PDA

View Full Version : Help! Trike conversion?

CiclistiCliff
02-27-2018, 12:03 AM
Paceliners, I need some help. A long time customer has been diagnosed with a medical condition that has caused him to lose the ability to balance a bike and cycling was always his therapy.

Has anyone seeing or worked on trike conversions for road bikes? He’s not opposed to custom if it allows him to ride again. I’ve seen pictures of conversions but maybe I’m losing my mind.

Help me find a way to get him back on a bike, yeah?

Polyglot
02-27-2018, 02:07 AM
Where are you located and how large a frame would your customer need? While I am not actively trying to sell my trike, I would be more than happy to let him try my trike out so he can see whether it will suit his needs. I say this because trike riding is not as simple as everybody thinks and there is a learning curve that somebody with balance issues might not be able to overcome. At slowish speed it is not an issue but when speeds increase the need to balance becomes quite extreme (often more than on a regular single). Having said that, back in the 70's I had a trike made for my developmentally and balance-challenged neighbor. He loved his trike and quickly became a fixture riding his trike in the neighborhood. He got a good 10 years out of the trike, riding every day.

PS: my trike is 59-60 cm ST C/C

SlowPokePete
02-27-2018, 03:42 AM
Polyglot...got a pic?

Sounds cool...

SPP

charliedid
02-27-2018, 08:38 AM
Consider a recumbent trike.

Find the best shop close to you and do some test rides.

Something like this maybe? https://www.catrike.com/villager

An internet search for conversions comes up with a bunch of junk IMO

Nice of you to help out.....keep rolling.

CiclistiCliff
02-27-2018, 09:07 AM
Where are you located and how large a frame would your customer need? While I am not actively trying to sell my trike, I would be more than happy to let him try my trike out so he can see whether it will suit his needs. I say this because trike riding is not as simple as everybody thinks and there is a learning curve that somebody with balance issues might not be able to overcome. At slowish speed it is not an issue but when speeds increase the need to balance becomes quite extreme (often more than on a regular single). Having said that, back in the 70's I had a trike made for my developmentally and balance-challenged neighbor. He loved his trike and quickly became a fixture riding his trike in the neighborhood. He got a good 10 years out of the trike, riding every day.

PS: my trike is 59-60 cm ST C/C

Polyglot,

Great info. The customer is 6’3-6’4ish so yours may work. I’m in the SF Bay Area.

The Catrike seems promising too.

eddief
02-27-2018, 09:12 AM
in normal recumbents and recumbents for special needs:

http://www.baytrailtrikes.com/Home.html

oldpotatoe
02-27-2018, 09:12 AM
Paceliners, I need some help. A long time customer has been diagnosed with a medical condition that has caused him to lose the ability to balance a bike and cycling was always his therapy.

Has anyone seeing or worked on trike conversions for road bikes? He’s not opposed to custom if it allows him to ride again. I’ve seen pictures of conversions but maybe I’m losing my mind.

Help me find a way to get him back on a bike, yeah?

I know a guy who couldn't ride an upright any longer, which meant he couldn't ride a 'trike' either..But he COULD ride a trike recumbent. Remember the below pictured 'trike' still is kinda high up and isn't nearly as stable as a 'bent trike.

CiclistiCliff
02-27-2018, 09:38 AM
I think this is what he has in mind...but this is why I came here to ask questions. I'll have him check out the shop in Berkeley.

The customer was having a really hard time holding back emotion and you can tell it's affected him greatly. Thank you for all the help!

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/480/mcs/media/images/52563000/jpg/_52563209_davidstone466.jpg

bicycletricycle
02-27-2018, 09:45 AM
I have a step through lugged bob jackson trike, sort of medium size probably a 23" frame.

C50
02-27-2018, 10:40 AM
I can't give you too much first hand information but the very first thing I would do is contact Steven Peace. He is a former Naval officer who suffered a stroke and now races his converted road bike into a trike and raced at the 2012 Paralympics and finished top 10 in both the road race and time trial. I am sure he can give all the information you need on road bike conversions and what resources are available. I first became aware of him when I saw a picture of him competing on a saddle and could provide him with one that was a Stars and Stripes special edition that matched his USA Team kit. Very nice guy and I am sure can help with anything you need.

http://www.peacecyclingperformance.com

charliedid
02-27-2018, 10:50 AM
I think this is what he has in mind...but this is why I came here to ask questions. I'll have him check out the shop in Berkeley.

The customer was having a really hard time holding back emotion and you can tell it's affected him greatly. Thank you for all the help!

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/480/mcs/media/images/52563000/jpg/_52563209_davidstone466.jpg

Not for the faint of heart. Easy to dump one of those but they sure are fun in the right hands.

Not what I would look at IMO

Polyglot
02-27-2018, 11:06 AM
Polyglot...got a pic?

Sounds cool...

SPP

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1847094&postcount=27

Polyglot,

Great info. The customer is 6’3-6’4ish so yours may work. I’m in the SF Bay Area.

The Catrike seems promising too.

I live on the East coast near Philadelphia so that will not work

DreaminJohn
02-27-2018, 12:00 PM
I can speak to my Catrike experience since I tried one for my special-needs-son.

I found that I couldn't replicate the "wind -in-my-(now non-existent)hair, look at the sky and believe in a higher power" feeling I have on a bicycle. Part of it is the fact that your riding along the ground. But the main thing is the inability to get it up to speed as on a 2-wheeler. By my inexact calculations the same effort on a Catrike got me about 2/3 the speed of a bicycle.

The former issue also speaks greatly to the safety issue. You're simply not seen on the road, orange flag notwithstanding. Catrikes are a blast on non-technical trails, but only if there's not a lot of traffic that needs to get around your width.

I ended up with a 3-speed Schwinn that's pictured above for my son. It's perfect for the around the block and occasional MUT rides we go on. It can certainly bomb down a hill, just make sure it's straight.

The major downside is transporting the beast. I found that a hitch-mount tray carrier (mine is off CL but from Harbor Freight) works well. Otherwise a TALL SUV is needed.

I wish you much luck on your journey.

-John