PDA

View Full Version : WW saddle for CX

superbowlpats
03-17-2018, 01:56 PM
File this under Probably a Dumb Idea but with CX season about 5 months away I figured I'd put my CX bike on a diet (even though i need to drop 10 lbs before CX season). Race weight is 75kg.

Bike is a 2016 Marin Cortina Pro CX (looks like this only grey not blue)
https://www.marinbikes.com/bike-archive/bikes/2016-cortina-cx-pro

Weighs 18.5 with pedals. To help eBAUMANN with his quest to live off the grid I bought his Enve tubular wheels (1274g) and a Thompson KFC bar (210g). So that will get me to 17.52 lbs per my spreadsheet. My stock saddle weighs 299g so I'm looking for suggestions that are sub 175g that can stand up to CX. Thinking perhaps a saddle that comes on high end mtn bikes like the Bontrager montrose pro 172g or Fizik Tundra M1 165g. My ass doesnt seem to care what I sit on, especially for CX. I'd love to try the Tune Komm-Vor at 97g but maybe that's a recipe for disaster (seatpost impalement). Anyone out there riding a lightweight saddle for 'cross?

feFIFO
03-17-2018, 02:50 PM
WTB Silverado carbon. So nice. Haven’t weighed mine, but they’re claiming 169g.

macaroon
03-17-2018, 03:30 PM
Just take a look on ebay for any carbon railed saddle, most will be under 200g.

The Pro Turnix (I think they do other similar models) is one good option. I often see them going cheap because they're not as fashionable as Fizik or Specialized. They're about 150g.

A carbon seatpost would also save you a decent amount of weight.

Once you've done the above, take a razor blade and scrape all the paint off your frame.

Hellgate
03-17-2018, 03:36 PM
I use an old school Flite. Cheap and light. eBay is swimming in them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

zap
03-17-2018, 03:47 PM
I have a Montrose pro saddle on my Emonda. It should hold up too cx duty.

oldpotatoe
03-17-2018, 04:19 PM
Just a note of caution, considering you jump onto this saddle and maybe carbon SP...ya break it and you probably don’t finish. If ya break a carbon post off, you may take a trip to hospital.

superbowlpats
03-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Just a note of caution, considering you jump onto this saddle and maybe carbon SP...ya break it and you probably don’t finish. If ya break a carbon post off, you may take a trip to hospital.

I hear ya! i have a standard Zipp SL20 seatpost (235g) and will probably not go carbon. Seems like more bang for the buck with a new seat.

rnhood
03-17-2018, 04:41 PM
I am on a Montrose Pro on my road bike. A really good saddle.

andrewsuzuki
03-17-2018, 06:22 PM
I've tried dozens of nice saddles. Of the traditionally-shaped ones, the Tune Speedneedle Marathon is both the lightest and most comfortable for me (with chamois). The curvature just happens to fit my anatomy really well. The only problem with it is that there isn't any suspension, so it isn't ideal for a skinny-tire road bike, and maybe not on a cx bike either, depending on terrain. I have it on my mtb now and like it there. Many top european XC racers have used it. I wish someone would take that exact shape and add a bit more padding.

Clean39T
03-17-2018, 06:39 PM
I am on a Montrose Pro on my road bike. A really good saddle.

I'll second that - and Bontrager isn't going to build anything at this point that won't take abuse.

Also look at their MTB saddles...the Kovee...

John H.
03-17-2018, 07:13 PM
I just put a Specialized S-works Phenom on my road bike.
It weighed in at 148 grams- I would call that weight weenie.

zap
03-18-2018, 08:12 AM
I've tried dozens of nice saddles. Of the traditionally-shaped ones, the Tune Speedneedle Marathon is both the lightest and most comfortable for me (with chamois). The curvature just happens to fit my anatomy really well. The only problem with it is that there isn't any suspension, so it isn't ideal for a skinny-tire road bike, and maybe not on a cx bike either, depending on terrain. I have it on my mtb now and like it there. Many top european XC racers have used it. I wish someone would take that exact shape and add a bit more padding.

I have an AX Lightness Apollo (80 grams) on my Crumpton. Great road saddle for me but too stiff for common rougher cx terrain.

eBAUMANN
03-18-2018, 08:52 AM
grab a lightweight specialized saddle...or something from another company with a easy-to-use warranty.

i know friends who would swap out their (specialized) saddles every year from damage sustained during cx season.

if i was going to drop a significant amount of money on a potentially fragile component for cx use, a replacement plan like that would be mighty appealing.

holliscx
03-18-2018, 09:02 AM
As a Pats fan, have you tried letting a little air out of your tires?

superbowlpats
03-18-2018, 10:54 AM
As a Pats fan, have you tried letting a little air out of your tires?

;) well I am going with tubulars this upcoming CX season :)

superbowlpats
04-07-2018, 05:08 PM
Saddle update. Ended getting a Bontrager Affinity Pro Carbon that Trek had on clearance for $100 (reg $200)

same saddle as I have on my road bike and it weighed 145g on my scale saving me 154g and only costing 65 cents per gram of weight savings :banana:

Now what about carbon seatposts? My Zipp SL weighs in at 241g. :eek: