PDA

View Full Version : Gluing rubber to carbon fibre...what's the best glue/epoxy?

jasonification
02-23-2018, 05:51 PM
Local cobbler chucked me some leftover sole when I was trying to get ideas on what to do to make the heel of my cycling shoes less slippery. Any ideas on the best adhesives and techniques to use?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

bicycletricycle
02-23-2018, 05:55 PM
contact cement

wallymann
02-23-2018, 06:40 PM
Cobblers use "barge" contact cement. I personally would use a flexible 2-part marine epoxy.

Jmq4
02-23-2018, 06:50 PM
I’ve used barge cement for Birkenstock soles, rubber to cork, and leather to leather. I fixed a pair of my daughters shoes with it, a really small strap glued to an edge, and didn’t think that it would last. It’s still together after almost 9 months.

ultraman6970
02-23-2018, 10:06 PM
HOw tick is the thing you want to glue??? there is a reason shoes have the heel thingy glued and with a screw aswell.

steelbikerider
02-23-2018, 10:35 PM
I have used silver duct tape to great effect before - 2 layers, trim to fit, replace when necessary in less than 5 min.

dddd
02-23-2018, 10:47 PM
Shoe Goo, basically made for this application.

02-23-2018, 11:38 PM
If you ever, ever want to get it off again, as when it wears down and you want to replace it, Barge lets you do that. ShoeGoo does not. Just warning you. Barge is what any shoe repair shop will use and it works very well, yet you can also peel the rubber off with a pair of pliers if you need to.

jasonification
02-24-2018, 12:44 AM
If you ever, ever want to get it off again, as when it wears down and you want to replace it, Barge lets you do that. ShoeGoo does not. Just warning you. Barge is what any shoe repair shop will use and it works very well, yet you can also peel the rubber off with a pair of pliers if you need to.This sounds super promising! Thanks!

oldpotatoe
02-24-2018, 07:20 AM
Local cobbler chucked me some leftover sole when I was trying to get ideas on what to do to make the heel of my cycling shoes less slippery. Any ideas on the best adhesives and techniques to use?

ShoeGoo instead of gluing rubber on?

Ooops, answered above..

dddd
02-24-2018, 03:37 PM
ShoeGoo instead of gluing rubber on?

Ooops, answered above..

I forgot there what Shoe Goo is supposed to be used for, building up the sole, but I have always used it as an adhesive for shoe soles, especially cycling shoe soles. It has never failed me, but it does need a day or two to dry and reach full strength when it is sandwiched between two materials.

Shoe Goo is a tenatious adhesive when used on prepared surfaces, I scrape the surfaces with Shoe Goo to prime the surfaces for max adhesion. You might later need a belt-sander to remove or level a worn heel pad that needs a re-do.

One big advantage of barge cement is that it holds the parts in position upon contact, while Shoe Goo requires clamping and considerable set-up time.