PDA

View Full Version : Flipping the question - If you HAD to give up one bike..

taz-t
03-07-2018, 10:14 AM
So most of us are guilty of the n+1 cycle...

Rather than pick the one bike you'd keep if you could only keep one...

What is the first bike you'd release if you had to get rid of one?

For me, it's this Ibis. I just don't ride off road enough to justify two mtbs. My well worn Bontrager is sufficient.

benb
03-07-2018, 10:38 AM
I only have 3 bikes, and they don't overlap too much.

Trek Domane
All City Space Horse
Giant NRS (F/S MTB)

I'd probably have to vote the NRS. It's really old and the rims are on their last legs due to corrosion of nipples making it hard to true the wheels. I could easily see something on the frame breaking too, but I clearly got one of the good frames as it's been trucking for almost 15 years. I am kind of assuming the bike is going to be completely replaced if the wheels go. They're Mavic CrossMax XLs from about 2008, and buying another set of wheels at that price point for such an old bike seems silly. That bike is running 9-speed SRAM X.0 with an ancient (Pre Hollowtech II) 3X XT crankset. It's all really old stuff with lots of incompatibilities with modern MTB stuff. It does have a modern shock and relatively modern hydro brakes that work really well. But the bike overall is a very capable bike, it was the most expensive version of the frame when I got it, so there's been no reason to replace it until something is going to cost major money.

ripvanrando
03-07-2018, 10:39 AM
The tandem. Depressing looking at it gather dust year after year.

Clean39T
03-07-2018, 10:57 AM
My 29er that’s for sale in the classifieds - just too hard for me to get to trails and commit the time. Given 6 hours on a Saturday, I’d rather spend 100% of that riding - and that only happens if I open my garage door and leave on two wheels.

saab2000
03-07-2018, 11:00 AM
I hate to say it, but probably my Serotta CIII coupled bike. It just doesn't get ridden all that much and I don't really travel with it much. It may take a trip later this summer so it might stick around, or it might not. It may just be worth it to pay the fee for the full sized case for this trip and quit worrying about the S&S.

For US domestic trips I can just ship a bike via Bike Flights or a similar service and have it waiting for me.

I do wish to downsize and this might be the one that goes.

tuscanyswe
03-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Haha tough one but i gave up my roadie moots not long ago. That was tough as it was likely the best frame i ever had. But there is something about getting a new experience even if its not better. + the new owner treated it to some needed love and care including refinish and polished logos. Will look ace. I can go on knowing its in nice company .)

kppolich
03-07-2018, 11:03 AM
I'd give up my TT bike, don't use it enough to justify having it hanging on the wall but it keeps me motivated just looking at it once in a while.
https://www.pedalroom.com/p/giant-trinity-advanced-sl-0-32491_3.jpg

jtbadge
03-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Shamefully, it has to be the MX Leader. After getting an aluminum road bike, this thing just never got ridden.

https://www.pedalroom.com/p/eddy-merckx-mx-leader-29250_30.jpg

TurboTom
03-07-2018, 11:10 AM
I currently have 7 bikes ready to ride, one in assembly, one on order and some framesets and 2 frames that I am in the process of building myself (one bamboo and one lugged steel). I regularly rotate my road bikes daily. My limited edition Specialized CruX Evo gravel bike, my handbuilt custom Jeff Jones mountain bike and my 1986 Centurion Ironman don't see as much use. It seems logical I'd give up one of these first, but they all serve a specific purpose when I do ride them at least a couple of times a year. So, that leaves a custom Paul Taylor fixed gear (with front and rear brakes for road duty), my custom Erickson Ti Di2 road bike, my 14.4 lb. Fuji SL One.1 Di2, my lugged steel Vincent (1st one handbuilt by me), a custom lugged Oasis, made with all vintage 531 Reynolds tubes, built by my friend and frame building mentor Omar Khiel being assembled as I write or perhaps the Speedvagen Road I'm currently waiting on. I've dialed in all these bikes and am pretty comfortable on any one for 100+ miles. Lack of storage space is my only limiting factor. My 2018 New Year resolution is to put the N+1 rule on hold for 12 months and perhaps think about which one I would be willing to give up? Only time will tell.

rePhil
03-07-2018, 11:16 AM
Good timing. It's complicated, but just this morning I started thinking about selling my Look 585 F&F, size small.

saab2000
03-07-2018, 11:20 AM
Good timing. It's complicated, but just this morning I started thinking about selling my Look 585 F&F, size small.

I'm sitting on surplus 585s as well. One may go this summer, leaving me with plenty in reserve.

I definitely need to optimize my fleet size. One just left though another is incoming. At least the incoming one will get far more usage than the one that just left.

Bostic
03-07-2018, 11:31 AM
I sold my 1991 Fuso a couple of years ago. I barely spent time on the bike after getting my Steve Rex. Thought about it for months than found a nice appreciate buyer on craig's list. No regrets and I'm glad it found a good home.

vav
03-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Man (or woman) this is a tough one. Currently I only own an IF MTB and a Zanc CX/Road/Gravel/whatever...They both see similar use as I tend to alternate my rides. Can't really think of one I'd get rid of if I had to. This question sucks :cool: Next one please :)

Tickdoc
03-07-2018, 12:35 PM
easy. my gravel/allroad/commuter fail.

https://i.imgur.com/N9qKKgrl.jpg

pdmtong
03-07-2018, 12:35 PM
2013 Moots CR (last year of the integrated seat binder!)

PNW
03-07-2018, 12:42 PM
2013 Moots CR (last year of the integrated seat binder!)

Really?! What a beautiful ride..that’s not saying much because all of your bikes that I’ve seen are wonderful.

eippo1
03-07-2018, 12:52 PM
Mine would be my FS Specialized Camber. Didn't get out once on it last year in spite of living directly across from the Fells. Intend to change this this year.

pdmtong
03-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Really?! What a beautiful ride..that’s not saying much because all of your bikes that I’ve seen are wonderful.
thanks for that . the CR would not be easy to give up since I really like it a lot but of what I have it is the most easily replaceable with something else. (bending the N-1 edict taz has laid down)

makoti
03-07-2018, 12:58 PM

Yours ;)

bironi
03-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Shouldn't this post be in the Classifieds?
Mods, where are you?

charliedid
03-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Mine would be my FS Specialized Camber. Didn't get out once on it last year in spite of living directly across from the Fells. Intend to change this this year.

The Fells sounds like a good place to hurt yourself! ;-)

Where is it?

jamesdak
03-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Ah, this is much easier to answer.

It would be this because I always seem to pass it up for any of my other twentysome bikes while picking the ride for any given day.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/165022215.jpg

Bonesbrigade
03-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Definitely my Cervelo P2C TT bike - I haven't used it in 3 years!

I'm going to finally post it for sale locally this week.

Andy sti
03-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Going for the TT bike too. Although I use it for the stage races I do I wont be riding it when I'm done racing.

DarkStar
03-07-2018, 01:55 PM
My 1991 yeti FRO, it's been ten years since last riding it. Need to find a good home for it.

mt2u77
03-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Definitely my Cervelo P4. My tri itch has been satisfactorily scratched and the bike is totally impractical for recreational riding. It lives on my trainer now, which is a freakin shame-- all that low yaw aero goodness and the only airflow it sees is from a box fan.

eippo1
03-07-2018, 02:52 PM
The Fells sounds like a good place to hurt yourself! ;-)

Where is it?

Hah, it's the Middlesex Fells. A large park with lots of great trails that spans across multiple towns just outside of Boston. I live less than one minute away from one of the main trailheads. Frequently go there, but it's usually with my dog who is looking for rabbits, deer, or coyotes depending on the time of year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesex_Fells_Reservation

choke
03-07-2018, 05:18 PM
I'm contemplating this right now; I have a few bikes that seldom get ridden and I would like to have a new frame built. I suppose that if I had to pick just one it would be the Responsorium....which at one time I thought I'd never sell.

charliedid
03-07-2018, 05:25 PM
My 1991 yeti FRO, it's been ten years since last riding it. Need to find a good home for it.

I sure miss that bike.

Not sure I've owned one that goes downhill with so much ease and confidence.

Black?

charliedid
03-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Hah, it's the Middlesex Fells. A large park with lots of great trails that spans across multiple towns just outside of Boston. I live less than one minute away from one of the main trailheads. Frequently go there, but it's usually with my dog who is looking for rabbits, deer, or coyotes depending on the time of year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlesex_Fells_Reservation

My memory is terrible.

I have actually been there but I didn't have a bike. Beautiful place.

sparky33
03-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Well, Zanc is wrapping up something new for me, so maybe old Zanc would be the one to go.

Or when I decide if that new to me RSL is better or worse than my trusty CR...one of those.

Or maybe some of those kids' bikes that they outgrew...do those count? They are technically in my garage.

Or maybe I'd purge the whole lot and get the doitall-wooonder-bike. Insanity.

Hilltopperny
03-07-2018, 05:41 PM
I'm in the process of building up a couple and picking up my do it all titanium bike. I usually get bored over the winter months and buy up a bunch to build and try out for a bit.

I have two lynskey road disc bikes with the same geometry. The r240 disc is going to be on the block soon as i prefer the build on the helix sport disc. Once I pick up my drifter the 2018 Urbano frameset will probably go as well. We shall see...

Bob Ross
03-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Give up as in I'd have one fewer bikes than I currently do?
Or give up as in I now have an open slot in the bike shed that I can fill?

Clean39T
03-07-2018, 06:11 PM

I had a turquoise one from the early 90s and that was when heck of a cool bike...but I understand it’s N+1 status...

AngryScientist
03-07-2018, 06:18 PM
i've got at least a half dozen very mediocre bikes in the basement, probably more that i could jettison and not even notice.

if my feet were to the fire and i had to get ride of a bike tomorrow, it would be the tandem i bought a few years ago. if there are 10 miles under the tires - that would be a lot. what a waste of space.

taz-t
03-08-2018, 12:56 AM
Shouldn't this post be in the Classifieds?
Mods, where are you?

It was a legitimate question, not a solicitation.

But since you brought it up, I would sell.

Price (for now): One Rickenbacker 330 or 360

chiasticon
03-08-2018, 05:31 AM
I should say my Moots PsychloX, because it's basically an exact copy of my Indy Fab Planet X Ti cyclocross race bike. I mean, do I really *need* an exact copy of my race bike for a pit bike, as an amateur? but in reality, it would likely be my Moots MootoX 29er. because even though I love MTB-ing, I seem to always hurt myself doing it.

it's a total coincidence that both bikes in question are made by Moots, btw. they make incredible frames. it's just how these two sit in my bike lineup at the moment that makes them candidates for such a scenario. I'm no rush to give up either though.

Kobe
03-08-2018, 07:24 AM
My Specialized Sequoia. It's not built up this way now (It's now a townie), but that seems to be the problem. I am trying to make a purpose for it that I don't really need. Total miles over the past 2 years is less than 50.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4530/38488792456_70f18f9afe.jpg

oldpotatoe
03-08-2018, 07:56 AM
Of the 3 in the garage and 2 hanging in Vecchio's...

Moots Vamoots
Merckx MXLeader
Ciocc

Moots with 80th group
Merckx Corsa with 50th group

The Vamoots at home would have to go but thankfully, I don't gotta decide.:)

Love the ride of the Moots..rode it most of the winter but charged the battery of a EPS/MXLeader and rode it yesterday..'magical', 'sublime', 'grin producing', 'bike disappears beneath me'..type stuff. :)

bigbill
03-08-2018, 08:12 AM
I have strong attachment to my Pegoretti BLE, MX Leader, Team Shaklee GT, and the Coconino. The Ti Serotta is just a bike, no emotional attachment at all, but of all my road bikes, it's the most practical. My heart says "meh" but my brain says "it makes a great travel and rain bike because it's Ti".

I'm heading to AZ on Saturday, I believe I'm taking the Coconino Dirt Road Racer with the gravel wheels (WI XMR 32H with 35 Gravel Kings) and the road wheels (Boyd Altamont with 32mm Maxxis ReFuse) to prove out my "one bike for all" reasoning that I used when Steve and I came up with the concept for this bike. Although in hindsight, I might have been better off doing the gravel wheels in 650.

chiasticon
03-08-2018, 08:14 AM
some people keep frame pumps under the top tube. you can just shove an extra wheel in there.

charliedid
03-08-2018, 08:22 AM
My Specialized Sequoia. It's not built up this way now (It's now a townie), but that seems to be the problem. I am trying to make a purpose for it that I don't really need. Total miles over the past 2 years is less than 50.

Can you dunk?

paredown
03-08-2018, 08:23 AM
I've got two I'm on the fence about--an original Masi 3vc that needs a top tube replaced, & I'm trying to figure out if I have the energy to fully restore it...

The second is a Dean Culebra (these were the steel frames that were either made by T.E.T. (or designed by him) for Dean)--it needs a minor repair and probably new paint (powder coat has failed in spots). It's a nice 853/?? combo (large flattish down tube) that rides nice, but...

I sold three this past year and acquired one, so the trend is in the right direction.

gomango
03-08-2018, 08:27 AM
This winter I picked up a Yeti SB5 plus.

I already had a two year old SB5, but the "plus" called my name.

I was planning on bringing both to Moab/Fruita this summer, but the college costs for our boys are getting zany.

So, I just sold the original SB5 last week.

I still have a few bikes to downsize and it seems like most of my nice vintage rides are heading out the door.

Getting the boys out of college debt free is not an easy task......

wallymann
03-08-2018, 09:12 AM
7 lugged steel bikes --> merckx corsa 01 a-la molteni

http://majortaylorcycling.org/bikes/walter_merckx_corsa-os.jpg

C40_guy
03-08-2018, 09:37 AM
So most of us are guilty of the n+1 cycle...

Rather than pick the one bike you'd keep if you could only keep one...

That's easy.

Hers. :)

paredown
03-08-2018, 09:48 AM

I still have a few bikes to downsize and it seems like most of my nice vintage rides are heading out the door.

Getting the boys out of college debt free is not an easy task......

Puts you in the 'good dad' group... Then when you are a geezer, you can call in a few favours!

FlashUNC
03-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Much as it would pain me, I'd say the Pegoretti I just picked up. My other two bikes are custom, and I think it'd be easier to find another stock 58cm Peg than get another Della Santa or Rock Lobster.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4770/39751649364_1b8fdc51bf_b.jpg

pdmtong
03-08-2018, 02:05 PM
Much as it would pain me, I'd say the Pegoretti I just picked up. My other two bikes are custom, and I think it'd be easier to find another stock 58cm Peg than get another Della Santa or Rock Lobster.
similar thinking to my reply. you and I actually only have a few bikes, and each one we have we ride and we like. others here have surplus bikes, so the N-1 is easier since picking from old or un- ridden

I was in the LBS yesterday and saw a customer receive and open his birthday present from wife...ciavete respo. That was pretty great...

hollowgram5
03-08-2018, 04:06 PM
I actually have a few that I could part with if I truly needed to. (I know I know, question was which one..)

http://i.imgur.com/GH4PKWAl.jpg https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697896079&stc=1&d=1425158180 http://i.imgur.com/Qzp4SlSl.jpg
The Tommasini (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=200726)is a little bit small, so its not an ideal fit for a forever bike. The Green CAAD9 (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=164201) is great, but its pretty much a duplicate of my SystemSix Barloworld rep frameset. The Richman MAX (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=165470) frame could go as well.

That would still leave me with the Salsa Vaya Travel, TwinSix RandoTi, Koga Miyata MAX, Holland ISOGrid, and the Taurine hardtail (which could probably go as well).

jtbadge
03-08-2018, 04:09 PM
That green CAAD rules.

hollowgram5
03-08-2018, 04:17 PM
That green CAAD rules.Yup, it lives in San Diego in a friend's garage so I don't need to ship one when I travel there.

It was great when I put it side by side with this one and it was built...

https://i.imgur.com/vX50v37l.jpg

parris
03-08-2018, 06:25 PM
My Roubaix. It's a good bike but is different enogh in handling/feel that i don't ride it that often. Second to go will be my RB-1 only because the top tube is long for me but it was too good a deal to pass up😎

gomango
03-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Puts you in the 'good dad' group... Then when you are a geezer, you can call in a few favours!

Heh thanks!

I'm nearing retirement, so we'll see what happens down the line. :)