PDA

View Full Version : It's official -- no more USPS

Keith A
04-23-2004, 01:44 PM
Just saw this on CyclingNews.com...

"Unfortunately for US Postal-Berry Floor fans, this Tour de Georgia will be the first and last time that Lance will be racing here in a USPS jersey. A few months ago, there were rumours alluding to the US Postal Service pulling out its sponsorship at the end of the year, and this was confirmed by USPS spokesman Gerry McKiernan today. The Postal Service has decided to go "in another direction" with its marketing plan according to McKeirnan, after eight years of sponsorship. On the other hand, it's highly likely that a new sponsor will step in to fill the breach, and presenting sponsor Berry Floor has already indicated that it will increase its commitment. According to our sources in Berry Floor, the presence of the best known cyclist in the world meant that Berry Floor more than doubled its turnover in 2003, the first year of sponsorship of the USPS team."

MartyE
04-23-2004, 01:49 PM
I wonder if Nike will step up, they are a huge corporation and
already are partial sponsors.

Marty

flydhest
04-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know what the "Presenting Sponsor" status means?

As in USPS presented by Berry Floor as opposed to some of the other teams, say Quick Step-Davitamon, which just seem to have two sponsors.

I'm just clueless and curious

Climb01742
04-23-2004, 02:00 PM
i think its like in the film biz. where you have like 12 people listed as "executive producer" and 18 listed as "producer". it's a way of establishing a pecking order. us postal was #1, title sponsor. "presnted by" told folks that berry floor was was the #2 sponsor. ahead of AMD, visa, trek, nike, etc.

Keith A
04-23-2004, 02:14 PM
To add what climb has stated. I believe the teams that have two (or more) names, like Landbouwkrediet-Colnago, would be ones that the title sponsors share a mostly equal economic investment, whether this is in cash or goods.

flydhest
04-23-2004, 02:31 PM
presented by is "second, but big" then, I assume? For instance, there are other sponsor logos on the USPS jersey, but they don't get a mention.

Interesting . . . I wonder where the cut off is. 60/40 might still be co-sponsor, but 70/30 is "presented by" . . .

The things one ponders when work is dull.

Kevan
04-23-2004, 02:47 PM
what say we chip in and buy a piece of the action.

Look we've got the talent right here amongst us, we could save a small fortune clearing out some of the current deadwood. We've got racer, coach, fitter, builder, and even for Sandy, groupie wannabee positions available.

Since it was my idea I get to ride shotgun in the teamcar as we traipse our way around France. Pete, we'll be needing that car of yours. Any problems welding a 12 bike rack system to your car's roof? :D

Kevan
04-23-2004, 02:48 PM
he'd know.

dirtdigger88
04-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Lets start a fund, if we all just throw in our lunch money, the stars that we love so much can continue to amaze us with their cycling abilites... aw what am I saying, let just go for a ride and pretend we are posties.

Jason

Climb01742
04-23-2004, 03:36 PM
you don't already pretend you're a postie? oops, did i say that out loud?

dirtdigger88
04-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Well, yes I do. Funny story here. There was a lower member of the postie team at a local race the other weekend. The next day, on the local web site someone was dogging the rider for being a pouser by wearing the USPS uniform. Hey dummy, that was a real postie.

Jason

Ozz
04-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Well, yes I do. Funny story here. There was a lower member of the postie team at a local race the other weekend. The next day, on the local web site someone was dogging the rider for being a pouser by wearing the USPS uniform. Hey dummy, that was a real postie.

Jason

That's funny!!! :D

Kevin
04-23-2004, 07:29 PM
In exchange for a date with Ms. Crow, you can put me down for 1 bike for the new team. It will of course be a Serotta.

Kevin

dbrk
04-24-2004, 05:46 AM
Here's the link to the sponsorship issue on the BBC's website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/3654921.stm

So long as Lance rides and his profile continues to increase then someone, yes, even an American company, will support this team. One of the things I still like about pro cycling (not that much anymore but for traditions and history) is that corporate media culture in America has yet to get its nasty mitts on it. I am sure it would make riders richer to have more American money and commercial recognition but then it would end up like the other "major" sports and, gosh, that stuff I find so distasteful that I no longer watch or care at all. Well, maybe a little baseball now and then but very little. I can't quite put my finger on what I find so wrong but the media and money lend a lubricity I cannot abide.

I wish Lance tons of luck. You need more than victories, money, and even cancer survival to be happy in this life, no doubt.

dbrk