PDA

View Full Version : Winter is approaching... better than Assos?

terrytnt
10-08-2006, 07:29 PM
With 30-40s temps approaching, I wanted to purchase a good breathable jacket. The Lickbike folks recommended the Gore Windstopper over Assos. Certainly is a better price.

Has anyone had any experience with this product: http://www.windstopper.com/remote/Satellite?c=fabrics_product_c&childpagename=windstopper_en_US%2Ffabrics_product_ c%2FDetail&cid=1156475677265&packedargs=activity1%3DMensCycling%26activity2%3DM ensCyclingRoad%26gender%3DMen%26prodtype1%3DMensOu terwear%26seed%3D1&pagename=SessionWrapper

If not, what has worked well for you?

tnt

sc53
10-08-2006, 08:14 PM
The Gore Windstopper stuff is very well made. I bought a Showers Pass Century jacket on sale a couple of weeks ago and it also is a great product. They only make a few products, and they do them well. www.showerspass.com

manet
10-08-2006, 08:36 PM
tangently:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/4287_Cycling.html

Needs Help
10-08-2006, 10:57 PM
I wanted to purchase a good breathable jacket.
In my opinion, a good breathable jacket has windstopper on the front and jersey material of an appropriate thickness on the back to allow heat and sweat to escape easily.

terrytnt
10-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Question about the Shower Pass Century jacket. Would this be suitable for cold say 40 degree weather provided you use thermal shirt and jersey below?

I can less about waterproof, more about wind block and warmth.

Or would I be better off with Gore Windstopper?

thanks,

Erik.Lazdins
10-09-2006, 12:38 PM
I ride year 'round here in Tulsa, Ok. Since many of my rides in October-March are in the 30-40 degree range I have a few observations:

1. Sunlight has a dramatic effect on how cold/warm 35 degrees is: I have worn an Assos Gator jacket and been cold if its a hard north wind and dark at this temp. I have also been comfortable wearing a "light" longsleeve jersey with thermal underlayer.
If the sun is out I'll add 8 degrees to the temperature and dress for that.

Rain at this temperature range with wind is the toughest weather to dress for. I still haven't got it down.

2. If its dry and not a hard wind I go for breathability. I have found a craft windblock underlayer with a normal long sleeve fleece jersey works great at this temperature range. I sometimes add a second light wool vest for the colder end of the 30-40 degree range.

I try to dress to be warm 10 minutes into the ride. The first 5 or so minutes are cold, but once the body's furnace kicks in - all is good - Unless you have a flat!

With regard to the ultimate jacket for this temp - I don't have one and don't believe an Ultimate jacket exits. They either block water better or breathe better. I try to never wear a rain jacket unless its raining since they all seem to "steam up"

If the jacket fits well and does one thing well (water repellency/breathability)
its worth consideration.

Ray
10-09-2006, 02:04 PM
The showers pass jacket is basically a rain/wind jacket. It doesn't do much in terms of insulation, but can work well if you layer it with insulation underneath. My own take on cold weather, like Erik's, is that it depends. Temps above freezing can feel very different, depending on other factors like sun, wind, topography, etc. This even applies a few degrees below freezing. Down below the mid-20s, though, it's just cold.

I generally use a light thermal jacket when it's 35 or colder. Just a light baselayer until down in the mid-20s, and then maybe a second layer of light wool for a bit more insulation. I prefer this solution to the windbreaker with insulation beneath because the Castelli thermal jacket I have is so light and unobtrusive its like wearing a slightly heavier jersey and isn't bulky at all. With a wind layer and insulating layers, I tend to have to use heavier layers below and the whole thing starts feeling pretty bulky pretty fast.

I have an Assos Gator jacket I bought on ebay a couple of winters ago and have only worn it 2-3 times. Basically unless its stupid cold, the jacket is too warm. When its cold enough for that jacket, other body parts are likely to start falling off after an hour or so anyway, so that's the jacket to wear when its too cold to friggin' ride. Which limits its usefulness a lot. God knows what the FuguJac adds to that equation?

-Ray

marcus
10-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I have a Gore waterproof/breathable shell which is extremely versatile. The latest version weighs about seven ounces. It's cut long in the back for cycling and fits in a jersy pocket. You can layer whatever you need underneath to adjust for varying conditions. Also, keeping the insulating layer separate means that you don't have to launder the shell as often, which greatly extends its life. Just wash the sweaty base and insulating layers. I like mine enough that I will probably buy another to keep at my office for lunchtime rides.

Mud
10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Both of us use the Assos ClimaJet and it is warm enough. I wear a medium weight LS Jersey and a Pearl sleeveless underlayer because my long sleeve underlayer gets me too warm.

It does work the way Assos describes it. If that is what you want I recommend it.

http://www.assos.com/en/mens/detail.aspx?article=8&color=

crossjunkee
10-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Check out the jackets here:

http://www.boure.com/

They make great stuff, and stand behind it.

terrytnt
10-09-2006, 07:02 PM
From all the comments I think Erik summarizes best... you can't get a garment that covers both rain and cold. I ABSOLUTELY HATE RIDING IN THE RAIN... the clean-up especially is NOT worth the effort. So, call me a wussy, but I won't ride in the rain... only cold 30-40 degree weather.

So a rain/ wind-breaker (like Shower Pass) would NOT work for me.

I'm looking for a breakable, insulated jacket for 30-40 degree weather... something that will allow me to ride for at least 2 hours.

Has anyone considered the Assos Element One: http://www.assos.com/en/mens/detail.aspx?article=40&color=

The other option is Gore Windstopper which also seems to be a good tight fitting insulator (see link above)

Both are definitely pricey, but these tight fitting jacket seems my best bet.

any one riding with either jacket???

Ozz
10-09-2006, 07:43 PM
I have both an Assos AirJack (windstopper front, heavy jersey material on back) and an Etxe Ondo (full windstopper) that work well down to freezing, and a little below..as stated earlier, much below that and I stay at home. They've done the job to where I came home from a ride and was covered in ice, but was warm. I like them both very much...

I picked them both up on a close out for about $125 each...Prendas for the E-O and bicyclinghub.com for the Assos.

Some of the new Etxe Ondo stuff looks good, but is really pricey...much like Assos....

terrytnt
10-09-2006, 08:02 PM
OZZ, the Assos Airjack sounds perfect but $309 ouch!!! You think the Element One at $240 is similar but for warmer climate?

TimD
10-09-2006, 08:51 PM
I've just bought a Giordana Windtex jacket and am very happy with it so far.

B-I-N for about $75 on eBay.

tv_vt
10-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Hi,

If you're ok with wool...

I just got one of these. Only one ride but wonderful! Windblock on front, breathable back, no wind noise from flapping fabric. Nice pocket arrangement, nice sizing (for me anyway), nice fit around neck and arms. Don't know about rain, but cooler weather is what this is made for. Check it out: Ibexwear.com. Plus- on sale. Minus- only two colors.

Thom

sc53
10-10-2006, 07:56 AM
The Pearl Izumi Barrier or Gavia jackets also seem to offer what you're looking for too at half the price of the Assos and Exte Ondo jackets. I have the Barrier and it is close fitting with windblock material on front and jersey on back. Very warm, I can't wear it unless it's really cold out. But I tend to get warm quickly and sweat too much if I overdress.

terrytnt
10-10-2006, 08:08 AM
I really like the idea of an anatomically fit jacket, hate flapping in the wind.

What about 2006 Assos' Element One jacket... know it's expense, but will it do the job between 40-60 degrees? Anyone have any experience?

Needs Help
10-10-2006, 08:21 AM
I picked them both up on a close out for about $125 each...Prendas for the E-O and bicyclinghub.com for the Assos.

My god! It's easier winning the lottery two times in a row.

allezdude
10-10-2006, 09:18 AM
I have one (Gore finish line w/windstopper) and love it :) Versatile- can be ridden in 40s down into the teens (w/underlayer)- breathes really well- and like the snug fit and stretchy-ness of the material. I ordered a Biemme winter jacket thru my club and it is like a sponge compared to the Gore.

terrytnt
10-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Yes, the Gore Windstopper http://www.windstopper.com/remote/Satellite?c=fabrics_product_c&childpagename=windstopper_en_US%2Ffabrics_product_ c%2FDetail&cid=1156475677265&packedargs=activity1%3DMensCycling%26activity2%3DM ensCyclingRoad%26gender%3DMen%26prodtype1%3DMensOu terwear%26seed%3D1&pagename=SessionWrapper , I hear, is an outstanding, tight fitting jacket. Lickbike says better than Assos and much better price point.

Question, do you find it breathable? Can I wear this in 40s-low 50s without burning up or sweating a storm? Not a rain jacket like ShowerPass, but that's fine with me because I hate riding in the rain.

allezdude
10-10-2006, 09:03 PM
gore says the tool is a jacket for cold weather. if you're looking for something to wear in the 40s to low 50s take a look at their balance jacket. windstopper breathes quite well.

rwsaunders
10-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Most of the upper end PI products are great values imho. The amfib bibs, boots and gloves are hard to beat for the $. Most of the guys in our riding group are a bit on the Scottish side, so they've tried them all. If you follow Nashbar and Performance closeouts, they always seem to have PI, Gore and some other decent lines as new old stock.

Ozz
10-11-2006, 08:36 AM
...You think the Element One at $240 is similar but for warmer climate?
I don't think it has the full windstopper front...just where the faux leather / latex stuff is on the collar...it's weird looking stuff too...not to sure about it from a fashion sense. ;)

What Assos size are you looking for?

The Gore products I have seen look like good quality. I bought a pair of the windstopper full finger gloves last year and really like them. Same goes for the Craft stuff, but I have only used their undershirts.

terrytnt
10-11-2006, 09:31 AM
My size is a large (40-41 chest, 34 waist). What I like about Assos is their layering approach. So for 40-50 degrees, I can use a long-sleeve Powerstatic SL as base, and include a jersey if low 40s with the Element One on top.

I will not ride rain and much below 40...

Still think the Gore WindStopper makes sense, just not sure if it's overkill for only 40s.

Ozz
10-11-2006, 11:31 AM
My size is a large (40-41 chest, 34 waist). What I like about Assos is their layering approach. So for 40-50 degrees, I can use a long-sleeve Powerstatic SL as base, and include a jersey if low 40s with the Element One on top.

I will not ride rain and much below 40...

Still think the Gore WindStopper makes sense, just not sure if it's overkill for only 40s.
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=ASROJ
This might be your ticket....if you like yellow. They have at least one in Large

Assos 2004 Roubaix Jacket - $129.00

I wasn't too sure about the snap collar on my AirJack, but I really like it.

It is pretty much the same as garment as the AirJack, sans the windstopper. I find I don't really need the windstopper until it gets to 40 or below. Down to 45 or so, I prefer more breathability....you can always add a windstopper layer.

terrytnt
10-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Wow... thanks Ozz. That was a great find... thanks for pointing to the site (yellow was what I was looking for).

I agree with you about the Windstopper, think it's more appropriate for much cooler weather, my new Assos Roubaix jacket (Yellow-large) is on the way!!!

cheers

Ozz
10-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Happy to help! :beer:

Enjoy....it's a nice jacket.

Shopa
10-25-2006, 05:49 PM
I have been riding a Showers Pass Elite jacket...it is by far the best fitting, most breathable all waterproof shell I have ever seen or used. Bought it thru Colorado Cyclist. I was also a guest at Interbike last month and happened to stumble upon their crowded booth and checked out some of their new stuff. these guys are riders and know how to build really functional jackets.

AgilisMerlin
10-25-2006, 05:56 PM
if you can find a Vermarc jacket on Ebay, they have windstopper, are usually team jackets and are excellent.

just sent a friend my tiaa cref vermarc jacket and am using a domo farm frites vermarc jacket now.

best jacket ever owned.

Amerlin

keep looking more come up every week

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=vermarc&category0=

http://goride.com/gr_usa_domofftec2.htm

:banana:

Doc Hollywood
10-25-2006, 06:53 PM
I have their Windstopper Bibs and Jacket. Absolutely great stuff! Highly recommend.

The Jacket jersey has zip off sleeeves for the time when you head out early morning and its cool, then warms up. The bibs are warm and have a brushed lining in them making them warm and comfy. The nice thing about them is that the suspenders are adjustable and clip off and it has a zip fly. At $109 (bibs), they are true bargin.

Doc

93legendti
10-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi,

If you're ok with wool...

I just got one of these. Only one ride but wonderful! Windblock on front, breathable back, no wind noise from flapping fabric. Nice pocket arrangement, nice sizing (for me anyway), nice fit around neck and arms. Don't know about rain, but cooler weather is what this is made for. Check it out: Ibexwear.com. Plus- on sale. Minus- only two colors.

Thom
I have an Ibex Pingo and it is outstanding--buy it 1 size larger than normal unless you will only use 1 jersey underneath. After repeated rides in 40 degree weather no stink (wool lining) and it is warm and windproof.