PDA

View Full Version : Sagan-"It's about the show"

oldpotatoe
03-13-2018, 06:42 AM
"If the fans appreciate that, then I'm very happy to do that for the fans, it's nice. I don't care about victories, it's more about the show," he said.

"It's good, I'm happy with the performance but, well, it's second. I'm happy I didn't crash, I'm healthy and that's the more important thing."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagan-i-dont-care-about-victories-its-more-about-the-show/

Isn't that what Hulk Hogan said? "It's all about the show".

:)

saab2000
03-13-2018, 07:11 AM
Pro cycling is entertainment and he's probably the most popular rider. Fans love him. But he's also a super talented rider and has mad skills.

Cancellara called him a rock star and he's not far off on that assessment.

Most other riders would love to have his resume and abilities. I think most of his fellow riders like him too. He doesn't have too many enemies that I'm aware of.

oldpotatoe
03-13-2018, 07:30 AM
Pro cycling is entertainment and he's probably the most popular rider. Fans love him. But he's also a super talented rider and has mad skills.

Most other riders would love to have his resume and abilities. I think most of his fellow riders like him too. He doesn't have too many enemies that I'm aware of.

Glad he 'grew up'...cycling needs 'heroes" as the 'doping era' continues(Wiggo, Froomie/Sky, ++).

MattTuck
03-13-2018, 08:05 AM
Generally, I'd think: panache < winning < winning with panache.

I view his exploits at MSR last year as an example of his philosophy, and in terms of excitement, I tend to agree. Made for a way more exciting race than watching a group of 40 guys make it over the Poggio and then do a sprint. Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.

But then again, this is probably part of a strategy to keep other riders from marking him too much.

Andy sti
03-13-2018, 08:10 AM
Watch the last 8km of yesterday's stage at Tirreno! He is pretty incredible.

Tony
03-13-2018, 09:21 AM

He's the Bruce Lee of cycling! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncapPrTusA

FlashUNC
03-13-2018, 09:34 AM
There was a time when knowing who's wheel not to be on was considered a skill. Yanno, avoiding the crash that then leads to the ridiculously unnecessary chase.

But hey, let's live in an era when wins don't matter and we can call someone the greatest cyclist out there even though he doesn't win races. Let's literally celebrate second place.

C'mon man.

saab2000
03-13-2018, 09:38 AM
There was a time when knowing who's wheel not to be on was considered a skill. Yanno, avoiding the crash that then leads to the ridiculously unnecessary chase.

But hey, let's live in an era when wins don't matter and we can call someone the greatest cyclist out there even though he doesn't win races. Let's literally celebrate second place.

C'mon man.

Yeah, but can the winner do this? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaD_TmlNeI

KarlC
03-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Watch the last 8km of yesterday's stage at Tirreno! He is pretty incredible.

Pretty impressive, See the below at about 2:20 in .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWtOgMc7Tvw&feature=youtu.be

nickl
03-13-2018, 09:50 AM
Nail him for one quote? I would rather let his palmarès speak for itself.

.RJ
03-13-2018, 09:54 AM
The difference with Sagan, other than his bike handling skills, is his willingness to lose.

That's what won him the worlds last year.

saab2000
03-13-2018, 09:56 AM

I agree. He's happy. His sponsors are happy. The race organizers are ecstatic. The fans are happy. What's not to like?

His resume speaks for itself. Many wins, including many high profile wins. It's a results resume anyone can be proud of.

FlashUNC
03-13-2018, 10:08 AM

I agree. He's happy. His sponsors are happy. The race organizers are ecstatic. The fans are happy. What's not to like?

His resume speaks for itself. Many wins, including many high profile wins. It's a results resume anyone can be proud of.

One Monument win. One.

For supposedly the greatest one day rider in a generation. One.

Guys in the pro peloton who have won more monuments than this dude:
John Degenkolb
Alexander Kristoff
Simon Gerrans
Dan Martin
Mr Stage Racer Vincenzo Nibali.

But hey, he's got the same number of Monuments as Arnaud Demare. So he's got that going for him.

tigoat
03-13-2018, 10:11 AM
A win is a win and the vise versa. What's up with all these impressive chase and entertaining BS? He was on Kittel's wheel and lost at the end. If I was a sponsor I would not be happy with a second place.

saab2000
03-13-2018, 10:13 AM
One Monument win. One.

John Degenkolb
Alexander Kristoff
Simon Gerrans
Dan Martin

But hey, he's got the same number of Monuments as Arnaud Demare. So he's got that going for him.

They're also top tier riders. I'd like to see a comparison of top-10 finishes and stage wins.

Plus, he's a three-time World Champion and that ain't chopped liver.

He's not the greatest 1-day rider of his generation. Not until he wins more of the Monuments. I hope he does. Meanwhile, he's always exciting and he's won a bunch of stages and green jerseys. I see nothing to disparage in his career.

eBAUMANN
03-13-2018, 10:14 AM
One Monument win. One.

John Degenkolb
Alexander Kristoff
Simon Gerrans
Dan Martin

Who gives a ****?
People don't remember winners, they remember icons.
Sometimes those people are one in the same, sometimes not.
Bike racing is not ONLY about who wins.

pdmtong
03-13-2018, 10:19 AM
That guy has the reflexes of a Bengali tiger. Play / pause that video and you see his rear wheel go 90d right and him tripod his leg to stay up. One second everyone is cruising in a pack. The next second you have to react else hit the floor

That guy can chase back from a crash or flat or mechanical like no one else.

Consistently remarkable display of reflexes and power.

Hard to believe a few years ago he and the cannodale bus were parked blocks away from the masses and really unbothered lining up for the Amgen tour of California

Jaybee
03-13-2018, 10:27 AM
A win is a win and the vise versa. What's up with all these impressive chase and entertaining BS? He was on Kittel's wheel and lost at the end. If I was a sponsor I would not be happy with a second place.

No one is talking about Marcel Kittel. Many people are talking about Sagan because:

1) most riders would've been on the deck in that situation
2) the select few that could stay up probably just cruise in with the bunch instead of bunny hopping curbs to get themselves back in the mix.

As a cycling fan, that was awesome. I think his sponsors are pretty happy.

mcteague
03-13-2018, 10:58 AM
He's the Bruce Lee of cycling! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncapPrTusA

Except that ping pong video is a well known fake.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bruce-lee-ping-pong/

Tim

chiasticon
03-13-2018, 11:03 AM
curb hop was cool I guess. pretty risky move just to pass one guy though, and still not win.

FlashUNC
03-13-2018, 11:06 AM
I see nothing to disparage in his career.

By this point in their respective careers, guys like Boonen were far more accomplished one-day riders, particularly in Monuments. He's completely overhyped for his actual palmares, with nothing but a litany of excuses when he loses. Which, outside of Worlds, is quite a lot.

He's Erik Zabel with a better marketing team and better at interviews. Course, Zabel won 4 Milan-SanRemos. Sagan's got a ways to catch up there.

.RJ
03-13-2018, 11:08 AM
One Monument win. One.

And anyone from this crowd has won... what?

saab2000
03-13-2018, 11:13 AM

I won a time trial once. :D And a bunch of town like sprints. Do those count?

GregL
03-13-2018, 11:14 AM
I won a time trial once. :D And a bunch of town like sprints. Do those count?
I can claim a 4th grade spelling bee!

Jaybee
03-13-2018, 11:18 AM

I won "dad of the year" two years back, but finished 2nd last year. Got a sweet t-shirt though.

oldpotatoe
03-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Who gives a ****?
People don't remember winners, they remember icons.
Sometimes those people are one in the same, sometimes not.
Bike racing is not ONLY about who wins.

Agree...ask 10 US ‘cyclists’ if they’ve heard of Kittel or Sagan.Sagan is well known, good palmares, fairly young, early in his career. He will retire well known, liked and......wealthy, sponsors love him, cuz fans love him and fans spend money.

thwart
03-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Glad he 'grew up'...cycling needs 'heroes' as the 'doping era' continues (Wiggo, Froomie/Sky, ++).

This.

+100.

notsew
03-13-2018, 11:54 AM
The quote at the top of this thread is why he's great. He just wants to entertain and have a good time. The fact that he's also wins some stuff (apparently not enough monuments though - I think we got it on that one) is just a bonus.

This little interview snippet had me cracking up the other day: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgGb_lbjxuq/?hl=en&taken-by=petosagan

He's gotten me a lot more interested in road racing. There's no denying he's good for the sport - unless you just want to be part of an inside club that no body else cares about... like the folks that hate bands once they get a record deal and "sell out"

R3awak3n
03-13-2018, 11:55 AM
if there was 50 Sagans, that would convince me to actually watch a care a little about pro cycling. (sagan sans the ass grabbing/whatever else dumb he has done)

FlashUNC
03-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Ah yes, how dare us riff raff tug on the cloak of those in the arena in, yanno, a spectator sport.

bpm
03-13-2018, 12:35 PM
By this point in their respective careers, guys like Boonen were far more accomplished one-day riders, particularly in Monuments. He's completely overhyped for his actual palmares, with nothing but a litany of excuses when he loses. Which, outside of Worlds, is quite a lot.

He's Erik Zabel with a better marketing team and better at interviews. Course, Zabel won 4 Milan-SanRemos. Sagan's got a ways to catch up there.

You have denied it in the past, but it really sounds like Peter Sagan should be paying rent for all the space he takes in your head. He may be overhyped, or he may not. He certainly doesn't have as many wins as many of the great riders you listed, and time will tell if he ever will rise to their level.

However, you continue to imply, or even outright state, that his wins are somehow of lesser quality, and you reference his one monument win. Greg Van Avermaet, who you have previously called a "GOD" also has exactly one monument win, and he's several years older. If you compare their palmares, they are strikingly similar. I know you don't like Sagan, and maybe he is overhyped, but it's hard to take your criticism seriously when you claim you don't like him because he's overhyped, yet you call GVA a god.

Matthew
03-13-2018, 12:39 PM
I won a Cat. 5 state Crit title once. And got dropped the following week like a bad habit. Won a state bowling title when I was 12!!! But really, we have to do one of these threads again? Always turns ugly no matter what side of Sagan you are on. Personally I love the dude.

crankles
03-13-2018, 12:48 PM

I recently won a Breadwinner Frame/Fork ...drops mike....

fiamme red
03-13-2018, 12:50 PM
And anyone from this crowd has won... what?I've won quite a few eBay auctions! :)

.RJ
03-13-2018, 12:52 PM
I recently won a Breadwinner Frame/Fork ...drops mike....

cant argue with that! i'm more jealous of that than Sagan's triple rainbows...

FlashUNC
03-13-2018, 01:05 PM
You have denied it in the past, but it really sounds like Peter Sagan should be paying rent for all the space he takes in your head. He may be overhyped, or he may not. He certainly doesn't have as many wins as many of the great riders you listed, and time will tell if he ever will rise to their level.

However, you continue to imply, or even outright state, that his wins are somehow of lesser quality, and you reference his one monument win. Greg Van Avermaet, who you have previously called a "GOD" also has exactly one monument win, and he's several years older. If you compare their palmares, they are strikingly similar. I know you don't like Sagan, and maybe he is overhyped, but it's hard to take your criticism seriously when you claim you don't like him because he's overhyped, yet you call GVA a god.

GvA's breakthrough has been revelatory and this is really the essence of fandom. Especially with sports man.

Logic has little to do with it. GvA won an Olympics road race that Sagan bagged out of for being too hilly. He'd rather spend his time on a marketing stunt. Meanwhile Greg is wearing gold and cleaning house at the Flandrian classics.

And as far as headspace, I spend far more time thinking about GvA, Gilbert and others kick butt rather Captain Wheelie and his slackjawed fans who are amazed at yet another wheelie and some second places. But hey, fingers crossed he doesn't ride into the barriers at Ronde again this year.

bpm
03-13-2018, 01:11 PM
It's the first time you've admitted that logic has little to do with it.

It's all good, we are all entitled to like who we like. I happen to like GVA as much as Sagan. I think they are both good for the sport in their own way.

FlashUNC
03-13-2018, 01:26 PM
It's the first time you've admitted that logic has little to do with it.

It's all good, we are all entitled to like who we like. I happen to like GVA as much as Sagan. I think they are both good for the sport in their own way.

I've never made any bones about the fact fandom has little basis in rational thinking, and that my barometer for success in bike racing -- Monument wins, specifically Roubaix -- is angled entirely around my specific view of what interests me in the sport: one day races, crazy courses and conditions, tough races with aggressive racing. And Sagan falls flat on all accounts.

I find the stories of GvA, Gilbert and others far more compelling. Ye Gods, Gilbert decided with 50k to go in Flanders "you know, let's just solo this thing and see what happens." How the man finds a saddle that can support leadshot-weight cajones like that I'll never know. Or guys like Kwiatkowski, who took his first major pro paycheck and instead of buying himself a car or house, re-invested it back in the junior team that got him to where he is today.

But wheelies over wins, I guess.

JStonebarger
03-13-2018, 01:51 PM
I have my favorites, but I must not be much of a "fan" -- I've never taken so much joy in disliking a rider or team.

Sagan has had wins as well as wheelies. I imagine each one stings you a bit more.

m4rk540
03-13-2018, 02:57 PM
Specialized S-Works Tarmac Sagan Superstar Frameset is the only acceptable replica bike in a generation.

Sagan is King by that metric alone.

I'd also, without shame, ride one of those orange Merckx and an Eric Zabel blue Colnago master (two names for the price of one!).

KarlC
03-13-2018, 03:15 PM
I watched Peter Sagan race this week and did not die, as a mater of fact I liked it. :eek:

climbgdh
03-13-2018, 07:04 PM

Nail. Hit. On. Head!!!

pbarry
03-13-2018, 07:44 PM
How long was your relationship?
When did you break up?
We're here for you, man.

:beer: :bike: :fight: :banana:

GvA's breakthrough has been revelatory and this is really the essence of fandom. Especially with sports man.

Logic has little to do with it. GvA won an Olympics road race that Sagan bagged out of for being too hilly. He'd rather spend his time on a marketing stunt. Meanwhile Greg is wearing gold and cleaning house at the Flandrian classics.

And as far as headspace, I spend far more time thinking about GvA, Gilbert and others kick butt rather Captain Wheelie and his slackjawed fans who are amazed at yet another wheelie and some second places. But hey, fingers crossed he doesn't ride into the barriers at Ronde again this year.

FlashUNC
03-13-2018, 08:31 PM
Nail. Hit. On. Head!!!

Hah. Ye Gods the PMs I get from folks asking when I'm going to chime in on the latest Sagan thread and start up the ol' hate freight.

I'm just joining in the fun of talking pro bike racing and pro bike racers. Not my fault folks just want to focus on the guy who loses races like someone playing Mario Kart blindfolded, rather than dudes like Kwiatkowski. Course, even the blindfolded will win once in a while when they hit that blue shell magic.

pbarry
03-13-2018, 08:36 PM
We love you, dude.

Hah. Ye Gods the PMs I get from folks asking when I'm going to chime in on the latest Sagan thread and start up the ol' hate freight.

I'm just joining in the fun of talking pro bike racing and pro bike racers. Not my fault folks just want to focus on the guy who loses races like someone playing Mario Kart blindfolded, rather than dudes like Kwiatkowski. Course, even the blindfolded will win once in a while when they hit that blue shell magic.

crankles
03-13-2018, 08:44 PM
How long was your relationship?
When did you break up?
We're here for you, man.

:beer: :bike: :fight: :banana:

perfect pbarry...simply perfect

denapista
03-13-2018, 10:35 PM
FlashUnc running to a computer when someone posts about Peter Sagan, anywhere in the Universe.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2Sqc3POpzkj5r8SQ/giphy.gif

climbgdh
03-13-2018, 11:06 PM
FlashUnc running to a computer when someone posts about Peter Sagan, anywhere in the Universe.

LOL!!! Very true........

FlashUNC
03-13-2018, 11:16 PM

Every Sagan fan the second you question the unquestioned greatness of Mr Wheelie. GIFs are fun!

https://media.giphy.com/media/9IjL1BJwmwF0Y/giphy.gif

denapista
03-14-2018, 12:52 AM
It's just that your Sagan criticisms are unwarranted to the context of the threads.

If the thread title was "Do you think Sagan is as good as the industry is making him?", then your facts about his lack of winning would make sense. The pro peloton is full of guys who never win, but are admired by their fans.

The Sagan Stoke extinguisher.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xKm90XcDeXnlMk/giphy.gif

chiasticon
03-14-2018, 06:07 AM
eh, for me the ass-grab was still the end of it. that's who he is and it says all you need to know.

KonaSS
03-14-2018, 07:25 AM
eh, for me the ass-grab was still the end of it. that's who he is and it says all you need to know.

He was young, foolish, and it was an ignorant thing to do. God knows I have done some things I regret. I hope (and think) he has learned from it. That said, why don't you tell us the worst thing you ever did, and seeing as I know you about as well as I know Sagan, I will judge your entire character on that.

charliedid
03-14-2018, 09:02 AM
Idolisation is so weird.

denapista
03-14-2018, 09:13 AM
I don't think anyone is idolizing Peter Sagan. This is a cycling forum, where cyclists discuss cycling topics....

He's not turning water into wine or anything.

FlashUNC
03-14-2018, 09:25 AM
It's just that your Sagan criticisms are unwarranted to the context of the threads.

If the thread title was "Do you think Sagan is as good as the industry is making him?", then your facts about his lack of winning would make sense. The pro peloton is full of guys who never win, but are admired by their fans.

The Sagan Stoke extinguisher.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xKm90XcDeXnlMk/giphy.gif

I think its very much in the context of this thread. And most threads about Sagan. The comment OldP references are part of a larger quote he makes about how he thinks Kwiatkowski did him dirty by not helping him to the line at MSR. Which, if you have a few more shovel fulls of that stuff would help plant a nice garden in the back. Would make wonderful fertilizer.

He tries to play it off like the cool kid at the lunch table who doesn't even care about winning when his preceding ripping of Kwiatkowski is very much all about winning. Its a lame attempt at trying to distract from the fact that, again, he made a complete hash of the sprint. He's like the anti-Hennie Kuiper with the order in which he eats from his plate vs his opponents.

Kwiatkowski then drops the hammer on him in this war of words that sometimes being smarter is better than being stronger. Never mind that Kwiatkowski was able to follow Sagan's move last year, so yeah, strength also had something to do with it.

I bring up the palmares because everyone else does, constantly. "Oh he wins soooo much." No he doesn't. And what he does win, for a one day rider, really ain't all that and a bag of chips. And then of course the goalposts are moved to "Well, no one wins all the time, but he's entertaining." So...which is it?

I'm just glad Innsbruck is finally going to end this nonsense Worlds streak. Finally a Worlds with some hills.

charliedid
03-14-2018, 10:25 AM
I don't think anyone is idolizing Peter Sagan. This is a cycling forum, where cyclists discuss cycling topics....

He's not turning water into wine or anything.

Now you're just being silly, everyone knows water turns into coffee not wine.

Vientomas
03-14-2018, 10:43 AM
I think its very much in the context of this thread. And most threads about Sagan. The comment OldP references are part of a larger quote he makes about how he thinks Kwiatkowski did him dirty by not helping him to the line at MSR. Which, if you have a few more shovel fulls of that stuff would help plant a nice garden in the back. Would make wonderful fertilizer.

He tries to play it off like the cool kid at the lunch table who doesn't even care about winning when his preceding ripping of Kwiatkowski is very much all about winning. Its a lame attempt at trying to distract from the fact that, again, he made a complete hash of the sprint. He's like the anti-Hennie Kuiper with the order in which he eats from his plate vs his opponents.

Kwiatkowski then drops the hammer on him in this war of words that sometimes being smarter is better than being stronger. Never mind that Kwiatkowski was able to follow Sagan's move last year, so yeah, strength also had something to do with it.

I bring up the palmares because everyone else does, constantly. "Oh he wins soooo much." No he doesn't. And what he does win, for a one day rider, really ain't all that and a bag of chips. And then of course the goalposts are moved to "Well, no one wins all the time, but he's entertaining." So...which is it?

I'm just glad Innsbruck is finally going to end this nonsense Worlds streak. Finally a Worlds with some hills.

Road
3rd Road race, National Junior Road Championships
1st MaillotSlovakia.svg Road race, National Junior Road Championships
2nd Paris–Roubaix Juniors
1st Grand Prix Kooperativa
4th Overall Dookoła Mazowsza
1st Jersey green.svg Points classification
1st Jersey white.svg Young rider classification
1st Stages 2 & 5
Paris–Nice
1st Stages 3 & 5
1st Stage 1 Tour de Romandie
2nd Philadelphia International Championship
2nd Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal
7th GP Ouest–France
8th Overall Tour of California
1st Stages 5 & 6
1st MaillotSlovakia.svg Road race, National Road Championships
1st Jersey red.svg Overall Giro di Sardegna
1st Stages 1, 3 & 4
1st Jersey yellow.svg Overall Tour de Pologne
1st Stages 4 & 5
Tour de Suisse
1st Jersey blue.svg Points classification
1st Stages 3 & 8
Tour of California
1st Stage 5
Vuelta a España
1st Stages 6, 12 & 21
Held Jersey green.svg after Stage 7
1st Gran Premio Industria e Commercio di Prato
Tour de France
1st Stages 1, 3 & 6
Jersey red number.svg Combativity award Stage 14
Tour of California
1st Stages 1, 2, 3, 4 & 8
Tour de Suisse
1st Jersey white.svg Points classification
1st Stages 1 (ITT), 3, 4 & 6
Tour of Oman
1st Stage 2
1st Stage 4 Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Stage 1 Three Days of De Panne
2nd Gent–Wevelgem
3rd Amstel Gold Race
4th Milan–San Remo
5th Tour of Flanders
8th UCI World Tour
1st Gent–Wevelgem
1st Brabantse Pijl
1st Gran Premio Città di Camaiore
1st Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal
Tour de France
1st Stage 7
Tour de Suisse
1st Jersey polkadot.svg Points classification
1st Stages 3 & 8
USA Pro Cycling Challenge
1st Stages 1, 3, 6 & 7
Tour of Alberta
1st Prologue, Stages 1 & 5
Tour of California
1st Stages 3 & 8
Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Stages 3 & 6
Tour of Oman
1st Stages 2 & 3
2nd Strade Bianche
2nd Milan–San Remo
2nd E3 Harelbeke
2nd Tour of Flanders
4th UCI World Tour
6th Road race, UCI Road World Championships
10th Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec
1st E3 Harelbeke
Tour de France
Held Jersey white.svg after Stages 1–7
Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Jersey red.svg Points classification
1st Stage 3
Tour de Suisse
1st Stage 3
Tour of California
1st Stage 7
1st Stage 4 Tour of Oman
2nd Strade Bianche
3rd Gent–Wevelgem
6th Paris–Roubaix
7th Coppa Bernocchi
10th Milan–San Remo
1st Jersey rainbow.svg Road race, UCI Road World Championships
National Road Championships
1st MaillotSlovakia.svg Road race
1st MaillotSlovakia.svg Time trial
1st Jersey yellow.svg Overall Tour of California
1st Stages 4 & 6 (ITT)
Tour de France
Held Jersey white.svg after Stages 3–9
Jersey red number.svg Combativity award Stages 15 & 16
Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Stage 6
Tour de Suisse
1st Jersey black.svg Points classification
1st Stages 3 & 6
Vuelta a España
1st Stage 3
Held Jersey green.svg after Stages 4–6
4th Milan–San Remo
4th Tour of Flanders
6th Overall Tour of Qatar
10th Gent–Wevelgem
1st UCI World Tour
1st EuropeanChampionJersey(2016).png Road race, UEC European Road Championships
1st Tour of Flanders
1st Gent–Wevelgem
1st Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec
Tour de France
1st Stages 2, 11 & 16
Held Jersey yellow.svg after Stages 2–4
Jersey red number.svg Combativity award Stage 10 & Overall
Tour of California
1st Stages 1 & 4
Tour de Suisse
1st Stages 2 & 3
2nd Road race, National Road Championships
2nd E3 Harelbeke
2nd Overall Tirreno–Adriatico
2nd Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
3rd Overall Eneco Tour
1st Stages 3 & 4
4th Strade Bianche
7th Kuurne–Brussels–Kuurne
1st Kuurne–Brussels–Kuurne
Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Stages 3 & 5
Tour de Suisse
1st Stages 5 & 8
Tour of California
1st Stage 3
Tour de Pologne
1st Stage 1
1st Stage 3 Tour de France
2nd Milan–San Remo
3rd Gent–Wevelgem
4th UCI World Tour
7th Overall BinckBank Tour
1st Stages 1 & 3
9th Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal
Tour Down Under
1st Stage 4
8th Strade Bianche

Cyclo-cross
1st MaillotSlovakia.svg National Junior Championships
3rd Bronze medal blank.svg European Junior Championships
2nd Silver medal blank.svg World Junior Championships

Mountain-biking
1st Jersey rainbow.svg World Junior Championships
1st UEC Champion Jersey.svg European Junior Championships
4th Czech Strabag Cup, Teplice

saab2000
03-14-2018, 10:57 AM
^^^^

How dare you mention all those wins. Sagan is mostly good at losing I was led to believe. :cool:

chiasticon
03-14-2018, 11:02 AM
He was young, foolish, and it was an ignorant thing to do. God knows I have done some things I regret. I hope (and think) he has learned from it. That said, why don't you tell us the worst thing you ever did, and seeing as I know you about as well as I know Sagan, I will judge your entire character on that.you're certainly allowed to be an a**hole and still be a very talented and successful sportsman. but it doesn't mean I have to like you.

s4life
03-14-2018, 12:24 PM
This has become a reddit thread.. close?

charliedid
03-14-2018, 12:29 PM
^^^^

How dare you mention all those wins. Sagan is mostly good at losing I was led to believe. :cool:

I know!

Now I am super confused.

KarlC
03-14-2018, 12:36 PM
Road
3rd Road race, National Junior Road Championships
1st MaillotSlovakia.svg Road race, National Junior Road Championships
2nd Paris–Roubaix Juniors
1st Grand Prix Kooperativa
4th Overall Dookoła Mazowsza
1st Stages 2 & 5
Paris–Nice
1st Stages 3 & 5
1st Stage 1 Tour de Romandie
7th GP Ouest–France
8th Overall Tour of California
1st Stages 5 & 6
1st Jersey red.svg Overall Giro di Sardegna
1st Stages 1, 3 & 4
1st Jersey yellow.svg Overall Tour de Pologne
1st Stages 4 & 5
Tour de Suisse
1st Stages 3 & 8
Tour of California
1st Stage 5
Vuelta a España
1st Stages 6, 12 & 21
Held Jersey green.svg after Stage 7
1st Gran Premio Industria e Commercio di Prato
Tour de France
1st Stages 1, 3 & 6
Jersey red number.svg Combativity award Stage 14
Tour of California
1st Stages 1, 2, 3, 4 & 8
Tour de Suisse
1st Stages 1 (ITT), 3, 4 & 6
Tour of Oman
1st Stage 2
1st Stage 4 Tirreno–Adriatico
2nd Gent–Wevelgem
3rd Amstel Gold Race
4th Milan–San Remo
5th Tour of Flanders
8th UCI World Tour
1st Gent–Wevelgem
1st Brabantse Pijl
1st Gran Premio Città di Camaiore
1st Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal
Tour de France
1st Stage 7
Tour de Suisse
1st Stages 3 & 8
USA Pro Cycling Challenge
1st Stages 1, 3, 6 & 7
Tour of Alberta
1st Prologue, Stages 1 & 5
Tour of California
1st Stages 3 & 8
Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Stages 3 & 6
Tour of Oman
1st Stages 2 & 3
2nd Strade Bianche
2nd Milan–San Remo
2nd E3 Harelbeke
2nd Tour of Flanders
4th UCI World Tour
6th Road race, UCI Road World Championships
10th Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec
1st E3 Harelbeke
Tour de France
Held Jersey white.svg after Stages 1–7
Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Stage 3
Tour de Suisse
1st Stage 3
Tour of California
1st Stage 7
1st Stage 4 Tour of Oman
2nd Strade Bianche
3rd Gent–Wevelgem
6th Paris–Roubaix
7th Coppa Bernocchi
10th Milan–San Remo
National Road Championships
1st MaillotSlovakia.svg Road race
1st MaillotSlovakia.svg Time trial
1st Jersey yellow.svg Overall Tour of California
1st Stages 4 & 6 (ITT)
Tour de France
Held Jersey white.svg after Stages 3–9
Jersey red number.svg Combativity award Stages 15 & 16
Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Stage 6
Tour de Suisse
1st Stages 3 & 6
Vuelta a España
1st Stage 3
Held Jersey green.svg after Stages 4–6
4th Milan–San Remo
4th Tour of Flanders
6th Overall Tour of Qatar
10th Gent–Wevelgem
1st UCI World Tour
1st EuropeanChampionJersey(2016).png Road race, UEC European Road Championships
1st Tour of Flanders
1st Gent–Wevelgem
Tour de France
1st Stages 2, 11 & 16
Held Jersey yellow.svg after Stages 2–4
Jersey red number.svg Combativity award Stage 10 & Overall
Tour of California
1st Stages 1 & 4
Tour de Suisse
1st Stages 2 & 3
2nd E3 Harelbeke
2nd Overall Tirreno–Adriatico
3rd Overall Eneco Tour
1st Stages 3 & 4
4th Strade Bianche
7th Kuurne–Brussels–Kuurne
1st Kuurne–Brussels–Kuurne
Tirreno–Adriatico
1st Stages 3 & 5
Tour de Suisse
1st Stages 5 & 8
Tour of California
1st Stage 3
Tour de Pologne
1st Stage 1
1st Stage 3 Tour de France
2nd Milan–San Remo
3rd Gent–Wevelgem
4th UCI World Tour
7th Overall BinckBank Tour
1st Stages 1 & 3
9th Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal
Tour Down Under
1st Stage 4
8th Strade Bianche

Cyclo-cross
1st MaillotSlovakia.svg National Junior Championships
2nd Silver medal blank.svg World Junior Championships

Mountain-biking
1st Jersey rainbow.svg World Junior Championships
1st UEC Champion Jersey.svg European Junior Championships
4th Czech Strabag Cup, Teplice

Nice to see ALL of these in 1 place thx

Looks like a good record so far and Sagan is very entertaining to watch !

Tony
03-14-2018, 12:49 PM
you're certainly allowed to be an a**hole and still be a very talented and successful sportsman. but it doesn't mean I have to like you.

The ass-grab was an a**hole move, a stupid moment in this mans life. Because of that moment you say "that's who he is" a**hole??

FlashUNC
03-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Yes, let;s not forget all those Tour of California stages that the pro peloton treats like a giant vacation. Or the Tour of Oman. Such history! Do I need to mention the 2016 Tour where Cav won four stages as a training block for Rio and Sagan, um, didn't?

One. Monument.

Boonen won more Monuments in one year when he was 25 than Sagan has won in his entire career so far.

For the big one day races, he's all hype.