PDA

View Full Version : zwift - primer?

vqdriver
02-28-2018, 11:00 AM
i'm curious enough to give it a try. is there a basic list of things i'll need to try it out? on their site, it lists minor things to prepare like a towel and fan, but then it jumps to suggesting a power meter for full effect.
for me, it's all about time. i just don't have time to dedicate to riding. any free time i have i prefer to spend with my kids these days so really my only ride times would be later in the evenings, like after 9pm.
fwiw, i currently have a 'dumb' trainer and garmin with speed/cadence and hr sensors. i'm fine with buying a new trainer if i like it, but really don't want to drop a bunch of money on it just to try.

edit: also, can i use an older laptop, or can i use my phone with chromecast?

kramnnim
02-28-2018, 11:28 AM
You can try it with the dumb trainer. The power estimate will be more accurate with some trainers than others...and may be way off. But it's enough for you to get a feel for how it works.

Depending on the age of the laptop...it may run poorly, or not at all. Won't run on an Android device, but it will on newer iOS devices. And newer Apple TVs.

If you run it on a PC, you will need a USB ANT+ adapter, like the $25 Suunto Movestick Mini. Also may need a USB extension cord. iOS doesn't do ANT+ easily, you would need Bluetooth sensors.

Tony T
02-28-2018, 11:36 AM
I tried Zwift with a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine Smart Trainer, and didn't really like it as I didn't really like the "virtual riding with a group" of Zwift

I use and like TrainerRoad. TR has training plans that you can select to suit your needs, from 3 days a week, 6 week plans to 6 days a week plans. And you can just pick a workout and 'ride' if you don't like plans. Graphics on a Smart Phone (or laptop) as you 'ride' showing your ride progress (but no virtual roads to ride)

Another one to look at is SufferFest

You really do need a Smart Trainer to get the most of Zwift and TrainerRoad (not sure if its even possible with a dumb trainer)

Jmq4
02-28-2018, 11:41 AM
I used a dumb trainer on zwift at first, following their protocol for setting it up (cycleops mag). I just recently bought a kickr snap, and calibrated it according to wahoo. I’d have to say, and this is just by feel and memory, that the dumb trainer was close to what the kickr puts out. Of course they both could be way off, and I don’t have a power meter to know for sure.

I’ve always used an iPad and occasionally appleTV. did use an iPhone a couple of times, worked fine, but very small.

JAGI410
02-28-2018, 11:42 AM
I use my iPad, a $60 Amazon trainer, a Wahoo speed/cadence sensor and that’s enough to get going. Dumb generic trainer will limit you to 400w, but that’s ok. I’ve also tried setting it to say I have a Blackburn Mag-1 and you lose the 400w cap, but it also seems harder to hit that 400w target too! Overall it makes trainer riding suck less. For someone who doesn’t enjoy road riding at all, I think Zwift is quite fun. I like the interactivity of it all, and the workouts are great.

kramnnim
02-28-2018, 12:45 PM
I've ridden 15,000 virtual miles on Zwift. For me, the races are far more motivating than any other indoor riding. And the group rides...have to pay attention so you don't get dropped. I do spend a lot of time just riding solo at zone 1/2, not even paying attention to what is happening on the screen...

OldCrank
02-28-2018, 12:53 PM
Zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest etc. all offer a free week- at least.

Also, if you have shops or studios nearby, sometimes they have get-togethers where you can give it a try- tho I don't know which safe/studio affiliates with which program.

One you get Zwift working at all, you can try unstructured rides - you don't have to jump in with the hardcores right away.

I liked it well enough, but ended up wanting not just to be less bored on my rollers, but faster- so I went through Zwift to TR and ended up with Sufferfest.

Enjoy the trip!

jruhlen1980
02-28-2018, 01:42 PM
You can try it with the dumb trainer. The power estimate will be more accurate with some trainers than others...and may be way off. But it's enough for you to get a feel for how it works.

Depending on the age of the laptop...it may run poorly, or not at all. Won't run on an Android device, but it will on newer iOS devices. And newer Apple TVs.

If you run it on a PC, you will need a USB ANT+ adapter, like the $25 Suunto Movestick Mini. Also may need a USB extension cord. iOS doesn't do ANT+ easily, you would need Bluetooth sensors.

This pretty much covers the technical stuff.

My experience is that I tried zwift with a dumb trainer and found it to be a little pointless -- the whole point of Zwift is simulated riding in an outdoor environment, and with a dumb trainer you can just hammer in a tough gear up hills and fly up them instead of actually approximating the feeling of climbing.

So I did TrainerRoad, and got a lot of performance benefit from it with a dumb trainer.

This winter my 8-year-old Cyclops Fluid2 finally bit the dust so I invested in a Wahoo KICKR Snap -- so I tried Zwift again.

The smart trainer was a game changer -- climbing up the big 20-minute mountain on Watopia actually feels like i"m climbing for 20 minutes.

I still do TrainerRoad during the week for training, but Zwift on weekends (when the weather is crappy) for fun.

vqdriver
02-28-2018, 01:46 PM
Hm. That makes sense. Maybe ill find a local studio to get the full effect with a smart trainer.

Thanks

carpediemracing
02-28-2018, 02:05 PM
I used a CycleOps Fluid2 for a while. Although I had a SRM at the time, it was wired, so it didn't talk to Zwift/Ant+/Bluetooth so I had to use the dumb option. For me the calculated power ("zPower") was a bit low, 55+ watts at about 200w. I then got a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine (seals blew in the Fluid2, the 3rd one to fail for me). The power loss compared to real life wasn't as bad, about 35w max at 200w.

I upgraded my SRM to wireless so it talks to Zwift now, so it's good.

This is what I have, and what I've used:

Mac (it's old, like 2011, and I stopped using it about a year ago) and a PC with Windows 7. PC I built from parts I bought literally about 10 years ago (and never assembled) so it's not really fast but it seems to be fine. I think it's a 3 core? AMD, something like 2.2 GHz, and 8 GB RAM. I did buy a recent video card, I think it was a 1 GB? I don't remember but that was the limiting factor, the original video card I'd bought for it was totally out of date.

From the computer this is the hardware set up:

** Computer -> USB extension cable -> USB Ant+ receiver **

The Ant+ receiver sits under the BB.

** Bike has Wahoo or similar Ant+ speed and cadence pick ups. **

With the wired SRM I used the same magnet for the SRM on the rear wheel so I have the SRM pick up on the bottom of the stay, the Ant+ on the top. With wireless SRM I can use the Wahoo pick up, much easier.

That's it. Software and you're done.

I don't do many group rides, and I really never do races (tried a few). The drafting/etc is not the same as in real life, with built in lag (about 1-2 seconds, it's not a connection function) and with the drafting algorithm still very far away from reality.

However I do get motivated to do some harder efforts on Zwift that I normally would not do, even if I had a training plan to follow. There's something about being measured on (literally) a world stage that motivates me to ride a bit harder than if I was just trying to do an effort for myself.

Most of my riding involves started Zwift, pedaling, starting YouTube, and watching bike races on YouTube. Or sometimes, if there's a new movie out I want to check out, watching something on Amazon or Netflix. Or, if I'm really motivated to watch some cycling, I'll pop in one of my many cycling DVDs and listen to a playlist I created on YouTube (aptly named the Zwift Motivation Music, starts with System of the Down).

If you want to get into Zwift more there are groups that use Discord to chat, there are both groups and races, and some rides/races are even streamed live (which I totally do not understand).

Zwift was meant to be organic. The company would supply a framework and the players/riders would fill things in. For example there are a couple online manuals for Zwift, there are maps (you can buy poster size maps for decoration), etc. This is all stuff done outside of Zwift's purview.

I have no idea on 4k, Bluetooth, etc, just the basic stuff. That's all I need or care about.

Disclaimer: I know a few people intimately involved with Zwift, and, as someone that rides primarily indoors even though I race crits, I was asked about their concept before they launched the company.

sparky33
02-28-2018, 02:09 PM
Let your kids customize your Zwift avatar.

Hilarity will ensue.

ergott
02-28-2018, 02:22 PM
I use and like TrainerRoad. TR has training plans that you can select to suit your needs, from 3 days a week, 6 week plans to 6 days a week plans. And you can just pick a workout and 'ride' if you don't like plans. Graphics on a Smart Phone (or laptop) as you 'ride' showing your ride progress (but no virtual roads to ride)

Zwift has these training plans too. I've been on an 11 week ftp builder with an average of 7-8hrs a week. I'm using ERG mode so no terrain adjusting resistance, but I still have that option on unstructured days.

Anyone local want to visit me you're more than welcome to try the setup out. I have a Tacx Bushido and a spare wheel dedicated for this. Just bring your road bike (130mm QR).