PDA

View Full Version : Omloop Het Nieuwsblad

azrider
02-24-2018, 07:34 AM
anybody else watching? I'd love commentary in English.

This looks promising https://www.fubo.tv/lp/cycling/?irad=361813&irmp=375378

But I think I'd wait for Flanders/Roubaix to do my 7 day free trial :p

oldpotatoe
02-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Here

http://tiz-cycling.stream/

Jad
02-24-2018, 08:02 AM
I have a free trial to Fubo right now, but couldn't find the race--maybe it's a particular subscription for cycling?

Here's one live stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u13m7Ld5sGg

Edit--make that one more live stream

ultraman6970
02-24-2018, 08:05 AM
This one is like 2km ahead of that your tube link :)

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnu/kanalen/een/#

ptourkin
02-24-2018, 08:06 AM

Eurosport UK is still running the raw feed without commentary at 6 am Pacific. Give it a few for English.

echelon_john
02-24-2018, 08:16 AM
Fubo feed is great. Highly recommend.

Ditched cable and switched to Fubo; gets me my NESN (Red Sox), network TV for Patriots games, the Olympics and cycling, all for $55/mo.

Jad
02-24-2018, 08:18 AM
This one is like 2km ahead of that your tube link :)

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnu/kanalen/een/#

Nice, thanks--I'd probably be off the back anyway...:)

echappist
02-24-2018, 09:00 AM
this new course stinks. still altogether

in years past, the race was blown apart 50km from the finish. I used to prefer the Muur/Bosberg finish of RvV (which is what's used in Omloop today), but I now think that the new RvV course is better in terms of encouraging attacks...

echappist
02-24-2018, 09:09 AM

Pay for your service :p

Have been paying for VPN and Eurosport since 2012. Eurosport is $36/year if you use the Irish site. Issue is trying to find a VPN fast enough. Will let you know which I pick.

pinoymamba
02-24-2018, 09:12 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWzJvt5X0AIAXPM?format=jpg&name=small

echappist
02-24-2018, 09:21 AM
GvA doesn't have it today. Who's the best sprinter here? This will get cagey

edit: SVM may be too strong for his own good there

Jad
02-24-2018, 09:28 AM
Has Gva been hamming it up a little? He seems to be where he wants to be, waiting for it.

oldpotatoe
02-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Astana looking good i spite of not being paid...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astanas-situation-is-critical-says-vinokourov/

ducati2
02-24-2018, 09:39 AM
WVA in the lead group.

echappist
02-24-2018, 09:44 AM

Have been paying for VPN and Eurosport since 2012. Eurosport is $36/year if you use the Irish site. Issue is trying to find a VPN fast enough. Will let you know which I pick.

I'm using VPN Nord with Eurosport. Has to be Eurosport GB; they seem to have caught onto the fact that subscription from Ireland could work in the GB (or the Netherlands and a whole bunch of other countries). It's $42/year.

weisan
02-24-2018, 09:45 AM
Good race.

enr1co
02-24-2018, 09:55 AM
Thanks all for the links! Love the Classics season and the Flanders routes!

ptourkin
02-24-2018, 10:00 AM
I'm using VPN Nord with Eurosport. Has to be Eurosport GB; they seem to have caught onto the fact that subscription from Ireland could work in the GB (or the Netherlands and a whole bunch of other countries). It's $42/year.

I use Private Internet Access with my GB subscription and basically had HD TV today. I didn't know they plugged the Ireland loophole but I can still log in to NL or anywhere else for a different stream.

ptourkin
02-24-2018, 10:01 AM
WVA in the lead group.

Was hoping for a Wout Stybar CX showdown out of that group. Oh well.

echappist
02-24-2018, 10:07 AM
I use Private Internet Access with my GB subscription and basically had HD TV today. I didn't know they plugged the Ireland loophole but I can still log in to NL or anywhere else for a different stream.

nope, all gone :(. Can't go to NL or Sweden, or anywhere. Their newest revamp removed it. It was great last year as I could watch Bundesliga from Sweden, Serie A from NL, etc. No more

How's your internet speed to Ireland? I was getting 2 Mb/S from Tunnelbear (which i've used for 5 years) and 8 Mb/S from VPN Nord. GB is better, about 15 for Tunnelbear and 25 for VPN Nord. For a difference of $6/year, i'm paying for the access to the country with higher speed.

ptourkin
02-24-2018, 10:14 AM
nope, all gone :(. Can't go to NL or Sweden, or anywhere. Their newest revamp removed it. It was great last year as I could watch Bundesliga from Sweden, Serie A from NL, etc. No more

How's your internet speed to Ireland? I was getting 2 Mb/S from Tunnelbear (which i've used for 5 years) and 8 Mb/S from VPN Nord. GB is better, about 15 for Tunnelbear and 25 for VPN Nord. For a difference of $6/year, i'm paying for the access to the country with higher speed.

That sucks. I just tried NL and got stopped.

I connect through London and am flying. I just pay the extra two bucks in GBP.
Using Tunnelbear or Hola never worked well for me. I suspect Nord and PIA have similar speeds.

azrider
02-24-2018, 12:05 PM

If I could get a quality feed and every Spring classic I'd gladly pay the $36......let me know what you find !!

fignon's barber
02-24-2018, 12:44 PM
Nice race to start the classic season. Textbook attack and win for Valgren, as they had 3 guys there. Did you see the flags on the finishing street? Super windy day.

MattTuck
02-24-2018, 01:00 PM
yeah, wind really seemed to make the race more conservative.

I have barely been on the trainer at all this winter, so haven't been watching the usual classics in prep for the start of the season... so nice to see some racing happening, even if I had to borrow my wife's laptop, and watch it on youtube after it had been uploaded.

azrider
02-24-2018, 01:03 PM
Poor Sep.......3rd for second year in row

thwart
02-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Replay here: http://tiz-cycling.racing/video/omloop-het-nieuwsblad-2018-full-race/

Great to see the Belgian early Spring greenery... and the Spring races starting; arm warmers and leg warmers for many today.

Clean39T
02-24-2018, 01:52 PM
Replay here: http://tiz-cycling.racing/video/omloop-het-nieuwsblad-2018-full-race/

Great to see the Belgian early Spring greenery... and the Spring races starting; arm warmers and leg warmers for many today.

Just watched that. Racing not to lose decides the winner yet again...

echappist
02-24-2018, 03:05 PM
If I could get a quality feed and every Spring classic I'd gladly pay the $36......let me know what you find !!

I'm using a VPN that has servers in Belgium and Eurosport GB. The GB version is $42/year, VPN cost depends on the length of your contract. I signed up for three years, which averages to be $3.5/month. This will get you every major Belgian classic race. And for those not on Eurosport (can't think of any at the moment), the servers in Belgium allows you to watch Sporza

ptourkin
02-24-2018, 03:06 PM

PIA flies. I have HD TV on Eurosport. There is a two years for $60 sale right now.

carpediemracing
02-24-2018, 07:37 PM
Watching a YouTube post of the last 20k, I was wondering why Astana was allowed to sit in so much with three guys in the break, why no one responded immediately to certain moves (by Astana), why one guy brought two Astanas back into the break, and finally why it was such a long pause before anyone responded to the winning move. Just didn't sit well with me. It wasn't like it was brilliant racing on Astana's part. It felt much more negotiated than that.

FlashUNC
02-24-2018, 09:11 PM
Some guys aren't peaking yet, and some guys may not want to show their cards before the Monuments coming up.

echappist
02-25-2018, 08:56 AM
Matttuck's fav was on TV

MattTuck
02-25-2018, 09:13 AM
Matttuck's fav was on TV

Yes! Apparently, they sell mushrooms out of that... according to Carlton Kirby. Who'd have thought?

:)

nooneline
02-25-2018, 11:39 AM
Watching a YouTube post of the last 20k, I was wondering why Astana was allowed to sit in so much with three guys in the break, why no one responded immediately to certain moves (by Astana), why one guy brought two Astanas back into the break, and finally why it was such a long pause before anyone responded to the winning move. Just didn't sit well with me. It wasn't like it was brilliant racing on Astana's part. It felt much more negotiated than that.

I didn't get that vibe. Astana had their riders on the front going up the Kapelmuur, had both Gatto and Lutsenko driving the group to pull back Vanmarcke and Stybar, and put one of them on the front periodically in the final 10km to chase moves and drive. Valgren Andersen was clearly protected, hovering at the back a lot. They did a ton of work from the Kapelmuur until about 10km to go, and then definitely eased off for a few minutes before doing some rotating attacks.

Once that started, everybody else followed suit, but my initial reaction to those last kilometers was that a lot of riders weren't committing, they were doing these probing 5-pedal-stroke attacks and then looking around hoping that it did something, when obviously it didn't. BUT - it was a big group, that final group... which meant that there were plenty of people to respond to things. And, there was a pretty solid headwind and crosswind for that race, which definitely put a damper on things. MVA attacked after a few of those jumps and looks, and when he went, he went all in at a time when everybody else pretty well signaled that they weren't too sure about their ability to get to the finish line.

Plus it's Het Nieuwsblad. It's still early for riders' fitness, which always leads to some surprises - like Lampaert cracking right when he and Wisnowski bridged, like everyone in that move being too tired to do any serious attacking and them getting reeled in in the final kilometer.

When it came down to it, Astana were strong enough to put 3 guys into the winning move and kept one fresh enough to launch a decisive attack after plenty of dig-and-look racing in an early season race when strong riders aren't at their best.

carpediemracing
02-25-2018, 08:34 PM
I didn't get that vibe.

< race report >

This makes a difference. I watched a clip that showed the final 20km while on the trainer and Astana were so quiet it took me a while to realize that there were three of them there in the break. It didn't help that the announcers weren't say much about them at all (foreign language so maybe they were but not actually saying "Astana"), they kept talking about GVA etc. I had my eye on the Belgian National Champ guy, he looked so strong at the beginning of the clip and the right person to win that race based on the exact reasons why the stronger riders may not have won. The race is not quite so important for the others, it was Belgian National Champ, and such guys would focus on this race and maybe not as much on others.

nooneline
02-25-2018, 09:09 PM
ha. yeah, exactly... one of the things i notice about omloop and similar races is that big dawgs can have these flashes of brilliance that they kinda can't follow through on sometimes. i don't have any specifics to back it up but this edition was a good example. any other race and 15km from the line, going up kapelmuur, vanmarcke and stybar are away together? that's staying away. same goes for a lot of those digs that were taken, including by naessen, the belgian champ.

but it's february. they can do the big things not the long things. and so we're left with that group of 12ish that's just disorganized because the fitness is so all over the place. some people can get into that group but do nothing else, others made the group and tried to ride away from it but found they can't, and the result was that there was so much coasting so much that they're caught by the field in the final km.

RobJ
02-25-2018, 09:17 PM
PIA flies. I have HD TV on Eurosport. There is a two years for $60 sale right now.

I have PIA and have had good service. Didn’t have time to watch today but never a problem. Who has the sale - PIA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk