PDA

View Full Version : Forum rules. Why do we break them?

Cicli
02-24-2018, 01:52 PM
It bums me out to see this place have so many locked threads.
I dont think politics or religeon should be discussed at all here. This is a bicycle forum. There are places on the internet for that garbage.
Cant we keep it cycling related? I hate to see good members move on because of this crap.
Mods,
You guys are awesome but I think we need a heavier hand and a zero tolerance for this type of stuff.

makoti
02-24-2018, 01:58 PM
I dont think politics or religeon should be discussed at all here. This is a bicycle forum. There are places on the internet for that garbage.
Cant we keep it cycling related? I hate to see good members move on because of this crap.
Mods,
You guys are awesome but I think we need a heavier hand and a zero tolerance for this type of stuff.

Because there are only so many time friends can talk about wheels, stems, and binder bolts. Because we are a community (more so than any other forum I've been part of, save one), because when crap goes crazy in the world, you want to talk about it with your friends.
The real question is: Why can't we discuss things without people taking it so damn personal? I don't agree with some folks here on some topics & likely never will, but just like in my "real life", I can discuss them.

If we kept this as bikes ONLY - no OT subjects at all, this place would have massive member turnover within a year.

GOTHBROOKS
02-24-2018, 01:58 PM
“silence is golden but screaming is fun” was something i read in the liner notes to the first spice girls cd when i was 10 or 11.

93KgBike
02-24-2018, 02:00 PM
The giro/camelbak thread has unfortunately ignited a sophomoric debate about the the US Const. 2nd amendment. But it began as bike-related, nonetheless.

I'm not going to read or post in it further. But leave paceline because of it? Not me.

bshell
02-24-2018, 02:02 PM
they make it a better forum.

I can always not click (or close a window) on something I'm not into....

ps. Happy to have more information regarding who supports what so that I can vote w/my $.

Cicli
02-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Because there are only so many time friends can talk about wheels, stems, and binder bolts. Because we are a community (more so than any other forum I've been part of, save one), because when crap goes crazy in the world, you want to talk about it with your friends.
The real question is: Why can't we discuss things without people taking it so damn personal? I don't agree with some folks here on some topics & likely never will, but just like in my "real life", I can discuss them.

If we kept this as bikes ONLY - no OT subjects at all, this place would have massive member turnover within a year.

Fair enough. I still dont think this is the place for it. People cant help themselves. I have my beliefs as well, I dont discuss them with people I like. They are mine and I am not budging. I dont need to make enemies out of people I otherwise like.

ftf
02-24-2018, 02:03 PM

This and we live in a purportedly democratic society, shouldn't our institutions mirror this? If we silence anything that we personally disagree with, it will damage our society as a whole. People have to discuss things from a point of commonality, just having random people discuss politics is frankly pointless.

Anyways.

oldpotatoe
02-24-2018, 02:09 PM
“silence is golden but screaming is fun” was something i read in the liner notes to the first spice girls cd when i was 10 or 11.

“Sporty” Spice and I have the same last name....cousin!

FlashUNC
02-24-2018, 02:10 PM
You spend a couple hours in a paceline with guys, conversation drifts all around. Nature of the beast.

nesteel
02-24-2018, 02:12 PM
Fair enough. I still dont think this is the place for it. People cant help themselves. I have my beliefs as well, I dont discuss them with people I like. They are mine and I am not budging. I dont need to make enemies out of people I otherwise like.

I like to think my friends and I are adult enough to discuss topics we have differing views on. It's what spurs debate, and breeds new ideas on compromise. If I just hung out with people who saw everything the same way I do; well that would be incredibly boring.
The difference is; all that take place face to face.
It's incredibly easy to say ignorant, stupid crap across a keyboard.

oldpotatoe
02-24-2018, 02:12 PM
Mods,

If you have ‘zero tolerance’, then don’t participate in those threads. Read or don’t read and ignore...or not. Your choice, not mine and not mods...I view this place as people standing around in groups and yaking...if somebody says something you don’t like, make yer point or walk away...but don’t make rules about what each group can talk about. Imho of course

Tickdoc
02-24-2018, 02:13 PM
I love stirring the pot, and the varying opinions here. Such a nice group of people that know so much in so many diverse areas. I have learned a lot just reading the ot posts.

But...I don’t get bent out of shape when one person has a differing view. You don’t like trump? Fine by me.

You think only electric cars are cool? Fine by me.

You like sram? That’s your problem, not mine.

I know I don’t share the same position as most of you on any number of hot button issues, but I don’t mind hearing your views and I would still love to go for a ride with you regardless.

I always think of my bro-in-law who shut down Christmas dinner early one year because the discussion turned political. I’ve never seen anyone explode like that over differing opinions. Maybe I should admire him for having such strong views when I don’t. I’m passionate about bikes, not politics.

None of this really matters, don’t ya know?

beeatnik
02-24-2018, 02:18 PM
I only know two people who don't share my "progressive" values. They're both cycling pals. Occasionally they post memes which I find distasteful. When I discuss these situations with my wife and friends, they immediately tell me to unfriend them. I'm on the left coast and I've read that my type of "echo chamber" is the norm in Seattle, SF, Boston and NYC. In the middle of the country, it seems there's a different approach to political and religious discourse which mirrors Paceline's policy. Be nice and avoid controversial topics. Short story long, it's easy to believe that people who share a hobby share values. Paceline has helped me accept that in these divisive times, it's crucial to humanize those who hold dangerous, regressive or reactionary beliefs. I mean, I never would have known that nice people who ride bikes believe that cyclists aren't victims when they're terrorized by motor vehicles.

GothB, remember when Baby Spice was the hot one?

Cicli
02-24-2018, 02:19 PM
I love stirring the pot, and the varying opinions here. Such a nice group of people that know so much in so many diverse areas. I have learned a lot just reading the ot posts.

But...I don’t get bent out of shape when one person has a differing view. You don’t like trump? Fine by me.

You think only electric cars are cool? Fine by me.

You like sram? That’s your problem, not mine.

I know I don’t share the same position as most of you on any number of hot button issues, but I don’t mind hearing your views and I would still love to go for a ride with you regardless.

I always think of my bro-in-law who shut down Christmas dinner early one year because the discussion turned political. I’ve never seen anyone explode like that over differing opinions. Maybe I should admire him for having such strong views when I don’t. I’m passionate about bikes, not politics.

None of this really matters, don’t ya know?

My new signature is in this post. Thank you.

gdw
02-24-2018, 02:22 PM
Sometimes people need to blow off some steam when it comes to a current event. We had two threads hijacked by members wanting to discuss the boycott and two started about it before the mods allowed us to discuss it. I think it was a good decision and the last thread ran for longer than most of us probably expected before it went off topic and got snarky. Hopefully we can now move on.

GOTHBROOKS
02-24-2018, 02:43 PM
every blonde girl in my 6th grade class had style like that. now every blonde girl "spices up their life" with some tajin.

Kontact
02-24-2018, 02:54 PM
The most important rules a forum can have is about how we treat each other. No one in the Giro thread called anyone names or implied that someone has no right to an opinion, which is a success compared to too many Paceline threads.

The problem with cycling is that it happens in the real world where we ride on government funded roads with cars, buy bikes made by the company that makes M16s, are affected by legislation that follows party lines and across borders that aren't always friendly. The only forum that is truly going to be able to not wander into the real world is one that only discusses fantasy in the first place.

Going forward, we can ban everything, let mods decide when a thread has gone too far, or ask mods to delete any content that has gotten specifically too far afield to steer the thread on topic. A closed thread is not a sign of the apocalypse, just that the thread has run its course.

Cicli
02-24-2018, 03:03 PM
The most important rules a forum can have is about how we treat each other. No one in the Giro thread called anyone names or implied that someone has no right to an opinion, which is a success compared to too many Paceline threads.

The problem with cycling is that it happens in the real world where we ride on government funded roads with cars, buy bikes made by the company that makes M16s, are affected by legislation that follows party lines and across borders that aren't always friendly. The only forum that is truly going to be able to not wander into the real world is one that only discusses fantasy in the first place.

Going forward, we can ban everything, let mods decide when a thread has gone too far, or ask mods to delete any content that has gotten specifically too far afield to steer the thread on topic. A closed thread is not a sign of the apocalypse, just that the thread has run its course.

I just dont want this place to become RBR. Next thing you know, 11spd will be hanging around. :fight::bike:

echelon_john
02-24-2018, 03:04 PM
I think that there's a lot of heavy ***** going down in the world right now, and we look for people to share/vent/question/analyze with. The level of discourse here is generally very civil, and there are a lot of smart folks here, so IMO it's only natural that there would be some spillover of 'real-world' topics given what we're dealing with outside of cycling, and it's impressive how *most* of the time threads stay civil and on-topic.

beeatnik
02-24-2018, 03:07 PM
There's always Weight Weenies.

All bikes, all the time.

Off topic, a cycling publication was testing/reviewing one of these on the World Famous Montrose Ride Jr this morning:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4742/40463383491_4770ab41db_o.jpg

That fork looks better in person.

Kontact
02-24-2018, 03:14 PM
I just dont want this place to become RBR. Next thing you know, 11spd will be hanging around. :fight::bike:

People like 11spd would be banned after two days on Paceline or any reasonable forum. That's the difference between challenging topics and a lack of decorum.

Polite people can discuss anything without insults or hurt feelings. Some folks can't talk about brake cables without personal attacks.

OtayBW
02-24-2018, 03:15 PM
“Sporty” Spice and I have the same last name....cousin!
So, that makes you Old Spice?!? :banana:

Actually, I think that one of the biggest problems that we have around here (when problems arise) is that some folks just don't know when to quit. They have to grind an argument down like a dog fighting over a bone. Someone asked me long ago: 'You want to be right all the time, or do you want to have friends?' That's my $0.02, anyway...

Kirk007
02-24-2018, 03:21 PM
This topic comes up year in and year out and when all is said and done, the OT survives with mods being able to shut things down at their discretion. We can agree or not on where that line is; I personally would draw it at ad hominen attacks rather that touchy subjects but the line is, as I understand it drawn more at the political question boundary.

Here's why I think it should be expanded not narrowed: We live in the most polarized time that I can ever remember. You cannot go to the comment section of any news, fake or otherwise sight, and have anything close to a reasoned discourse. And yet civil reasoned discourse is the only path out of this mess ATMO. So, where can one go, and have a civil reasoned discourse that isn't an echo chamber?

This forum has always had as a hallmark discussions between folks who by the content of the posts appear to be well educated and informed, and able to articulate intellectual positions in ways that avoid the name calling and blind posturing seen so many other places. In many ways I think of it like Eddie's Diner, which was where the "older" gentlemen of my little home town would gather for coffee and to shoot the breeze. A place where your strongly held opinions may sway someone or you may yourself see the validity of a point of someone who sees the world differently than you do.

From that perspective that I hold, this place has been a place where on occasion discussions of hard issues can be held and one can learn from someone who lives on the other side of the country or even planet, and gain much needed perspective. I appreciate that, very much.

If you don't want to chat though, you can always choose not to hang out in the Diner.

Kontact
02-24-2018, 03:23 PM
Actually, I think that one of the biggest problems that we have around here (when problems arise) is that some folks just don't know when to quit. They have to grind an argument down like a dog fighting over a bone. Someone asked me long ago: 'You want to be right all the time, or do you want to have friends?' That's my $0.02, anyway...

That's only a problem if you feel compelled to read every post. You really don't have to invest yourself in other people's polite discussion. Read a different thread, or skip the posts by people you don't want to read.

Keith A
02-24-2018, 03:24 PM
I think that there's a lot of heavy ***** going down in the world right now, and we look for people to share/vent/question/analyze with. The level of discourse here is generally very civil, and there are a lot of smart folks here, so IMO it's only natural that there would be some spillover of 'real-world' topics given what we're dealing with outside of cycling, and it's impressive how *most* of the time threads stay civil and on-topic.Lots of great points in this discussion, and echelon_john captures my viewpoint. Cycling is certainly what brought us here, but I do enjoy and learn from the OT discussions.

charliedid
02-24-2018, 03:30 PM

All bikes, all the time.

Off topic, a cycling publication was testing/reviewing one of these on the World Famous Montrose Ride Jr this morning:

That is a hell of a contraption.

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-24-2018, 03:30 PM

Dunno which one she was, but that Mel B is still the hot one. Imo.

AngryScientist
02-24-2018, 03:34 PM
one thing we are trying to do, which hopefully has been noticed is to be a little heavier handed towards the individuals who simply can't remember their manners.

as mentioned, 90+ percent of the folks here are well able to engage in civil discourse on topics widely varied, and know how to disagree with someone without stooping to juvenile antics.

it's always a few rotten apples that take certain discussions down the toilet, and we're trying to limit that.

all in all - we've got a good group and things are pretty civil. good work team.

mcteague
02-24-2018, 03:36 PM
Lots of great points in this discussion, and echelon_john captures my viewpoint. Cycling is certainly what brought us here, but I do enjoy and learn from the OT discussions.

My feelings exactly. I've been here for a long time and really appreciate that lots of neat people stick around and have interesting viewpoints on things besides bikes. If we stick to putting "OT" in front of all off topic subjects maybe the OP could just create a rule to hide those posts from is view.

Tim

Cicli
02-24-2018, 03:37 PM
Paceline mods rule.

Now, lets argue about the hottest Spice Girl. :banana:

Cloozoe
02-24-2018, 03:54 PM
Once upon a time, we lived in a country where some people thought it was grand that 2+2=4 and others thought it was a shame that 2+2=4, but a mutual commitment to the reality of 2+2=4 made civilized discussion possible and sometimes even fruitful. Now when I point out to someone that 2+2=4 and how I feel about that and why, they call me names and insist that 2+2=5. I have no interest in talking to or listening to such people, only defeating them. OT is fine with me; political discussions these days are both ugly and futile.

Clean39T
02-24-2018, 03:59 PM

All bikes, all the time.

Good grief, could those drops get any shallower?

Hot looking bike though. RIP American Classic :(

macaroon
02-24-2018, 04:06 PM
Forum rules. Why do we break them?

Because the rules can be stupid ;-)

I thought that topic was ticking along quite nicely....even some gun owners chimed in and I was surprised to see they weren't nut jobs ;-)

beeatnik
02-24-2018, 04:10 PM

It looks very balanced in person. In fact, I think I prefer the lines to others in the segment. Not possible to see in the pic, but the paint has the most subtle sparkle.

Burnette
02-24-2018, 04:13 PM
First of all the OT retirement threads are the bomb! I have learned much from them and they are interesting and even entertaining at times. Just like others have said, even while riding conversations flow into other things.

As far as topics that bring locks, it happens on all forums and the mods here, to their credit, let them roll a but before someone eventually goes full stupid.

And remember you control you, if something is offensive to you don't join, it's simple. It's funny to me that some who complain about some of these OT threads that get locked will have five to eight posts on these threads themselves. They say they don't like them, yet they participate in them regularly and with vigor. So quit that if you don't like them, you're part of the problem.

Lastly, this constant push to change Paceline is just crazy. I go to four cycling forums and this forum, as I have typed before, is as tame as they come. I follow my own advice btw and one cycling forum is so off putting to me that I just quit going to it. They lock threads about bicycles and cycling if just one of them doesn't like the poster or the content. I didn't ask them to change everything for me, I just quit going to the site, it's that simple.

Choose your group you want to hang with but don't expect the group to change everything for you.

Marc40a
02-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Once upon a time, we lived in a country where some people thought it was grand that 2+2=4 and others thought it was a shame that 2+2=4, but a mutual commitment to the reality of 2+2=4 made civilized discussion possible and sometimes even fruitful. Now when I point out to someone that 2+2=4 and how I feel about that and why, they call me names and insist that 2+2=5. I have no interest in talking to or listening to such people, only defeating them. OT is fine with me; political discussions these days are both ugly and futile.

I think the demise of the Fairness Doctrine in the eighties is where this all started. My news sources say 2+2 = 4, your news sources say 2+2 = 5.

People envelop themselves in the media that supports their world view and now they lack the coping skills to deal with contrary information or sources. It disprupts their bubble.

Bob Ross
02-24-2018, 04:23 PM
fwiw the most consistently insightful, elucidating, and genuinely deep political discourse I ever come across on any of the many internet forums I frequent happens on a cycling forum

...just not this one. :banana:

But there's still hope, and, as others have pointed out (or at least intimated) already, it's a lot easier to debate respectfully with the virtual friend whose bartape-wrapping technique you admire than it is with an anonymous stranger.

Marc40a
02-24-2018, 04:26 PM

Hot bike for sure.

Dirt is the new black.

dbnm
02-24-2018, 04:32 PM
I agree with Cicli. I don't care about your opinions on religion or politics.

I do care if you like the color of bar tape I chose on my latest build.

:)

binxnyrwarrsoul
02-24-2018, 04:34 PM

I'm sure I'll like the color of the bar tape you choose on your latest build. As long as it matches the color of the saddle.

cadence90
02-24-2018, 04:35 PM
So, that makes you Old Spice?!? :banana:
Post Of The Thread.

Agree with this; it gets extremely tedious. Fortunately there is the Ignore button.

Paceline mods rule.
Now, lets argue about the hottest Spice Girl. :banana:
No argument, really. The correct answer to that question, always, is of course...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/Travel/leadAssets/29/09/quadrophenia_2909328a.jpg?imwidth=450
:banana:

Kontact
02-24-2018, 04:35 PM

Cicli seems to care a great deal about other people's opinions where he can't just skip reading them.

OtayBW
02-24-2018, 04:36 PM
That's only a problem if you feel compelled to read every post. You really don't have to invest yourself in other people's polite discussion. Read a different thread, or skip the posts by people you don't want to read.
I rest my case.

Clean39T
02-24-2018, 04:37 PM
It looks very balanced in person. In fact, I think I prefer the lines to others in the segment. Not possible to see in the pic, but the paint has the most subtle sparkle.

Oh, I think the bike is gorgeous, I was just surprised at how shallow the drops were, even for a "gravel" bike, if that's what it is..

I do like the bolts on the TT for a little snack-box.

cadence90
02-24-2018, 04:40 PM
Cicli seems to care a great deal about other people's opinions where he can't just skip reading them.

I thought that the idea was to NOT make things personal? :confused:

I rest my case.
Agree.

jamesdak
02-24-2018, 04:42 PM
I think this place is pretty mild compared to a lot of others. I played with a thread last week that went fully political on the second post. I stayed serious and on topic with the few other posters who did. I also played with all those that didn't stay on topic. I lost count of those that chimed in with the dont feed the troll stuff. Even after i clearly said I was playing as long as folks kept going off topic they kept coming in. People cant help themselves. Still people were pretty civil I thought.

As others have said, its just the internet. Don't take it so serious. ;)

beeatnik
02-24-2018, 04:43 PM
No argument, really. The correct answer to that question, always, is of course...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/Travel/leadAssets/29/09/quadrophenia_2909328a.jpg?imwidth=450
:banana:

T, as the kids say SMH. The correct answer is and will always be
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4719/39754249374_a5089ffeed_o.jpg

Cicli
02-24-2018, 04:45 PM
Well, I tried.

cadence90
02-24-2018, 04:54 PM
[photo of Pete Townshend way before the heady Faber & Faber days....]

A, as the adults say, "OK, I'll acquiesce." It's a tie!
;)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b4/fd/e9/b4fde9c4b66bc26a49a0b719d96a05f7.jpg

Oh, and A, that hot new red WordFamousLaufBika you got? Nice, sort of, but definitely needs a few more of these:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32200000/Mod-mod-60s-movement-32259657-500-375.jpg

Marc40a
02-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Cool story, bro.

beeatnik
02-24-2018, 04:58 PM
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32200000/Mod-mod-60s-movement-32259657-500-375.jpg
I could hide about 50 guns on that moped. :banana:

As for the Lauf, I'm still undecided but it would be interesting to own a bike from the land of Bjork. Also, the wannabe architect in me is really drawn to that fork.

ptourkin
02-24-2018, 05:01 PM
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4719/39754249374_a5089ffeed_o.jpg

PW was definitely cooler than the Ace Face.

https://us.hellomagazine.com/imagenes/celebrities/201208078898/bradley-wiggins-paul-weller-party/0-43-865/wiggins-weller-1--z.jpg

avalonracing
02-24-2018, 05:02 PM
I think the demise of the Fairness Doctrine in the eighties is where this all started. My news sources say 2+2 = 4, your news sources say 2+2 = 5.

That's because one source isn't news. It's propaganda.
And you are right about how getting rid of the Fairness Doctrine screwed up so much.

Burnette
02-24-2018, 05:03 PM
I dont really. It pisses me off though that some people are not big enough to leave politics out of things. They just cant help themselves.
I dont agree with everything and curb my responses accordingly.

Here is a bit about me.
I am super conservitave about everything but church. Wont even ride a bike by one. I carry a gun daily and dont like same sex marrage.
This is the only time I have expressed those views here.
Paceline is awesome, mods delete this if it starts outrage.

Please dont quote me. If my post causes this thread to derail I will feel real bad.

Have a nice day.

Hello, my name is Burnette

"Hi Burtnette"

Thank you support group, it's been one day since I rode my bike and I promise to ride it tomorrow.

"Good Burnette"

I'm super live and let live but won't eat at a Waffle House, but ride my bike by one frequently. I wear a watch and don't like same day lending.
This isn't the only time I have expressed these views here.
Paceline is better than most, mods delete this if no humor is found.

Please quote me. If my post causes this thread to derail I won't feel bad at all because it's just a thread on a bicycle forum.

Tickdoc
02-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Well, I tried.

Totally not the quote I was expecting you to embrace, but that is your choice.

Kontact
02-24-2018, 05:14 PM
I thought that the idea was to NOT make things personal? :confused:

Agree.

That isn't personal. Cicli is the OP and I was restating his view as well as referencing what I quoted.

Did you find that mean spirited?

Marc40a
02-24-2018, 05:15 PM
That's because one source isn't news. It's propaganda.
And you are right about how getting rid of the Fairness Doctrine screwed up so much.

The scary thing is when opinion and propaganda becomes popular, they confuse that with legitimacy.

And here we are today.

Bruce K
02-24-2018, 05:19 PM
Let’s try to stay on Cicli’s original thought/question, please.

BK

beeatnik
02-24-2018, 05:20 PM

BK

oops, wrong flicka!
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4721/25594186317_2d29e56da1_o.jpg

Ginger is the hottest SG.

cadence90
02-24-2018, 05:25 PM
As for the Lauf, I'm still undecided but it would be interesting to own a bike from the land of Bjork. Also, the wannabe architect is really drawn to that fork. Have you ridden one anywhere? I'll be interested in your opinion. I have never seen one irl.

PW was definitely cooler than the Ace Face.
Huge, enormous casting miss in that film:

http://alldylan.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Joe_Strummer_1_blur.jpg

Marc40a
02-24-2018, 05:25 PM
You’re right, Bruce.

The ‘OT’ designation for threads works for me.I mean heck, I ignore the “Which midlife crisis car should I buy?” threads.

I thought this was a bike forum and cars were the enemy. One burns money and makes you fat, the other burns fat and saves you money.

cadence90
02-24-2018, 05:41 PM

BK

Fair enough:
Mods, You guys are awesome but I think we need a heavier hand and a zero tolerance for this type of stuff.
I do not necessarily agree with this specific desire, but can understand and accept where Cicli's sentiments come from. I do agree that losing contributing members is often a shame.

As far as I can remember, Cicli has replied and contributed to threads respectfully.

I prefer someone with diametrically opposed opinions to my own but with respect for others to someone who might mirror my opinions exactly but tends to treat others with disrespect.

fa63
02-24-2018, 05:45 PM
Mods, You guys are awesome but I think we need a heavier hand and a zero tolerance for this type of stuff.
The mods are awesome indeed, but at times they are too quick to lock "OT" threads in my opinion. I guess better safe than sorry.

GOTHBROOKS
02-24-2018, 05:46 PM
i really really really wanna zigazigahhhhh

ptourkin
02-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Have you ridden one anywhere? I'll be interested in your opinion. I have never seen one irl.

Huge, enormous casting miss in that film:

http://alldylan.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Joe_Strummer_1_blur.jpg

The coolest man in the history of the world IMO but his acting in the Alex Cox stuff was not good.

cadence90
02-24-2018, 06:03 PM
The coolest man in the history of the world IMO but his acting in the Alex Cox stuff was not good.
Agree, but it's not like AceFace was up for the Academy Award....

Plus, JS could have repped a third, much more interesting tribe, the Mockers.

marciero
02-24-2018, 06:36 PM
You’re right, Bruce.

The ‘OT’ designation for threads works for me.I mean heck, I ignore the “Which midlife crisis car should I buy?” threads.

I thought this was a bike forum and cars were the enemy. One burns money and makes you fat, the other burns fat and saves you money.

Agree in spirit but not sure that last part passes the straight-face test for some of us.

cetuximab
02-24-2018, 10:53 PM
https://www.parttimegenius.show/podcasts/middle-rudeness-epidemic.htm

It is fine to have opinions. But be nice.

This is a great podcast.

I set a goal to be nice.

Part of the divisiveness of our culture is caused by “us vs them” thinking. We should “build on common beliefs” ie find common values.

Kontact
02-25-2018, 03:57 PM
Cicli,

A moderator let me know that post 42 was felt to be insulting to your person. My intention was to mirror dbnm's phrasing to contrast with the difference between "not caring" and "not liking".

I'm sorry if you felt any insult - it was not my intent, nor do I feel you've done anything to warrant any ill will from me or anyone else. I was just trying to discuss the topic in a direct manner.

Again, sorry if you were at all put out.

-Andrew

Cicli
02-25-2018, 04:05 PM
Cicli,

A moderator let me know that post 42 was felt to be insulting to your person. My intention was to mirror dbnm's phrasing to contrast with the difference between "not caring" and "not liking".

I'm sorry if you felt any insult - it was not my intent, nor do I feel you've done anything to warrant any ill will from me or anyone else. I was just trying to discuss the topic in a direct manner.

Again, sorry if you were at all put out.

-Andrew

I dont get insulted easilly. I hate this place to turn into a sh!+show is all.
I curb my tounge on all of my replys. All I know of most people here is what I read here and, there is No need to make enemies out of people I have never met. Religion and politics is why I dont like alot of people. Their view is like having a penis, good for you on having one but if you go waving it around in public, we have a problem.
I didnt call anyone out. Just asked that it be deleted as a whole. Some people are not mature enough to respect the wishes of others and I didnt want it to deteriorate into something unintended.

jamesdak
02-25-2018, 04:14 PM
This is starting to mirror the way the country is. The one percent thinks the world has to change for them versus just moving on and living life....

Cicli
02-25-2018, 04:15 PM
This is starting to mirror the way the country is. The one percent thinks the world has to change for them versus just moving on and living life....

Exactly.

bironi
02-25-2018, 04:19 PM
You spend a couple hours in a paceline with guys, conversation drifts all around. Nature of the beast.

And that is the way it should be. Who wants to talk equipment, accessories, training, etc.... 24/7? That is a recipe for road rage.

jamesdak
02-25-2018, 04:23 PM

Not to mention the rules clearly allow off topic threads.

Gummee
02-25-2018, 04:33 PM
Having a discussion about women/men, sports, religion, and politics is fine AS LONG AS you realize you're not going to change anyone's mind. There's no 'winning' and no 'losing' because everyone has an opinion that matters TO THEM.

I love discussions, and can keep them from affecting my feelings. Some people can't. ...which is when we have problems.

M

holliscx
02-26-2018, 04:07 AM
Lorem ipsum dolor sit

Tony T
02-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Mods,

What about discussions about
- Pool Tables
- the opioid epidemic
- Ski Tuning
- tire chains (for mini-vans)
- Chalk for gym use

All on the 1st page today.

…but, I still think it would be best to just add a new Forum just for non-cycle related discussions. Call it "Water Cooler" of "Coffee House", etc…
There are only 4 Forums (not counting Marketplace and Images), so why not a 5th? (and re-name "General" to "Cyclng")

….