PDA

View Full Version : front derailleur issues

ivanooze
02-26-2018, 11:37 PM
I'm currently working on a 2016 cervelo s5 using the 9100 mech. groupset. Everything is going well except for the front derailleur.
-It seems as if the part of the derailleur in which the shifting cable first makes contact with is hitting the frame before the actual FD bolt. In fact, there is quite a gap between the contact bolt and the frame, so much so that the bolt cannot even reach the frame.

-Since there's already contact being made by the FD, is it ok to continue on with the building process? if not, then what are my other options? I've attached a picture illustrating my issue. The part circled in blue is where the FD is making contact. On the right side of the blue circle you can notice a big gap between the FD and the frame.

https://imgur.com/a/jfba5

Kontact
02-27-2018, 02:56 AM
I'm not sure what the issue is, exactly. Do you have the derailleur properly positioned and the main mounting bolt tight or not?

If it is tight, is the circled part (housing stop) just touching the frame, or is it digging in to the paint?

By "contact bolt" do you mean the "Support bolt" from the manual? I would agree that it looks like a long reach and it may not be able to get to the frame, but does that have anything to do with the circled housing stop touching the frame?

So I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but it sounds like you have too issues - the frame is interfering with the housing stop, and the Support bolt might not be able to get to the frame to do its job.

On the first one, I would check with a Cervelo dealer or directly with Cervelo if the 2016 frame is compatible with the 9100 FD. If so, you might not have everything aligned right. If it is not perfectly compatible, you might consider filing part of the circled housing stop off.

If you solve that problem, the Support bolt situation might be improved with the stick on metal pad. If not, you might consider putting a thicker piece of metal in to accomplish the same. Again, I'd talk to someone who knows Cervelos. I used to work on them, but that was before the 9100 FD.

Mark McM
02-27-2018, 09:27 AM
Well, the Cervelo S5 is available as a complete bike with Shimano 9100 front derailleur, so presumably the derailleur will work on this frame.

The support bolt (I think you referred to it as the 'contact bolt') is used to adjust the angle of the derailleur cage. Without the support bolt contacting the frame, the cage would normally be aligned tail inward, and then tightening the support bolt would push the tail outward to align with the chainrings.

If, when you initiallay install the derailleur, contact between the cable guide and the frame causes the derailleur to be aligned tail outward, then you will not be able to properly align the cage. In that case, my best guess is that there may be an alignment issue with the derailleur mounting tab.

If, when you initially install the derailleur, the cage is initially aligned tail inward, then you probably just need a longer support bolt.

ivanooze
02-27-2018, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure what the issue is, exactly. Do you have the derailleur properly positioned and the main mounting bolt tight or not?

If it is tight, is the circled part (housing stop) just touching the frame, or is it digging in to the paint?

By "contact bolt" do you mean the "Support bolt" from the manual? I would agree that it looks like a long reach and it may not be able to get to the frame, but does that have anything to do with the circled housing stop touching the frame?

So I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but it sounds like you have too issues - the frame is interfering with the housing stop, and the Support bolt might not be able to get to the frame to do its job.

On the first one, I would check with a Cervelo dealer or directly with Cervelo if the 2016 frame is compatible with the 9100 FD. If so, you might not have everything aligned right. If it is not perfectly compatible, you might consider filing part of the circled housing stop off.

If you solve that problem, the Support bolt situation might be improved with the stick on metal pad. If not, you might consider putting a thicker piece of metal in to accomplish the same. Again, I'd talk to someone who knows Cervelos. I used to work on them, but that was before the 9100 FD.

1. the FD is as positioned as it's going to get. typically there should be .5-1mm of space at the rear of the cage when installing. the support bolt (when used) makes the rear flush with the chainring. the FD is already flush the way it's setup without the use of the bolt.

2. housing stop is making contact but doesnt seem to be digging into the paint

3.yes support bolt. The support bolt isn't being used at all currently so i'm assuming it's having no effect on why the housing stop is making contact.

4. i was considering the thicker metal option, but i'm not sure if the home depot has metal sheets with a sticky compound on it

ivanooze
02-27-2018, 10:40 AM
If, when you initially install the derailleur, the cage is initially aligned tail inward, then you probably just need a longer support bolt.[/QUOTE]

do they make longer support bolts? well i guess it's just a 2.5 mm allen key bolt, shouldn't be hard to find, but i've never heard of anyone needing a longer support bolt.

-as for the 9100 s5s you speak of, are they the 2016 version? I might actually have to get a thinner mounting tab. I see that there are bolts that hold the mounting tab into the frame, so if they had a thinner one then that might solve the issue

Mark McM
02-27-2018, 01:02 PM
If, when you initially install the derailleur, the cage is initially aligned tail inward, then you probably just need a longer support bolt.

do they make longer support bolts? well i guess it's just a 2.5 mm allen key bolt, shouldn't be hard to find, but i've never heard of anyone needing a longer support bolt.

-as for the 9100 s5s you speak of, are they the 2016 version? I might actually have to get a thinner mounting tab. I see that there are bolts that hold the mounting tab into the frame, so if they had a thinner one then that might solve the issue[/QUOTE]

The 9100 front derailleur instructions call for a support bolt plate to be installed on the frame, so that the bolt does not press directly on the frame. Has this plate been installed on the frame? I believe the plate may be self-adhesive, but it appears to be several millimeter thick, so it will take up some space between the bolt and the frame.

The key question is still whether the derailleur is aligned tail inward without the support bolt contacting the frame. The support bolt can only push the tail outward to align the cage, not inward. If the tail is not inward enough without the support bolt touching the frame, then the derailleur mounting tab may be the suspect.

Kontact
02-27-2018, 02:16 PM
Well, the Cervelo S5 is available as a complete bike with Shimano 9100 front derailleur, so presumably the derailleur will work on this frame.

Unless they changed the frame or the FD mount to accommodate the new 9100 derailleur since 2016.

I just can't tell from the OP whether the circled part is touching the frame or not. If it is, that's going to be a problem. If you can put the support plate between the circled part and the frame, it will do the function of the support screw. Whatever method you use, the derailleur needs to be in the right final spot and not damaging the frame.

ivanooze
02-27-2018, 11:21 PM
I ended up setting the bike up without the use of the support bolt.

I went to a local cervelo dealer and saw they did the same thing