PDA

View Full Version : Bike Makes and Models Compared To Price and Weight

duncanknudsen
03-07-2018, 12:53 AM
I'm looking for a spreadsheet that compares different bike makes, models, and components to their price and weight. Youtube has a couple youtube videos by Bikotic that do a pretty thorough comparison job. But has anyone made a master spreadsheet?

Kontact
03-07-2018, 01:24 AM
I've heard people trying to do things like that, but considering that every size is a different weight and the bike companies rarely publish even one weight for a model, who is going to get those numbers?

charliedid
03-07-2018, 07:20 AM
Sounds a lot like work. What's the purpose if I may inquire?

Tickdoc
03-07-2018, 07:42 AM
pre-internet I used to hate when bike publications wouldn't post weights of bikes they tested.

Now I loathe it when they do, just because there are so many build option variables that make it impossible to compare based on weight alone.

Not to mention that the weight is only one factor towards the overall bike...but that is a whole nuther discussion.

MattTuck
03-07-2018, 07:52 AM
This would be a fun citizen science project. Have a bunch of people go into bike shops near them with a luggage scale and weigh bikes.

I work with the author of this paper: https://hbr.org/2007/11/mapping-your-competitive-position

This sounds like it would a neat application of Price/Benefit mapping. If you go ahead and do it, let me know, maybe I'd write a case study about it.

GregL
03-07-2018, 08:16 AM
When the Australian magazine Ride Cycling Review (http://www.ridemedia.com.au/) still published a hardcopy edition, they weighed every single part of the bikes they reviewed. It was interesting to see how close the actual weights were to the manufacturer's claimed weights. Other than that magazine, I don't know of any good sources for the data.

Greg

Spaghetti Legs
03-07-2018, 08:22 AM
Well there's Weight Weenies

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadframes

Tony
03-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Some bike weights

https://plus.google.com/photos/107709068384636814318/albums/5931392224435650145

duncanknudsen
03-07-2018, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the responses!

The reason for my interest is when you look at high end bikes coming from manufacturers that support professional cycling teams like Canyon, Trek, Giant, Cervelo, Specialized, BMC, Scott, and Pinarello. Arguably all of these manufacturers make solid race bikes that are heavily used in pro racing. But as a somewhat frugal N+1 private buyer I've noticed diminishing returns with price vs. weight as you go up in price of one manufacturer. And huge differences in price vs. weight across different manufacturers. You can spend 15k the lightest nicest Pinarello or you can spend 10k for Canyon that has comparable stats. I'd love to see something where you can find the price vs. weight sweet spot within one manufacturer but also across all of the pro peloton manufacturers.

I'll do some more research, maybe I'll muster the energy to throw something together.

cadence90
03-07-2018, 07:33 PM
It used to be that a good cost/weight ratio was considered to be $1/gram.
When it moved past $2/gram, I found that I was completely OK with having more weight in my money rather than less weight on my bicycle.

A comprehensive, constantly current list such as what the OP is asking about will likely never exist. If it were to exist, I would question the sanity of the writers. There have to be better ways to spend one's time and money....

kramnnim
03-07-2018, 09:51 PM
The pros have to stay over the UCI limit, higher cost doesn't always mean lower weight...

cachagua
03-08-2018, 12:12 AM
Impossible to compare based on weight alone...

And also impossible to compare based on price, because when was the last time anyone paid MSRP (or any published price) for a bike? Always there are a few things you switch or add on, and a few things they comp you, then if you buy locally you may pay sales tax and if you buy long distance you may not, et cetera, et cetera... and next season, or next month, it'll all have changed.

Best-case, even if you could get reliable information -- would it be useful for anything but satisfying your curiosity? Would you really choose which bike to buy on the basis of that kind of calculation? (I can't speak for anyone besides myself, but cost-effectiveness is about the last thing on my mind when a bike strikes my fancy!)

Sounds like an awful long run for a short slide.

jlwdm
03-08-2018, 04:23 PM
It is sad to see how much focus is put on bike weight for some people. I feel sorry for the pros who have to ride heavier bikes than us amateurs.

Jeff

mtechnica
03-08-2018, 05:20 PM
If one cares about weight enough to seek this type of information then it doesn’t really make sense to look at stock bikes when even a $3000 carbon bike can come with $200 wheels.