PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower Revolution III is this weekend; who's coming?!

RABikes2
10-09-2006, 09:53 AM
I thought it was time to bring this thread over from the 'Rides, Events, and Gatherings' to get some last minute updates. The Sunflower Revolution III is this weekend, October 13-15, in Cincinnati, OH. So far, Bruce K and myself (RA) will be attending. Who else is planning on attending and do you have plans (and what) for riding and getting together Saturday?

The weekend events benefit the Davis Phinney Foundation which supports research vs Parkinson's Disease. Last year Ben Serotta joined Davis Phinney, Connie Carpenter, Wayne Stetina, Phil Liggett, and our own Kathy Krumme (Oakley Cycles) for a great weekend of fun events and riding.

I'm scrambling knocking on doors and calling on associates this next 4 days as I'm only $250 short of my 2006 fundraising goal for the DPF. I hope I can do it! ;)

Looking forward to seeing old Forum friends :banana: and hopefully meeting some new ones! :banana:

RA

Cinci Jim
10-09-2006, 10:01 AM
It looks like the highs will be around 60 for the weekend and the lows in the 30s (colder Saturday morning)

Bring your warm cycle gear!

RABikes2
10-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Ohhh :crap: , it was 48 degrees here in north Florida this morning (but it's going up into the 80's this afternoon), but yesterday and Saturday, I cycled in sleeveless jerseys! Guess that isn't happening this weekend, eh?!! :no:
RA

Ginger
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
RitaAnn,
Looks like I'm still off the bike for another three weeks. So I won't be riding this weekend.

I was contemplating blasting down and visiting on Saturday. Keep us posted on the "planned schedule!"

Bruce K
10-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Jim;

60 isn't THAT cold, but the occassional showers on Sunday doesn't thrill me. :crap:

I'm bringing knickers, full finger gloves, and a few other essential bits of New England autumn bicycle wear.

Can you maybe PM me with a couple of ideas for self-guided rides for Saturday.

I think RA may turn into a popcicle if we venture out in really cold weather.

BK

Cinci Jim
10-09-2006, 08:42 PM
My trip to Japan got postponed, so I'm up for a ride if anyone else is. The Breakfast ride still has a start time of 8:00 AM. Local weather is forecasting a Saturday morning low of 32. I'm game for whatever, but I'd be OK with a little later start Saturday morning :banana: But if that is the group thinking I'm in.

Here is a link to it - http://www.cincinnaticycleclub.org/rides/2006-10%20Ride%20Schedule.htm

Start point - http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?size=big&address=1364+State+Route+28&city=Loveland&state=Oh&zipcode=45140

Or we could meet up at Oakley Cycles a little later in the morning and head out for a spin through Eastern Cincinnati/Indian Hill area. I and I'm sure others here know the area well.

Who all is interested in a ride on Saturday morning?

Bruce K
10-09-2006, 08:51 PM
I think RA and I would be up for a 10:00AM start at Oakley. :banana:

It might be in the 40's by then. :rolleyes:

Personally, I would like to do something around 40 miles / 2.5 hours if that works for folks. I am certainly open to other ideas but I don't want to overdo it with the Sunflower Rev III on Sunday.

BK

RABikes2
10-10-2006, 12:49 AM
I think RA may turn into a popcicle if we venture out in really cold weather. BK
I won't turn into a "popsicle", but I'll sure be dressed to avoid looking like one! ;) I'm not use to freezing this "early" in the year! I cycle year round here and there are many days through late December, January, and February where my ride start temperatures are in the high 20's/low 30's. In fact, this past February on my 300k, which was held 90 miles west of here in Bonifay, FL, myself and another rider had frostbite symptoms when we finished at 2:30 a.m.; the last half of the ride was just downright flipping brutally cold. Too cold to go fast and too cold to stop, you just had to keep a steady pace moving forward. So "popsicle lady" here has gear buckos just be ready to ride! ;) Yeehaw!! :banana: I like the Saturday 10:00 a.m. start idea; looking forward to seeing your beautiful area Jim.
MA, sorry to hear you're off the bike. I think our scheduled plans are pretty much low-key right now with nothing definite except for the rides Saturday and Sunday a.m.'s. Is this right Bruce?
RA

Bruce K
10-10-2006, 06:01 AM
RA;

The only things that are firm on the schedule are the Gala Friday night, The event ride Sunday with an 8:00AM start, and whatever we set up with Jim for Saturday.

I am open to suggestions from Jim and Stephanie for places for dinners Saturday and Sunday, and activities for Saturday afternoon/evening as Sunday night we'll be packing bikes, etc.

BK

Bruce K
10-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Jim;

I just remembered that registration for the ride is in Loveland on Saturday.

Would it be easier to ride in that area and then register? Or will RA and I have enough time after riding out of Oakley to go back to the hotel, clean up, and get out to Loveland before 4:00PM?

BK

Cinci Jim
10-10-2006, 02:09 PM
If you want we can swing by on Saturday for the registration. Loveland is only 4 or 5 miles north of where I was suggesting to ride. It is a quick trip up the Little Miami trail. Actually the trail is really pretty right now -

Tom Byrnes
10-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Bruce, Rita Ann, Jim & Mary Ann,

Sounds like it will be a great weekend. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend this year. I was in court this morning and my case will be going to trial early next week. I will have to spend the weekend preparing my case.

I will try to block off a period of time for next year's event.

Have a great time.

Best,

Tom

Bruce K
10-10-2006, 05:46 PM
OK, looks like 10:00AM at Oakley it is.

Jim, are you going to the gala? If so, we'll hook up there.

Otherwise, PM me a phone number and I'll call you.

BK

RABikes2
10-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Sorry you can't make it Tom. I was looking forward to meeting you. Try to get out at least once this weekend for a quick ride! De-stressor :beer:
RA

Serotta PETE
10-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Sorry you can't make it Tom. I was looking forward to meeting you. Try to get out at least once this weekend for a quick ride! De-stressor :beer:
RA

Tom, ride and drink at least once.....wish all of us were riding and drinking this weekend together in OHIO>>>>

RABikes2
10-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Tom, ride and drink at least once.....wish all of us were riding and drinking this weekend together in OHIO>>>>
Hey Pete, you can still kidnap Spokes and head over so we can ride, drink, and eat together! ;)
RA