PDA

View Full Version : Which spoke for a 28h 650b gravel build?

VTR1000SP2
03-09-2018, 05:24 AM
Need some suggestions folks.

I'm pulling together the parts for a 650b disc wheel build. So far all I have is the rims and hubs (Crest MK3 27.5", i9 road disc 6-bolt j-bend front, Powertap G3 Disc straight pull rear). My current challenge is deciding on a spoke, do I go for the cx-ray and hope they're laterally stiff or is there a better option that's also less costly (#2 behind performance being #1) like the Sapim d-light?

I will be running this setup tubeless and only on gravel/dirt. Open to suggestions outside of Sapim.

.RJ
03-09-2018, 06:13 AM
DT Comp. Cant go wrong. No need for cx-rays on a wheel like that.

VTR1000SP2
03-09-2018, 06:25 AM
DT Comp. Cant go wrong. No need for cx-rays on a wheel like that.

Well weight savings happens to be #3 on my list as the rims are approximately 340gr each and hubs around 470gr for the pair giving this build the potential to be quite light. For that alone I would consider a CX-ray or Aerolite option.

If a slightly heavier spoke could help build a more comfortable ride, I would be inclined to go with that option over a lighter option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.RJ
03-09-2018, 07:37 AM
If you want a lighter spoke, then sapim lasers are same weight as cx-rays, and a lot cheaper. They also make a d-light which is a little in between the lasers and race (similar to the dt comp) which could be good on the drive side rear.

I think spokes have very little influence in the ride quality of the wheel.

VTR1000SP2
03-09-2018, 07:42 AM
I was actually thinking Lasers all around except d-light drive side. Nice that this was your suggestion.

oldpotatoe
03-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Need some suggestions folks.

I'm pulling together the parts for a 650b disc wheel build. So far all I have is the rims and hubs (Crest MK3 27.5", i9 road disc 6-bolt j-bend front, Powertap G3 Disc straight pull rear). My current challenge is deciding on a spoke, do I go for the cx-ray and hope they're laterally stiff or is there a better option that's also less costly (#2 behind performance being #1) like the Sapim d-light?

I will be running this setup tubeless and only on gravel/dirt. Open to suggestions outside of Sapim.

340 gram rim.

NOT CX-Ray or Sapim D-Light or Lazer..you'll save a teeny bit of weight, and particularly with 28h and disc, you need a 2/1.8/2mm butted spoke like Sapim race.

Wandering around the Sapim site..56 Race-320 gr, 56 Cx-Ray or Lazer-235, 56 D-Light-270 grams....I don't think the thin spoke option for light rims, low-ish spoke count and disc is worth 50-100 grams total...

.RJ
03-09-2018, 07:52 AM
NOT CX-Ray or Sapim D-Light..you'll save a teeny bit of weight, and particularly with 28h, you need a 2/1.8/2mm butted spoke like Sapim race.

I've used super comp spokes on 26 & 29er disc wheels before, its fine especially with smaller wheels. My preference now is a wider, stiffer rim and DT comps - while heavier, I think the stiffer wheels are ultimately much faster and nicer to ride.

VTR1000SP2
03-09-2018, 07:53 AM
NOT CX-Ray or Sapim D-Light..you'll save a teeny bit of weight, and particularly with 28h, you need a 2/1.8/2mm butted spoke like Sapim race.

Why not the D-Light out of curiosity?

oldpotatoe
03-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Why not the D-Light out of curiosity?

Still a thin center section design. A disc, lowish spoke count and light rim wheelset still needs a certain amount of support.

VTR1000SP2
03-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Still a thin center section design. A disc, lowish spoke count and light rim wheelset still needs a certain amount of support.

Thank you for explaining.

dem
03-09-2018, 08:15 AM
Been riding (abusing) a set of 28H, 35 mm deep/25mm wide light-bicycle carbon rims with CXRay and disc brakes for 5000+ miles.. although I haven't had any issues, I think I'd go Race next time too.

If I really crank on the front end under static load, I can kinda make things move around a bit.. in the long term, this probably isn't ideal.

oldpotatoe
03-09-2018, 08:18 AM
Been riding (abusing) a set of 28H, 35 mm deep/25mm wide light-bicycle carbon rims with CXRay and disc brakes for 5000+ miles.. although I haven't had any issues, I think I'd go Race next time too.

If I really crank on the front end under static load, I can kinda make things move around a bit.. in the long term, this probably isn't ideal.

Carbon a different animal and you can probably get away with thinner spokes for reliability but as you mentioned, they just aren't as stiff as with dbl butted spokes with 1.8mm center section, 2mm butts.

VTR1000SP2
03-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Carbon a different animal and you can probably get away with thinner spokes for reliability but as you mentioned, they just aren't as stiff as with dbl butted spokes with 1.8mm center section, 2mm butts.

Any concern with a 2/1.7/2 spoke like the DB14?

oldpotatoe
03-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Any concern with a 2/1.7/2 spoke like the DB14?

Not a fan of Wheelsmith in general..seen too many 'give up the ghost' and lose their center section integrity(tighten nipple, rim moves in opposite direction) and too many 'barber pole. Sapim Race, SecureLock nipples..this gent can source them if you have the length

yojimbo.chicago@gmail.com

Mark McM
03-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Normally, it is best to use thinner spokes with lightweight rims. Thicker spokes can help make a wheel with a light rim stiffer - but they may also make the wheel less durable. The reason is this:

The ground contact area, which is where the wheel applies weight bearing loads to the ground, is relatively small. One of the goals in wheel design is to spread the load over a wider area, to minimize peak loading. The area over which the load is spread is mostly governed by the relative stiffnesses of the rim and the spokes. The stiffer the rim and the thinner the spokes, the more widely the loads will be spread. But the more flexible the rim and the thicker the spokes, the more concentrated the loads will be on just a few spokes (and the spoke holes they attach to). We learned long ago that mixing lightweight rims with thick spokes was a recipe for cracked rims and broken spokes. If using thin spokes doesn't yield adequate wheel stiffness, the solution is more spokes, not thicker spokes. Consider: 36 2.0/1.5/2.0 spokes weighs the same as 24 2.0mm straight spokes - but the 36 2.0/1.5/2.0 spokes will make for a more durable wheel.

The Crest MK3 is a very light and shallow rim. If you aren't too heavy, you can probably use 2.0/1.5/2.0 on the front and left rear - particularly if the hubs have widely spaced flanges - and maybe 2.0/1.8/2.0 for the right rear. In any case I wouldn't recommend anything thicker than 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes for any position.

VTR1000SP2
03-09-2018, 10:17 AM
I’m about 150lbs kitted up and the bike is about 17lbs. I appreciate your input on spoke choice.

VTR1000SP2
03-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Not a fan of Wheelsmith in general..seen too many 'give up the ghost' and lose their center section integrity(tighten nipple, rim moves in opposite direction) and too many 'barber pole. Sapim Race, SecureLock nipples..this gent can source them if you have the length

yojimbo.chicago@gmail.com

Good to know. Will stick to DT or Sapim.

yetitotheheady
03-09-2018, 11:09 AM
I haven't searched the whole internet for them but I don't believe all of the spokes being discussed here are available in straight pull for the rear wheel. Or at least would be significantly harder to come by.

VTR1000SP2
03-11-2018, 06:24 AM
Assuming 3x is the way I'd want to go with a 28h disc build?

oldpotatoe
03-11-2018, 07:05 AM
Assuming 3x is the way I'd want to go with a 28h disc build?

The straight pull rear hub spoke holes will dictate crossings but probably 2 cross.
I’d lace the front 3 cross, inside pulling it ‘heads out’ lacing.

.RJ
03-11-2018, 07:17 AM
all of mine have been built 2x front and rear w/ DT comps.

ripvanrando
03-11-2018, 07:19 AM
I haven't searched the whole internet for them but I don't believe all of the spokes being discussed here are available in straight pull for the rear wheel. Or at least would be significantly harder to come by.

The DT Comp 14/15/14 is made in straight pull as is its sibling in bladed. I doubt more beefy is out there.

I just use x-rays j bend on all my non-disc brake wheel.

ergott
03-11-2018, 07:58 AM
I chose Nox Skyline 27.5 rims for my bike. They are similar weight 350g and since they are carbon they are a lot stronger than the Stan's. With a stiffer rim you can confidently use lighter gauge spokes. I have all Lasers 32/32. Very light wheelset and has been through a couple D2R2s and the like.

VTR1000SP2
03-11-2018, 08:06 AM
Appreciate all the responses, cheers fellas!