PDA

View Full Version : OT-Password services

oldpotatoe
03-02-2018, 09:27 AM
Any recommendations for a good, easy and secure one? I think some are such that, you sign up and when you log into a site, the service recognizes your password, then next time you go there, it creates a random password but you don't have to do anything..yes?

andrewsuzuki
03-02-2018, 09:58 AM
I'm happy with LastPass (free). Last I checked a year ago, it's the best free option. I'm not sure it can automatically change your password on every visit, but it does have a manual "Auto change password" feature for popular sites on the control panel. Seems to sync well between devices.

sfscott
03-02-2018, 10:32 AM
1Password

Gsinill
03-02-2018, 10:41 AM
1Password

+1 but it's not free

oldpotatoe
03-02-2018, 10:47 AM
+1 but it's not free

I think the thing that worries me is if something goes 'wrong' and a site I gotta get onto, log into, for some reason, I cannot..at least with my wee clipboard of 50 little pieces of paper, I can always log in..

What would happen if it 'forgot' the password to turn my computer on?

Dude
03-02-2018, 11:01 AM
1password (and probably all of the others) also have a phone app, or can be accessed from any internet browser. So if you can't get into your computer, you can get your password from your phone app. If you happened to smash that in a garbage disposal, then you can borrow your friends computer or phone to login, retrieve your password and then logout.

I happen to use 1password and it's great.

zmudshark
03-02-2018, 11:21 AM
I use LastPass on my Windows computer and iPhone/iPad

Willy
03-02-2018, 11:33 AM
I use Msecure - it's on all our machines - iPhone, iPad, windows computer and Apple computer. Sync's all devices through the Dropbox.

tumbler
03-02-2018, 11:41 AM
I use Lastpass as well. Have it on multiple computers and my phone. There are a lot of nice features, like generating long/random passwords and sharing passwords with others. If you are paranoid like me, you can also use it with 2-factor authentication, so even if someone got your master password, they would also need your 2-factor device in order to get access to your Lastpass.

It's definitely more work than using "p@$$w0rd123" for every site, but hopefully worth it to avoid being hacked, and if a site gets hacked, to prevent your leaked password from being used on other sites.

biker72
03-02-2018, 03:33 PM
I have an encrypted Excel file with all my passwords on Google drive. The file is in a folder named Graphics that's in a folder named Internet.

Of course I've just moved the file from that location to somewhere else.

paredown
03-02-2018, 04:42 PM
My lovely wife is a convert to LastPass--I haven't started using it yet though.

I wanted to remind everyone of the need for a plan for password access, should you be unable to access your own computer--and this something that LastPass lets you do. In the event of the untoward or the unimaginable, someone else can look after your digital life.

On the same note, I'm currently cleaning up some computers from an estate--and they are a complete mess as far as organization--but worse yet, a lot of passwords are saved in old Firefox, with an auto login, and guess what--suddenly I had access to this guy's Paypal, Amazon, bank info etc. (Ensuring no user info got into the wild was part of my job, so it is not like this is a little opportunity for nefarious activity.:eek:)

DON'T USE THE BROWSER TO SAVE CRITICAL PASSWORDS!

And have a plan so that someone can kill accounts, find information easily--and BE SURE WHOEVER IS LOOKING AFTER YOUR ESTATE WILL THOROUGHLY WIPE ANY HARD DRIVE (OR SMASH IT!) BEFORE IT GOES OUT THE DOOR.

I actually think this digital clean up service is a market opportunity as we boomers age--I just have to figure out how to assess and charge fairly, because often you don't know how long/how involved the project may turn out to be...