PDA

View Full Version : Shimano/SRAM compatibility question

msl819
02-22-2018, 09:01 PM
Will Shimano 6800 shifters play nice with a Force rear derailleur since all the rear mech is is cable and spring tension?

foo_fighter
02-22-2018, 10:00 PM
Nope won't work. The pull ratios of the mech and the lever have to match and these don't.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2018, 07:34 AM
Will Shimano 6800 shifters play nice with a Force rear derailleur since all the rear mech is is cable and spring tension?

No...shimano 11s stuff is compatible only with shimano 11s stuff(ders and shifters)...yes DA/ultegra/105 between them but not with any other makers stuff.

The rear rder dimensions are such that when matched to the cable spool in the shifter, moves the rear der the proper 11s spacing..shimano is different than sram which is different than Campag even tho all are '11s' spaced cogsets.

Cicli
02-23-2018, 07:37 AM
Please, put down the sHram and step away. To anything.

batman1425
02-23-2018, 07:39 AM

More to it than that. The geometry of the parallelogram link in the rear der determines how much cable pull will be required to move the der the right amount to execute the shift. Shifters and der are designed in tandem - the right pull from the lever with the right geometry in the rear der to translate that input into a correct shift.

The JTek shiftlink is a way to get around this in some situations. The pulley alters the cable pull ratio of the shifters to allow for some combinations of miss matched components. Unfortunately, a Sram Shifter to Shimano Der isn't a compatibility a JTek can accommodate.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2018, 07:40 AM

Tee hee..yup, just get a shimano 11s rear der and be done with it..:)

msl819
02-23-2018, 07:43 AM

For the time being the SRAM is paid for and available. The reason I was asking the original questions was to start slowly moving to Shimano. I’ll keep as I’d and save for a whole groupset.

glepore
02-23-2018, 08:54 AM
You'd also have issues with the brakes feeling like garbage. Pull is different there too.