PDA

View Full Version : Trek Checkpoint - New Gravel Bike for 2018

Clean39T
03-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Looks like they made some really good choices on this one. I have to expect there will be an SLR version at some point with the front ISO-Speed and adjustable rear..

From VeloNews:

http://cdn.velonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Checkpoint-SL-6-800x554.jpg

The Checkpoint replaces it [Domane Gravel] and ditches the front decoupler as well as the adjustable rear decoupler, for the sake of affordability. Its rear, non-adjustable decoupler is the same you’ve seen on Trek’s Boone cyclocross bike.

And that’s not all the Checkpoint shares with the Boone. The reach on both bikes is nearly identical; the chain stay length and wheelbases are also the same. The Checkpoint does have a slightly taller stack height and a lower bottom bracket, though. Trek aims to strike a middle ground between stability and responsiveness. It feels like a road bike, but not quite.

The Checkpoint also features Trek’s “Stranglehold” dropout, which is featured on one of the company’s mountain bikes, the Stache. This allows you to customize the wheelbase with 15 millimeters of total adjustability fore and aft. A longer setting gives you stability, while a shorter setting quickens handling. It also allows you to run the bike as a singlespeed.

Of course, there are mounts everywhere. You have the option to run three water bottles in the main triangle and another under the down tube. The Lowrider fork mounts accept a rack or bag setup and are designed for Trek’s 720 Fork Rack. The SL models include a top tube mount for a bento box. And of course, there are mounts for a rear rack.

In another nod to versatility, the Checkpoint has clearance for tires ranging from 28mm to 45mm. The bike comes with 35mm Schwalbe tires, as well as an 11-34 cassette.

The top-of-the-line Checkpoint, the SL6, is equipped with Shimano Ultegra with hydraulic brakes and aluminum Bontrager Paradigm Comp Disc wheels for $3,799.

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2018/03/bikes-and-tech/first-ride-trek-checkpoint-gravel-bike_457653#q5fmkaSYqS1Agrr2.99

ptourkin
03-01-2018, 04:18 PM
I think they missed. No 650B, 2X, and ugly.

The mounts are nice but nobody is running racks anymore.

R3awak3n
03-01-2018, 04:33 PM

if it fits 45mm 700 prob fits a 650b. 2x is still preferred by a lot (me included) and its not that ugly imo but it looks very generic.

Ed-B
03-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Integrated seat post?! Ugh.

Clean39T
03-01-2018, 04:37 PM

If you find that bike ugly, then you'll find most every new carbon bike ugly - I prefer some color, but it's no worse than other "ghost" bikes - and certainly much better than the hunch-back'd Canyon.

2x and rack mounts (and hidden fender mounts) make perfect sense on this level frame - why not give room for a commuting setup?

I imagine they'll offer an SLR version at some point that will be 1x, no mounts, lighter, etc. - ie. a race bike.

ptourkin
03-01-2018, 04:39 PM
if it fits 45mm 700 prob fits a 650b. 2x is still preferred by a lot (me included) and its not that ugly imo but it looks very generic.

That's usually the case. But another release said " Also, don’t expect to run 650b on the Checkpoint – Trek says the frame is purpose built around 700c wheels and tires and 650b is not recommended."

andrewsuzuki
03-01-2018, 04:42 PM
ALR Frame is nearly identical to the Fuji Jari frameset which has been out for nearly two years. Flat mount, 12mm f+r thru axles, fork and frame mounts, third bottle and bento box mounts.

The Jari also has a nice BSA BB, and 650b x 2.0" clearance.

The ALR frame is $960, the Jari is $650 (used to be $450 last year).

The Jari is also lighter than the ALR by 400g, and the carbon Checkpoint by 200g? Unless Fuji's quoted weight is only for the frame. In that case it's the same weight as the ALR.

And you can mimic the IsoSpeed with a $200 Ergon CF3 :) as Canyon does with their endurance/gravel models.

ptourkin
03-01-2018, 04:43 PM
If you find that bike ugly, then you'll find most every new carbon bike ugly - I prefer some color, but it's no worse than other "ghost" bikes - and certainly much better than the hunch-back'd Canyon.

2x and rack mounts (and hidden fender mounts) make perfect sense on this level frame - why not give room for a commuting setup?

I imagine they'll offer an SLR version at some point that will be 1x, no mounts, lighter, etc. - ie. a race bike.

I guess the black one just looks generic to me and the cable routing looks sloppy. It's probably a great bike, it just doesn't appeal and it doesn't look like what the enthusiasts are running.

If that post is integrated, it precludes a dropper and a lot of people are doing that now.

The WTB Resolutes are very popular and those are out.

72gmc
03-01-2018, 05:01 PM

Lights.

CMiller
03-01-2018, 05:22 PM
That's usually the case. But another release said " Also, don’t expect to run 650b on the Checkpoint – Trek says the frame is purpose built around 700c wheels and tires and 650b is not recommended."

76mm bottom bracket drop, so very very low, I see this is as a very good thing for 700c, not all bikes have to be 650b.

Gummee
03-01-2018, 05:59 PM
Integrated seat post?! Ugh.

It's a seat mast. Not an ISP. Works the same as a normal seatpost

I loved my Boone. I should be seeing pics of it here shortly... I'd ride another if I wasn't working for either myself or a shop that sells something else

M

John H.
03-01-2018, 06:04 PM
I think this bike checks many boxes for someone wanting a gravel bike.

You don't need 650b- If you really need a tire that big, a hardtail will likely be a better tool for the ride.

Double- Heck, yeah. Way more low gearing possibilities while not giving up road high end. I just built an Ultegra bike today with a 50/34 and an 11-42 with a Goat Link. It worked great.
The only drawback to a double is no clutch.

I agree that the cable routing could be prettier- But a lot of that can be made to look nicer by a good mechanic.

It is a well priced carbon bike with good spec- That is what many are looking for in a gravel bike.

parris
03-01-2018, 06:08 PM
I've been looking for a gravel bike for a while and this model looks pretty cool to me.

Ed-B
03-01-2018, 06:12 PM
It's a seat mast. Not an ISP. Works the same as a normal seatpost

I loved my Boone. I should be seeing pics of it here shortly... I'd ride another if I wasn't working for either myself or a shop that sells something else

M

It still looks like a limitation to me. I can't see how that works like a normal seat post. What if you want a lower seat height? Is it necessary to buy a different upper?

rnhood
03-01-2018, 06:17 PM

You don't need 650b- If you really need a tire that big, a hardtail will likely be a better tool for the ride.

Double- Heck, yeah. Way more low gearing possibilities while not giving up road high end. I just built an Ultegra bike today with a 50/34 and an 11-42 with a Goat Link. It worked great.

I agree that the cable routing could be prettier- But a lot of that can be made to look nicer by a good mechanic.

It is a well priced carbon bike with good spec- That is what many are looking for in a gravel bike.

I think you have summed it up well. I'd much rather have it than any heavy steel bike. But we all have our preferences so mileage may vary, as they say. It seems to me that Trek got it mostly right with this new bike, and at a relatively affordable price given it's build.

dustyrider
03-01-2018, 06:19 PM
It still looks like a limitation to me. I can't see how that works like a normal seat post. What if you want a lower seat height? Is it necessary to buy a different upper?

Yes, the seat mast comes in different lengths and setback, just like seatposts do.

Plum Hill
03-01-2018, 06:25 PM
No OG (Old Guy) Geometry.
I need the 56 with the headtube dimension of the 58 or 60.

rnhood
03-01-2018, 06:33 PM
The stack is plenty, and if you need more than the 56 then get the 58 and use 1cm shorter stem. With the slack HT, handling will not be compromised. A 2cm rise on the 56's stem will make it equivalent to the stack on the 58. Lots of options for old people. Since I'm only 67, I don't fully fall into the old category yet. However, some of the cross bikes can have pretty low front ends even for me. But all the gravel bikes have plenty of stack.

bobswire
03-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Lights.

Thanks for the idea.

Gummee
03-02-2018, 08:58 AM

Nope

M

Lovetoclimb
03-02-2018, 10:10 AM

I personally find a 650 or 700x2.1 to be incredibly useful for big all day gravel rides. At least in the Smokies and Pisgah which is where I ride. Sure a hard tail is more capable but I have almost always ridden drop bar bikes so that feels better to me. It doesn't prevent me from keeping up with my friends who join me on ther hard tails. As for gearing, you can have a double with that range and a clutch of you use the Tanpan cable device. I run Ultegra 11 with an XT rear derailleur. Shifts just as well as the GS long cage Ultegra IMO.

46/34 with 11x40 fwiw, likely going to a 11-42 because my Soma is so heavy :/

As soon as Rodeo Labs makes the Trail Donkey in a 650x2.1 clearance I'm upgrading.

PaMtbRider
03-02-2018, 10:22 AM
I like it, and I'm not a big bike brand kind of guy. It will be interesting to see if this comes out in an SLR version with Di2.

I keep telling myself I am going to buy a titanium, disc, gravel bike. For the price of the titanium frame you can get the whole bike. I know it has always been this way, but the choices from big brands has really exploded in the gravel segment. If you can find stock geometry that you like these options are hard to ignore. With the fat tires I think frame material becomes a moot point. As a wet weather, beat the crap out of it type of bike, going with something like this Trek can make a lot of sense.

ptourkin
03-02-2018, 10:26 AM
I personally find a 650 or 700x2.1 to be incredibly useful for big all day gravel rides. At least in the Smokies and Pisgah which is where I ride. Sure a hard tail is more capable but I have almost always ridden drop bar bikes so that feels better to me. It doesn't prevent me from keeping up with my friends who join me on ther hard tails. As for gearing, you can have a double with that range and a clutch of you use the Tanpan cable device. I run Ultegra 11 with an XT rear derailleur. Shifts just as well as the GS long cage Ultegra IMO.

46/34 with 11x40 fwiw, likely going to a 11-42 because my Soma is so heavy :/

As soon as Rodeo Labs makes the Trail Donkey in a 650x2.1 clearance I'm upgrading.

Stephen listens. The new version has a 27.2 post, which fixed the main comment I had about mine. It also uses a T47 bb.

Mzilliox
03-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Seems to do a lot. I wonder does it do any of it well? or does it just do a lot? i don't find it good looking at all, but not ugly either. I wonder how much it weighs? an article says 19.3 lbs.

Black and white bikes, yawn;)

I think if you know what you want, one can build something more for their own purposes and preferences for the same price or cheaper weighing much less. But if one was not sure what one wanted... this could be a good swiss army knife type solution, isn't as clumsy as the 520, and isn't a porker under 20lbs.

I'm sure some of them will be sold.

spacemen3
03-02-2018, 12:28 PM
That bike positively screams, "Meh." :p

PaMtbRider
03-03-2018, 05:56 AM
The buying public must like what they see. My local Trek dealer told me the online inventory he orders from was sold out within 3 hours of the bikes announcement.

dustyrider
03-03-2018, 06:08 AM
The buying public must like what they see. My local Trek dealer told me the online inventory he orders from was sold out within 3 hours of the bikes announcement.

Is that customer orders, or dealer manadatory minimums being met?

roguedog
03-03-2018, 09:28 AM
Holy cow. I've been wondering if I've missed something in Trek's line up! I couldn't figure out their equivalent to Diverge or the Sequoia. Seems like they've missed the boat by a few years. Or hmm.. maybe they waited to see if the boat was a row boat or a cruise ship... Maybe they were smarter to wait to see if the market would hold?

Clean39T
03-03-2018, 10:03 AM
That bike positively screams, "Meh." :p

So does a Honda Accord - and yet they fly off the shelf..

Clean39T
03-03-2018, 10:05 AM
What’s a little scary is how many bikes Trek has in a similar genre (commuting/gravel/cross/touring/bikepacking).

https://youtu.be/1DlxQ7Luh-4

BikeRadar Review

m4rk540
03-03-2018, 11:17 AM
https://shop.laufforks.com/product-category/bikes/?shop_columns=6

roguedog
03-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Hey ptourkin,can you provide ride report and review of the trail donkey in your showcase thread? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=202572&page=2) Have been poking on their site and saw you had one.

PaMtbRider
03-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Is that customer orders, or dealer manadatory minimums being met?

I spoke with him again today and he indicated that was orders from bike shops, not mandatory stock. He had planned on ordering a few for his shop and they were sold out before he could place an order.
Earliest availability for the carbon Ultegra SL6 is May.

ptourkin
03-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Hey ptourkin,can you provide ride report and review of the trail donkey in your showcase thread? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=202572&page=2) Have been poking on their site and saw you had one.

Will try this weekend. Short version, it's a super fun bike made by cool people. I've used it for gravel, singletrack and bikepacking. With skinny tires, it was also my backup/climbing bike for the Silver State 508 this year.

Get on the new ones. As I said above, as more of a roadie, the 31 post was something I noticed. The new ones will have a 27.2 and IMO it will be more comfy for the long haul. They will send me a shim to bond in if I decide to go that way and switch mine.

fbhidy
08-10-2018, 02:36 PM
Will try this weekend. Short version, it's a super fun bike made by cool people. I've used it for gravel, singletrack and bikepacking. With skinny tires, it was also my backup/climbing bike for the Silver State 508 this year.

Get on the new ones. As I said above, as more of a roadie, the 31 post was something I noticed. The new ones will have a 27.2 and IMO it will be more comfy for the long haul. They will send me a shim to bond in if I decide to go that way and switch mine.I'm registered for the 508 this year (4 person relay) and planning to ride my checkpoint with road tires. Any tips or suggestions are welcome!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

ergott
08-10-2018, 02:43 PM
76mm bottom bracket drop, so very very low, I see this is as a very good thing for 700c, not all bikes have to be 650b.

I don't think 6mm will be the difference between striking pedals and not for 99% riders.

Trek said the same thing about the Crockett that my friend rides with 650B wheels. No reason not to and clearance if there for some big tires. He's running 42mm and they look tiny in there.

It's smart for Trek to stock with 700c since most of the market has no idea what 650b road is. That's fine, they can learn along the way if they choose. This bike might have other clearance issues, but if it can clear a 650X48 or 50, then I see no reason it couldn't be run that way. That's like telling the rider they can't put 25mm tires on there because the BB is too low.

fbhidy
08-10-2018, 02:49 PM
I don't think 6mm will be the difference between striking pedals and not for 99% riders.

Trek said the same thing about the Crockett that my friend rides with 650B wheels. No reason not to and clearance if there for some big tires. He's running 42mm and they look tiny in there.

It's smart for Trek to stock with 700c since most of the market has no idea what 650b road is. That's fine, they can learn along the way if they choose. This bike might have other clearance issues, but if it can clear a 650X48 or 50, then I see no reason it couldn't be run that way. That's like telling the rider they can't put 25mm tires on there because the BB is too low.Why run 650B x 48 or 50 mm when you can run 700c x 48 or 50 mm on the bike? Honestly asking, not rhetorical.

ergott
08-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Why run 650B x 48 or 50 mm when you can run 700c x 48 or 50 mm on the bike? Honestly asking, not rhetorical.

OD is smaller so bike feels smaller and more nimble to me. Wheels are lighter too.

ColonelJLloyd
08-10-2018, 03:02 PM
Why run 650B x 48 or 50 mm when you can run 700c x 48 or 50 mm on the bike? Honestly asking, not rhetorical.

Feel: the smaller diameter wheel feels like it's easier to spin up to speed and probably is
Handling: steering feels more sluggish with the larger diameter; trail is slightly increased with the increased tire diameter
TCO: smaller is better
Standover/ride height: given the choice I'd rather have my center of gravity lower, even if it is just a little
Weight: less mass

John H.
08-10-2018, 03:13 PM
19.3 is light for an Ultegra equipped bike with a double crankset, aluminum wheels, aluminum bars, and metal rail saddle.
That is what bikes that are off-road worthy weigh.
18 lb. Is a weight for a gravel bike with carbon parts.
To get lighter than that it takes a 1x, or less of an offroad tire.

Seems to do a lot. I wonder does it do any of it well? or does it just do a lot? i don't find it good looking at all, but not ugly either. I wonder how much it weighs? an article says 19.3 lbs.

Black and white bikes, yawn;)

I think if you know what you want, one can build something more for their own purposes and preferences for the same price or cheaper weighing much less. But if one was not sure what one wanted... this could be a good swiss army knife type solution, isn't as clumsy as the 520, and isn't a porker under 20lbs.

I'm sure some of them will be sold.

verbeke06
10-16-2018, 02:15 PM
For someone who understand geometry better than me and races cyclocross. What would the limitations of this geometry be for cyclocross? I see the BB drop is about 1 cm more than most CX bikes, but I rarely find myself pedal striking in races and wonder if that is a big deal or not? Do you all think this bike could serve both CX and Gravel duties?

fbhidy
10-16-2018, 02:23 PM
I've used mine for a CX Clinic with zero issues and plan to race it as well in a few weeks.

As pack fodder attacking off the back, I see little in the bike that will hold me back!

SpokeValley
10-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the idea.

Ditto :beer:

ptourkin
10-16-2018, 02:26 PM
I'm registered for the 508 this year (4 person relay) and planning to ride my checkpoint with road tires. Any tips or suggestions are welcome!

Just saw this. Hope it went well. What was your totem? I saw you both ways at Austin, either way - I was running the TS.

fbhidy
10-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Just saw this. Hope it went well. What was your totem? I saw you both ways at Austin, either way - I was running the TS.

Team Super Tabby!

I was rider D, so I rode east out of Austin about 6:30 pm Friday and got to the summit at sunset. My teammates took the following amazing photo:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn848A6lHnR/?taken-by=fbhidy (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn848A6lHnR/?taken-by=fbhidy) I'm actually only in the 1st and last photos in the series of the Instagram post.

Thanks for being out there!

ptourkin
10-16-2018, 02:45 PM
Team Super Tabby!

I was rider D, so I rode east out of Austin about 6:30 pm Friday and got to the summit at sunset. My teammates took the following amazing photo:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn848A6lHnR/?taken-by=fbhidy (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn848A6lHnR/?taken-by=fbhidy) I'm actually only in the 1st and last photos in the series of the Instagram post.

Thanks for being out there!

Epic shot. I remember you guys from years past too when I was around your van as a solo - Pink Fairy Armadillo.