PDA

View Full Version : OT Classifieds section?

oldpotatoe
03-10-2018, 09:21 AM
I know this won't fly but I have had non bike stuff that I wanted to either sell or give away from time to time, and ebay or craig's list is a PITA. To bad there isn't a way to post a FS for a non bike item here among the Paceline tifosi.

Just a thought. I have had a Patagonia parka on ebay for a while that just isn't selling..I'd rather sell to a Paceline 'friend'...anyway.

Just a thought.

AngryScientist
03-10-2018, 09:26 AM
this question comes up reasonably often. i'm dead against it for the reason i stated in this thread, copied below:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=217245

have you ever noticed the 0 post members who join here, just to run up their post count in a day or two to get access to the classifieds?

those are just folks who know how great our classifieds section is and join only to unload their bike stuff so they dont have to use ebay, craigslist, etc.

no imagine if we had a thriving OT classifieds section here...

this place, and that section would turn into a cesspool of disaster.

as usual, the regulars here would get some benefit from it and use it appropriately, but it would be hard to police membership, and we would wind up with a bunch of (non cycling interested) people trying to join here just to sell uncle bob's hubcap collection.

nah, let's keep the PACELINE classifieds for just bike stuff.

Chris
03-10-2018, 09:32 AM

eddief
03-10-2018, 09:35 AM
way of telling us you have a parka available. I think you found a way to get rid of it.

I know this won't fly but I have had non bike stuff that I wanted to either sell or give away from time to time, and ebay or craig's list is a PITA. To bad there isn't a way to post a FS for a non bike item here among the Paceline tifosi.

Just a thought. I have had a Patagonia parka on ebay for a while that just isn't selling..I'd rather sell to a Paceline 'friend'...anyway.

Just a thought.

Hilltopperny
03-10-2018, 09:52 AM
I'd like to find an alternative outlet for some of the things I have that are of value to others. There are lots of sites to buy and sell stuff, but I think this online community we have here is the best place I've found for quick trustworthy transactions. That being said I understand Nicks point of view and agree it'd probably be a mess if extended to everyone who isn't a cycling enthusiast.

Climb01742
03-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Old Spud is an active, contributing (dare I say wise) member, so I know this wasn't his aim, but I'd be bummed if the classifieds ate the forum. And they could if they grew beyond cycling stuff. Already there are members who do little more than sell stuff. If we opened the classifieds to more categories, it would get worse.

The core of who we are is the info we trade. Not the stuff. The classifieds are a good tail. Sharing of knowledge, experiences and life is the dog. I hope the dog always does the wagging.

AngryScientist
03-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Old Spud is an active, contributing (dare I say wise) member, so I know this wasn't his aim, but I'd be bummed if the classifieds ate the forum. And they could if they grew beyond cycling stuff. Already there are members who do little more than sell stuff. If we opened the classifieds to more categories, it would get worse.

The core of who we are is the info we trade. Not the stuff. The classifieds are a good tail. Sharing of knowledge, experiences and life is the dog. I hope the dog always does the wagging.

very well said climb, i agree 100%.

I would also say, and this is not to single Peter out in the least, for example - a winter jacket is a perfect example of why i would be against an OT classifieds section.

unless you truly need the extra cash, a winter coat is a good example of something that can be donated to a good charity. so many people can not afford a winter coat and need one. time is money, and it just seems to me like a better use of time to get the coat to a charity who will get it on the back of someone really in need rather than take up time and bandwidth trying to squeeze the last bit of residual value out of a used jacket.

i truly hope that doesnt come across as some elitist comment, just some food for thought.

joosttx
03-10-2018, 10:17 AM

Just a thought.

Try Nextdoor.com . It is very active in our hood.

OtayBW
03-10-2018, 11:47 AM

I would also say, and this is not to single Peter out in the least, for example - a winter jacket is a perfect example of why i would be against an OT classifieds section.

unless you truly need the extra cash, a winter coat is a good example of something that can be donated to a good charity. so many people can not afford a winter coat and need one. time is money, and it just seems to me like a better use of time to get the coat to a charity who will get it on the back of someone really in need rather than take up time and bandwidth trying to squeeze the last bit of residual value out of a used jacket.

i truly hope that doesnt come across as some elitist comment, just some food for thought.Not elitist, but - to me - irrelevant, or marginal to this discussion. What someone chooses to do with their own goods is their own bidness....

72gmc
03-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Heck, now I want to know what's in uncle bob's hubcap collection.

(and I know other forums for that)

oldpotatoe
03-10-2018, 12:35 PM

I get it....knew it wouldn’t fly but still, I’m sure a lot of members in good standing has non bike stuff they’d like to sell to other paceliners.

oldpotatoe
03-10-2018, 12:37 PM

i truly hope that doesnt come across as some elitist comment, just some food for thought.

It doesn’t at all. I understand....just that Craig’s list, I feel smarmy just typing it.

AND not trying to start any argument or even heated discussion, just musing over morning coffee.

R3awak3n
03-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Only way it could work is if you needed at least 500-1000 posts and that classified section would be locked out (aka you cant even see it) until then.

mtechnica
03-10-2018, 12:53 PM
Only way it could work is if you needed at least 500-1000 posts and that classified section would be locked out (aka you cant even see it) until then.

I would be fine with a 500 post limit, seems like things wouldn’t get out of control and it could be fun. Maybe tack on a 2 year minimum as well.

eBAUMANN
03-10-2018, 01:06 PM
If its possible to set up certain requirements for post count or years of membership...i would be all for this.

i have a ton of clothing, photo gear, watches, shoes/boots, tools, etc that I would LOVE to pass along to someone (and clearly im not alone in this) but really cant bring myself to deal with CL/eBay/rando's...you guys have totally spoiled me ha.

is there any way we could make a locked section of the forum or something? only way in is with a referral or permission from a mod?

i spose that would probably be a lot of work for the mods though...

veggieburger
03-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Even an "invisible" section of the forum? Pay $20 to Paceliine and have 1000 posts and you're in.

But I respect whatever the mods decide.

On a somewhat related note, you can PM me if you'd like to sell a large or XL winter coat, or any nice 10.5 boots or shoes...:)

cmbicycles
03-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Try Nextdoor.com . It is very active in our hood.
Offerup.com is another avenue, slightly more refined than craigslist with a ratings system, so the people aren't as flaky... sometimes. ;) I've used it twice, and it wasn't too bad, but I've generally had good luck with craigslist in the past as well.

GOTHBROOKS
03-10-2018, 01:54 PM
yeah, offerup has some GREAT DEALS to be had.
http://theradavist.com/2017/06/recovering-a-stolen-bicycle-takes-luck/

zap
03-10-2018, 02:07 PM
It doesn’t at all. I understand....just that Craig’s list, I feel smarmy just typing it.

I had success selling items on Craigslist (nationally) for decent money. Well, except for that mint SRAM Red rear derailleur.

But you do have a number of odd folks and criminals (I did basic background checks) to weed through.

03-10-2018, 02:35 PM
I've been having good luck with Nextdoor and Facebook classifieds. I think for basic merchandise, Craigslist is dying. Only for a few specific categories does it seem to work any longer, at least for merchandise.

I've watched this forum change quite a bit and I'm divided on Spud's suggestion. On the one hand, the forum is changing anyway and trying to freeze it isn't going to be helpful. And there are fringe items (such as outdoor sports equipment) that might reasonably be of interest to members. On the other hand, it's a policing nightmare and we don't need to be swamped in ads for baby furniture and auto parts. This is still a more open classifieds subforum than most forums I'm involved in will offer. Many forums have dropped classifieds because they're such a pain.

Practically speaking, I think the real answer is that even for something like a parka, there isn't enough audience here for ads to be efficient for the seller. A secondhand Patagonia garment needs a bigger audience and potentially a local one -- we all know how Castelli Nanoflex leg warmers fit, but fewer will know if this parka will do the job.

Matthew
03-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Hey Peter, it's a Patagonia cycling parka silly! You know, for wet weather riding.

fkelly
03-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Just join (or set up) a Facebook group. There is one named "Online Swap Meet for Cycling and Triathlon" just for instance. Post its availability here. Those who are interested could join, those who aren't could ignore it.

Those who hate Facebook could stifle their rant(s). This is just meant as a helpful suggestion.

I agree that turning the Paceline Forums into a general sales tool would be negative. The moderators have enough to do without having to filter out the spammers who would inevitably join just to sell junk.

mhespenheide
03-10-2018, 04:35 PM

Yeah, this was my thought. I'm not for or against it, but I can only imagine it working if it's invisible below, say, a year or 500 posts -- whichever comes second.

rnhood
03-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Just join (or set up) a Facebook group. There is one named "Online Swap Meet for Cycling and Triathlon" just for instance. Post its availability here. Those who are interested could join, those who aren't could ignore it.

Those who hate Facebook could stifle their rant(s). This is just meant as a helpful suggestion.

I agree that turning the Paceline Forums into a general sales tool would be negative. The moderators have enough to do without having to filter out the spammers who would inevitably join just to sell junk.

Yes, Facebook is a great solution. The risk of a bad deal is almost nil since they make people use their real name and credentials. Its a solid classified forum that is well moderated. You know who you are going to deal with. Probably not the place for those that don't want to show their face and spend their life hiding (or anonymous) . I suspect ebay is best for them.

93KgBike
03-10-2018, 04:40 PM
this question comes up reasonably often. I'm dead against it for the reason i stated in this thread, copied below:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=217245

I don't disagree with you at all angryscientist.

However, I found this forum because I'd finally decided to sell an old Serotta that didn't really fit me. I figured this might be a place to sell it for what IMO it's worth. Many of my early "I agree!, +1," type posts were to get to the threshold for posting in the classifieds (guilty).

I never did sell the bike.

But thanks to genuine posts/replies from great members like yourself - and many others - I've stuck around and really enjoyed myself.

Much to my wife's dismay I even bought a 2nd CSI from a member. :rolleyes:

All that said, I'd rather not wade through non-bike-stuff to get to the bike stuff.

Cheers to you! Chapeau to Keith A!

Ralph
03-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Well...a nice parka like that is for an after bike ride...in that snowy Colorado climate...or to warm you before a bike ride. it's not necessarily the same as "uncle Bob's hubcaps".

dustyrider
03-10-2018, 05:56 PM
I’ve sold a few non-cycling related items to forum members in the past. I’m visiting the forum enough that I find myself clicking on almost every general discussion thread started, so when someone mentions a need for something a simple PM or reply to their thread might lead to a sale. I like our cycling centric classifieds. I just wish folks would put frame sizes in their titles, so I don’t get my hopes up...

joosttx
03-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Wow, you mean there is a chance to unload my great grandmother’s National Park teaspoon collection and the alpine stereo I stole errr found last week? Sounds awesome.

03-10-2018, 07:05 PM
"I have a bridge to sell. Measures 5,989 feet long, so you can do inestimable one mile intervals all day on it. It's yours, so you shut off all traffic to it when you're training, and collect tolls when you aren't. Magnificent views, so you can simply ride it for the beauty of the surrounding countryside. Includes walkways so you can also support Red Hooks and other events for optional additional income, or open it to pedestrians on Easter Sunday for a flower walk. Close to a heliport. Walk to the nearest Shake Shack or Grimaldi's Pizza. Low downpayment required and it can be yours. For details, please inquire at forums.thepaceline.net/moderators."

lemondvictoire
03-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Should be ok to sell now with it still being cold in most parts of the u s ..maybe not ok to sell in the summer....:rolleyes:

alancw3
03-11-2018, 04:28 AM
i understand the question raised in the thread but i do believe that it would somehow diminish the heritage/intent of the forum to allow non cycling items in the classifieds. also a royal pain in the ass to police. as mentioned nextdoor or craigslist seems to fill the need for non cycling items. just my two cents.

Bruce K
03-11-2018, 04:45 AM
As Angryscientist said, this comes up every few months or so.

While we want this to remain a cycling specific forum, we also feel that this is a bit more. An on-line community of folks with a passion for cycling. Just like a group ride, other topics come up as parts of the general conversation and time being together, hence the OT topics, where people use the wide range of knowledge in the community to get help with other stuff at times.

That being said, and for a variety of reason already mentioned here and other threads, we do not want to extend that to an OT Classified section in any way, shape, or form.

Also, as previously mentioned, we don’t plan to change that any time soon.

BK

Cicli
03-11-2018, 04:49 AM
As Angryscientist said, this comes up every few months or so.

While we want this to remain a cycling specific forum, we also feel that this is a bit more. An on-line community of folks with a passion for cycling. Just like a group ride, other topics come up as parts of the general conversation and time being together, hence the OT topics, where people use the wide range of knowledge in the community to get help with other stuff at times.

That being said, and for a variety of reason already mentioned here and other threads, we do not want to extend that to an OT Classified section in any way, shape, or form.

Also, as previously mentioned, we don’t plan to change that any time soon.

BK

Thank you.

The Mods are awesome.

huck*this
03-11-2018, 05:58 AM
My wife uses local facebook so called "Tag Sale" groups and sells kids clothes, maternity clothes, toys, etc. that we have out grown for pennies on the dollar. And yes everything usually sells within the hour. Due to the low cost to quality. We also just do porch pickups. I know it leaves the door open for people to just take the items but the way we look at it, if they take the items with out paying they must have really needed them.

I'm all for a closed/locked section that allows people with a certain established post count post and also a $20 donation lets you in the door. Great chance to raise some revenue for this awesome site!

Frankwurst
03-11-2018, 06:33 AM
"I have a bridge to sell. Close to a heliport. Walk to the nearest Shake Shack or Grimaldi's Pizza. Low downpayment required and it can be yours. For details, please inquire at forums.thepaceline.net/moderators."

Does Grimaldi's Pizza have a good beer selection? If so, I'm interested.:beer:

smontanaro
03-11-2018, 07:40 AM
If its possible to set up certain requirements for post count or years of membership...i would be all for this.

While I wouldn't personally be interested in off-topic classifieds (at least, I don't think so, as I already have a Patagonia parka), I think the problems @AngryScientist identified could be mitigated by requiring a pretty high post count to be able to create FS listings in such a forum. I'm not sure that requiring a high post count to even see the listings would offer much benefit.

Another option (one which they use on bikeforums) is to actually require FS posters to pony up a couple nickels for the permission to create FS ads. I think a so-called premium membership ($12/yr) does the trick. It also disables ads, which might be more problematic here, as the advertisers are very bike-focused here, not so much on BF.

kramnnim
03-11-2018, 07:56 AM
If there's enough interest in a FB group, I'll volunteer to set it up. Would need quite a few members to work, though.

Cicli
03-11-2018, 08:00 AM
If there's enough interest in a FB group, I'll volunteer to set it up. Would need quite a few members to work, though.

Do it.
There needs to be some entry rules though. Or it will go to hell.

Gsinill
03-11-2018, 09:08 AM

If you set up the Paceline OT Classified on FB, I'll create the Paceline Political Discussions FB Group ;)

Cicli
03-11-2018, 09:10 AM
If you set up the Paceline OT Classified on FB, I'll create the Paceline Political Discussions FB Group ;)

Oh geeeeeze. No.

makoti
03-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Even an "invisible" section of the forum? Pay $20 to Paceliine and have 1000 posts and you're in.

But I respect whatever the mods decide.

On a somewhat related note, you can PM me if you'd like to sell a large or XL winter coat, or any nice 10.5 boots or shoes...:)

I like this idea. Lots of wins. Bro deals on all sorts of stuff, a high post count to keep out the riffraff, and paceline gets a donation. I'd only modify it to say $20 a year (to keep the $ flowing & if we did that, maybe only $10 a year) & at least a one year membership here prior to joining. I'd be in.

makoti
03-11-2018, 09:21 AM

A closed group? Sure, I'll join. Would prefer it here, but I'd join. I need more alerts ringing on my phone at work. ;)

Bruce K
03-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Guys, just getting back to this....

Before you tack the Paceline name of a FB page, please PM the mods to discuss how this will he run.

We already have a FB page and don’t want confusion.

We also need to discus the whos and hows of this as it involves this forum, if only by association.

Thanks for understanding,

BK

mtechnica
03-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Does it have to be Facebook? I’m not on Facebook and refuse to use the service.

gasman
03-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Does it have to be Facebook? I’m not on Facebook and refuse to use the service.
We’re reluctant to do it anywhere for a whole variety of reasons. I deactivated my Facebook account years ago. Too much of a time suck and too many trolls. I like this community much better.

kramnnim
03-11-2018, 05:19 PM

Before you tack the Paceline name of a FB page, please PM the mods to discuss how this will he run.

We also need to discus the whos and hows of this as it involves this forum, if only by association.

BK

Y'all are busy and don't need more headaches.

If I were to do it, it would be a hidden group, would require invitation from a current member of the group, and admin approval. Paceline wouldn't be in the name and there would be no association implied.

...I don't think there would be enough members for it to be worthwhile. We are too used to looking at the forums here, and if we are on FB, we look at OSM for bike stuff.

Gsinill
03-11-2018, 06:37 PM

BK

I was just joking...

Bruce K
03-11-2018, 07:15 PM
/we knew that about the political one...:rolleyes:

WE are talking about how it could be made to work here but if it wasn't using the Paceline name, just a connection to known folks through this community, that would be different.

We are kicking some ideas around so give us a couple of days....

BK

Gummee
03-11-2018, 07:34 PM
I know ADVRider has 4 different FS sections: bikes, parts, gear, other

M

jumphigher
03-12-2018, 04:00 AM
I'm not a major contributor on this site biut I agree with not having a non-cycling related classified section. Just as predicted by others here, the forum would be flooded with cheesy, non-cycling people signing up to sell their junk. Would change the entire vibe of the forum, imo.

I would like to hear more about those hubcaps though.. :banana:

oldpotatoe
03-12-2018, 05:57 AM

Interesting..I started this thread yet don't do 'facebook', doubt I will ever...:eek:

Thanks for the mods for commenting tho, you guys really do do a great job.

Keith A
03-12-2018, 12:32 PM
Just wanted to let you know that the mods are discussing this issue. "IF" we did an OT classified section, what would do you think the minimum post count would be to gain access to this? BTW, unlike our current classified section, this OT one would be completely hidden from anyone who doesn't qualify.

smontanaro
03-12-2018, 12:40 PM
"IF" we did an OT classified section, what would do you think the minimum post count would be to gain access to this?

At least 200.

Also, as long as we're throwing around BTW's... I will offer a full-throated "meh" regarding whether it would be all that interesting (at least to me). No higher than +0 on the -1 - 0 - +1 scale... I like everybody here, and certainly appreciate the occasional OT discussion posts, but I wouldn't use it as a seller, and would unlikely be a buyer...

Sorry, couldn't make my "endorsement" less squishy.

MattTuck
03-12-2018, 12:43 PM
Just wanted to let you know that the mods are discussing this issue. "IF" we did an OT classified section, what would do you think the minimum post count would be to gain access to this? BTW, unlike our current classified section, this OT one would be completely hidden from anyone who doesn't qualify.

10,500 has a nice ring to it. haha. :) :help:

Seriously though, 300 posts (not in the classifieds obviously) and a join date of greater than a year ago?

I know there are some people who are long time members and enjoy reading posts, but rarely comment. If we have a measure of log ins over time, maybe that could be used also?

kramnnim
03-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Yeah, 300 and a year.

eBAUMANN
03-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Yeah, 300 and a year.

Agreed, this sounds like a good bar, at least to start.

FlashUNC
03-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Higher. If we truly want to make it something for long-time members: 2,500 posts minimum.

03-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Does this mean I'll get to post my bridge?

03-12-2018, 01:26 PM
One more rule: No dancing bananas.

weaponsgrade
03-12-2018, 01:27 PM
I'd be in favor of an OT classifieds section. I wouldn't want it to turn into a place where people are unloading stuff they bought from the Dollar Store last year, but I don't think that'll happen for the same reason we don't see people posting Walmart specials. I think most cycling aficionados and this community especially are quite deliberate and discriminating when it comes to other things. I don't really need a winter coat right now, but if I did, I'd certainly look at Patagonia. I don't know where to exactly draw the line on who gets to post to the classifieds - just that I think it should be some combination of post count and seniority.

MattTuck
03-12-2018, 01:49 PM
Higher. If we truly want to make it something for long-time members: 2,500 posts minimum.

Perhaps.

Just did a very quick sample of the first page of 3 recent threads that are near the top of the board. # of Posts vs. Join date.

Draw your own conclusions. 2500 doesn't sound outlandish, if we're trying to keep it somewhat exclusive.

This study has all sorts of problems, just trying to make it a bit more evidenced based.

huck*this
03-12-2018, 01:54 PM
How about the admins start a Poll? Let it run for a week and draw a conclusion from that?

1st poll. OT classifieds Yea or Nay.
2nd poll min post count. 250, 500, 1000, 2000
3rd poll donation to Paceline on a yearly basis for access

Just some thoughts I'm shooting out there.

echelon_john
03-12-2018, 01:57 PM
I'd vote for 500 posts AND a year of membership, and invisible until one has reached these milestones.

huck*this
03-12-2018, 02:01 PM
I'd vote for 500 posts AND a year of membership, and invisible until one has reached these milestones.

2nd

Likes2ridefar
03-12-2018, 02:05 PM

I think that kicks me out...let’s see

Nevermind, I pass by 300.

Personally I’d love to see this. I have a ton of things I’d like to sell but don’t do eBay after too many bad experiences years ago.

ntb1001
03-12-2018, 02:07 PM
How about the admins start a Poll? Let it run for a week and draw a conclusion from that?

1st poll. OT classifieds Yea or Nay.
2nd poll min post count. 250, 500, 1000, 2000
3rd poll donation to Paceline on a yearly basis for access

Just some thoughts I'm shooting out there.This looks like a good approach

I wouldn't mind a limited OT classifieds. It might be an opportunity to get the odd good deal and pass some on to others as well.

I also like the limited access to make it a bit more controlled.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

rnhood
03-12-2018, 02:35 PM
How about the selection of:

- One sale post per month and no PSA's. And contact seller via PM with questions or negotiations. Weight Weenies does this and have made their classified forum successful.

This would avoid turning the forum into a flea market. That's what ebay is for.

Michael Maddox
03-12-2018, 02:40 PM
13 years, and I'm halfway there.

Make it 2500 posts to even SEE the board, and I'll be happy. I can't imagine what a nightmare this will be for administration.

Ugh.

Bruce K
03-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Kicking around the idea of 1000

:banana::banana::banana:

You will NEVER see the dancing banana banished from this forum

WAY too much history

BK

dave thompson
03-12-2018, 03:31 PM
Kicking around the idea of 1000

:banana::banana::banana:

You will NEVER see the dancing banana banished from this forum

WAY too much history

BK....

Burnette
03-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Another "let's change Paceline" thread. OK.

Well, first, there isn't a shortage of sites that handle this type of thing and a few members have gave examples, so there's already a place for that. Invite fellow Paceliners to one of those sites and you're done.

Second, as we all know and have seen not too long ago, all classified transactions don't go well and when they don't it bleeds into the general and dirty laundry is and negativity spreads from it. Imagine when who knows what has been traded and it doesn't go well and the fights about it in the general. It's not like the mods need this in addition to lube, tubular, disc and butt cream fights.

Third, even though it will be "members only" you'll have people selling things for other people, adding to the drama. It earns some cash, gets bigger and then it becomes more than it should have been. And none of it is in no way related to Paceline's reason for being at all. And yet Paceline will be tangled up in it for naught.

I'm just another member here and if this passes so be it. I'm good. The only people it will do potential harm to is the users of it and the mods that have to referee it, so if you all agree, I say go for it.

cadence90
03-12-2018, 04:15 PM
.... ..

cmbicycles
03-12-2018, 04:27 PM
I like the idea of keeping things simple, especially for the mods.

So, in that vein, "Just sell/donate the stuff elsewhere." is my $0.02.

I don't think anyone here will be too put out if they don't get to buy oldpotatoe's parka, 72gmc's hubcaps, or Bruce K's drunk and exhausted dancing bananas through PL....

https://davidkanigan.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/banana-gif-crunches-gym.gif?w=600

:D
Don't forget 11.4's bridge... which I honestly think he is trying to pull the wool-blend over our eyes. I think this is his actual bridge, notice how it planes...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180312/d72caa46c9e997da21072e5f6cf74b4f.gif

joosttx
03-12-2018, 04:30 PM

Well, first, there isn't a shortage of sites that handle this type of thing and a few members have gave examples, so there's already a place for that. Invite fellow Paceliners to one of those sites and you're done.

Second, as we all know and have seen not too long ago, all classified transactions don't go well and when they don't it bleeds into the general and dirty laundry is and negativity spreads from it. Imagine when who knows what has been traded and it doesn't go well and the fights about it in the general. It's not like the mods need this in addition to lube, tubular, disc and butt cream fights.

Third, even though it will be "members only" you'll have people selling things for other people, adding to the drama. It earns some cash, gets bigger and then it becomes more than it should have been. And none of it is in no way related to Paceline's reason for being at all. And yet Paceline will be tangled up in it for naught.

I'm just another member here and if this passes so be it. I'm good. The only people it will do potential harm to is the users of it and the mods that have to referee it, so if you all agree, I say go for it.

<like>

Frankwurst
03-12-2018, 04:59 PM
I think it would be a huge disservice to the mods. My guess is they probably have enough on their plates just trying to keep up with the lunatic fringe the way it is. This place has been working rather well for quite a few years the way it is. Sometimes trying to improve something that works screws it up. :beer:

charliedid
03-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Okay...

Seems weird that we can't organize the current classifieds into some sort of useful fashion, segregating the commonly sold items into categories for easier usage. When someone brings it up it's all LA LA LA I can't hear you we don't wanna change it's too much work go away it's all fine. We like it this way.:) Yet someone brings up the idea of selling non cycling jackets (no offense to the potato man) toaster ovens, computers, neck ties and the like, it appears to have traction.

Weird or not weird?

cadence90
03-12-2018, 05:05 PM
.... ..

cadence90
03-12-2018, 05:11 PM
.... ..

charliedid
03-12-2018, 05:23 PM
Weird, weird, and weird.

Classifieds sub-forums:
FS
WTB
PSA

Pick 3.

Only then does #4, "Non-Cycling Stuff" even get the most cursory consideration, imo, etc.

Classifieds sub-forums:

FS
- Complete Bikes
-Frames
-Wheels
-Groups/Components
-Accessories

WTB
PSA

This makes sense to me....

Sorry for the thread drift.

Back to selling lawn furniture :)

csm
03-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Or.....

Sell a few spokes and toss in a jacket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charliedid
03-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Or.....

Oh yeah....about that <like> button!

William
03-13-2018, 06:19 AM
Don't forget 11.4's bridge... which I honestly think he is trying to pull the wool-blend over our eyes. I think this is his actual bridge, notice how it planes...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180312/d72caa46c9e997da21072e5f6cf74b4f.gif

Hey, what are you trying to pull?!?!?! That's the old Narrows Bridge in Tacoma, Wa...just before its stem broke and fell down.:bike:

William

oldpotatoe
03-13-2018, 06:32 AM
Or.....

Spokes-$100, jacket FREE!!:)

MattTuck
03-13-2018, 06:46 AM
Classifieds sub-forums:

FS
- Complete Bikes
-Frames
-Wheels
-Groups/Components
-Accessories

WTB
PSA

This makes sense to me....

Sorry for the thread drift.

Back to selling lawn furniture :)

I don't spend much time in the classified section. But there are several sub groups on reddit that have very strict rules for post titles. I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing here. The advantage, if the title format is consistent, is that you can more easily search for what you want.

[FS/WTB/PSA] [CB/F/W/G/A] [Brand/Product] [Other details]

and just delete threads that don't follow the format.

charliedid
03-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Spokes-$100, jacket FREE!!:)

Hehe!

charliedid
03-13-2018, 10:37 AM
I don't spend much time in the classified section. But there are several sub groups on reddit that have very strict rules for post titles. I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing here. The advantage, if the title format is consistent, is that you can more easily search for what you want.

[FS/WTB/PSA] [CB/F/W/G/A] [Brand/Product] [Other details]

and just delete threads that don't follow the format.

Sure, I don't disagree with any of that.

It just seems to me that if things were categorised it would keep things "relevant" longer and not get pushed to the second page so fast. I know the search function is there if you are say looking for a Chorus group or set of wheels to buy but still... Win/win if you ask me. I'm not clear on how much moderation is really needed in the classifieds vs General but I assume it's less work for the Mods who generously volunteer to keep things straight. I'd also encourage people to post (as a rule) multiple items into one thread and not list five items separately which certainly benefits poster with better exposure but also takes up space.

Okay enough about me, back to famous racers who are misunderstood!

:)

Climb01742
03-13-2018, 12:01 PM

Well said. To which I’d add:

Folks have had bad experiences selling stuff on other sites. Because sites where lots of stuff is sold tend to devolve to lowest common denominator.

It’s different here.

So the idea is to make a better site (us) more like the other sites so we can devolve, too, to the lowest common denominator...like those sites folks don’t want to sell stuff on because they kinda suck? So the idea is to become what we don’t like? And mess up what we do like about here? All so we can sell some stuff we don’t want anymore?

In short, we hate those other sites, so can we please become more like them?

Ok.

smontanaro
03-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Folks have had bad experiences selling stuff on other sites. Because sites where lots of stuff is sold tend to devolve to lowest common denominator.

It’s different here.

So the idea is to make a better site (us) more like the other sites so we can devolve, too, to the lowest common denominator...

I was thinking more along the lines of "we're better, so we won't devolve." But I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy. ;)

Climb01742
03-13-2018, 12:47 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of "we're better, so we won't devolve." But I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy. ;)

I admire your optimism! Experience, though, leads me more toward...when money’s involved, things go south.:p

smontanaro
03-13-2018, 01:10 PM
I admire your optimism! Experience, though, leads me more toward...when money’s involved, things go south.:p

If things get out-of-hand, we could just invoke the "Old Spud" rule:

Only people in good standing in the OT Classifieds can request wheel builds from @oldpotatoe.

That oughta do it. :cool:

rnhood
03-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Well said. To which I’d add:

It’s different here.

So the idea is to make a better site (us) more like the other sites so we can devolve, too, to the lowest common denominator...like those sites folks don’t want to sell stuff on because they kinda suck? So the idea is to become what we don’t like? And mess up what we do like about here? All so we can sell some stuff we don’t want anymore?

In short, we hate those other sites, so can we please become more like them?

Ok.

Both of these are very good posts with excellent points. And they perhaps constitute the best idea yet for giving a thumbs down to the idea of a flea market forum.

03-13-2018, 03:35 PM
Hey, what are you trying to pull?!?!?! That's the old Narrows Bridge in Tacoma, Wa...just before its stem broke and fell down.:bike:
William

Bike shimmy. If you'd only grabbed the top tube with your knees as you descended at high speed, none of this would have happened. This has been covered here in excruciating detail.

Oh, and dancing bananas. Those bananas just got the oscillations going, and then the harmonics, and then ... well, everything went to hell. One more reason for no OT Classifieds. The people that post there are the miscreants who like dancing bananas. Damn, my computer is shaking at the very thought.

galgal
03-13-2018, 03:50 PM
"I have a bridge to sell. Measures 5,989 feet long, so you can do inestimable one mile intervals all day on it. It's yours, so you shut off all traffic to it when you're training, and collect tolls when you aren't. Magnificent views, so you can simply ride it for the beauty of the surrounding countryside. Includes walkways so you can also support Red Hooks and other events for optional additional income, or open it to pedestrians on Easter Sunday for a flower walk. Close to a heliport. Walk to the nearest Shake Shack or Grimaldi's Pizza. Low downpayment required and it can be yours. For details, please inquire at forums.thepaceline.net/moderators."

Oh yeah:D

Burnette
03-13-2018, 03:54 PM
***This is not from Paceline, this is me having a bit of fun and to show how crazy this idea really is.***

1 If you are a retailer or manufacturer, you may advertise your products or services on our site, especially if your product is Cialis, Beer or Gummy Bears

2 You may advertise other websites, via posts, PMs, or signatures. This rule allows careless spammers to abuse our forum. Posts will inevitably devolve into a competitive nature. These posts will ensure that many members will be banned.

3 Any Forum members will not be allowed to post a message (new or responding to an existing one) in the OT Classified section until they have at least 3,000,000 postings in the other sections of the Forum and have been a member for at least 3,000 days.. NO EXCEPTIONS! so please do not ask. We ask this because we don't really want to keep our Forum a thriving community , it should be just a place to sell anything for free.

4 Non-cycling related items can be sold in the Classified section, but like not selling used tires, you can’t sell an open box of Depends.

5 Please be vague about asking price for all items offered for sale. This confuses everyone about the seller's expectations, and ramps up the unnecessary banter within the thread. It should also go without saying that we want to encourage "bidding" on items posted here.

6 As a seller, please do request that payment be made via doughnuts or prescription drugs because a dollar can be damn hard to find some times and never agree to meet somebody behind a dumpster. If you do, do so at your own risk and don’t blame/praise this site if/when it goes bad/good.

7 What you knuckle heads to buy/sell here is totally on you. If that parka don’t fit that’s what you get for taking a chance. Caveat emptor, or, you're old enough to know better, shame on you.

8 Paceline Forum moderators will indeed mediate disputes between parties engaging in transactions facilitated by OT classified participants members by putting them on trainers at max FTP. First one to fall and/or pass out loses the dispute.

Thank you,

The Mods, who got better things to do than worry about a toilet seat deal gone down the drain.