PDA

View Full Version : Rattle in Record shifter

rousseau
03-06-2018, 12:17 AM
Got a rattle in my right 2004–06 Campagnolo Record 10-speed shifter going over rough asphalt that stops when I grasp the hood.

Any ideas what it could be?

bicimechanic
03-06-2018, 05:35 AM
I'm thinking the rubber stop between the shift lever and brake lever is missing. Check and see if there is a little empty hole there.

terry
03-06-2018, 05:56 AM
I figured out my rattle when I realized the brake cable was slack after using the brake. The lever stayed loose because the brake caliper didn’t return to its normal setting. Turns out the caliper was seizing/freezing and was ruined-my rain/winter bike. New calipers was the only solution-liquid wrench and oil didn’t help.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2018, 07:03 AM
Got a rattle in my right 2004–06 Campagnolo Record 10-speed shifter going over rough asphalt that stops when I grasp the hood.

Any ideas what it could be?

Either the little rubber tit between the brake lever and shift lever is missing(I have them) or the brake housing isn't seated n the lever..little bit of brake lever play before brake actuated? NO BRAKE FERRULE in the lever I hope.

Spaghetti Legs
03-06-2018, 07:08 AM
My 8 speed Record Ergos rattle on an otherwise smooth as silk De Rosa Professional. Drove me bonkers yesterday!

cmg
03-06-2018, 01:09 PM
it's the quick release button on the shifter, the little button that allows for quick release (spreading brake calipers) of the wheel. Make sure you press it closed all the way.

rousseau
03-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. I've got the rubber stop between the brake and shift lever, and no, no ferrule on the housing inside the shifter. I just checked the caliper and it seems to be moving freely, as far as I can tell.

The fact that the rattle stops when I grasp the hood suggests that it's something inside the shifter mechanism. Doesn't it?

I think I'm going to loosen the brake cable and tug it as tight as possible before tightening it up again to see if that does the trick, as I suspect the round head at the end of the cable is just slightly loose enough to be knocking against the bar it is supposed to be nestled in (suggesting that the caliper isn't returning to its neutral position, actually--I ride through the winter and barely touch the brakes, so there must be gunk caught up between the moving parts of the caliper).