PDA

View Full Version : Rim and Spokes ID

YesNdeed
03-03-2018, 02:03 PM
I just picked up a set of wheels from my local Craigslist, and the head guy at my LBS says he thinks they could be de-badged Stan's Alphas, if they're not Velocity. I can't really tell by comparing to pictures. They measure to 18.9mm external width, internal nipples...24/28, if that matters. I didn't pull off the Velox cloth tape, but there is no apparent identifying info.
No idea what spokes might have that stamp on the ends...
Just curious if it's obvious to any of you.
Thanks
:help:

AngryScientist
03-03-2018, 02:10 PM
i've never seen a stans alpha rim with internal nipples. actually, i think internal nipples are one of the stupidest design features ever. they are even dumber for tubular rims.

no idea what those might be, but they're some nice hubs (the rear one anyway!)!

edit: i just re-looked at the picture. those are DT spokes. i dont know what front hub that is either, could be some generic sealed bearing hub.

AngryScientist
03-03-2018, 02:18 PM
double edit:

i dont think radial lacing on the NDS of that Record hub is a good idea.

if that is a 28h record hub, it's a very good one, and a rare, sought after part. that's the gem of the package you purchased, by far.

YesNdeed
03-03-2018, 02:23 PM
i've never seen a stans alpha rim with internal nipples. actually, i think internal nipples are one of the stupidest design features ever. they are even dumber for tubular rims.

no idea what those might be, but they're some nice hubs (the rear one anyway!)!

edit: i just re-looked at the picture. those are DT spokes. i dont know what front hub that is either, could be some generic sealed bearing hub.

The front is a Nimble Spider. I don't think they are made anymore, but it weighs in at 65g, I believe. Any info on that hub is also appreciated.

Not crazy about the internal spoking, but the price I paid MORE than makes up for that flaw.

I tried to upload another pic, but I'm having trouble.

YesNdeed
03-03-2018, 02:28 PM
double edit:

i dont think radial lacing on the NDS of that Record hub is a good idea.

if that is a 28h record hub, it's a very good one, and a rare, sought after part. that's the gem of the package you purchased, by far.

I may have them re-spoked, rimmed, or I may sell them.

The package also came with two unused Veloflex Open Paves & tubes, a barely used Campy 10 speed cassette (12/25), two American Classic skewers, one brand new old school Campy skewer and two Campy wheel bags. The wheel set weighed in at 1360g.

YesNdeed
03-03-2018, 02:49 PM
double edit:

And it is in fact a 28h, immaculate Record hub! :banana: