PDA

View Full Version : Ankle pain

shoota
03-05-2018, 09:33 AM
So last night/today something happened that hasn't ever happened before. My ankle is killing me. I didn't change anything regarding the bike or fit or equipment but I did do ALOT more volume last week than I've done in a while. I'm guessing it's an overuse injury. Anyone have any experience with this? I like to self diagnose and learn all I can, it's just the way I am. What should I start researching?

macaroon
03-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Whereabouts in your ankle is the pain?

FlashUNC
03-05-2018, 09:54 AM
What should I start researching?

The phone number for a doctor.

shoota
03-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Whereabouts in your ankle is the pain?

It feels deep inside, not necessarily on either side, and slightly above the ankle bone.

andeww
03-05-2018, 10:26 AM
possible worn cleats and your foot is moving laterally? Also, it may affect you more now as you mentioned you put in more miles

shoota
03-05-2018, 10:48 AM
possible worn cleats and your foot is moving laterally? Also, it may affect you more now as you mentioned you put in more miles

The pedals had crossed my mind. I will take a look at them later today, thanks.

zennmotion
03-05-2018, 11:13 AM
My ankles are very weak and prone to injury, sometimes without an easy explanation of overuse that I can identify- my days of ankle injuries from soccer and trail running took their toll on an already weak area. I'm not super confident of my GP doctor, but she basically shrugs and asks if I want an Xray (no, just advice and explanation since she also said there's little to be done beyond common sense- ice, rest, compression) I do know that I made an already sore ankle worse with tight delta-style road cleats- not from lack of float but from the force required to unclip. I mostly ride Crank Bros both on and off-road, partially for the ease of unclipping, plus I see little performance advantage in road pedals since my days of pedaling in anger (at least on the road) are in my rearview mirror. But... elevation, ice, compression, rest, time, NSAIDS. I'm guessing your doc will pretty much say the same thing.

shoota
03-05-2018, 11:20 AM
My ankles are very weak and prone to injury, sometimes without an easy explanation of overuse that I can identify- my days of ankle injuries from soccer and trail running took their toll on an already weak area. I'm not super confident of my GP doctor, but she basically shrugs and asks if I want an Xray (no, just advice and explanation since she also said there's little to be done beyond common sense- ice, rest, compression) I do know that I made an already sore ankle worse with tight delta-style road cleats- not from lack of float but from the force required to unclip. I mostly ride Crank Bros both on and off-road, partially for the ease of unclipping, plus I see little performance advantage in road pedals since my days of pedaling in anger (at least on the road) are in my rearview mirror. But... elevation, ice, compression, rest, time, NSAIDS. I'm guessing your doc will pretty much say the same thing.

I'm guessing you're right, and I'm already doing those things. The difference is that I've never had a problem with my ankles before so this has me curious. My knee on the same leg has been sore for almost two months now too. That is also something new. It seems strange to have these both happen on the same leg at the same time, with no apparent reason for either to happen..