PDA

View Full Version : Campy Record fr der - convert to braze-on

yeastor
10-09-2006, 11:32 AM
I have a 2005 Campy Record front derailleur with clip-on body. I would like to convert it to a braze-on to use on a different bike. From the schematics it looks as if the clip-on body can be switched for a braze-on body. Is that so? If it is, is there an internet source for the parts, or is this a straightforward LBS purchase?

Thanks.

saab2000
10-09-2006, 11:41 AM
AFAIK, you cannot convert a clamp-on front derailleur to a braze-on front derailleur.

DfCas
10-09-2006, 01:03 PM
I routinely convert a bunch of racing triples I have.The cage portion is held on by a small circlip,and the attaching portions are interchangeable.I have not done a Record,but I suspect it is the same.

Alas,buying the part may cost as much or more than a whole derailleur.Maybe you can find someone to trade-you remove yours,they theirs,and you keep your cage.Why keep your cage? Its the wear part and it makes for a fair trade.

Karbon
10-09-2006, 02:14 PM
I have a 2005 Campy Record front derailleur with clip-on body. I would like to convert it to a braze-on to use on a different bike. From the schematics it looks as if the clip-on body can be switched for a braze-on body. Is that so? If it is, is there an internet source for the parts, or is this a straightforward LBS purchase?

Thanks.

I don't know where you can get the parts, although Campy does have part numbers for them.

If you remove the small bolt that sits below the cage pivot on the rear facing side of the body (shiny rounded end of pivot pin is visable) you can slide off the cage assembly. It will then slide on any other Campy body (they are all the same part) and can be locked on with that little bolt (use a little blue Loctite).

I buy end of line FD's (Centaur 2006 are real cheap right now) when I'm buying other stuff for this purpose. You can buy a low end FD for about $20 which is probably less than the spare part.

marcus
10-09-2006, 02:24 PM
I have swapped cages from clamp-on to braze-on on older campy stuff. Just remove the c-clip and slide the assembly off the pegs. However, there have been compatilbility issues, for example between super record and C-record. I would think that within the same model, like Record, that the switch would work but I would check first. Maybe try Tim at Branford Bike. Good luck.