PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Ottrott or go N+1 advice wanted

merckxman
02-26-2018, 08:24 AM
A nice Ottrott ST with F2 fork, 56cm top tube size, was passed on to me. I've sorted out the cockpit and the fit is very good now. The rest of the build is Campagnolo triple 10 speed (Chorus with exception of the rear der which is Record); wheels are Mavic Ksyrium Elite (about 10 year old version). I really enjoy riding it, especially on long solitary rides; extremely smooth and descends like a beast. For fast club rides with lots of climbing I take a carbon bike I have, its build is just better suited.

I have some $ either for an upgrade to the Serotta or go the N+1 route and try something new leaving the Serotta as is. I guess my concern is that if I spend a reasonable amount of $ on a 2x group and new wheels I won't have changed much so maybe having fun with getting started on something new is a better approach.

Fishbike
02-26-2018, 08:40 AM
Well it’s hard to improve upon an Ottrott. But here are a few options.

Keep the Ottrott, put an 11 speed CAmpy group on it with much lighter wheels. Buy a cool / inexpensive frame for the triple and build a fun project.

Keep the Ottrott as is. Buy a very different flavor. Thing is, a modern steel or top tier ti frame is not going to materially improve upon the Ottrott. A fancy schmany Carbon bike may give you a different but not necessarily better experience.

Sell or part out the Ottrott and build a custome dream bike. The ride may not be better, but you can relish in the fun, fit and customization of getting a one of a kind ride.

tv_vt
02-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Let's see: fit is very good, and you really enjoy riding it? Think I'd go with the upgrade. Even a used double chainring groupset could work.
And a nice set of wheels, or two, would make a huge difference.
Ottrotts are keepsake bikes. There was also an F3 fork for sale over the weekend, which would be a nice upgrade, too.

etu
02-26-2018, 10:09 AM
Your current description of the build on the Ottrot suggests that there is a lot of upgrades you can make that can make a noticeable difference in your experience with it - in a good way.
I'd start with nicer wheels.

DRZRM
02-26-2018, 11:55 AM
As you already have a gofast carbon bike you use for group rides, I'd suggest upgrade. Chorus 11x2 group and the lightest wheels you can afford. Maybe as suggested an F-3 fork if one pops up cheap, but that F-2 is nice and fairly light, right?

Ottrotts leave a high bar for their replacement. I'd build it lighter before walking away from it.

cachagua
02-26-2018, 01:28 PM
I have some $ either for an upgrade to the Serotta or go the N+1 route... maybe having fun with getting started on something new is a better approach.

Sounds like you've answered your own question.

Just as you can't be too rich, or too thin, you can't have too many bikes. Of course, you CAN exceed reasonable limits, with any of those -- so the maxim must be tempered with common sense. Like, don't get so many that you start stacking them up in a storage unit you're paying for every month. That's too many.

Take my word. I speak from experience.

macaroon
02-26-2018, 01:39 PM
I'd say upgrading the Ottrott would be a waste of time. It sounds like it's got pretty good kit on it already, spending thousands might save you a pound in weight but that's about it. Only thing I'd possibly consider spending on would be wheels, as if yours are ten years old they might be a bit worn so you could sell them now and replace with some wider hand builts and some wider tyres (if they fit the frame). Nothing fancy, DT350 hubs and DT rims would do, Conti GP4000 tyres.

Spend the rest on a new bike.

pdmtong
02-26-2018, 02:34 PM
you could replace the drivetrain with 2x 11sp but that would be a marginal gain at a non-trivial cost.

replacing 10yo kysriums would be a material gain. those were not particularly notable wheels (I had a pair) replacing with lighter or wider or both will be noticeable in speed and comfort.

if the frame is a keeper, then I would also look at replacing the F2 with a F3. they dont come up often but that fork is a gold standard design.

Jeff N.
02-26-2018, 07:26 PM
Remove the group and wheelset, sell both, and upgrade with DA 9100 and a sweet set of Fulcrum wheels. You're welcome.

jtbooth
02-26-2018, 09:03 PM
Try that out first, then, can you swap our your fast carbon bike wheels on the Ottrott for a test ride or two? See if it changes things for you and makes it more fun.

glepore
02-27-2018, 06:58 AM
Build it as a recovery day bike - quality components, maybe 9000 DA if you're the Shimano type, and a really nice set of wheels-either something like Nemesis or go bling with used Boras or even Lightweights. I did this recently with an old custom frame (Etap and Lightweights) and couldn't be happier.

stien
02-27-2018, 07:01 AM
Keep it as-is or upgrade wheels. No need to make it compete with your other road bike. Wider wheels do ride nicer.

cmg
02-27-2018, 08:06 AM
Just change the crank on the Ottrott to a double and get some go fast wheels. enjoy the ride.