PDA

View Full Version : Moved to Louisville - 6 month report.

BURCH
10-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Hey everyone. Well, it has been a long time since I have been on this board. Last time I really posted on this board was around the time when I asked about Louisville, KY:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=6882&highlight=louisville

Since then, My wife and I have made the move From Connecticut to Louisiville. We moved for my wife's job and I worked out a deal with my company to work out of a home office down here. That has led to a great opportunity to be able to cycle a lot more. No, I don't cheat and ride when I should be working, but I no longer have the hour and half (45 minutes each way) in the car every day on the dreaded I-95 in NY/CT.

Ok, onto Lousville...I can't say enough great things about the town in general. It has so much to offer that you wouldn't realize until you were here (restaurants, culture, sports, and history). I have really gotten a kick out people who come down to visit from the Northeast and fall in love with the city and admit to being surprised.

Anyhow, what I think that you are most interested in is the cycling report. Overall, this is just an awesome cycling town. There are bike shops everywhere and people riding all over the place. All day long I see cyclist passing our house from my office. The downtown area has bike lanes, buses have bike racks, and there is a great park with a wide bike/walk lane all thru it. I have been impressed with the local bike shops and one of my favorites, cycler's cafe, has a cafe where I would go down grab lunch and watch part of the Tour in the summer. While I have not joined the local club yet, I know that they are a very organized and strong in numbers. I have seen groups of about 25-40 riders out on a weekday ride. Tolerance of the motorist has been really delightful. Out of all of my miles clocked in 6 months, I have not been buzzed or honked at once. Most motorist either stay behind you or give you plenty of room when they pass (assuming that you don't bike on a busy morning road during the week). I would give this town an A in terms of cycling. Obviously it is no portland, but there is a strong cycling scene here and I am really enjoying it.

Still exploring the mtn bike options (there are a few), but the road cycling has been so great that I have become more of a roadie again.

Thanks for reading,
BURCH

Too Tall
10-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Daaaang, it's been a while. Welcome back and congrats.

Kevan
10-06-2006, 12:33 PM
on I95. I've noticed a difference.

Careful about what you say about your new town, you might have us all moving down there.

Did the neighbors offer you a tuna casserole? That's the true measure of a quality neighborhood.

Enjoy!

SPINDAWG
10-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Kentucky is a beautiful place.I pass through there on my way to Ohio to attend the festivities at the horseshoe and I am just in awe of all the mountains. I bet your climbing has improved.

ti_boi
10-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Know Louisville very well...(pronounce...Loo-ll-ville....)...and totally agree...great neighborhoods....little pubs....location. ENJOY! :cool:

Endless Goods
10-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I assume you've checked out Lyn's Paradise Cafe? Must do...

http://www.lynnsparadisecafe.com/

Many don't realize Frederick Law Olmstead designed many parks throughout the city, such as Cherokee Park. They're a great resource.

My gf always speaks fondly of her time working in Louisville. Philly is a world away.

My frustration with the East Coast (after 26 years growing up in the Midwest) is that no one has any patience or respect for others when behind the wheel. Everyone turns into an impatient hothead ready to blow. People seem to run red lights here with impugnity. Stop signs? Fugghedabout it!

No wonder car insurance is so expensive here...and why I don't own a car!

rpm
10-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I had a good time in Louisville this past summer racing in the U.S. Transplant Games. The races were in Shawnee Park and were well run. I enjoyed the city and the friendliness of everybody there.

BURCH
10-06-2006, 01:16 PM
I assume you've checked out Lyn's Paradise Cafe? Must do...

http://www.lynnsparadisecafe.com/

Many don't realize Frederick Law Olmstead designed many parks throughout the city, such as Cherokee Park. They're a great resource.

Yes, we have been to and taken some visitors there. Great food and crazy atmosphere.

I had read about Olmstead before we moved here. He was known for developing central park as well as most parks here. We live about half a mile from Cherokee Park in one of Olmsteads neighborhoods. The neighborhood is great with 100 year old oaks lining the road. I ride in cherokee park a lot.

BURCH
10-06-2006, 01:19 PM
I had a good time in Louisville this past summer racing in the U.S. Transplant Games. The races were in Shawnee Park and were well run. I enjoyed the city and the friendliness of everybody there.

Another thing that i noticed here is that all festivals and events are extremely well planned and organized. This town loves their events. I haven't been to Shawnee park yet.

BURCH
10-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Kentucky is a beautiful place.I pass through there on my way to Ohio to attend the festivities at the horseshoe and I am just in awe of all the mountains. I bet your climbing has improved.

There are some hills here but nothing like what you see in the Eastern part of the state where it borders WV. Across the Ohio River from us is Indiana, which is really flat. We do live near the "Highlands" so I am able to do a loop of non stop climbs.

crossjunkee
10-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Check out the Hilly Hundred this weekend in Southern IN. It will change your mind about Indiana being flat. It's also an absolutely beautiful ride!

SPINDAWG
10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
There are some hills here but nothing like what you see in the Eastern part of the state where it borders WV. Across the Ohio River from us is Indiana, which is really flat. We do live near the "Highlands" so I am able to do a loop of non stop climbs.

I live in East Tenn.,we just pass through when my wife gets tickets to her beloved buckeyes.

Still have my fair share of climbing around here though. I live next to the Cherohala skyway and the foothills. I can't get out of my driveway without climbing.My average loop is 60miles with over 5000ft. of climbing and avg. grade of 4%.

I have a teammate that lived in Peduka(sp?) and he loved living in the state.I agree,it's probably the prettiest I've been through.

djcwardog
10-06-2006, 03:24 PM
I lived there for several years - and could go back, who knows... I lived in the Highlands and cycled downtown to work. Look for a great trail down by Jim Porter's that takes you right into the downtown area. The Cherokee/Seneca loop is a great ride with some decent hills - do it in laps for whatever you want for the day... Also, the Bardstown Old Kentucky Home Ride (held annually in September...?) will get you some hills and wonderful scenery.

If you also run, do the triple Crown of Running each spring as part of the Derby Festival.

For history, The Louisville Bicycle Club was the Louisville Wheelmen a hundred years ago, and they were (and remain) strong advocates of cycling. They also hold many club rides departing from near you...

If I go back there, we'll have to link up for some rides.

Ti-Boy
10-06-2006, 07:02 PM
How's the cost of living down there. I'm a fellow mid-atlantic/north easterner (with the standard 3 hour roundtrip commute) and always looking for a cycle friendly next home with a more reasonable cost of living.

mwos
10-14-2006, 06:27 PM
On Memorial Day weekend check out the Horsey Hundred in Georgetown, Ky. It's a 2 day tour of the Ky horse farms in the Georgetown and Lexington area. Very beautiful with the flowers blooming and the foals prancing around. There are barns worth more than most homes and nice rolling hills.

As a former Cincinnatian, Horsey is my favorite ride and worth coming back to the area for.

Kathi

Samster
10-14-2006, 06:44 PM
cities like louisville and st. louis have real charm. i think the first impression many people get is: "they have all the disadvantages of a 'real' city, but none of the advantages..."

quite the reverse imo.

i came to stl from boston and am loving it.

Endless Goods
10-14-2006, 07:04 PM
As a former Cincinnatian, Horsey is my favorite ride and worth coming back to the area for.

Cincinnati?

Skyline! Graeters! LaRosa's! Zips! Putz's Creamy Whip!

Drool...my waistline would never allow me back!