PDA

View Full Version : Regluing base tape after patching tubulars

monkeybanana86
02-25-2018, 01:30 AM
Hello sew up experts,

I patched holes and sewed my tube back in. What glue should I use on the base tape? An old thread mentioned Barge cement and others recommend carpet glue. What's the best current practice? This is for a spare I'm going to cary so it wouldn't be glued back on the rim if that makes a difference.

oldpotatoe
02-25-2018, 06:48 AM
Hello sew up experts,

I patched holes and sewed my tube back in. What glue should I use on the base tape? An old thread mentioned Barge cement and others recommend carpet glue. What's the best current practice? This is for a spare I'm going to cary so it wouldn't be glued back on the rim if that makes a difference.

I use tubular glue..same stuff you glue the tire onto the rim...AND I pull up the minimum amount of base tape when I patch it.

carpediemracing
02-25-2018, 07:01 AM
+1

When I patched I used tubular glue. I know it's not ideal for latex (tubes and the sidewall coating) but it was already a patched tube, it would be a spare or just training (and on the rear), so if the base tape didn't roll then I was happen. Never had a base tape roll after such a fix.

02-25-2018, 10:35 AM
Carpet glue used to be a latex formulation and since base tapes used to be glued on with latex, it worked really well. Unfortunately, carpet glue is now acrylic and base tapes are often vulcanized and otherwise installed with synthetic adhesives. I've used rim cement at times because, hey, it's right there, but it also tends to age faster than the rest of the tire and if you pull the tire off again, it's as likely to pull the tape loose again. I like Barge cement best and have found no reason to choose anything else.

For what it's worth, a good tire repair job should be as solid (if not more so) than the original stitching, and just as even. I don't race a repaired tubular, but I don't have any problem putting it on a training wheel and riding it until it's dead. I have a couple training tubulars with three flats in them and you wouldn't know it without seeing my Sharpie repair record marked on the base tape.

VC Slim
02-25-2018, 11:04 AM
I've always used liquid latex. A cycling specific product was Tire Life which has been replaced by Velo Guard Tire Saver. A cheaper alternative is simple cosmetic liquid latex.

monkeybanana86
02-25-2018, 12:25 PM
Thanks all for the good suggestions and info.

This was my first fix and there were two holes so I pulled more tape than I would do next time. I pulled about a quarter of it!

pbarry
02-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Barge Cement. Probably reasons not to use it, but the basetape doesn't tear away after another puncture near a previous one.