PDA

View Full Version : RIP Stephen Hawking

gasman
03-13-2018, 11:53 PM
A brilliant physicist who probably lived longer with ALS than any other patient has.
His intellect was mind boggling .

cadence90
03-14-2018, 12:10 AM
Oh wow.
"A Brief History of Time" was such a good read, again and again, for a compete non-physicist such as myself. Brilliant.

RIP forever out there, Mr. Hawking.

mcteague
03-14-2018, 05:17 AM
And to think, that when first diagnosed with ALS, he was given about a two year life expectancy!

Tim

Vamoots58
03-14-2018, 05:26 AM
His final chapeau to the world of science was passing on Pi Day!!

oldpotatoe
03-14-2018, 05:51 AM
A brilliant physicist who probably lived longer with ALS than any other patient has.
His intellect was mind boggling .

A shame. Brilliant but ALS(?)..makes one wonder about 'life'..RIP.

Mikej
03-14-2018, 06:21 AM
Can any of us even comprehend his intelligence?

makoti
03-14-2018, 06:51 AM
Fitting, I guess, that he dies on Pi day. He was an inspiration to so many, brilliant beyond anything I can imagine.

Tony T
03-14-2018, 07:04 AM
A shame. Brilliant but ALS(?)..makes one wonder about 'life'..RIP.

He was a man who pushed the limits — in his intellectual life, to be sure, but also in his professional and personal lives. He traveled the globe to scientific meetings, visiting every continent, including Antarctica; wrote best-selling books about his work; married twice; fathered three children; and was not above appearing on “The Simpsons,” “Star Trek: The Next Generation” or “The Big Bang Theory.”

He celebrated his 60th birthday by going up in a hot-air balloon. The same week, he also crashed his electric-powered wheelchair while speeding around a corner in Cambridge, breaking his leg.

In April 2007, a few months after his 65th birthday, he took part in a zero-gravity flight aboard a specially equipped Boeing 727, a padded aircraft that flies a roller-coaster trajectory to produce fleeting periods of weightlessness. It was a prelude to a hoped-for trip to space with Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic company aboard SpaceShipTwo.

Asked why he took such risks, Dr. Hawking said, “I want to show that people need not be limited by physical handicaps as long as they are not disabled in spirit.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/14/obituaries/stephen-hawking-dead.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Tony T
03-14-2018, 07:14 AM

And he was born 300 years to the day after the death of Galileo, who had begun the study of gravity.

"His only complaint about his speech synthesizer, which was manufactured in California, was that it gave him an American accent"

jimcav
03-14-2018, 07:14 AM
brilliant and really helped to make some tough science palatable for the masses. I hope others take up that mantle

William
03-14-2018, 07:20 AM
Oh wow.
"A Brief History of Time" was such a good read, again and again, for a compete non-physicist such as myself. Brilliant.

RIP forever out there, Mr. Hawking.

+100

I've read that book a number of times. Had my nose stuck in that book on a cross country flight, turned down headphones to listen to the Brady Bunch movie and didn't even pick up on the stewardess hitting on me I was so engrossed in his book. Thanks (:cool:) and thanks (:rolleyes:) Mr. Hawking!! :)

RIP

William

makoti
03-14-2018, 10:03 AM
+100

I've read that book a number of times. Had my nose stuck in that book on a cross country flight, turned down headphones to listen to the Brady Bunch movie and didn't even pick up on the stewardess hitting on me I was so engrossed in his book. Thanks (:cool:) and thanks (:rolleyes:) Mr. Hawking!! :)

RIP
William

Didn't know that book came out in the 1960's. ;)

OtayBW
03-14-2018, 03:06 PM
Ah - Good point!

William
03-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Didn't know that book came out in the 1960's. ;)

C'mon man, that movie came out in 95!!:fight: :)

William

paredown
03-14-2018, 03:32 PM
My near brush with fame--he nearly took me out with his wheelchair at Cambridge, down by the Cam and close to the Student Union.

I came around a blind corner and he was wailing on his chair--I had to jump out of his way. Kind of great though--not worried about a spill or being super cautious.

I love the spirit of adventure and not being defined by your handicap. RIP Dr. Hawking.

jlwdm
03-14-2018, 03:47 PM
C'mon man, that movie came out in 95!!:fight: :)

William

That was the point - the use of the term "Stewardess."

My wife went to a semester in Rome and is passionate about art, travel and fashion. After a year teaching school she became a stewardess for Pan Am and ended up flying internationally for her entire career. The term "Stewardess" does not bother her at all.

Jeff

Tony T
03-14-2018, 03:56 PM
“Women. They are a complete mystery.”

cadence90
03-14-2018, 04:34 PM
+100

RIP

William
William, please be completely honest now, to us and to Mr. Hawking.

Q:
IF you really did have your "nose stuck in that book on a cross country flight"
AND you "turned down headphones to listen to the Brady Bunch movie"
THEN HOW is it that you "didn't even pick up on the stewardess hitting on me I was so engrossed in his book."? :confused:

A:
OF COURSE you picked up on the "airline attendant of the fairer, female persuasion" hitting on you, otherwise you would not have written with such conviction about a cosmic (in a way) event that you did not directly observe but are nonetheless absolutely certain occurred....

So, come on...tell the truth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH_efm8jioI).

;)

soulspinner
03-14-2018, 04:47 PM
brilliant and really helped to make some tough science palatable for the masses. I hope others take up that mantle

My first thought this morning as I spoke with my rocket scientist dad...............

makoti
03-14-2018, 04:54 PM
That was the point - the use of the term "Stewardess."

My wife went to a semester in Rome and is passionate about art, travel and fashion. After a year teaching school she became a stewardess for Pan Am and ended up flying internationally for her entire career. The term "Stewardess" does not bother her at all.

Jeff

I was a "stewardess" of the male persuasion for 28 years. It's a bit of both a joke & a badge of honor.

d_douglas
03-14-2018, 05:03 PM
Asked why he took such risks, Dr. Hawking said, “I want to show that people need not be limited by physical handicaps as long as they are not disabled in spirit.”

Brilliant quote. My wife works as a fundraiser for an organization that supports people with complex disabilities. Her favourite colleague is a youngish guy with ALS - he is an engineer and a complete firecracker, all from a wheelchair :)

Peter P.
03-14-2018, 06:10 PM
Wouldn't it have been such an honor if, had he passed a little sooner, his body was put in Starman's space suit and launched into space aboard Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster?

Lanternrouge
03-14-2018, 06:31 PM
Wouldn't it have been such an honor if, had he passed a little sooner, his body was put in Starman's space suit and launched into space aboard Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster?

That would have been awesome.

William
03-15-2018, 09:48 AM
William, please be completely honest now, to us and to Mr. Hawking.

Q:
IF you really did have your "nose stuck in that book on a cross country flight"
AND you "turned down headphones to listen to the Brady Bunch movie"
THEN HOW is it that you "didn't even pick up on the stewardess hitting on me I was so engrossed in his book."? :confused:

A:
OF COURSE you picked up on the "airline attendant of the fairer, female persuasion" hitting on you, otherwise you would not have written with such conviction about a cosmic (in a way) event that you did not directly observe but are nonetheless absolutely certain occurred....

So, come on...tell the truth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH_efm8jioI).

;)

Compiling different events observed across time after the flight commenced. Add to that she showed up where I was waiting for my connecting flight, ended up working on my connecting flight, and basically cornered me getting off the plane asking where I was visiting and how long. here, let me graph it for you...:D

William

Tony T
03-15-2018, 10:52 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Cosmic_History_020622_b.jpg/800px-Cosmic_History_020622_b.jpg