless, pollyanna smarm. Silo'd conversations stifle discussion, and just look juvenile. Not everyone's going to agree all the time. The kumbaya sentiment is a nice and noble one, but so is healthy disagreement.

Great points are being brought up in both threads that would be useful if they were in one locale with, yanno, people talking to each other.

Some people think the classifieds here suck. Some think they rock. Other are in-between. If we segment and bi-furcate the discussion enough, we get cliques just talking to each other.

Clean39T
03-20-2018, 05:02 PM

Threads like these are needless, pollyanna smarm. Silo'd conversations stifle discussion, and just look juvenile. Not everyone's going to agree all the time. The kumbaya sentiment is a nice and noble one, but so is healthy disagreement.

Great points are being brought up in both threads that would be useful if they were in one locale with, yanno, people talking to each other.

Some people think the classifieds here suck. Some think they rock. Other are in-between. If we segment and bi-furcate the discussion enough, we get cliques just talking to each other.

Point taken.

The road to he11 is paved with good intentions, so carve my post on a cobble and toss it in the mud - and let the mods merge the threads if they want to...

brewsmith
03-20-2018, 05:17 PM
Nothing but good experience with pacelines here. it's part of the reason I list here cheaper than anywhere else I post....

KarlC
03-20-2018, 05:20 PM
I'm batting a hundred with my purchases here too. No issues at all. :banana:

+100 on that

joosttx
03-20-2018, 05:29 PM

I never agree with flash when he says I look fat. But we are still friends.

m_sasso
03-20-2018, 05:44 PM
Being a gear junky closely meshes with riding a bike for me. Fascinated by all things mechanical and the classifieds here allow me cosset my bicycle passion.

And I don't want to be outnumbered by the haters!

bicycletricycle
03-20-2018, 05:49 PM
I'm going to keep arguing for fun, for the record though, echo chamber is bad and I agree that people should talk to people they disagree with.

Not sure how dangerous silo'd opinions on the classifieds is.

I dont' think passive aggressiveness is motivated by a "kumbaya sentiment"

"pollyanna smarm" is a surprisingly effective burn. This thread must have really got you worked up, or touched a sensitive spot I guess, I have been getting worked up a lot lately as well.

"If we segment and bi-furcate the discussion enough, we get cliques just talking to each other" Which clique are you in? Seems like you have read both, I bet lots of people read both.

If we were talking about drug legalization or something the echo chambers are more of a problem so I guess we could start getting into the habit on less meaningful issues like the paceline forum.

FlashUNC
03-20-2018, 05:56 PM
I never agree with flash when he says I look fat. But we are still friends.

I'll cop to giving you the finger at the top of a climb, but I don't recall calling you fat when you pulled a Pantani on me going uphill.

galgal
03-20-2018, 06:58 PM
The two riders - er, threads - are racing jowl to jowl, team positivity vs team negativity. Looks like a foregone conclusion folks, TNeg will win. I know who I'm pulling for. Honestly, I love this place, classifieds included. I'm sure TNeg problems are real and frustrating. In my own small sample size, I've had nothing but great experiences in the classifieds, and not just cause hey Colnago or Pegoretti or whatever. You communicate and learn from people, you disagree or get angry, it's a community of which a marketplace is always a part, for better and worse.

rwsaunders
03-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Point taken. The road to he11 is paved with good intentions, so carve my post on a cobble and toss it in the mud - and let the mods merge the threads if they want to...

For a moment I thought that I read that "the road to 11-speed is paved with good intentions..."

GRAVELBIKE
03-23-2018, 09:59 AM
I just posted something in the other one..I have a garage wheelbuilding operation and because of PL, it has been a way to realize a "post retail bike shop owner's" dream of just building wheels. So, I have no complaints.

And fine wheels they are. Been bouncing these off my fair share of rocks and they're as true as the day I picked them up.

https://www.gravelbike.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/WTB-Ranger-color-ground-630.jpg

brownm68
03-23-2018, 10:29 AM
Thank you Clean39t for initiating this thread:) I agree with you 100%! While I don't have a large number of posts. IT's always exciting to see all the cool gear in the classifieds. What's most gratifying to me are the rapports you established during the transaction(s). I'm truly grateful for this Paceline Forum As a cycling fan, this Forum makes my day everyday. Big THANKS to you all:banana: