PDA

View Full Version : Dream Ti frame...

catulle
10-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Other than a Serotta, of course, which Ti frame would you like to own...?

pale scotsman
10-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Moots, or a TK special.

AgilisMerlin
10-08-2006, 08:37 PM
and my wife said it would be ok for VDB's wife to come over to the house and clean it - everyweek for me... :D

AmerliN

coylifut
10-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Moots, or a TK special.

i have the tk so how about a moots cross bike.

swoop
10-08-2006, 09:03 PM
tk/spec
if (xs please)
seven (big fan of their ti)
bill holland
strong
custom merlin

shinomaster
10-08-2006, 09:09 PM
http://www.moots.com/bicycle.php?ID=5

slowgoing
10-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Bought a used moots a few months ago and absolutely love everything about the ride (couldn't care less about what the welds look like). If the moots wasn't perfect, I would probably get a TK.

Grant McLean
10-08-2006, 09:25 PM
keith...

Serpico
10-08-2006, 09:52 PM
holland

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=8566&highlight=holland

:beer:

dave thompson
10-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Compact Spectrum. I have a Serotta.

coylifut
10-08-2006, 10:52 PM
ok. I've changed my mind, I'll take one of those Hollands

Sandy
10-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Spectrum

bcm119
10-08-2006, 11:03 PM
I'd take a Ti version of IF's club racer- as a rain bike. Geos similar to my road bike but with long reach brakes, fender eyelets front and rear, and no TCO with fenders. Maybe Kellog could make something like that. Doesn't matter who makes it, I'd just want that design/functionality, in titanium. I'd take it in steel too, but I can't afford either one right now...

vaxn8r
10-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Spectrum/IF/Davidson/Merlin/Holland. If I really had the dough to blow, it's a Spectrum from Tom Kellog. But second place (which is really third place) is probably Bill Davidson.

I think they can all build you a sweet ride.

vaxn8r
10-08-2006, 11:16 PM
I'd take a Ti version of IF's club racer- as a rain bike. Geos similar to my road bike but with long reach brakes, fender eyelets front and rear, and no TCO with fenders. Maybe Kellog could make something like that. Doesn't matter who makes it, I'd just want that design/functionality, in titanium. I'd take it in steel too, but I can't afford either one right now...
I've been thinking the same thing lately in regards to build just like that in ti. Not in the budget though.

coylifut
10-08-2006, 11:21 PM
I've been thinking the same thing lately in regards to build just like that in ti. Not in the budget though.

all of us Oregonians have that same dream. if it was in the budget, it wouldn't be a dream now would it.

EPOJoe
10-08-2006, 11:29 PM
My next Ti bike...

http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/site/EN/Models/TiCa_Low_Racer

bcm119
10-08-2006, 11:45 PM
all of us Oregonians have that same dream. if it was in the budget, it wouldn't be a dream now would it.

I've alwys wondered why are there so few stock frames like this. Everyone knows that it rains all winter here, and racing starts in Feb. It makes so much sense to have such a bike for training, but the ideal training bike hardly exists... Every racer in the northwest trains on a bike with some kind of "home made" gadget... zip tie flap, special fender cutouts, reach arounds, etc. Its strange that more products don't exist for this kind of riding.

vaxn8r
10-09-2006, 12:52 AM
I've alwys wondered why are there so few stock frames like this. Everyone knows that it rains all winter here, and racing starts in Feb. It makes so much sense to have such a bike for training, but the ideal training bike hardly exists... Every racer in the northwest trains on a bike with some kind of "home made" gadget... zip tie flap, special fender cutouts, reach arounds, etc. Its strange that more products don't exist for this kind of riding.
Yup! How true.

Co-Motion used to do ti in the 90's. They would be the perfect ones to do it for the PNW racer crowd. I'll talk to Dan next time I ride with him.

Too Tall
10-09-2006, 05:43 AM
Coals to Newcastle ;) Look no further than T.K. for your dream bike. It is about the man more than anything. His skills and your input = dream bike dot period.

Climb01742
10-09-2006, 05:48 AM
a "dream" bike would, i'd argue, be the result of a hands on, in person fitting by the builder himself. fit + craft = perfection. with that in mind, i'd vote for a trip to the barn/TK or trip to alpine/bill holland. short of that, i'd vote for a moots or serotta.

a personal aside, my IF ti CJ was disappointing. a bit mushy.

nick0137
10-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Strong fixie with a steel fork, eccentric BB, S&S couplers and threads cut for mudguards (which you take off when you pack it down to take it on a trip):

davids
10-09-2006, 06:23 AM
I know you said "other than Serotta", but my top 3 choices, in order, would be:

1. Serotta, either Legend or Concours
2. Spectrum
3. Moots 3/2.5

My dream full-Ti bike is a Serotta, atmo.

znfdl
10-09-2006, 06:50 AM
For Ti design and build there is only one and his name is Tom Kellog. Tom has now built my dream bike 5 times of which two were Ti. The last Ti bike is a complete dream ride :)

stevep
10-09-2006, 07:34 AM
tk, one of the worlds top frame builders. hands down.

dbrk
10-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Whomever you choose, be sure to get the bike built for 57mm std reach brakes. Alpha Q has a new fork that will work just swell and there are others. One can only hope that Reynolds will see the light of that day. Design the bike to be versatile because there is just not one good reason to limit it only to skinny tires atmoimhoyoclko,

dbrk

p.s. clko=cool lunch kid's opinion

zeroking17
10-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Whomever you choose, be sure to get the bike built for 57mm std reach brakes. Alpha Q has a new fork that will work just swell and there are others. <snip>
dbrk

I don't have a ti road frame, but if I were to ride one my gut instinct would be to go with a steel fork.

Are carbon fiber forks becoming the only option for titanium frames? Are there any potential disadvantages to using a steel fork on a ti frame (other than a few grams)? Is the lemming-like rush toward carbon fiber forks driven by economic, performance, convenience, aesthetic, or gravitational urges?

Archibald
10-09-2006, 08:45 AM
In no particular order

All of them.

But particularly

Steve Potts
Kent Eriksen
Carl Strong
Bill Holland
Jim Kish
Mike DeSalvo

If it could be only one, I'd go with Steve Potts, just because of *who* & what he is, and it wouldn't be a road bike and it wouldn't be Ti either for that matter! :)

billrick
10-09-2006, 09:11 AM
I should be riding one of these next spring . . .

http://www.hampsten.com/images/models/thumbs/sbti/sbtiwhole_lg.jpg

Dekonick
10-09-2006, 09:25 AM
David Kirk Terraplane (what?!? It isn't Ti? Well - I guess Joe Bell will need to paint it to look like it is Ti.)

dbrk
10-09-2006, 09:34 AM
I don't have a ti road frame, but if I were to ride one my gut instinct would be to go with a steel fork.

Are carbon fiber forks becoming the only option for titanium frames? Are there any potential disadvantages to using a steel fork on a ti frame (other than a few grams)? Is the lemming-like rush toward carbon fiber forks driven by economic, performance, convenience, aesthetic, or gravitational urges?

There is no reason not to use a steel fork and on a recent project that's exactly what we did (650B Tournesol in titanium). However, most folks are looking for the aesthetic of a carbon fork on a ti bike and the weight loss it entails. However, stationary weight is the most exaggerated feature of current marketing and your observation about lemmings, rushes, and urges seems to me spot on. But folks like what they like and that's okay with me!

dbrk

Fat Robert
10-09-2006, 09:43 AM
ti from the cat who did my steel frame (on the way, just waiting for the decals)

catulle
10-09-2006, 09:48 AM
ti from the cat who did my steel frame (on the way, just waiting for the decals)

Is that at cat.com bikes, atmo...? Is he related...? :eek:

Grant McLean
10-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Ti heaven...

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=264127432&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23452729@N00/

g

saab2000
10-09-2006, 09:56 AM
The Merlin Newsboy is pretty cool.

My dream ti bike is either a Legend or a Spectrum.

catulle
10-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Ti heaven...
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=264127432&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23452729@N00/
g

Is that a repair shop...? Some of the top tubes are broken, and the handlebars are unfinished (they still need to be bent properly). :eek:

Grant McLean
10-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Is that a repair shop...? Some of the top tubes are broken, and the handlebars are unfinished (they still need to be bent properly). :eek:

no, i don't think so. nothing there looks broken. lots of different shapes
and finishes are possible.

g

Serpico
10-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Terminaut's crib? (that guy is practically a ti frame historian)

catulle
10-09-2006, 11:08 AM
no, i don't think so. nothing there looks broken. lots of different shapes
and finishes are possible.

g

Oh...

djg
10-09-2006, 11:23 AM
I've been pretty darn happy with my Colnago, but if I were considering alternative dream ti (no more CT1s or 2s from Nago) it would be a very short list--Serotta Legend or Spectrum Super. No offense to the other fine builders out there--I've heard nothing but good things about Strong and DeSalvo and I know that IF and Moots have fans, but Serotta and Spectrum are about the whole of my ti day-dream list.

woolly
10-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Ti heaven...
g

A Ti Szazbo? How many of THOSE exist, 3 or 4?

BoulderGeek
10-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Not that I will ever have the discretionary income of some of you lucky collectors, but I have thought that a Moots Vamoots or a Legend Ti would be my all-Ti machines. I've been looking for closeout Colnago CT2s, as well.

But that Holland's internal cable routing and attention to detail really impressed me. Mmm, dat's fine.

mike p
10-09-2006, 03:41 PM

When the hell are we ever going to see this bike. It better live up to the hype!

Mike

SLOrider
10-09-2006, 04:02 PM
IF Ti

Tom Kellogg
10-09-2006, 04:14 PM
lemmings, rushes, and urges dbrk

Confession:
That describes me to a "T". I make myself sick with my jones for light stuff. Even when it makes no difference.

If you look back to that photo of me at the T-town Velo swap, I am on the second (and almost final) prototype of the new Reynolds "UL" fork. Talk about jones. In my steerer length, the fork weight is 280 gr. The deflection numbers are somewhat better than the Ouzo Pro in torsion and lateral stiffness but a tad softer in longitudinal stiffness. Pretty impressive, especially considering the weight. In my case, a fork like that one may even be termed better by the numbers, but I gotta' admit that it is the weight that gets me going. Is there a weight weenies anonymous out there?

rePhil
10-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I was looking for a used Legend when I came across a used Moots. This one is a keeper. It cured my frame lust.

But those Holland's look nice. Then there's Crisp,and Kish. And at the top of my list would be a Carl Strong built Ti the same specs as my steel. But knowing what I know it would be a difficult decision to pass on Moots.

Grant McLean
10-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Confession:
That describes me to a "T". I make myself sick with my jones for light stuff. Even when it makes no difference.

If you look back to that photo of me at the T-town Velo swap, I am on the second (and almost final) prototype of the new Reynolds "UL" fork. Talk about jones. In my steerer length, the fork weight is 280 gr. The deflection numbers are somewhat better than the Ouzo Pro in torsion and lateral stiffness but a tad softer in longitudinal stiffness. Pretty impressive, especially considering the weight. In my case, a fork like that one may even be termed better by the numbers, but I gotta' admit that it is the weight that gets me going. Is there a weight weenies anonymous out there?

There just is something very impressive about well engineered things.

g

jerk
10-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Other than a Serotta, of course, which Ti frame would you like to own...?

a de rosa. have heard they're awful, flexy, overpriced, but something about them.....

obtuse

AgilisMerlin
10-09-2006, 06:02 PM
here is my steed from 2003, will post an update soon. the saddle and stem and shifters and pedals and tires, and handlebar tape and and and and are different. Imagine that :crap:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b244/loverofallthingscampy/DCP_2862.jpg

AmerliN

saab2000
10-09-2006, 06:03 PM
a de rosa. have heard they're awful, flexy, overpriced, but something about them.....

obtuse

Yay!

The jerk is back.

catulle
10-09-2006, 06:08 PM

obtuse

You talking about me, atmo...? :no:

Big Dan
10-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Dream Ti?

One that doesn't put me to sleep..................... :eek:

fstrthnu
10-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Merlin Extralight imho.

Fstrthnu

pdonk
10-09-2006, 06:33 PM
A Ti Szazbo? How many of THOSE exist, 3 or 4?

If you ride a medium, one is for sale right now on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/rare-IBIS-Bow-ti-BOWTI-Bow-ti-frame-moots-seven-merlin_W0QQitemZ330036998026QQihZ014QQcategoryZ980 83QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330036998026

I test rode one when they first came out at Pedro's fest, it was a definitely a different feeling bike.

shinomaster
10-09-2006, 06:34 PM
does Merlin make a cross frame?

Ti Designs
10-09-2006, 06:35 PM
A Ti Designs/Indy Fab XS Pista - if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself!

chrisroph
10-09-2006, 06:40 PM
My dream ti bike is either a Legend or a Spectrum.

Hate to brag but I've got one of each. :)

gdw
10-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Pegoretti. i know Dario's history as a builder and know that he would choose or design the perfect tubeset to insure that i had the best riding ti bike that money could buy. :banana:

coylifut
10-09-2006, 06:50 PM
does Merlin make a cross frame?

they do if you ask nicely

catulle
10-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Pegoretti. i know Dario's history as a builder and know that he would choose or design the perfect tubeset to insure that i had the best riding ti bike that money could buy. :banana:

Dario only works with steel and aluminum, iirc.

woolly
10-09-2006, 07:01 PM
If you ride a medium, one is for sale right now on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/rare-IBIS-Bow-ti-BOWTI-Bow-ti-frame-moots-seven-merlin_W0QQitemZ330036998026QQihZ014QQcategoryZ980 83QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330036998026

I test rode one when they first came out at Pedro's fest, it was a definitely a different feeling bike.

That's a Bow Ti, not a Szazbo. Sort of similar Unified Rear Triangle kind of design, but Szazbo's were aluminum and had a single big pivot right in the middle of the frame. Bow Ti's were all titanium, and had no actual pivots (save for the shock mounts) - it relied on the flexing of those looooong ti tubes to give the travel. I'm betting that Ti Szazbo was a prototype, sort of like the Silkalugi (sp?) ti soft-tail cross bike that showed up on Ebay a year or two ago.

I'll admit that I've got a soft spot in my heart for the older Ibis stuff. I'd love to have one of any of these to add to my small collection (which currently includes a Ti Mojo, older Sebastapol Mojo w/ handjob, and one of the original limited-edition single-speed Mojo's (the "A" model - Augie).

I'd also love to have an old Spanky roadie or Hakkalugi, but what I'd really drool over is one of the original Ti Road's in my size (the ones with the sloping top tube, not the newer Sonoma Ti's). The one that was on the classified board here recently was just one size too small (sigh). Wish I'd never sold my old Trials Comp, too.

Maybe someday when I finally get the urge for one of these new-fangled plastic bikes, I'll try the new Ibis Silk Road. I know it's the same Ibis name, but Scott seems to be more of a paid spokesman than a real part of the new company. And that "new Ibis" doesn't seem to be the same as it used to be. Ah well, time marches on. The new guys do seem to be offering a pretty cool bike for a reasonable price, though.

But alas, I've got too many bikes in the stable right now as it is, and the spousal unit is cracking down on the "one bike enters, one bike leaves" rule. Can't even sneak one in the garage in parts anymore. :no:

FierteTi52
10-09-2006, 07:46 PM
I would like the following:
Moots YBB
Spectrum Ti
Titus Exogrid
S&S coupled Strong Frame Ti designed by Carl Strong and Dave Kirk
drinking a few beers together in Bozeman. Maybe if I buy Dave a Tig
welder, he would build a Ti bike for me.
Jeff