PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Legend vs. IF Club Racer…A test of bikes and riding styles

Bradford
02-25-2018, 09:54 AM
I’m old and getting older every day. Right around age 45, with two small kids, a demanding job, and declining time to put in big days on the bike, I started to think I would prefer something halfway between my touring bike and my Legend. I took too long to do something about it, but then a Club Racer come up in the classifieds and it fit the bill exactly. Now, after enough time on the bike is have an informed opinion, I can conclude that I was right.

Last year, I picked up the steel Club Racer from mistermo, a true gentleman of the Forum. From that point on, most of my riding when home was on the Club Racer. With enough time on the Club Racer under my belt, and with 14 years of so of riding on the Legend, I decided to do a one on one test to see the differences. The bikes have the same wheels and components on them, including same saddle, bars, etc. The only differences are geometry and the Club Racer has GP4000 28’s on it (measure 32 on my spud-built Archetypes) and the Legend has 25’s on it (measure about 27). The Club Racer is also 2 pounds heavier. The test ride is a 17 mile loop, 1,500 feet of climbing, 2/3 pavement and 1/3 packed dirt, and two 45 mph downhills.

The results are as follows:

Club Racer: More enjoyable to ride by far, more comfortable (it feels like it hovers over the ground), much more stable at 45 mph, and when I’m done with the ride, I’m much more likely to tell my wife I had a great ride.

Serotta Legend: It is faster…much faster. Taking an average of rides on both bikes, the Legend is 9.5% faster. And not just because the bike is faster, the bike encourages me to ride much more aggressively. I stand and hammer more, I push uphill more, and I coast less.

The reality is that my riding needs are now more often met by ¾ intensity rides by myself than hammering with the boys. I suspect that a lot of us, as we age and our life changes, would be equally rewarded with a similar bike. A Club Racer, a Strada Bianca, or perhaps something custom built. I really couldn’t be happier with the renaissance in my riding brought new bike with mid geometry and fat tires.

I enjoy riding the Club Racer more, but I still love the legend, so the Legend is sticking around. The size and style is exactly what Clean93T is looking for, but I’m holding on to it because A) sometimes I ride with a group and I want to have a fast(er) option, and B) hammering is fun sometimes, especially on a nice, warm summer day. I haven’t figured which bike I’ll take for long climbing days in the foothills and mountains, so suspect that have some more tests to do when the weather warms. In addition, I could barely hang on Tiretrax’s wheel when we did Ride the Rockies two years ago, I wouldn’t want to be 10% slower and have to see him get smaller in the distance every day. However, I think the Club Racer will get 9 out of 10 rides over the course of the year. I don’t think that would be the right option for aggressive and competitive riders, but I’m past those days now. I’m very lucky to have such choices.

nmrt
02-25-2018, 10:07 AM
That is a great feeling -- that you have two bikes and you love them both while knowing exactly the detailed differences between them. I say this with heartfelt sincerity because I am always chasing new bikes even though I love my current bikes very much. The lure of the unknown consumes me and I drink the marketing kool-aid. Not for all brands for but certain iconic ones -- Colnago, Pinarello etc and I wish I owned them despite me being happy with my current stable.

I wish one day I look at my bikes and feel that no other bikes in the world matter. :)

Thanks for sharing your feelings.

Clean39T
02-25-2018, 11:02 AM
My reactions reading the OP..

Hmmm...yes...yes...YES.......nooooooo!

But srsly, happy for the OP and will second his hat-tip to Mistermo.

If you do change your mind tho, lemme know ;)

tuscanyswe
02-25-2018, 11:08 AM
Why are there no pictures :)

Bradford
02-25-2018, 11:29 AM
My reactions reading the OP..

Hmmm...yes...yes...YES.......nooooooo!

But srsly, happy for the OP and will second his hat-tip to Mistermo.

If you do change your mind tho, lemme know ;)

Next time you are in Denver, the Legend is yours as long as you are here. :banana:

Drmojo
02-25-2018, 11:43 AM
at my age, in the nothing left to prove zone
and
post two broken hips
I still love my speedy bikes: Moots, Kirk, Moser
but
I love “bike larking” so much more on my heavy belt drve 650b machine so much more.
An hour in early morning on mixed terrain is more than enough for me today.
I think my days of long hard fast rides may be over
And that’s OK

Enjoy every ride on every bike my friends!

Clean39T
02-25-2018, 12:28 PM
Enjoy every ride on every bike my friends!

Sage advice at any age :)

Clean39T
02-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Next time you are in Denver, the Legend is yours as long as you are here. :banana:

That may be worth the airfare right there...haven’t been back to Denver/Boulder in years and am seriously missing it these days...

cachagua
02-25-2018, 01:52 PM
The [Legend] encourages me to ride much more aggressively. I stand and hammer more, I push uphill more, and I coast less.

This is a great truth. My Eddy Merckx is like that one -- it eggs me on mischievously, it makes me want to ride like I'm racing even if I'm on the way to the grocery store. My Kirk makes me want to move along snappily but enjoy the scenery. My Ciocc is like a Lipizzaner in a parade -- stately. My Hampsten is a black-leather-jacket badass... et cetera, et cetera.

Is one capital-B-Better than another? Do I like one more than another? Which one would I keep if I could keep only one? Faugh. That's a dead-end line of thinking if ever there was one. I'm ridiculously fortunate to have all these bikes, and that's as far as I care to look into it.

Somebody said "Enjoy every ride". Not much more to say than that.

MattTuck
02-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Reminds me a bit of the telemark skiing motto, "free your heel and your mind will follow". Finding the bike that lets you find new enjoyment from riding is a worthy pursuit.

semdoug
02-25-2018, 03:23 PM
As an aging cyclist pushing 60 I find this post very interesting. I'm curious about the geometry differences between the two bikes.

Is the Club Racer shorter in the top tube and taller in bar height than the Legend?

Over 33 years of serious cycling I find myself with bikes that are shorter, both in tt length and saddle height, but with taller head tubes.

In addition, saddle choice, tire and inflation pressure are more important to comfort than ever before.

Bradford
02-25-2018, 03:38 PM
Is the Club Racer shorter in the top tube and taller in bar height than the Legend?

Yes, to both of those questions, which gets me more upright, less stretched out, and less aero. In addition, the chain stays are longer, which makes it more stable. All three cause it to be slower and less aggressive.

More clearance allows me to run fatter tires, which make it more comfortable and takes away road shock. In many ways, it is halfway between my road bike and touring bike.

The one way it isn't half way is in perception of how I'm riding. When I'm on the touring bike, I know I'm riding slowly. On the Club Racer, I thought I was riding as fast as the Legend, but it was actually significantly slower.

Kontact
02-25-2018, 03:45 PM
If you put a shorter/taller stem on the Legend and 28c tires, what do you think would happen to the comparison, considering that larger tires increase trail as well as smooth the ride?

semdoug
02-25-2018, 04:03 PM
Yes, to both of those questions, which gets me more upright, less stretched out, and less aero. In addition, the chain stays are longer, which makes it more stable. All three cause it to be slower and less aggressive.

More clearance allows me to run fatter tires, which make it more comfortable and takes away road shock. In many ways, it is halfway between my road bike and touring bike.

The one way it isn't half way is in perception of how I'm riding. When I'm on the touring bike, I know I'm riding slowly. On the Club Racer, I thought I was riding as fast as the Legend, but it was actually significantly slower.

Thanks, good to know

Big Dan
02-25-2018, 04:41 PM
Club Racer is a nice riding bike.
All my bikes now are similar geometry.

tv_vt
02-25-2018, 05:12 PM
I will just add that you may be getting older every day, but at 45yo, you do not come close to qualifying as 'old.' Enjoy your middle age while you're living it. You're a long way from Old.

Bradford
02-25-2018, 08:39 PM
If you put a shorter/taller stem on the Legend and 28c tires, what do you think would happen to the comparison, considering that larger tires increase trail as well as smooth the ride?

I tied 28s on the Legend a few years ago and the didn't fit with Pacenti rims. With my old rims the just fit with about a mm to spare, but that is a bit close. On the front (F2 fork), there is about the same clearance, but any irregularity in the tire and it rubs.

I also have the bars as high as they will go on that bike right now.

The way I have the Club Racer set up, the reach isn't that much less, but the height of the bars makes a difference.

Bradford
02-25-2018, 08:40 PM
I will just add that you may be getting older every day, but at 45yo, you do not come close to qualifying as 'old.' Enjoy your middle age while you're living it. You're a long way from Old.

I was 45 when I started to think I could use a change of geometry, but didn't pull the trigger until I was 52. At 52, I have a young heart and mind, but due to too much hockey in my youth, my body feels 10 years older.

Rpoole8537
02-26-2018, 09:12 AM
I have always told my "carbon friends" that my 20 yo Waterford 1200 rides like a luxury car. They don't seem to understand. My Merlin rides like a European sports car, and my CSI is somewhere in between. I'll soon be 63 and had an ablation three years ago that made me think twice about hammering every time I go out. I love to ride my Waterford when I ride with friends who rarely hammer. I live at the base of the mountains in Western NC, so the Merlin feels nice when I spend several hours climbing.