PDA

View Full Version : OT: Do I need new running shoes?

Karin Kirk
10-08-2006, 05:27 PM
How often should one replace running shoes? I have a pair of Salomon ultra-bling trail running shoes that I got last fall. I used them for trail running throughout the fall, but then I liked them so much I wore them all summer for everyday shoes. Does that mean I should get a fresh pair for this fall's trail running?

I don't do highly vigorous trail running - about 45 minutes 4-5x per week. Oct-Nov is the only time of the year that I run, because it's not really my thing. But it's a good way to get a quick workout while I'm waiting for ski season to start.

thanks!
-Karin

Birddog
10-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Get a new pair. Run in the old pair, then the next run in the new pair. You'll know right away whether or not the old ones have some running life left in them. If they do, wear 'em out and you'll have your backups ready to go. You do order them through the PSIA link, don't you?

Birddog

coylifut
10-08-2006, 07:22 PM
I run during the cross season every year. I get new shoes just before starting. If not, my back and knees will remind me to do so. I'm with Birddog on this one.

Sandy
10-08-2006, 10:37 PM
I am certainly not a runner.

Most people would probably say I am not even a cyclist.

But, I can answer your question rather easily.

Why would you not get another pair is really the question. You love the shoes so much that you use the pair as everyday shoes. So, I would say get another pair, use the new ones for running, since that is more demanding on the shoes and your feet. If you wind up running very little, than so what? You have another new pair of shoes that you really enjoy. You will wear them and enjoy them , no matter what.

However, this time, don't go for the discounted price deal. Get a left and a right, not too lefts like last time! :) :)

Always left behind and hardly ever right,

:banana: Shoeless Sandy :banana:

Kevan
10-08-2006, 10:41 PM
he might be dangerous, but he can't run.

Lincoln
10-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Karin,

Listen to Sandy(?)!!

Sounds like you logged enough time in them between running and general wear. Time for a new pair for running, keep the old ones for kicking around in. I would get the same model since it seems that they were a good match for you.

Sandy
10-08-2006, 10:43 PM
You would be a whole lot less dangerous, if you could run. Please get off my lap! :) :)

Your Bud

gasman
10-08-2006, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE=Lincoln]Karin,

Listen to Sandy(?)!!

Sounds like you logged enough time in them between running and general wear. Time for a new pair for running, keep the old ones for kicking around in. I would get the same model since it seems that they were a good match for you.

The problem I have found with running shoes is that the makers change the models so frequently. The same model of brand X will be changed the next year. I end up getting a different pair every year, didn't used to be the case.

If they still make the same model without changes--get a new pair. Running is a privilege, not a right. Treat your body right.

Avispa
10-09-2006, 01:50 AM
....I used them for trail running throughout the fall, but then I liked them so much I wore them all summer for everyday shoes.

Karin,

I replace or stop running with my running shoes as soon as they begin to lose the (straight) shape they had when new. I don't care if the sole looks new. I've learned that bad running shoes (or shoes going bad) just kill my legs and I can not ride well later, because of sore muscles.

I normally have 2 to 3 pairs of shoes and I rotate then often, so they stay in top shape. For me the 2 pairs will go a good 1 to 1.5 years of running one to four times a week (4 to 7 miles each time), more in the Winter, less in the Summer.

If I were you, I'd get a new pair every Fall and then use that pair for the rest of the year as everyday shoes. But don't use these old shoes again for running in the Fall... Running shoes get really beat up when used as "everyday sneakers" and they won't feel the same or protect you as much after a year of use. By using your running shoes everyday, you probably put more miles on those shoes, than I ever ran on mine! Think about it....

I either get the same or an improved model of the brand you consider the best for you. For me overall strong support and maximum direct cusion is more important than anything, because I run on hard surfaces all the time.

Regards,

A.

SponsorsWanted
10-09-2006, 02:01 AM
As a rule I replace my running shoes twice a year, new pair in august, new pair in february. I put in about 25-30 miles a week.

CalfeeFly
10-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Running shoes generally last 300 to 500 miles. Often your body will tell you when they are shot since you will get more aches and pains. If you run for many years you end up with a bunch of shoes that don't look that bad but are worn out for running.

Lincoln
10-09-2006, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=Lincoln]
The problem I have found with running shoes is that the makers change the models so frequently. The same model of brand X will be changed the next year. I end up getting a different pair every year, didn't used to be the case.

Gas, Very true. Obviously the internet does make it easier to find shoes that may be a year or two old but when that fails I find that if you stay with the same brand and do a little research you can find which model has replaced your old fav., the changes are usually 98% cosmetic.

Avispa, Good advice on the rotation, 'though I think it is usually only necessary for people who are doing mid to high mileage (40+ miles/weeks) or have a history of injuries. When doing a shoe rotation I suggest using different brands or at least models. The idea being that even the shoes that are a good match for you are not perfect so this way each pair will be "wrong" in a slightly different way. Does that make sense?

Serotta PETE
10-09-2006, 12:12 PM
You would be a whole lot less dangerous, if you could run. Please get off my lap! :) :)

Your Bud

Sandy, stop smiling and he will :no:

Kevan
10-09-2006, 12:22 PM
take my seat. I insist!

(Where those new running shoes of mine?)

Serotta PETE
10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
:cool: I would not want to upset SANDY>>>>>>

take my seat. I insist!

(Where those new running shoes of mine?)

catulle
10-09-2006, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=Lincoln]Karin,

If they still make the same model without changes--get a new pair. Running is a privilege, not a right. Treat your body right.

Ditto. The reason why I never buy Nike, as they seem to change models and lasts (!) every other day. Assics and New Balance keep a more consistent line of products.

The materials on the soles of running shoes do deteriorate with time and use. Therefore, it is best to rotate them or change them for new ones every so often. Exactly how often depends upon your weight, how often you use them, on what surface you use them, etc. I don't run very much any more, but every year or two I buy a new pair of running shoes and keep the old ones for everyday use. I don't think it is a good idea to use the same pair of shoes for excercising as well as for everyday use. Just my $0.002

jckid
10-09-2006, 12:51 PM
I replace my running shoes every 250-300 miles. I seem to only get 250 miles out of my current favorite model, but some others have lasted me past 300 miles. They usually still look good after that many miles, but I can feel when they start to break down. I rarely run on trails though. My mileage is 99% on pavement.

Fixed
10-09-2006, 01:04 PM
good advise get a couple of new shoes
dave can afford it i.m.h.o.
cheers

Karin Kirk
10-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, that helps a lot. I ordered the new shoes. I was able to find the same model; all they changed was the color. Too bad the super cute pink ones were sold out in my size already. But these are still decent-looking.

Yes, Birddog, I always buy through the PSIA pro program - what a great deal that is! Are you a member as well?

And very shortly I will head out, in the blustery snow flurries @37 degrees, for my season's first trail run. Yay!

gasman
10-09-2006, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=gasman]

Ditto. The reason why I never buy Nike, as they seem to change models and lasts (!) every other day. Assics and New Balance keep a more consistent line of products.

I agree- Nike is one of the worst offenders in changing their lineup. I think they are on a 6 month cycle.

dzen
10-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Typical running shoes sitting on a self in a closet will lose some midsole cushioning over 2 years.

If your using the shoes you probably won't get more then 6 good months out of them, and that is a stretch for many folks.

If your heavy, or have a destructive gait, replace more often. If your really light and efficient you may get more miles out of your shoes.

It seems expensive, but with running there really isn't anything else to buy on a regular basis. I still wear the same rain jacket I wore seven years ago.

On a side note, I find as I get older I need to pay more attention to the 10% rule.

Most of us mere mortals should not increase the distance, time, or, difficulty of our running more then 10% a week beyond the most minimum amount we can tolerate injury free.

I broke that rule yesterday and am paying for it today. Being in reasonable shape from cycling makes it easy to break the 10% rule. :(