PDA

View Full Version : Rivendell geomtries

eddief
03-16-2018, 04:40 PM
I should know this by now but I don't. I get why GP prefers longer chainstays but why does he "lean toward" slacker than most seat tube and head tube angles?

Just the facts please rather than ragging on GP.

charliedid
03-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Comfort and stability.

Frankwurst
03-16-2018, 05:15 PM
Comfort and stability.

And there you have it.:beer:

Pegoready
03-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Slack STA means less weight on the hands, plus it's better for saddles like Brooks which feature short and rearward biased rails and warrant slack STA's.

Slack HTA's are just a result of the above. The slacker the STA, the shorter the front-center for a given top tube length. The shorter the front-center, the more toe overlap. One can compensate for the slack STA with a slack HTA and more fork rake.

josephr
03-16-2018, 05:52 PM
Slack STA means less weight on the hands, plus it's better for saddles like Brooks which feature short and rearward biased rails and warrant slack STA's.

Slack HTA's are just a result of the above. The slacker the STA, the shorter the front-center for a given top tube length. The shorter the front-center, the more toe overlap. One can compensate for the slack STA with a slack HTA and more fork rake.

J.R. "Bob" Dobbs approves of this lesson in slack!

merckx
03-16-2018, 06:19 PM
Rivendell geo is squarely in my wheelhouse. Years ago I began hammering my saddle rearward on a Colnago with my palm to get my ass where it belonged. I even ground off the front of the seatpost cradle to eek-out an additional few millimeters. Merckx Century geometry, and then Dario delivered me to the end of my competitive career with adequate setback. Rivendells are cool. Just don't Fasterbackwards them.

PS: I currently own an Atlantis, and it is sublime.

moobikes
03-16-2018, 06:29 PM
Rivendell also likes to put their customers in a more upright position with swept back handlebars - better done with slack seat angles.

merckx
03-16-2018, 06:33 PM
Rivendell also likes to put their customers in a more upright position with swept back handlebars - better done with slack seat angles.

I don't disagree with this, but they can also be built Fasterforward.

Ken Robb
03-16-2018, 07:59 PM
I had an Allrounder (like an Atlantis) that I rode with Nitto Noodles in a Technomic DeLuxe stem and then with Moustache Bars in a Dirt Drop stem. It was good either way but advancing years and arthritis made me happier with the latter set-up.

I'm still hoping (pretending?) that I can fiddle bars/stems to get as comfy on my Strada Bianca and my Rambouillet. The latter will probably be the better candidate for an old guy set-up.

belopsky
03-17-2018, 11:21 AM
I itch towards "Fasterforward" but I don't race and typically just lone-wolf it and compete against myself, so I always go back to slacker geometries. My Gunnar Crosshairs went from a 11speed Shimano 105 to a Shimergo 10 shifting 8 to an 8 speed all friction. Might need to get the bars a bit higher :banana:

cachagua
03-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Went from a 11speed Shimano 105 to a Shimergo 10 shifting 8 to an 8 speed all friction. Might need to get the bars a bit higher...

That's the spirit! I've been collecting parts to set my Atlantis up 8-speed.

As far as its geometry -- I've built a stand that allows me to make fairly precise measurements of stack & reach, seat setback, seat-to-bar drop etc., and part of what I hope this will show me is what effect wheelbase and front center/chainstay variations have on the way the bike feels, when I'm sitting in exactly the same place relative to the pedals and bars. The Atlantis will be pretty much the outlier, compared with all the road bikes and the all-road bikes, so the effects (whatever they turn out to be) should be exaggerated and easy to perceive... should be an interesting process.

MikeD
03-17-2018, 02:36 PM
I think slacker seat tube angles go better with Brooks saddles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro