PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo 5 bolt chainring availability

chiasticon
03-14-2018, 10:59 AM
if I purchase a Campagnolo 5 arm crank, how screwed am I when the chainrings wear out? do I need to set up eBay alerts to let me know whenever one pops up, and just hoard them until needed? a quick Google says there are some around, but the supply of new ones appears to be dwindling...

is this assessment correct?

oldpotatoe
03-14-2018, 11:03 AM
if I purchase a Campagnolo 5 arm crank, how screwed am I when the chainrings wear out? do I need to set up eBay alerts to let me know whenever one pops up, and just hoard them until needed? a quick Google says there are some around, but the supply of new ones appears to be dwindling...

is this assessment correct?

No...they made 5 arm cranks and chainrings for over 30 years. The 4 arm just came to be 3 years ago. Older CRs from Campag, TA and Stronglight easy to find.

chiasticon
03-14-2018, 11:04 AM
No...they made 5 arm cranks and chainrings for over 30 years. The 4 arm just came to be 3 years ago. Older CRs from Campag, TA and Stronglight easy to find.I should have clarified that I meant Campy chainrings specifically.

El Chaba
03-14-2018, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't shy away from T.A. or Stronglight rings as they are of excellent quality, including the ramps and pins....

Clean39T
03-14-2018, 11:19 AM
I just bought some from an eBay seller in Ukraine that looked legit - paid ~$85 shipped iirc. 39/53 and like-new. Will see if they actually show up at some point :eek:

Mark McM
03-14-2018, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't shy away from T.A. or Stronglight rings as they are of excellent quality, including the ramps and pins....

I agree. Plus, T.A. and Stronglight chainrings are available in a wider variety of sizes than offered by Campagnolo.

Ralph
03-14-2018, 01:09 PM
I recently bought a 40 and a 50 (50/40) brand new 5 arm silver rings off E bay. Was from a Comp Triple...same as Centaur rings. Pins and ramps. Fairly cheap.

oliver1850
03-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Though the group has ceased to exist, silver and black Veloce 5 arm rings (34/50 and 39/52-53) are still listed in the 2018 parts catalog. These are hidden bolt rings so will only fit similar cranks.

Mark McM
03-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Though the group has ceased to exist, silver and black Veloce 5 arm rings (34/50 and 39/52-53) are still listed in the 2018 parts catalog. These are hidden bolt rings so will only fit similar cranks.

Careful there - as I learned (the hard way) not all 5 arm hidden bolt rings are interchangeable. Specifically, Centaur hidden bolt rings and below are not interchangeable with Athena and above hidden bolt rings.

Details: The hidden 5th bolt mounts to the inner face of the crank arm, whereas the other 4 bolts mount to the outer face of the spider arms. This means that the lateral offset between the spider arm mounting face and the crank arm mounting face have to be the same width as the chainring plate. Unfortunately, Centaur and below rings are thinner (2.7mm) and Athena and above rings are thicker (3.5mm). If attempting to mix chainrings and cranks, the difference in ring thickness and mounting face offset will result in a warped chainring.

(Also of note is that T.A. and Stronglight chainrings are typically 3.5mm, for compatibility with Athena and above.)

oliver1850
03-14-2018, 02:47 PM
That's why I said similar cranks. No idea what the OP is considering buying.

choke
03-14-2018, 03:18 PM
Careful there - as I learned (the hard way) not all 5 arm hidden bolt rings are interchangeable. Specifically, Centaur hidden bolt rings and below are not interchangeable with Athena and above hidden bolt rings.

Details: The hidden 5th bolt mounts to the inner face of the crank arm, whereas the other 4 bolts mount to the outer face of the spider arms. This means that the lateral offset between the spider arm mounting face and the crank arm mounting face have to be the same width as the chainring plate. Unfortunately, Centaur and below rings are thinner (2.7mm) and Athena and above rings are thicker (3.5mm). If attempting to mix chainrings and cranks, the difference in ring thickness and mounting face offset will result in a warped chainring.

(Also of note is that T.A. and Stronglight chainrings are typically 3.5mm, for compatibility with Athena and above.)That's not necessarily true. I have two Athena UT silver alloy cranks and they both take 'normal' chainrings.

And for the OP, I use Stronglight rings on both and I actually prefer them to Campy rings.

Mark McM
03-14-2018, 03:21 PM
That's not necessarily true. I have two Athena UT silver alloy cranks and they both take 'normal' chainrings.

What's considered 'normal'?

choke
03-14-2018, 03:31 PM
What's considered 'normal'?Typical chainring nuts and bolts in all the holes...i.e. the chainrings aren't threaded. But I did mis-read your post; I read it as referring to threaded rings vs. non-threaded ones but after reading again I see that wasn't what you meant.

IIRC the Stronglight rings that I use were listed as "Centaur" and they are marked "9/10 speed" but work fine on that alloy Athena which is 11sp.

Ralph
03-14-2018, 04:22 PM
If you are going to need Campy chain rings from square taper cranks within the next year or so....start watching E bay now....and you will likely find new ones. At least in the double and triple combinations that were used... 52/39, 53/39, 42/52, 42/53, 30-40-50, 30-42-53 (and the 2 big rings work fine on doubles), and sometimes even a 5 arm (110 BCD) 34-48 (Century gray) and 34-50 (Century Gray) square taper. Then their were the 4 arm versions (Chorus and Record square tapers).....pretty much same chain ring combinations. Have seen all of them on E Bay time to time. Even early carbon square taper rings.

chiasticon
03-14-2018, 04:29 PM
lots of great info coming in, thanks. as I was hoping, the options are still there, even I may have to go outside of Campy; which evidently would still work great.

fwiw, I'm looking at either an older SRM or Power2Max 5-bolt crank. I don't mind the 4-bolt design but the new prices for those two are just too rich for me and I don't want to do Stages (been burned too badly there). I'm considering pedal-based power meters still, but remain unconvinced.

Clean39T
03-14-2018, 05:32 PM
lots of great info coming in, thanks. as I was hoping, the options are still there, even I may have to go outside of Campy; which evidently would still work great.

fwiw, I'm looking at either an older SRM or Power2Max 5-bolt crank. I don't mind the 4-bolt design but the new prices for those two are just too rich for me and I don't want to do Stages (been burned too badly there). I'm considering pedal-based power meters still, but remain unconvinced.

Guy on FB has a nice Infocrank for $650 - 52/36 and low miles. Could put you in touch...

chiasticon
03-14-2018, 06:34 PM
Guy on FB has a nice Infocrank for $650 - 52/36 and low miles. Could put you in touch...thanks, but if I don't go to a Campy one I'll just stick with my Power2Max/Sram one. it shifts great with a Chorus group, just doesn't have the cohesive look. still deciding exactly how much I care about that... :help:

skiezo
03-14-2018, 07:02 PM
I put a set of TA CR on one of my 5 arms and I have to say that I prefer them to the campy rings,but it is personal preference if you want to stay all OEM/campy.
There is a wider range for some of the other brands that make it a very appealing option.
Here is a good article from Peter White cycles on chainrings.
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.php

beamin
03-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Chiming in to say that Stronglight's CT2 five arm 135 chainrings run perfectly with my Record cranks. They shift as well as the Record chainrings they replaced.

XXCycle keeps them in stock.