PDA

View Full Version : 6bolt vs. center lock

jinbok
03-04-2018, 09:11 PM
I'm building up a gravel bike with 650b wheelset,
never used disc before so I need some help..

Thanks!

dustyrider
03-04-2018, 09:15 PM
Some like centerlock some like bolt on. I have always avoided centerlock. A torx driver is easy to come up with.

CMiller
03-04-2018, 09:22 PM
1. I like Shimano rotors that only come in CLD
2. I hate installing the tiny torx bolts, I like CLD installation and removal, so easy, but it does require a lockring tool (same as Cassette)
3. I can use an adapter for 6-bolt, but can't do the other way around
4. I think it looks cleaner
5. They both work absolutely fine!

p nut
03-04-2018, 09:22 PM
All my bikes are 6 bolt. But I wish they were all centerlock.

.RJ
03-04-2018, 09:59 PM
1. I like Shimano rotors that only come in CLD
2. I hate installing the tiny torx bolts, I like CLD installation and removal, so easy, but it does require a lockring tool (same as Cassette)
3. I can use an adapter for 6-bolt, but can't do the other way around
4. I think it looks cleaner
5. They both work absolutely fine!

All of this x100

The best thing that has come out of road/cx disc is the widespread adoption of centerlock rotors.

Tony
03-04-2018, 10:20 PM
I have both, prefer center lock.

jtakeda
03-04-2018, 10:24 PM
I also have both and prefer center lock.

But if I were offered both options and 6 bolt was way cheaper I’d take the 6 bolt

MaraudingWalrus
03-04-2018, 10:25 PM
Worth noting that not all centerlock are same as cassette. If you've got through axles you may have one that's the same as a shimano BB tool. About 50% of the 12mm through axle are cassette, 50% BB. Anything bigger than 12mm through axle is the BB.

Centerlock makes swapping wheels much easier if you're moving the rotors over as it simply takes less time.

jinbok
03-04-2018, 11:01 PM
thanks guys :banana::banana::banana:

andrewsuzuki
03-04-2018, 11:03 PM

likebikes
03-05-2018, 12:28 AM
centerlock 4 lyfe

Hilltopperny
03-05-2018, 05:42 AM
Throw my name in the hat for centerlock as well. Cleaner look and easier install. For reference I do have bikes with both.

marciero
03-05-2018, 05:48 AM
Another argument I've seen for CL, or rather against 6-bolt, is that on the latter the braking force appears as a shearing force at the bolts. Bolts, being fasteners, are not designed for this kind of load. I don't think this is completely true though. I would guess that much of the braking load is taken up by the friction between the rotor and the hub.

R3awak3n
03-05-2018, 06:05 AM
I have 6 bolt and never used centerlock but I think I woukd like CL. 6 bolt has been fine, once it goes in, its there till you take it out, no problems.

I do like shimano rotors and some of the nicer ones only exist in CL.

tigoat
03-05-2018, 06:29 AM
It is based on the hub type so if you are buying/building a new wheel then it is no brainer to go with a centerlock style, as Shimano only makes Dura Ace (a gold standard) road specific rotors in CL.

John H.
03-05-2018, 11:43 AM
What component group?

I generally prefer centerlock- Especially with Shimano as their top end rotors are a centerlock.

SRAM seems to make their high end rotors in both 6 bolt and centerlock.

bigbill
03-05-2018, 12:53 PM
I've got wheelsets with each. The six bolt was easy, at least I thought it was until I got the CL wheelset. CL is easier. One advantage of CL is the ease of shimming if you have multiple wheelsets with differing hub manufacturers. If you have to shim a 6 bolt, you remove and install 6 bolts, so I set up my brakes to the 6 bolt hubs and shimmed the rear CL wheel .25mm to make for an easy swap.

srsoltis
03-05-2018, 01:26 PM
One advantage of CL is the ease of shimming if you have multiple wheelsets with differing hub manufacturers.

What do you use to shim CL? I haven't had luck finding something that fits. A point in the right direction would be most appreciated.

likebikes
03-05-2018, 01:28 PM
What do you use to shim CL? I haven't had luck finding something that fits. A point in the right direction would be most appreciated.

https://www.google.com/search?q=centerlock+rotor+shim&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS724US724&oq=cneterlock+rotor+sh&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.3704j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

bigbill
03-05-2018, 02:12 PM

I bought the pack from November. Four, .25mm shims for $13 shipped. It on the link above.

srsoltis
03-05-2018, 02:23 PM
I bought the pack from November. Four, .25mm shims for $13 shipped. It on the link above.

Thanks, Likebikes and Bigbill! This is exactly what I need.

Hakkalugi
03-05-2018, 02:31 PM
I have both 6-boot and centerlock. I never gave them a thought until we took a family trip with 3 disc road bikes. I took the rotors off for packing, which was a breeze at home with a driver drill. In the hotel, putting rotors back on was the slowest, most tedious part of reassembling the bikes. Next trip will be all centerlock.

Beyond that, I can’t feel a difference while riding.

Special K
03-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Two bikes with discs, and I like centerlock. Recently picked up a Cannondale Slate. The front with the Lefty fork is 6 bolt and the rear is centerlock. It isn't as easy as I thought to find good matching rotors with one being 6 bolt and the other centerlock. Any suggestions?

denapista
03-05-2018, 08:47 PM
Shimano ICE rotors are some of the best rotors that you can buy. Most companies (Ashima, etc) make 6 bolt though. 6 bolt rotors are light and really easy to remove without carrying a lockring CLD with you.

I went through the same process, but in the end it came down to the hubs you choose. I went with Carbon Ti (Boost spacing), and they're only available with 6 bolt.

If you do go with a Centerlock hub and want the bling 6 bolt rotors, you can buy the Centerlock to 6 bolt adapter... If you go 6 bolt, you can't run Centerlock rotors (Shimano ICE).

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/efwAAOSwT6pVslDJ/s-l300.jpg

PacNW2Ford
03-05-2018, 10:22 PM
Another argument I've seen for CL, or rather against 6-bolt, is that on the latter the braking force appears as a shearing force at the bolts. Bolts, being fasteners, are not designed for this kind of load. I don't think this is completely true though. I would guess that much of the braking load is taken up by the friction between the rotor and the hub.

Not close to "completely true". Many, many bolted applications use bolts in shear, like steel bridges.

marciero
03-06-2018, 04:20 AM
Not close to "completely true". Many, many bolted applications use bolts in shear, like steel bridges.

I stand corrected about bolt design. But what I was referring to as "completely true" is the part about how the braking force/load is borne-how much is friction and how much is shear.

PacNW2Ford
03-06-2018, 11:33 PM
Good question. I would guess that they act as pin-drive with braking forces acting on the bolt shanks.

moobikes
03-07-2018, 03:43 AM
If the bolts are correctly tightened the braking loads are transferred to the hub barrel. The bolts should not be taking up any shear forces. That's why the bolts on cars and trucks are so effing tight. Those bolts will fail if the lug nuts or rotor bolts are loose.

I stand corrected about bolt design. But what I was referring to as "completely true" is the part about how the braking force/load is borne-how much is friction and how much is shear.

EricEstlund
03-07-2018, 08:09 AM
I'm mostly indifferent, but if a hub is offered in both I usually go Centerlock.

Now, for a travel bike, Centerlock is much less frustrating while putting rotors on or off in a hotel room.