PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone here use ROKU?

Red Tornado
03-03-2018, 10:19 AM
How do you like it? Pros/cons? Guessing I would need to use a HD TV antenna to get local channels?
Thoughts/opinions/etc. appreciated.

Just so sick of watching looooong commercial breaks.....

Thanks.

R3awak3n
03-03-2018, 10:28 AM
Roku is great but you going to want services like netflix, hulu, direct tv now, ect... in order to really take advantage of it. It really is a mini computer that lets you use "apps" so you can watch stuff on your tv. I have had it for a while and also have a tv with built in Roku. Works well.

Billybob62
03-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Roku is great but you going to want services like netflix, hulu, direct tv plus, ect... in order to really take advantage of it. It really is a mini computer that lets you use "apps" so you can watch stuff on your tv. I have had it for a while and also have a tv with built in Roku. Works well.

+1 I have a ROKU and Sling.tv (mostly so I can watch ESPN).

old fat man
03-03-2018, 10:46 AM
I'm a fan of Roku. I have basic cable at home and access to ESPN, showtime, HBO and probably others on the Roku by logging into my parent's cable account on Roku. It's much faster than the smart TV for Netflix and Amazon too.

Richard
03-03-2018, 11:07 AM
I use a ROKU stick and subscribe to PSVue for live TV. It's a nice setup, with the caveat that PSVue does wink out once a month or so. Not for long, but it is annoying. ROKU has access to other streaming services and PSVue has access to local (NYC) networks. Where I live, there is no over the air access, so it's cable or a streaming service. PSVue has been pretty good. Generally HD quality and less than half the cost of cable.

hokoman
03-03-2018, 11:12 AM
I just bought a roku to use on a tv on the parlor level of our house. I use it to watch Spectrum cable and also Amazon Prime. The only connection I could find is on the Garden level, and running a new line up wasn't an option. Best $50 I spent in a really long time. I haven't used it for the roku app, so I can't comment on that.

Skenry
03-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Roku TV and a mini antennae on the back of my set, that plus Amazon Prime at $99 a year and the kids and I are both happy campers.

huck*this
03-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Roku TV and a mini antennae on the back of my set, that plus Amazon Prime at $99 a year and the kids and I are both happy campers.

Care to share what antenna you use?

unterhausen
03-03-2018, 12:18 PM
we have 4 rokus in the house, and an Amazon Firestick. One of the Rokus was supposed to go on my tv in the basement, but my wife wanted one of the kids to have it because of the earphones. And now she never uses it. Oh, well.

I actually like the firestick a little better. Roku's business model is to try to get you to give them money for things I'm not inclined to give them money for. Had to switch the screen saver to the digital clock because the default screen saver loads apps if you kill it with the "ok" button. Our channel list was getting very overcrowded with channels we don't use.

Doesn't matter for most people, but Spotify doesn't support Roku. I think Spotify is still lying about that to current subscribers, but there is no roku spotify app.

jlwdm
03-03-2018, 12:31 PM
we have 4 rokus in the house, and an Amazon Firestick. One of the Rokus was supposed to go on my tv in the basement, but my wife wanted one of the kids to have it because of the earphones. And now she never uses it. Oh, well.

I actually like the firestick a little better. Roku's business model is to try to get you to give them money for things I'm not inclined to give them money for. Had to switch the screen saver to the digital clock because the default screen saver loads apps if you kill it with the "ok" button. Our channel list was getting very overcrowded with channels we don't use.

I have two Roku sticks and think they are great. Much easier to use than Apple TV.

I don't understand your 2nd paragraph at all. Roku does not try to sell me anything and I just keep a small list of apps.

Jeff

wc1934
03-03-2018, 03:13 PM
using it now to watch napoli/roma on bein, thru my tv.

Skenry
03-03-2018, 03:56 PM

It's a cheap one from WalMart, it was maybe $10-15
I don't know the brand, but the flexible black plastic about 4" by 10" and it's powered.

I found this one on Amazon but mine was more rectangle shaped:
https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-Amplified-Digital-Detachable-Amplifier/dp/B01LY4YYG9/ref=sr_1_13_sspa?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1520113928&sr=1-13-spons&keywords=philips+antenna&psc=1

I live in Dayton, OH and facing south I get all my Dayton channels and quite a few from Cincinnati, about 40 miles away. Last time I scanned I think I was pulling in about 25 different channels.

parris
03-03-2018, 04:28 PM
This subject is timely because my wife and I are pretty fed up with Spectrum and all the s**t they're pulling locally as well as the cost.

mcfarton
03-03-2018, 08:16 PM
Fire tv is currently on sale and a great value. But as a cycling forum Apple tv has zwift.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daker13
03-04-2018, 06:28 AM
We bought a TCL TV (Roku brand) because we'd already used a Roku for streaming stuff and it was recommended by wirecutter.com. It's been pretty great. We've never had cable, and do all our watching from Netflix and Amazon Prime, with a tiny amount of broadcast. Everything's always functioned very well.

I use a $50 Amazon antenna for broadcast TV.

old fat man
03-04-2018, 06:42 AM
We bought a TCL TV (Roku brand) because we'd already used a Roku for streaming stuff and it was recommended by wirecutter.com. It's been pretty great. We've never had cable, and do all our watching from Netflix and Amazon Prime, with a tiny amount of broadcast. Everything's always functioned very well.

I use a $50 Amazon antenna for broadcast TV.

In my neighborhood (central CT), it's cheaper for me to have basic cable and internet from Comcast than just internet alone. Anyone else have this bizarre and annoying challenge?

speedevil
03-04-2018, 07:26 AM
We have 4 Roku's in our house, no broadcast TV as of now. We've been very happy with Roku, but you will wind up adding "channels" or "apps" to use other services through it.

As an example, we use netflix and amazon prime a lot. For Christmas content, we added hallmark channel for a couple of months. Hulu is good too, and you can watch a fair amount of network content the day after it airs.

I don't see us ever going back to dish tv, and cable isn't available out here in the hollers of western Kentucky. I would like to set up an OTA antenna, but just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe when I can find the time...

Tony T
03-04-2018, 07:30 AM
Love it!
I have cable at my primary residence, and when I'm away I can access all my channels with my Roku and my cable provider access code.

Just so sick of watching looooong commercial breaks.....

Consider Hulu commercial free for $12/mo.
If you get a Roku, check out Hulu (they have a free trial, 7 or 30 days, I forget which)

mcfarton
03-04-2018, 12:56 PM
In my neighborhood (central CT), it's cheaper for me to have basic cable and internet from Comcast than just internet alone. Anyone else have this bizarre and annoying challenge?

Yes I did. The Verizon Fios people kept knocking on my door. I would lie about how much I paid for internet and they would go away. About a month ago the salesman said he could beat that price and I am now internet only again. But now I am thinking about buying a new router to work with Fios so I don’t have to rent theirs

unterhausen
03-04-2018, 08:54 PM
I thought you had to have their equipment just to talk to the fiber?

Verizon just laid fiber no more than 200 yards from my house. Their website says I can get fios, but I will only believe it when they dig up my street, no poles here.

mcfarton
03-04-2018, 09:09 PM
My comcast equipment didn’t work with Fios. But between eBay and Amazon I have options for Fios equipment.

Likes2ridefar
03-05-2018, 07:45 AM
Check out nvidia shield. It is a lot better, IMO.

SpokeValley
03-05-2018, 08:00 AM

We cut the cord about 2 years ago so same here. Roku (works great) Antenna,
Channelmaster outdoor...awesome broadcast tv.

Tony T
03-05-2018, 08:03 AM
I still have Cable, however, if I were to switch to Antenna only I would get a Tivo Roamio OTA DVR in addition to Roku.