PDA

View Full Version : HSG... Murmurs & Rumbles of 2007.

Jason E
10-09-2006, 10:27 AM
So it turns out that the seismologists were off in their calculations. The location of the disturbance was NOT, in fact, North Korea. It was the birth of the HSG line up in NY.

Here is what has 'leaked' on good authority.

The Ti HSG Road Frame is gonna be available in White, Blue, or Yellow, but for an upcharge you can change the base color to another standard Serotta Color.. Pretty cool.

There will be 2 MORE CARBON FRAMESETS. An "Attack", which will be to the Meivici what the Nove is to the Ottrott, as well as a stock geometry HSG CARBON.

The Titanium Aero TT/Tri frame we saw will come in stock geometry (HSG TT) or in custom geometry and still have the CXII moniker. It'll be built from seamless high performance Serotta Aero Titanium tubing that’s processed right on site in the facility. Possibly from spent uranium rods.*

There should be more info coming in the next week or two on the website officially.

*Just kidding, that was a N. Korea Reference, though they will all be pretty Hot.

Serpico
10-09-2006, 10:31 AM
wow, the HSG carbon sounds cool (I'm guessing the 'Attack' frame will be outside the price range I'm willing to consider)

SEROTTA--please make the HSG carbon a horizontal top tube!!! PLEASE

saab2000
10-09-2006, 10:40 AM
SEROTTA--please make the HSG carbon a horizontal top tube!!! PLEASE

Emphasis mine.

Make them all available with level top tube!!!

Yes, the carbon HSG does sound interesting. So does the steel one.

gt6267a
10-09-2006, 10:40 AM
i say please paint the fork. i mean really, bikes at these prices without a matching fork is like putting a purple door and green hood on an otherwise red ferrari, you just don't do that. true it's almost cool when you see a 1965 beater with white quarter panels, a red roof, a black hood ... but its a beater and not top of the line equipment.

fiamme red
10-09-2006, 11:00 AM
i say please paint the fork. i mean really, bikes at these prices without a matching fork is like putting a purple door and green hood on an otherwise red ferrari, you just don't do that. true it's almost cool when you see a 1965 beater with white quarter panels, a red roof, a black hood ... but its a beater and not top of the line equipment.Hear, hear!

Imagine how an unpainted black fork would detract from the harmony of this bike's (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=76896&postcount=1) scheme.

saab2000
10-09-2006, 11:14 AM
I too like the painted fork on my CIII. But I think Serotta is trying to put a top notch racing bike in peoples' hands at the lowest possible price and I think fork painting has to remain an upcharge option.

I think the HSG is about performance on a budget and that is a good thing.

Jason E
10-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Though the frame is stock geo, you have your choice of forks, and with that, can opt to upgrade the coloe of your fork, but like Saab said, it's about pricepoint/quality intersecting for a bang-for-buck equation.

Smiley
10-09-2006, 12:35 PM

Jason E
10-09-2006, 12:53 PM
:beer:

Smiley
10-09-2006, 01:40 PM
:)

Fixed
10-09-2006, 03:11 PM
bro imho if serotta makes it .it will be cool ..sloping t.t. or not but that's just me bro .

zank
10-09-2006, 03:12 PM
One of the River City Bicycles racers who stayed with us over the Goucester weekend (Brigette Stoick) had a sweet HSG cross bike that said "prototype" of the top tube. Very cool indeed.

ergott
10-10-2006, 08:58 AM
I'd like to see more about the carbon version. Is the HSG geometry out yet?

Marcusaurelius
10-10-2006, 09:30 AM
I would add a second vote for a level top tube. I think compact frames look just a little silly.

gt6267a
10-10-2006, 10:15 AM
i respect that they are trying to hit a price point, but unless the price point is sub 1000, than a few bucks to paint a fork seems trivial. plus, if the forks really are only coming in three colors, to do a batch seems reasonable. serotta is not a bargain brand, and i am doubting the hsg line will change that. in my mind, fi a company sells a fork, it should match the frame.

djg
10-10-2006, 11:20 AM
i respect that they are trying to hit a price point, but unless the price point is sub 1000, than a few bucks to paint a fork seems trivial. plus, if the forks really are only coming in three colors, to do a batch seems reasonable. serotta is not a bargain brand, and i am doubting the hsg line will change that. in my mind, fi a company sells a fork, it should match the frame.

I like seeing a fork painted to match the frame, although with some paintjobs the black cf looks fine to me or even fits right in (just as, with some, it doesn't). Opinions vary, of course. In any case, it may not be just a few bucks to do this. When I had a frame repainted a few years back, the painters I spoke to said that the cf forks (I ended up using a new one) had to be hand sanded to prep them for paint. It didn't cost all that much, and I did pay the freight in that particular case, but if Serotta is trying to hit a price point, it does seem that this may be a labor cost they'd need to think about. I do like the idea of having the option of springing for paint.

Jason E
10-10-2006, 11:30 AM

I think it is better to have it as an option. If you do not want it to match, as many do not, then don't pay for it, but with 6 fork choices for the road (2 Alpha Q's, 3 Serotta F3's and an Ouza Pro), as well as 3 base colors and the availability of other colors as an up charge, not painting the forks unless the customer wants clearly makes much more sense.

vaxn8r
10-10-2006, 03:13 PM
See, I disagree. Lots of respected builders offer a plain clear coat CF fork and I think they look fine. If I'm on a budget why would I want to pay for something I don't want or need anyway?

If you really want that custom look an HSG is not your bike anyway. ATMO.