PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Saddles

FlashUNC
03-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Alright, someone drop some knowledge on me. Like 'em? Hate 'em? Looking at Arione CX alternatives since the new R1 doesn't play as well with the gooch, and the Fabrics seem to have a similar shape and material to the old Arione CXs.

What say you?

veggieburger
03-08-2018, 03:54 PM
I like mine. Seems well made. Good, firm support.

jtakeda
03-08-2018, 03:56 PM
Not much help since the arione cx wasn’t for me.

I like flites and brooks cambium has been good for reference.

The fabric scoop radius didn’t work for me. FWIW I believe they have a 60 day return policy.

R3awak3n
03-08-2018, 03:57 PM
I liked them so much I switch all my power saddles to them.

I like the scoop shallow but they make them in different profiles. Also you can get them for really good deals.

rst72
I love mine.

On two bikes I had a Fizik Kurve Chameleon and recently swapped for the Fabric Scoop Shallow (similar shape to Chameleon/Antares) on one to give it a try for something different. Bought another right away for bike #2.

MattTuck
Alright, someone drop some knowledge on me. Like 'em? Hate 'em? Looking at Arione CX alternatives since the new R1 doesn't play as well with the gooch, and the Fabrics seem to have a similar shape and material to the old Arione CXs.

What say you?

I tried one the summer before last. Not sure if they've changed their material since then, but my general feelings were 1) fairly comfortable and good support. 2) that material was pretty grippy in normal weather, but uncomfortably sticking in humid weather. Trying to ride in humidity felt like my shorts were made from the sticky side of duct tape.

Like I said, maybe they have changed materials, or that was a specific model. Just one data point.

macaroon
03-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Good saddles, nothing like the Arione in terms of shape, the covers are too sticky so it makes it difficult to move around.

Mzilliox
03-08-2018, 04:12 PM
i used to ride arione, now i ride fabircs, from shallow scoop to alm

Tickdoc
03-08-2018, 04:37 PM
alm x2 rider here. It is suprisingly comfy. When I held it in my hand I thought there was no way, but it has enough built in flex for comfort and you can actually scoot around on it a bit, which is why Arione's were always my favorite.

jamesdak
03-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Add me to the thumbs up. I've got a scoop shallow, scoop flat, and just ordered another scoop flat. They are working for me. I've also got a couple of Arione's going that work for me as well as Kurve Snakes and Chameleons. My last three saddle purchases have been the Fabrics if that says anything.

Hilltopperny
03-08-2018, 06:08 PM
I have fabric saddles on 3 bikes. The first non leather suspended saddle that has worked for me when doing over 50 miles. I'm very impressed with their bar wrap as well.

one60
03-09-2018, 03:16 AM
I find the scoop radius to be very similar to the older Fizik Aliante shape. They are well made and long lasting. I particularly like how the design of the base and top make for a very clean appearance.

joosttx
03-09-2018, 06:25 AM
I replaced an airone cx for a brooks cabium on my mosiac. They are similar enough but I think I like the airone better but not enough to switch them out. The airone is just quality.

mcteague
03-09-2018, 06:32 AM
I find the scoop radius to be very similar to the older Fizik Aliante shape. They are well made and long lasting. I particularly like how the design of the base and top make for a very clean appearance.

I was looking at the Radius Race vs Shallow Race trying to figure out which was closer to the Aliante, which is currently my go-to saddle. They look very similar. Thanks for your input.

Tim

sparky33
03-09-2018, 07:58 AM

Good intel.
Not sure I'm liking the shape of the current generation of the Aliante...a Scoop Radius might do the trick.

chiasticon
03-09-2018, 08:07 AM
Good saddles, nothing like the Arione in terms of shape, the covers are too sticky so it makes it difficult to move around.this is my favorite part. I have one on my MTB and enjoy this aspect a lot. might move it over to my road bike to see how it goes. similar to the OP, I've otherwise got Arione's (R5; the cheap one) everywhere.

MagicHour
03-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Love em. Have them on both bikes now. Installed a Line Race 142 on my trainer bike a couple weeks ago and it's been super comfy for 1:00+ Zwift rides so far, should be stellar out on the road. I have the similarly shaped/sized Scoop Shallow Race on my other bike. Comparing the two the Line feels slightly firmer and of course has a cutout channel.

velofinds
03-09-2018, 10:20 AM
My favorite saddle. Vintage Flites are my favorite to look at, but these are my favorite to actually ride bikes on :banana:

MagicHour
03-09-2018, 10:41 AM
Pretty sure if I tried an old Flite nowadays like I use to ride, it would physically split me in half lol :)

My favorite saddle. Vintage Flites are my favorite to look at, but these are my favorite to actually ride bikes on :banana:

tourmalet
03-09-2018, 11:13 AM
Put one on my commuter fixie. Don't mind riding in jeans now!

Nooch
03-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Not to entirely threadjack, but anyone have any experience on the Scoop Shallow versus the 2nd gen Selle Italia Flite?

RobJ
03-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Not to entirely threadjack, but anyone have any experience on the Scoop Shallow versus the 2nd gen Selle Italia Flite?

Another happy Fabric user. I use the Shallow on some road bikes and works quite well. Comfortable, easy to move around on, firm but has some comfort. The Radius has just a bit more padding designed for more upright riding, so works nice on a mountain or gravel bike. Recently tried the Line as well with the the cutout channel and seems to do the job quite nicely.

I was using the Flite Flow's and tend to favor the Fabric's. Tend to have a bit more flex in the saddle but without giving up support. Material is nice too in that it's easy to clean and doesn't seem to scuff as easy.

ltwtsculler91
03-13-2018, 08:45 AM

I know somewhere you could grab one to try... And I may be looking to move one of mine soon

Best saddle I've ridden, I have an ALM on my No22 and Scoop Shallows on my other two bikes. With 2 new bikes incoming and 1 leaving, I'll be adding 2 more ALMs as I find the all carbon minimal padding saddle to be even more comfortable than the standard Scoop which is an awesome saddle as is.

Climb01742
03-13-2018, 09:17 AM
Best saddle I've ridden, I have an ALM on my No22 and Scoop Shallows on my other two bikes. With 2 new bikes incoming and 1 leaving, I'll be adding 2 more ALMs as I find the all carbon minimal padding saddle to be even more comfortable than the standard Scoop which is an awesome saddle as is.

Interesting. Can you pinpoint why the ALM is more comfortable? Going to try a Fabric and while I'm probably start with a standard Scoop, I may start saving my pennies for an Ultimate or ALM. Thanks!

FlashUNC
03-18-2018, 09:29 PM
Got a Scoop Race Flat Ti out for a ride this weekend for the first time. Suitably impressed. Very Arione CX-esque and my gooch seems happy with the state of affairs. Might be my go-to as my other Arione CXs wear out. Now if only they released them in some colors...

RobJ
03-18-2018, 09:45 PM
Got a Scoop Race Flat Ti out for a ride this weekend for the first time. Suitably impressed. Very Arione CX-esque and my gooch seems happy with the state of affairs. Might be my go-to as my other Arione CXs wear out. Now if only they released them in some colors...

Some models are offered in colors, but they aren't widespread. Here's one:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/fabric-scoop-cromo-saddle?sg=500

jiii
03-19-2018, 04:23 AM
I made the switch from a Fizik Antares to a Fabric Scoop Shallow and haven't looked back. It's a seriously comfy saddle.