PDA

View Full Version : Mexican food

shinomaster
10-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Boy, I just love the Mexican food. I'm eating it right now...I have a race at 10:00 am tomorrow. I'm also drinking a Spaten Optimator... Should I be carbo loading more? It is a short race after all..How many carbs and calories are in one hefty bottle of Optimator? Should I guzzle a gatoraid after my meal? How many calories will I burn in a 45 minute cross race?

Kevan
10-07-2006, 10:13 PM
I love Mexican food. Funny to experience the differences with restaurants here in the NY area and those I visit when I'm out in San Diego/L.A. area. Both are good, but there's no doubting which is more authentic.

One of our favorite things to do here at home with leftovers is to reheat let's say a thick slice of burrito and plop a poached egg on top. Huevos ranchos.

Areeba areeba, undalay undalay!

shinomaster
10-07-2006, 10:19 PM
I was with you there untill you busted out with the stinky egg.... :no:

Kevan
10-07-2006, 10:21 PM
your dead body, eh?

Sorry.

shinomaster
10-07-2006, 11:16 PM
yep... :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight: :fight:

pdxmech13
10-08-2006, 12:06 AM
german malt liquer.
floyd said whiskey rite ?

BoulderGeek
10-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Just got back from seven days living on the beach in Mazatlan.

I love Mexican food, too. But I am really going to be happy taking a break for a few days.

Absolutely awesome fresh bluefin tuna, mahi mahi and shrimp down there, however.

Right now, I'm with Paul Dooley in Breaking Away: "I want some American food, dammit! I want French fries!"

I really missed riding, though. Also went from 92 and sunny to 45 and dark in 12 hours.

If you do the huevos before your race, I'm sure you'll clear out some of your competitors when the digestion kicks in. :-P

97CSI
10-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Mmmmmmm.....my favorite cuisine. Stuck here in the mid-Atlantic region we get a lousy excuse for Mexican food. The best one is very average and the worst is edible, but doesn't taste like Mexican to me. Like most of the food we get in this part of the world, too much frufru and not enough substance and heat. Dinner at McCormack and Schmidt on 52nd Street yesterday reminded me again of how much I miss the good food out west. Grilled halibut. Delicious. Definitely what I miss the most about living here in the east. Ah, well. The things we men do for domestic tranquillity.

victoryfactory
10-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Just got back from a cross country trip. Had the best Mexican food
EVER at a little place off I-70 in Seiver Utah.This place didn't even have a name, the
sign just said "Mexican food" It was next to a gas station near the exit.
I knew I was in for something special when I walked in the door. Sitting at the cash
register was a 10 year old girl who was too shy to talk.
Then mom came out and led me in to the dining room, which was full of local cowboy types.
Welp, as I watched that lady carry each dish out from the kitchen (followed
by three kids carrying the placemats) I knew this was "it"
The chilles rellenos were awesome.
I love traveling, I hope someone is discovering that place for themselves
as I write this.

VF

bcm119
10-08-2006, 06:19 PM
So how'd the race go? Did the mexican food give you extra propulsion?

I like the Optimator, but my favorite doppelbock is the Celebrator, by a longshot. As the name implies though, its probably a better post-race source of carbos!

shinomaster
10-08-2006, 07:36 PM
I think it all gave me an upset tummy this morning....that plus all the gatoraid.
RAce was ok...I got 20th...yahoo..are you racing bcm bro?

bcm119
10-08-2006, 08:58 PM
No cross for me dude. I was burned out by august and took sept. off. I'm in basic training mode now, gym and long joy rides. Looking forward to spring rr season.

Maybe I'll try cross next year, but it would take me a while to find mtn bike shoes and pedals that would work- I have effed up feet. I'm one of those geeks that rides in the woods with Look pedals.

shinomaster
10-08-2006, 09:01 PM
No cross for me dude. I was burned out by august and took sept. off. I'm in basic training mode now, gym and long joy rides. Looking forward to spring rr season.

Maybe I'll try cross next year, but it would take me a while to find mtn bike shoes and pedals that would work- I have effed up feet. I'm one of those geeks that rides in the woods with Look pedals.

I hear you...I have effed up feet too...I'm using my mt. shoes on the road because I broke my 10 year old shimano carbon shoes and can't find a new pair that doesn't hurt my feet...alas..

Ginger
10-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Mmmm Mexican food. We have several sorts around here.

There's the chain stuff like Baja Fresh and my favorite ZUMBA! Quick and good.

Then there's the semi-local chains, branches of the long time restaurants in Mexican Village in Detroit. Accessible, more tex-mex than mexican. Lots of cheese.

Then there's the family mexican restaurants. Sort-of homemade mexican food (I grew up with sons and daughters of migrant workers...this is the food I remember from their homes.). Potatoes in the tacos stuff. Mom is cooking in the kitchen, kids are helping bus the tables, the two year old is playing peek-a-boo with you over the back of the next booth, dining room is full of the sound of Spanglish. Food is fresh and mmm good.

Then there's the little taquerias in Pontiac. Fresh thick corn tortillas, barbacao, goat, pork, tripe. *Real* Gorditas. You'd better know what you want 'cause nobody in the place speaks English. $4 for a big ole plate of artery clogging goodness. mmmmmmm.

shinomaster
10-08-2006, 09:54 PM
If you walk into a place, and it smells funky (like white people aren't cooking the stuff) it's probably good.

Ginger
10-08-2006, 09:55 PM
I dunno...a couple of those little taquerias are the cleanest restaurants I know of. I think the health department is extra hard on them just because of what they are.

The Mexican mafia places? Yeah...I agree on those.

shinomaster
10-08-2006, 10:00 PM
I dunno...a couple of those little taquerias are the cleanest restaurants I know of. I think the health department is extra hard on them just because of what they are.

The Mexican mafia places? Yeah...I agree on those.

I don't mean dirty, I just mean foriegn smells to our refined American noses..
I lived on top of a Puerto Rican family on Mission Hill in Boston for a year, and wow. That woman, Mrs. Delgado coocked some really funky *** food. It smelled up the whole building like fried greasy gamey meat or Chalupas or God knows what..I bet that shiit tasted good though. Her beans and rice would tear me up.

victoryfactory
10-09-2006, 07:41 AM
When you order "Mexican" food in New Mexico
They always say:
"red or green"

VF

Birddog
10-09-2006, 09:06 AM
VF has hit on a couple of very good points. The "undiscovered" places are too infrequent and are to be treasured when found. In NM it IS almost always red or green, and if you are very lucky, you will get NEW MEXICAN food which is subtley different than most other varieties. In NM, they feature Green Chiles, not Jalapeno's, Poblanos or Habaneros. The proper Chile Relleno will be made with a Hatch grown green chile not a Poblano, and there is a huge difference. A good way to judge a Mexican restaurant's credentials is to find out if they outsource their Tamales and/or Chiles Rellenos. If they are not made on sight, then the place is immediately suspect. If they tell you that the tamales are made by some little old lady in the neighborhood, that's OK and is not considered as outsourcing per se. Proper Tamales are made from pork, and Chiles Rellenos should be cheese filled, not beef. Just about anybody can make a decent Enchilada after a little practice. Another clue about the kitchen and the cook is whether they use those GD preformed corn tortilla taco shells. It is rare to find a place that actually uses a soft corn tortilla lightly fried on the premises to make a taco, but it is worth it when you do.

Birddog