PDA

View Full Version : Disc Wheel Recommendations

dumbod
03-14-2018, 07:00 AM
I just committed to a new Parlee Altum Disc so I'm in the market for a new wheelset. My riding will be on New England roads with an occasional dirt road thrown in. I want a 28mm alloy (when you weigh as much as I do, saving a few grams with carbon rims is the least of my problems). So two questions:

1) Does it make sense to go tubeless?
2) What set would you recommend?

Thanks

.RJ
03-14-2018, 07:10 AM
So many good options right now.

Do you want pre/factory built wheelset or hand built?

Budget?

I've been very happy with my hope RS4/easton R90SL combo - with Clement MSO's its been a super reliable tubeless setup - but there are a LOT of good choices out there.

dbnm
03-14-2018, 07:15 AM
These!
https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/ksyrium-pro-ust-disc-rr0972.html#1028=3283

I just got the non-disc version and love them.

old fat man
03-14-2018, 07:20 AM
Absolutely get tubeless compatible even if you're not going to use tubeless tires at first.

If you are concerned that you are heavy and rough on wheels, you should buy something with conventional J bend spokes so they are easy to true and replace if necessary. Having proprietary spokes is an expensive PITA if damage occurs.

crankles
03-14-2018, 07:21 AM
when you weigh as much as I do, saving a few grams with carbon rims is the least of my problems:

I don't think this is as much of a concern today. I've been finding that the tubeless Carbon rims I've been using from light-bicycle are holding up far better than the aluminum pacentis... gratned I'm only 165lbs, but iv'e been pretty hard on them in CX races and our local rock garden trials.

but to answer... I'll 2nd those hope rs4 hubs. I've got lots of miles on Stans 340s and the Iron cross rims. And I'm all tubeless these days for Road and Cross (mostly...still a tubular wheelset in the mix).

alembical
03-14-2018, 04:32 PM
definitely tubeless. find a good local builder and talk to them about what they like and what you are looking for. I am using a locally built up wheelset with Hed Belgium Plus rims that I am very happy with. Tubeless has been real nice for me.

Hilltopperny
03-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Tubeless is a great option. I am heavy at 230ish winter weight and am running reynolds ATR and aero 46 db wheelsets on my disc equipped bikes. Both are very nice , smooth and strong.

I have a set of shimano rx830 alloy/carbon fairing on my r240 disc and they are also nice wheels, but heavier and not quite as smooth as my carbon hoops.

I also have a set of Stans wheels laced to dt swiss 240s. I have not ridden them yet, but they are tubeless ready and look pretty stout in comparison to the others I have.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gummee
03-14-2018, 08:34 PM
For nasty roads and gravel, tubeless is good. Still prefer tubulars, but I'm odd that way

I've got some older Bontrager RXLs that work really well for that. CLD and light rims.

I haven't really tried out my new Ksyriums, but they came with tubes in them and no valves/etc

M

peanutgallery
03-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Pre built wheels kinda suck. Doesn't matter if you weigh 300 or 100 pounds...you get the same wheel. Get a a hub, count, spoke, tension and rim combo that works for you. Wide and tubeless.

Any wheelbuilder worth his salt will set you straight on a combo that fits more or less for you. If in doubt, call Old Potato or the like

Andy sti
03-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Check out November Bicycles. They have a bunch of tubeless build options. Good quality and good prices. Next wheels also has some great options and he's a forum sponsor.

tylercheung
03-14-2018, 10:31 PM
The new H plus Son Hydra's are out, maybe a nice disc version of their Archetypes?

fogrider
03-15-2018, 12:08 AM
a buddy broke a spoke a couple months ago and the rear wheel went completely out of true and could not be ridden. a couple of weeks later, I broke a spoke on my lunch ride and my carbon wheel was only slightly out of true. I finished my ride and road another 15 mile before I could get another spoke and true it back up. I'm willing to bet most carbon wheels today are stronger than aluminum wheels.

oldpotatoe
03-15-2018, 05:22 AM
I just committed to a new Parlee Altum Disc so I'm in the market for a new wheelset. My riding will be on New England roads with an occasional dirt road thrown in. I want a 28mm alloy (when you weigh as much as I do, saving a few grams with carbon rims is the least of my problems). So two questions:

1) Does it make sense to go tubeless?
2) What set would you recommend?

Thanks

PM or email and I can design and build you a set..like appropriate hubs, axle-wise, DT511 rims, Sapim spokes, type wheelset.

cp51errc@gmail.com

dumbod
03-15-2018, 06:13 AM
Purely by coincidence, I found this link in my mailbox this morning.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/?mc_cid=1c33a2e3ca&mc_eid=37dfda8932

:confused:

dem
03-15-2018, 07:14 AM
All the downsides of carbon clinchers go away with disc.. and the upsides increase with rim width and rim height.

The reliability of enjoyment of tubeless seems to go up with bigger tires and lower pressure... so if you're a big boy, going to the 700x38 Gravelking slicks or similar would be a glorious option.

Happy riding!

Likes2ridefar
03-15-2018, 07:15 AM
Pre built wheels kinda suck. Doesn't matter if you weigh 300 or 100 pounds...you get the same wheel. Get a a hub, count, spoke, tension and rim combo that works for you. Wide and tubeless.

Any wheelbuilder worth his salt will set you straight on a combo that fits more or less for you. If in doubt, call Old Potato or the like

They don’t all kinda suck. I really like my ksyrium all road wheels on my roubaix. Wide rims, lower spoke count than most customs, great rear hub similar to a king hub in sound and engagement, stiff, look neat, easy tubeless ready setup.