PDA

View Full Version : New POC - are opinions still so strong about them?

ptourkin
03-02-2018, 01:37 PM
http://www.pocsports.com/us/products/ventral-spin/10637.html?dwvar_10637_color=Uranium%20Black%20Rac eday&cgid=cycling#

I love my Octal and Octal MIPS. Apparently there was a licensing dispute with MIPS and they've gone to SPIN.

DRZRM
03-02-2018, 02:03 PM
No wonder there have been such deals on POC MIPS helmets. Just scored one of their Trabec Race MIPS for under $100.

http://www.pocsports.com/us/products/ventral-spin/10637.html?dwvar_10637_color=Uranium%20Black%20Rac eday&cgid=cycling#

I love my Octal and Octal MIPS. Apparently there was a licensing dispute with MIPS and they've gone to SPIN.

MattTuck
03-02-2018, 02:10 PM
I dig 'em. Last I heard their design is informed by actual crash statistics, as opposed to specific helmet tests that may or may not apply to the real world.

I was told this is why they have more mass toward the back of the helmet and less on top.

No idea if that is true or not. But, assuming it is true, I dig functional design so I like designs even if they seem a little odd.

mcteague
03-02-2018, 02:17 PM
You might find this interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0eYMxbVT7s

Tim

simonov
03-02-2018, 02:19 PM
I still can't get used to the looks of the Octal, but it's a very good helmet. Comfortable, airy, and (based on an unfortunate test a friend put one through) very good at protecting the head in a crash.

azrider
03-02-2018, 02:57 PM
POC FTW!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BexOJUnIgAEf_od.jpg

ptourkin
03-02-2018, 03:32 PM
I dig 'em. Last I heard their design is informed by actual crash statistics, as opposed to specific helmet tests that may or may not apply to the real world.

I was told this is why they have more mass toward the back of the helmet and less on top.

No idea if that is true or not. But, assuming it is true, I dig functional design so I like designs even if they seem a little odd.

I got my first Octal after a crash that put me in the hospital. My trauma doc picked it for that reason. It wasn't science necessarily, but I went with it.

sparky33
03-02-2018, 04:39 PM
POC helmets are great for a head that is less oval-shaped than mine [emoji53]

dogrange
03-02-2018, 05:36 PM
Looks good. Octal fits my head well, and it looks like they got rid of the wide-set straps which cause a lot of wind rumble in the Octal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc40a
03-02-2018, 06:59 PM
I like the looks of the new one. I’m a sucker for a matte black helmet.

I read something to the effect that the design’s claims have more to do with through-the-helmet airflow than aerodynamics.

I have an new Octal X that will be put into service this Spring.

Marc40a
03-02-2018, 07:02 PM
POC helmets are great for a head that is less oval-shaped than mine [emoji53]

Steve, have you tried adjusting the back band? Mine had to be lowered 2-3 notches before the fit worked.

I’ll be the first to admit, though...it wasn’t easy to adjust. I felt like I was going to break it. The POC (same model) that I had tried on before I bought mine was much easier to adjust. The new one seemed to be stuck.

bobswire
03-02-2018, 07:59 PM
Is it real or is it imitation?
I think this one is a fake Poc Octal Raceday at $74.99

https://www.ebay.com/p/POC-Octal-Raceday-Helmet-2017-Granate-Red-S/1338200372?_trksid=p2047675.l2644

fignon's barber
03-03-2018, 06:58 AM
Is it real or is it imitation?
I think this one is a fake Poc Octal Raceday at $74.99

https://www.ebay.com/p/POC-Octal-Raceday-Helmet-2017-Granate-Red-S/1338200372?_trksid=p2047675.l2644

DO NOT buy a POC helmet on ebay! About 2 years ago, I did from an ebay seller. I asked him point blank if it was authentic. He said yes. His feedback showed he had sold tons of them so I believed him. I got the helmet, and it looked real, with box and paperwork, etc. When I was adjusting it, the strap pulled right out of the helmet. I called POC usa with serial number. Fake!
I gave POC all his contact info and they shut him down. I did get my refund.
But once there is a production of a fake product on ebay, you must assume all are fake because you don't know for sure.
I have a real Octal now, that I got a couple months ago. Great helmet. The only flaw, as mentioned, is the strap system being anchored away from the inside edge of the helmet.

oldpotatoe
03-03-2018, 07:41 AM

$290!!!!????

Yikes..as good of protection and better looks(imho) than these.

berserk87
03-03-2018, 08:48 AM
I think that some of the POC helmets look ridiculous, but form follows function. I tried a few on and they fit me very well. I have a POC TT helmet (the Cerebal) and it's nice. If a piece of equipment works and it's the right price, I'm interested. Not so concerned on how it looks. I was one of the first riders on Speedplay in this area in the 1990's. Folks loved to ridicule them based on appearance. Now Speedplay use is widespread and some of the former ridiculers are riding them.

bobswire
03-03-2018, 08:51 AM
DO NOT buy a POC helmet on ebay! About 2 years ago, I did from an ebay seller. I asked him point blank if it was authentic. He said yes. His feedback showed he had sold tons of them so I believed him. I got the helmet, and it looked real, with box and paperwork, etc. When I was adjusting it, the strap pulled right out of the helmet. I called POC USA with a serial number. Fake!
I gave POC all his contact info and they shut him down. I did get my refund.
But once there is a production of a fake product on eBay, you must assume all are fake because you don't know for sure.
I have a real Octal now, that I got a couple months ago. Great helmet. The only flaw, as mentioned, is the strap system being anchored away from the inside edge of the helmet.

I received a reply from the online shop selling these helmets and he claimed they are real POC product though I also sent an email to POC USA asking them if they are legitimate POC helmets but probably hear back from them until Monday. If legit I'll buy one if not bye, bye them. Thanks

Human brains are weird, I had to go back 3 times to re-edit my reply, it's like my brain has been taken over by spell check.

BdaGhisallo
03-03-2018, 11:01 AM

It looks like they've addressed that flaw with the Ventral, much like Spec changed the anchoring points for the straps on their new Evade 2 helmet. Anchoring the straps such that they won't lie flat against the skin means that you'll get lots of vibration in the wind. Giro always nailed this.

I ordered a Ventral so I'll learn first hand. I have only ever used Giro helmets dating all the way back to 1987. I have bought a few others to try but they never work for me as nicely as Giro do. I wonder if the POC will.

Mark McM
03-05-2018, 10:20 AM

I'd like to know where they got actual crash statistics that were detailed enough to affect helmet design. As far as I know, there are essentially no bicycle crash statistics at all for crashes that don't result in serious injury, and even for those with serious injury (or death), about 1/3 of the time there is no information about whether the rider was wearing a helmet at all, let alone the nature of the crash or how the helmet affected injury.

bobswire
03-05-2018, 10:29 AM
I'd like to know where they got actual crash statistics that were detailed enough to affect helmet design. As far as I know, there are essentially no bicycle crash statistics at all for crashes that don't result in serious injury, and even for those with serious injury (or death), about 1/3 of the time there is no information about whether the rider was wearing a helmet at all, let alone the nature of the crash or how the helmet affected injury.

https://helmets.org/stats.htm

chiasticon
03-05-2018, 10:48 AM
until they change their logo to look less like it says "POO" then nope.

03-05-2018, 12:55 PM

I asked that same question when POCs first came out. Turns out there are some decent data on crashworthiness developed on test beds with extensive sensor placement and use of both dummies and cadavers. These were done in Switzerland and Germany. Industry studies, so not available unless you paid your dues as a member of the association. Casco apparently also used their results, as did Kask.

berserk87
03-05-2018, 04:14 PM
until they change their logo to look less like it says "POO" then nope.

Now see, that makes it cooler in my book.

fignon's barber
03-05-2018, 08:00 PM
I asked that same question when POCs first came out. Turns out there are some decent data on crashworthiness developed on test beds with extensive sensor placement and use of both dummies and cadavers. These were done in Switzerland and Germany. Industry studies, so not available unless you paid your dues as a member of the association. Casco apparently also used their results, as did Kask.

You're right. The lab test is fairly easy to recreate in a lab. Also, most helmet companies have a crash replacement policy where the customer sends the crashed helmet back for a discounted replacement. The helmet manufacturer analyzes these helmets. Additionally, there is quite a bit of pro racing crashes on film to study.
What they find is that on crashes where the front wheel turns sharply while the rider is holding the bars (like an overlapping wheel crash), the side/back of the head is what gets the brunt of the impact.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2018, 07:37 AM

Really? Yikes..:eek:

Mark McM
03-06-2018, 09:41 AM

But the claim was that the POC helmets designs were based on actual crash statistics, rather than laboratory experiments:

Last I heard their design is informed by actual crash statistics, as opposed to specific helmet tests that may or may not apply to the real world.

Mark McM
03-06-2018, 09:50 AM
https://helmets.org/stats.htm

Did you read the web page cited? There is no data there that could be useful in in guiding helmet design. The data is primarily for fatilities (no data on non-fatal injuries, or even on numbers of crashes), and the corollaries between fatalities and factors like time of day or alcohol. About the only information in the data on helmets is that the number of people killed while wearing helmets is going up, at the same time as the number of people killed who weren't wearing helmets is going down (and also that the record keeping on helmet usage appears to be going down, because the number of fatalities with unknown helmet usage has risen dramatically in the last decade).

FlashUNC
03-06-2018, 09:50 AM
They also take back every EF Cannondale Drapac helmet to study the results of crashes on the pro tour team. And those guys crash all the time.