PDA

View Full Version : Today's ride-first snow

Gothard
10-07-2006, 10:35 AM
No, not on me, yet. Only on the peaks, but nice nonetheless.
After a short ride last week, I managed to squeeze another today on the Yellow Legend. For those who know the area, you can see Crans-Montana higher on the crest on the 2nd picture.
There are advantages living in the mountainous part of the country, such as beautiful vistas, but there are inconvenients, such as living in the middle of a *very* steep road... Being out of shape sucks, but I am working at it.

saab2000
10-07-2006, 10:49 AM
You're in the South dude. I once saw snow on the slopes to the SE of Zurich on August 29. No joke. That was about 8 or 9 years ago, but there was definitely snow up by Einsiedeln, about 1000 meters above sea level.

Anyway, let it snow! I want to get over there this winter, maybe very early winter for some skiing. My sister lives there and I can stay with her. Free flying and free lodging in Switzerland make for a cheap ski vacation! :beer:

Tailwinds
10-07-2006, 10:57 AM
There are advantages living in the mountainous part of the country, such as beautiful vistas, but there are inconvenients, such as living in the middle of a *very* steep road... Being out of shape sucks, but I am working at it.

At least the beauty is a distraction from the suffering of being out of shape. :rolleyes: At least that's the way I see it here in CO.

Beautiful place you get to ride around... nice pix.

mike p
10-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Lovely, more pic's.

Mike

BoulderGeek
10-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Gorgeous shots. The Alps are so dramatic.

Even after living in Colorado for 15 years, the Alps blow me away.

When I did the Steamboat Tri back on August 28, there was fresh show capping the peaks around Steamboat Springs.

I bet there is more this morning, but the mountains I can see from my yard are shrouded in dark clouds.

manet
10-08-2006, 12:27 PM
gorgeous _ jealous

Karin Kirk
10-08-2006, 01:36 PM
LOVE Switzerland! I thought I already lived in the coolest mountains until I visited Switzerland this spring. I fell in love with that country! The mountains are so massive and dwarf our quaint Rockies. The villages and agriculture are highly interesting and the train system rocks! We got a huge kick out of riding the red mountain trains (a la Glacier Express), opening the huge windows and hanging out of the car and gaping at all the scenery. What a fun way to see the countryside!

I'm definitely going back next spring, and bike riding will be on the agenda. I'm sure I will have questions before I go back, so I will be asking for some tips. My Mom lives on the Bodensee, which also looked to be a cyclist's paradise.

EDIT: Oh and it snowed quite a bit here yesterday too. I think this was our 3rd or 4th snowfall so far. And now I am going to bundle up and go out for a spin! :)

saab2000
10-08-2006, 01:40 PM
LOVE Switzerland! I thought I already lived in the coolest mountains until I visited Switzerland this spring. I fell in love with that country! The mountains are so massive and dwarf our quaint Rockies. The villages and agriculture are highly interesting and the train system rocks! We got a huge kick out of riding the red mountain trains (a la Glacier Express), opening the huge windows and hanging out of the car and gaping at all the scenery. What a fun way to see the countryside!

I'm definitely going back next spring, and bike riding will be on the agenda. I'm sure I will have questions before I go back, so I will be asking for some tips. My Mom lives on the Bodensee, which also looked to be a cyclist's paradise.

EDIT: Oh and it snowed quite a bit here yesterday too. I think this was our 3rd or 4th snowfall so far. And now I am going to bundle up and go out for a spin! :)

I am certain others here with a Swiss connection can give you good advice too, but if you have any questions feel free to let me know. I used to live near Zurich, not too far from the Bodensee.

Gothard
10-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Karin,
Should you ever come in Switzerland, let me know firsthand. I would love to have you and Mr. DKS at my place for some "raclette" and a ride up the hill...

Another pic, last winter fom our guestroom window...

Karin Kirk
10-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Wow! Spectacular view out the guest room there! Thanks Gothard and Saab for the advice in advance. I will definitely need some tips before my next trip and I will be asking questions next spring. Mr. K won't be joining me, unfortunately. My European travels are with my adventurous Mom. She's a hoot to travel with because she is spontaneous and she's up for just about anything. We have a great time together and I am lucky to have such fun times with my Mom.

In fact, she's in Switzerland somewhere right now, for a conference.

Anyway, you guys are lucky to live in a place that is not only beautiful, but culturally and socially very interesting.

Serotta PETE
10-08-2006, 05:36 PM
great pictures...thanks. (we had nothing but rain in NC this weekend and I went to the gym. Not the same >>>>>)

PETE

spiderlake
10-08-2006, 06:17 PM
There is nothing better than raclette after a long ride in the alps! If I actually lived there, I have no doubt in my mind that I would weigh 250 pounds. The raclette grill gets a lot of use here during the winter months. As luck would have it, we have our very own french-born and swiss-trained cheesemaker in northern Michigan!! We are supposed to get snow later this week. I think some raclette is in order!

Karin,
Should you ever come in Switzerland, let me know firsthand. I would love to have you and Mr. DKS at my place for some "raclette" and a ride up the hill...

Another pic, last winter fom our guestroom window...

sc53
10-08-2006, 08:17 PM
OK, your pics put my day in the lovely 75 degree Virginia and Maryland fall countryside to shame. Nothing but nothing beats the Alps.