PDA

View Full Version : Can tires be repaired?

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Dilemma. I have some off the hook cool Michelin Green/Skinwall CycloSprint semi-slick tires, mounted, never ridden. Never ridden as in they've been on wheels that have been sitting out in the bike cave through two New England winters. Upon removal/inspection, the tread is splitting in two or three spots, in the middle of the tread. Can they be salvaged? I no longer have a CX so these will either be some kind of wall art, trash or some artsy way to store something.

Cicli
03-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Nothing really holds well. Too much flexing to get something that adheres and stays.

NYCfixie
03-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Super Glue?

pasadena
03-10-2018, 02:03 PM
superglue will just crack
tires are basically dry rotting, wall art or toss them

Kontact
03-10-2018, 02:05 PM
Nothing really holds well. Too much flexing to get something that adheres and stays.

Now there's shame. Think about all the wonderful threads we could have about home retread tires vs. factory, just like a good DIY lube thread.

cadence90
03-10-2018, 07:26 PM
Dilemma. I have some off the hook cool Michelin Green/Skinwall CycloSprint semi-slick tires, mounted, never ridden. Never ridden as in they've been on wheels that have been sitting out in the bike cave through two New England winters. Upon removal/inspection, the tread is splitting in two or three spots, in the middle of the tread. Can they be salvaged? I no longer have a CX so these will either be some kind of wall art, trash or some artsy way to store something.

I have not seen your walls but I am certain that they deserve much better art.

:)

alancw3
03-11-2018, 07:39 AM
w/o pics couldn't say but i have had wonderful success using shoe goo over the years whenever i have gotten a cut in a tire. ironically the shoe goo seems to wear about the same as the rubber in the tire. these would be continental gp4000 tires. in the right application it works! give it a try you have nothing to loose. the last time i checked walmart still carried it. like < $5 a tube.

Robbos
03-12-2018, 08:08 AM
I've repaired numerous road tires over the years. Thick thread, stitch them back with cross pattern stitching. Then coat with Seam Grip. Never ever had a problem. Allowed me to ride some nice tires that had been sent to the bin.

FlashUNC
03-12-2018, 08:17 AM
The tires are dry rotting. They're done.

MikeD
03-12-2018, 08:58 AM
If it's just the rubber that's cracked and underlying the tire cord isn't, I would just ride them. I had Michelin HiLites a years ago that would come with tread cracks out of the box. They didn't look real great, but rode fine n

rab
03-12-2018, 02:42 PM
Second Shoe Goo, I use it to fill cuts etc, wears pretty well.
Barge Cement also can be a good one. Same stuff used to resolve climbing shoes. Both flex well.
Definitely not super glues. Getting a good clean surface is key.