PDA

View Full Version : Options for Silver Bars/Stem/Post

Clancy
03-04-2018, 10:31 AM
I’d like to build up a frame I just picked-up with silver bars, stem, and seatpost. I’ve always used Ritchey, the alloy WCS series, because it’s cool stuff, good prices and low weights relative to the price and it’s stuff designed by Tom Ritchey who I’ve always admired.

I was looking at what’s available from Ritchey and it’s the Classic series. Everything looks great but I’m having a hard time swallowing the weight on the bars - 301g. And although I’m no weight weenie, that’s a pretty heavy bar. The Black WCS bar in alloy comes in at 250g. There’s also a weight difference between the WCS alloypost and the Classic although it’s minimal.

So with all that said, what are the other options? Only other one I found is Soma but they do not list weights and I’d guess they’re as heavy if not heavier.

Building up a beautiful Ottrott I just picked up. It cries out for silver components.

mtechnica
03-04-2018, 10:42 AM
Pro (shimano) had silver stems and bars under the PLT line a few years back. I have the handlebars, they are decently good and probably 250g or less. Quick look makes it seem like they're gonna be hard to find now.

Thomson stem and seatpost. IME avoid the X2 stem, I had one and threw it in the garbage instead of selling it because no matter what I did, it would slip and/or creak. Poor design. Their posts are nice but the setback one is only 16mm setback and the looks aren't for everyone.

Final option I know of is going with 26mm handlebars.

Mzilliox
03-04-2018, 10:47 AM
custom stem for 26 bars and compass, velo orange, or nitto bars.
Maybe compass or velo orange make stems for 1 1/8th steerer and 26.0 bars? someone was just selling a set of compass bars for 31.8 here the other day though.
Problem is many of the silver parts are "retro" and don't seem to care much about weight reduction.

or you are gonna tape the bars and hold onto them, so just use your favorite bar to ride, and do the rest in silver.

mtechnica
03-04-2018, 10:52 AM
If you want 26mm bars, the old 3TTT stuff is probably the best and lightest. Nitto is super expensive and it's heavy.

edit: a 42cm set of 3TTT bars from the 80s weighs 265g according to my scale

R3awak3n
03-04-2018, 10:59 AM
I’d like to build up a frame I just picked-up with silver bars, stem, and seatpost. I’ve always used Ritchey, the alloy WCS series, because it’s cool stuff, good prices and low weights relative to the price and it’s stuff designed by Tom Ritchey who I’ve always admired.

I was looking at what’s available from Ritchey and it’s the Classic series. Everything looks great but I’m having a hard time swallowing the weight on the bars - 301g. And although I’m no weight weenie, that’s a pretty heavy bar. The Black WCS bar in alloy comes in at 250g. There’s also a weight difference between the WCS alloypost and the Classic although it’s minimal.

So with all that said, what are the other options? Only other one I found is Soma but they do not list weights and I’d guess they’re as heavy if not heavier.

Building up a beautiful Ottrott I just picked up. It cries out for silver components.

the soma HWY 1 bars are probably bout 300g as well. They are nice bars. Nitto also makes nice bars, probably a little lighter than the ritcheys.

I dunno, I don't think 50g is a lot and would probably just get the ritchey classic.

Clean39T
03-04-2018, 11:33 AM
the soma HWY 1 bars are probably bout 300g as well. They are nice bars. Nitto also makes nice bars, probably a little lighter than the ritcheys.

I dunno, I don't think 50g is a lot and would probably just get the ritchey classic.

The heat-treated Nitto stuff is lighter too. And the S-83 post in 250mm isn't heavy by any means..

Check out PlanetX Bike in the UK for good prices on Nitto.

They charge shipping, but if you are putting in a decent size order, it ends up being worth it - check out their bargains and clearance section.

macaroon
03-04-2018, 12:46 PM
Nitto S83 seatpost is lush, I weighed mine at approx 300g (think it might've been 301g) for a 300mm one.

Deda RS01 is another option but it's another 300g post.

If you want lightweight, then your best option might be something like a Fizik Cyrano/Cannondale C1/Deda Zero 100 and removing the anodizing and polishing it up (have seen this done and it looks good), or getting it reanodized polished.

Most alloy bars are around the 300g mark, unless you get some super compact, narrow ones.

As above, Pro did a polished version of the PLT which you can sometimes find on ebay. Make sure it is the polished one, as they also did an ice grey model which looks similar in photos. Would otheriwse go for Nitto.

mhespenheide
03-04-2018, 01:27 PM
As mtechnica pointed out above, the 3TTT in 26.0mm clamp size are quite light -- like 220g for some. You could use a shim to get down to that size (but then there's the weight of the shim...)

You can always try eBay with the "silver" option checked.

Look585
03-04-2018, 01:31 PM
The Pro XLT is a very serviceable stem for $30 if you need a 110mm.

(The logos come off in seconds with acetone and a rag.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192442812263

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTUyWDE2MDA=/z/HnwAAOSwWEZacUWL/$_1.JPG

jtakeda
03-04-2018, 01:31 PM
I have 2 ritchey posts FS if you decide to go that route

Ianus
03-04-2018, 01:35 PM
Tune, Thomson, Ritchey.......

And for the seatpost, i would prefer ti....

FlashUNC
03-04-2018, 02:11 PM
Deda Speciale in 26.0 if you're going that route.

choke
03-04-2018, 04:33 PM
50g is less than 2 ounces....that's not much in the grand scheme of things.

.RJ
03-04-2018, 04:33 PM
Pro (shimano) had silver stems and bars under the PLT line a few years back

that was more like a darker silverish grey, than a classic silver.

Bontrager has started doing it too but its for their city bikes - probably going to be on the heavier side.

macaroon
03-04-2018, 04:47 PM
that was more like a darker silverish grey, than a classic silver.

Bontrager has started doing it too but its for their city bikes - probably going to be on the heavier side.

Pro did both polished silver and ice grey.

.RJ
03-04-2018, 05:05 PM
didnt know that - thanks :)

zzy
03-04-2018, 05:22 PM
1st gen Ritchey Classic components are really great, and match most polished alu (like CK) perfectly.

cadence90
03-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Deda Speciale in 26.0 if you're going that route.
It was also available in 31.8mm, but hard to find now I think.

OP: I never bothered to weigh it all, but I sold a complete Deda HPS (High Polish Silver) NIB set here last year or so. It is really gorgeous stuff; the finish was perfect. Maybe you can still find bits some on eBay, etc.

The components were, if you will be looking:
Deda HPS "Metal Stick" seatpost, 27.2mm.
Deda HPS "Quattro" stem, 31.8mm.
Deda HPS "Speciale" handlebar, 31.8mm.

jtbadge
03-04-2018, 10:26 PM
(Shameless plug - have a bunch of silver parts for sale here (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2221384&postcount=1))

Sure, the Ritchey bars are slightly heavier than top of the line alloy stuff. That said, weight is on par with popular 31.8 bars like the Salsa Cowbell, Zipp Service Course, etc. And the Ritchey (Neo)Classic is the best bend in handlebars right now.

Nitto makes the nicest looking silver finished parts, including for other brands like Sim-Works and Fairweather. They have numerous handlebar shapes in 31.8 and 26.0.

You might like the Sim-Works Misirlou if you are used to a compact bend, but I think they're heavier (350g-ish)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1154/0334/products/misirlou_slv_900_2048x.jpg?v=1519425708

Thomson X2s are fine if you use carbon paste when assembling. I weigh well over 200 and don't have a problem.

If you're trying to save weight with silver components, the post is an easy way to do it. Thomson Masterpiece and the Shimano Dura-Ace SP-7410 are both sub-200g.