PDA

View Full Version : OT/FYI: Ken Burns' Civil War documentary series on Netflix

josephr
03-09-2018, 09:06 PM
I was looking for Icarus on Netflix when the Ken Burns' series on The Civil War popped up. I watched it a long time ago, looking forward to watching it again. I know a few fellow Paceliners will be interested to know. :banana:

I've not yet seen his series on Vietnam, but that's high up in the 'must watch' list.

oliver1850
03-10-2018, 12:28 AM
I have the Civil War somewhere on VHS, taped off broadcast TV. It's actually not as bad to watch as you might imagine, as most of the photos used were not exactly hi-def to begin with. I've only caught Vietnam sporadically. It's more emotionally involving for me because I lived through the era.

Ralph
03-10-2018, 07:29 AM
I watched the Vietnam series on PBS. I thought fairly balanced. Ken Burns description of how and when it came about and happened and how armies made out a little different than how our Gov't described war to us at home...at that time.

oldpotatoe
03-10-2018, 07:31 AM
I was looking for Icarus on Netflix when the Ken Burns' series on The Civil War popped up. I watched it a long time ago, looking forward to watching it again. I know a few fellow Paceliners will be interested to know. :banana:

I've not yet seen his series on Vietnam, but that's high up in the 'must watch' list.

VietNam series, like all the Ken Burn's series, is really excellent..makes you(or it did me) angry but...

fkelly
03-10-2018, 03:23 PM
You just have to read General McMaster's book Dereliction of Duty to see how fouled up the lead in to Vietnam was. Now he's the National Security Advisor.

The civil war was one of the first where advances in weaponry made charging entrenched positions suicidal (and accounted for astronomical casualty rates). This only got magnified through WWI ... then along came tanks and airplanes and changed the ground rules again. Now ... who knows?

Thanks for pointing out that the Civil War is available. Trying to browse through Netflix (or Amazon) for something to watch is a giant P.I.T.A. Amazing how much crap gets produced and distributed.

jumphigher
03-10-2018, 06:23 PM
Coincidently my wife and I are watching this series now. I bought the complete vhs set from CL recently. It's pretty enjoyable. Having just moved to the Richmond area a few mos ago we've aready visited many of the battlefields and historical places located here, as well.

bikinchris
03-10-2018, 07:20 PM
You just have to read General McMaster's book Dereliction of Duty to see how fouled up the lead in to Vietnam was. Now he's the National Security Advisor.

The civil war was one of the first where advances in weaponry made charging entrenched positions suicidal (and accounted for astronomical casualty rates). This only got magnified through WWI ... then along came tanks and airplanes and changed the ground rules again. Now ... who knows?

Thanks for pointing out that the Civil War is available. Trying to browse through Netflix (or Amazon) for something to watch is a giant P.I.T.A. Amazing how much crap gets produced and distributed.

At one time, a tank was a deadly war machine. Today, a tank is nothing much more than a moving coffin. The missiles and tank busting planes like the A10 and helicopters mean it's only a matter of time before you get lit up.

josephr
03-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Coincidently my wife and I are watching this series now. I bought the complete vhs set from CL recently. It's pretty enjoyable. Having just moved to the Richmond area a few mos ago we've aready visited many of the battlefields and historical places located here, as well.

nice.... visited a few of the old battlefields....Ft Morgan, Ft. Sumter, and Shiloh, Lookout Mtn, and Gettysburg....Visiting Gettysburg made every other battle site seem very small, localized....just goes for miles and miles and in all directions. Got any pics? favorites?