PDA

View Full Version : Frame Pumps...and CO2! [emoji6] (Weisan-Pal!!!)

PNW
02-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Considering grabbing a frame pump for my Moots but wanted to get some opinions from others here. I don’t care about the additional weight that will be added and feel if I have a flat, this would be the easiest way to take care one.

Pros? Cons? Would love feedback from those who use them or have in the past.

Clean39T
02-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Considering grabbing a frame pump for my Moots but wanted to get some opinions from others here. I don’t care about the additional weight that will be added and feel if I have a flat, this would be the easiest way to take care one.

They are nice, but can mar the finish on your frame pretty easily, rattle, etc..

An in between solution would be to get a tiny pump for your saddlebag/pocket, and carry a CO2 cartridge...that way you have a backup if needed.

I just got a Silca Impero mini-pump bc I had a stranded credit. It looks pretty awesome. And I hope I never have to use it.

bironi
02-21-2018, 12:27 PM
PNW,
I too have a Vamoots and I am using a Zefal frame pump. With your ti frame you need not worry about marring the finish. I love the Zefals. Resonably priced, efficient and very well made. It's also a very popular accessory with your riding buddies. Been using Zefals since the 80s.
Byron

Clean39T
02-21-2018, 12:44 PM
PNW,
I too have a Vamoots and I am using a Zefal frame pump. With your ti frame you need not worry about marring the finish. I love the Zefals. Resonably priced, efficient and very well made. It's also a very popular accessory with your riding buddies. Been using Zefals since the 80s.
Byron

Well, actually, the satin finish does mar and look shiny when things rub on it over time...

But yeah, frame pumps are nicer to pump in general - there are just many other options at this point, so it's more of a style choice than anything.

Tubular vs. Clincher
Campy vs. Schram
Carbon vs. Alloy
Friction vs. Index
SMP vs. Everything Else
Threaded vs. Threadless
Paper vs. Plastic

:fight:

Sand, Foam, whatever - just party!

:banana::banana::banana:

bironi
02-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Those spots where rubbing may occur can be dealt with easily. I have been riding the Moots since 2005.

weisan
02-21-2018, 12:55 PM
go for it.

doesn't have to be expensive, blackburn, zefal, even the old school Silca, they all worked and get the job done.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=200764

http://alicehui.com/bike/silca/IMG_6923.JPG

Clean39T
02-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Those spots where rubbing may occur can be dealt with easily. I have been riding the Moots since 2005.

I thought the satin finish had to be sent back to Moots for blasting to restore it? Regular bare titanium is super easy, but my Moots CR had a bunch of spots with rub marks that I couldn't do anything with..

Of course, some people care more about riding their bikes than looking at them - and I should probably hang out with those people more! Bit OCD and roadie myself...

FlashUNC
02-21-2018, 01:04 PM
The new Silcas are the jam.

R3awak3n
02-21-2018, 01:07 PM
I never had a frame pump damage the finish on my bike.

That said I am ok with it doing so, I know some people are picky about their bikes though and if so then just put one of those frame protector stickers where the frame pump touches.

Also the impero is actually pretty well designed and has soft rubber where it touches the frame.'

However, it is a very overpriced just ok frame pump. I like mine but I got it for a good deal. The Topeak master blaster is just a better pump and costs $20. Sure its ugly but it works great.

I will never not have frame pump, I hate pumping tires with a mini pump and CO2 cartriges too much of a hassle and a waste for me.

zennmotion
02-21-2018, 01:17 PM
I rode with a topeak frame pump under the top tube of my Ti bike for years, no noticeable finish issues at all. If you don't have a pump peg on the Moots, do what I did- affix a piece of velcro cut to size in a little circle to fit on the handle end of the pump with the hook half glued behind the head tube (the sticky glue already on the velcro doesn't last long so I used silicone glue which does the job permanently and the glue residue will come off with a little acetone, no harm to the bike, Ti or painted steel/Alu). My pump had a tight fit but the velcro held in place and I didn't even need a strap to secure it in place even on rough roads. I have multiple Topeaks, new Silca Impero (painted to match my custom frame so resistance was futile) a couple old vintage Silcas, a Zefal Hpx, and a Blackburn. All work well. The new Silca Impero is the most elegant, but the Topeak is significantly lighter, fraction of the cost, works just as well, and looks good on a Ti bike, so get the Topeak RoadMaster. And do the velcro thing!

572cv
02-21-2018, 01:26 PM
At NAHBS, there were many bikes with painted-to-match frame pumps. They looked rather slick. There was even at least one anodized Ti frame where the builder had replaced the tube on the frame pump with Ti and anodized that to match. Yikes.

Plum Hill
02-21-2018, 01:35 PM
First off, do you have a pump peg on the bike. That simplifies everything.
If not, you’re going to have to use a universal peg (plastic peg on a plastic hose clamp-type affair).

I use Zephal HPX pumps. I cram the biggest one into the frame that will fit. That keeps the rattling down and eliminates inadvertent pump drops.
If it does vibrate against the frame, I’ve used a rubber O-ring around the pump handle.

A piece of clear helicopter tape case be used to protect the frame where the pump end nestles. I have had decals damaged if the pump rests on them. I don’t think that would apply to a Moots.

With a bit of luck, you’ll never need the pump.

Ken Robb
02-21-2018, 01:42 PM
When I use a frame pump I use a small tape/strap that is secured by velcro at each end of the strap (not stuck to the frame).

djg21
02-21-2018, 01:58 PM

I have no need to reinvent the sport of cycling, and am happy to no longer need to carry a frame fit pump. CO2 cartridges are far more convenient, and spent cartridges can be recycled. The Silca inflator is pretty slick (https://silca.cc/products/eolo-iii-co), and CO2 cartridges can be bought cheaply in bulk on eBay. Carry a couple cartridges, an inflator, a couple tubes, and a patch kit in a saddle bag and you’ll pretty much always make it home.

Seramount
02-21-2018, 02:03 PM
used a Zefal HP for many years...was a good pump.

filled tires to 100 psi quickly.

stopped to help a stranded rider who had flatted and loaned it to him to air up...he promptly went gorilla-mode and bent the shaft. no good deed going unpunished and all...

didn't replace it and went CO2. haven't had any regrets and don't miss the frame pump.

hmai18
02-21-2018, 02:08 PM
If you're that worried about marring your frame, slap a few pieces of helicopter tape where it makes contact with the frame and replace when/if necessary.

enr1co
02-21-2018, 02:08 PM
Decided i no longer wanted to be part of the problem to adding unused CO2 cartridges to the environment. I carry a lezyne mini on my plastic bike but this ~20 yr old blackburn aluminum blows its away-pun intended ;)
It leaves some barely visible marks that can easily be wiped off if needed.

Clean39T
02-21-2018, 02:24 PM
Decided i no longer wanted to be part of the problem to adding unused CO2 cartridges to the environment. I carry a lezyne mini on my plastic bike but this ~20 yr old blackburn aluminum blows its away-pun intended ;)

If I carried a pump like that it’d be dead from water/road-slime before I ever got to use it...

And that’s one of the biggest reasons I don’t use frame pumps or frame-mounted mini-pumps.

I’ve gone through two C02 cartridges in the last 5K miles.

PNW
02-21-2018, 02:25 PM
Think I found the answer and will do co2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghammer
02-21-2018, 02:27 PM
Finally, someone who rides with a real pump, carrying it old-school no less. Well done. I learned how to put my pumps like that when I was 16 (am 44). Had those plastic Silca numbers from back in the day, but very handy to place them on the rear triangle. It's just as safe, it's a hand pump, and stays there tight enough to survive cobbles/gravel/dirt/bumpy pavement. I currently have a blackburn too. Very neat.

Clean39T
02-21-2018, 02:32 PM

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/blackburn-airstik-2stage-mini-pump?v=7548621&adl=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzrTUBRCnARIsAL0mqczj3BtX85cjLZ8Zz239 allDIcGOCU2ExfTT7JdDmavLCgRX1d-cKCgaAlTwEALw_wcB

I carry one of those as my C02 backup - in a ziplock, in my jersey pocket.

semdoug
02-21-2018, 02:42 PM
I have been using pump straps from Zefal. They are small Velcro straps with a piece of foam attached. The foam goes between the pump and frame tube with the Velcro portion wrapped around the frame securing the pump. No need for a pump peg and they eliminate rattles. Not sure if they are still sold though.

chiasticon
02-21-2018, 02:44 PM
why did you decide on co2?

frame pumps are my preferred option, simply because then you always have air. and they weigh as much as a couple co2 cartridges with an inflator anyway. the silca one is awesome and the most elegant option. the topeak one works slightly better, but both are sufficient. with the topeak one, I glue a rubber washer to the plastic end and the little switch on the handle. that way, anything contacting the frame is rubber, so no scratching. works great on several bikes, painted as well as various Ti finishes (including Moots).

chiasticon
02-21-2018, 02:45 PM
I have been using pump straps from Zefal. They are small Velcro straps with a piece of foam attached. The foam goes between the pump and frame tube with the Velcro portion wrapped around the frame securing the pump. No need for a pump peg and they eliminate rattles. Not sure if they are still sold though.this thing?

https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-Doodad-Plus-Bicycle-Strap/dp/B000AO3FTE

PNW
02-21-2018, 02:45 PM
why did you decide on co2?

frame pumps are my preferred option, simply because then you always have air. and they weigh as much as a couple co2 cartridges with an inflator anyway. the silca one is awesome and the most elegant option. the topeak one works slightly better, but both are sufficient. with the topeak one, I glue a rubber washer to the plastic end and the little switch on the handle. that way, anything contacting the frame is rubber, so no scratching. works great on several bikes, painted as well as various Ti finishes (including Moots).

I don’t want my frame marked up at all..I was looking at the one Moots sells on their website. It’s not bad and $165. I only worry about the marking.

superbowlpats
02-21-2018, 02:50 PM
I have no need to reinvent the sport of cycling, and am happy to no longer need to carry a frame fit pump. CO2 cartridges are far more convenient, and spent cartridges can be recycled. The Silca inflator is pretty slick (https://silca.cc/products/eolo-iii-co), and CO2 cartridges can be bought cheaply in bulk on eBay. Carry a couple cartridges, an inflator, a couple tubes, and a patch kit in a saddle bag and you’ll pretty much always make it home.

Same for me. It seems like lots of folks on the forum use frame pumps. I did a long time ago before C02 cartridges were available. I only ride a modest amount (5k miles a year) and get on average 2 flats a year. But most of my rides are short (under 40 miles) so maybe if you riding multi-day / long distances there's a need? do people like the way the look?:confused:

Seramount
02-21-2018, 03:10 PM
do people like the way the look?

always thought a frame pump was an eyesore. it's the principal reason I opted to go CO2.

and as far as an objection to CO2's env impact, the cylinders are steel and can be recycled.

altho I occasionally see them discarded on the roadside by some slob, always stop and pick them up. rarely have to ride more than a mile or two before finding a recycle bin to put them in...

djg21
02-21-2018, 03:22 PM
Same for me. It seems like lots of folks on the forum use frame pumps. I did a long time ago before C02 cartridges were available. I only ride a modest amount (5k miles a year) and get on average 2 flats a year. But most of my rides are short (under 40 miles) so maybe if you riding multi-day / long distances there's a need? do people like the way the look?:confused:

I used to have a Silca pump with a heavy Campy head decades ago, when I also rode tubulars. (Like I said, I have no need to reinvent the sport). The only thing the Silca was good for was self defense: the campy head swung on the end of the pump was capable of destroying an auto windshield and leaving huge welts on the body of any attacker. Otherwise, the shafts would blow out of the pump bodies from the pressure in the tires and they were a pain in the ass to use.

I am vigilant about carrying spent CO2 cartridges home and putting them in the recycling bin. I hate seeing the things on the side of the road.

pdmtong
02-21-2018, 04:09 PM
How much do you flat?

I carry a mini-pump in my jersey to stage the tube for installation and then continue pumping with it until I can't. From there, CO2 finishes the job.

Make sure you practice using your CO2 set up a few times at home so you know how to get a good seal on the valve and avoid losing all your gas or worse, freezing the valve stem and then tearing it off the tube.

silca premio: spare tube, two CO2 cylinders, CO2 head, patches/glue, glueless patches, tire levers, surgical glove, paper towel.

weisan
02-21-2018, 04:41 PM

PNW pal, do you mind going back and changing the title of your thread to "CO2s!" :D

rnhood
02-21-2018, 04:48 PM
I like CO2 also. Definitely the way to go imho.

weisan
02-21-2018, 04:49 PM
PNW pal, do you mind going back and changing the title of your thread to "CO2s!" :D

Thank you for responding to my request.

One minor correction: it's "weisan-pal!!!"

Clydesdale
02-21-2018, 04:49 PM
I carry a small Lezyne pump attached to the water bottle bosses and a co2 cartridge in my bike bag. Only had to use the pump once or twice but it gets the job done pretty well for a small pump.

R3awak3n
02-21-2018, 06:27 PM
I don’t want my frame marked up at all..I was looking at the one Moots sells on their website. It’s not bad and $165. I only worry about the marking.

If I was you, I would not even take the frame out the house.

pdmtong
02-21-2018, 06:34 PM

exactly... I didnt even put clear on my Moots where the cable housing rubs...

figured if anything got bad it just goes back to moots for a re-blast.

PNW
02-21-2018, 06:42 PM

Hahaha you know what I meant! I baby my equipment so nothing wrong with that.

chiasticon
02-21-2018, 06:44 PM
I get it. it looks incredible now and wasn't cheap. but they wear quite well.

to me, half the reason to go Ti is because they wear so well and always look beautiful. that's why both my cx bikes and my MTB are Ti.

SpokeValley
02-21-2018, 06:46 PM
PNW,
Byron

Ditto this. I use a Zefal on my Legend Ti and I can change and air a flat as well as anyone with CO2. And no empty CO2 carts to dispose of. :rolleyes:

FlashUNC
02-21-2018, 07:29 PM
Used a Silca with my lobster for a couple years now. All the parts that touch the frame are rubber and don't leave a mark at all.

Carry more CO2 canisters than you think you'll need. Not 1 or 2. You learn the hard way one shot means one shot with those things.

donevwil
02-21-2018, 07:39 PM

Official FP-1 hoarder approved!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697913726&d=1453314445

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697896604&d=1426094969

yashcha
02-21-2018, 08:20 PM
One of the nicest gifts I have ever received in my life was a Silca Impero pump for my 333FAB. That pump is so well made, and to me, a training bike looks incomplete without a frame pump.

Unfortunately I am so used to having a pump on my 333FAB that when I use a different bike, I end up with that dreaded realization, an hour into the ride, that I forgot my pump.

Speaking of frame pumps, I always think of my favorite rider Oscar and his frame pump skills.

hmai18
02-21-2018, 09:10 PM
FWIW: I used to ride with the most minimal chuck Lezyne makes (http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-infl-triggerdrive.php#.Wo4yuhPwYUE) with a 12oz Co2, but also carried a Road Drive (small) (http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-rddrive.php#.Wo4yjRPwYUE) because I was paranoid about being stranded if I used the cartridge and ended up double flatting. I'm also sure we've been on a ride where somebody bungles it when trying to inflate using Co2 or forgets their flat kit, or whatever and had to come to the rescue.

When I commissioned my custom steel roadie, I had them paint a frame pump to match. Because my inner weight-weenie never died, I decided I'd weigh the difference between the single co2/Lezyne mini pump combo and my medium-sized Topeak Road Morph.

72 grams. Less than 2 gels, or a single bar. That difference shrinks even further or even flips the other way if you're carrying 16oz cartridges or multiples.

For that, I get the peace of mind of knowing that I have an in-exhaustible source of air that's not going to blow my shoulder out trying to get a tire up to road pressures and no need to worry about waste/recycling.

The Silca Impero looks sweet and I'm sure it's a quality product. If you have the dinero, have it painted to match. Otherwise, black goes with everything. On the other hand, you could get a less expensive Topeak/Zefal/Blackburn painted to match for less than the cost of a stock Impero.

https://i.imgur.com/rOgBiRsh.jpg

enr1co
02-21-2018, 11:59 PM
Official FP-1 hoarder approved!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697913726&d=1453314445

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697896604&d=1426094969

Good looking frames going with those pumps!

Clean39T
02-22-2018, 12:12 AM
FWIW: I used to ride with the most minimal chuck Lezyne makes (http://www.lezyne.com/product-CO2-infl-triggerdrive.php#.Wo4yuhPwYUE) with a 12oz Co2, but also carried a Road Drive (small) (http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-rddrive.php#.Wo4yjRPwYUE) because I was paranoid about being stranded if I used the cartridge and ended up double flatting. I'm also sure we've been on a ride where somebody bungles it when trying to inflate using Co2 or forgets their flat kit, or whatever and had to come to the rescue.

When I commissioned my custom steel roadie, I had them paint a frame pump to match. Because my inner weight-weenie never died, I decided I'd weigh the difference between the single co2/Lezyne mini pump combo and my medium-sized Topeak Road Morph.

72 grams. Less than 2 gels, or a single bar. That difference shrinks even further or even flips the other way if you're carrying 16oz cartridges or multiples.

For that, I get the peace of mind of knowing that I have an in-exhaustible source of air that's not going to blow my shoulder out trying to get a tire up to road pressures and no need to worry about waste/recycling.

The Silca Impero looks sweet and I'm sure it's a quality product. If you have the dinero, have it painted to match. Otherwise, black goes with everything. On the other hand, you could get a less expensive Topeak/Zefal/Blackburn painted to match for less than the cost of a stock Impero.

https://i.imgur.com/rOgBiRsh.jpg

Your arguments are mighty convincing - maybe I’ll try a frame pump on my next one that’s got a peg.

I did carry a Park frame pump and used the strap with the rubber/foam back in the day...

Clean39T
02-22-2018, 10:13 AM
http://theradavist.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/2018-NAHBS-Chapman-Cycles-Randonneur-1.jpg

Split the difference?

Mzilliox
02-22-2018, 10:28 AM

exactly...

PNW
02-22-2018, 11:19 AM
exactly...

Very constructive! I'd love to hear your input on frame pumps/co2!

Mzilliox
02-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Very constructive! I'd love to hear your input on frame pumps/co2!

There's only so much sage wisdom when it comes to inflating tires. My input? i guess i dont really have any. On 2 bikes i have frame pumps, on 2 bikes i don't. if i use clinchers i bring a mini pump and spare tube with lever. its weird to bring patches to me, im not gonna patch a tube roadside unless on multi day touring. just bring a new tube. it all fits in a small seat bag or my jersey pocket.

If im on tubulars i use the same kit, but swap the tube and lever for sealant and co2. Ive never used the CO2 roadside, only testing in the barn.

i really dont think any of this matters at all. i dont think marring your finish is a good reason NOT to use a frame pump, and i dont think weight is either. Frame pumps certainly work better than the other options, which is why they are on my rigs that go far. mini pumps can only inflate so much pressure, like maybe 70psi, no matter what they say they can handle. and it takes forever. CO2 is hilarious, i love watching people try to inflate their flat tires with Co2, its never smooth.

so pick one and learn how to do it fast.

R3awak3n
02-22-2018, 01:43 PM
I had a mini pump for a while, did not have many flats, thought it was great. For years I had flats close to home on the way back (luck?), mini pump was enough to just get me home.

Then there was this day, I decided to go out in 100 degree weather, also decided to do the longest ride I had ever done, also was very hard to stay hydrated and to top it all, I left the house way to late.

So the sun is going down and 25 miles to get home I get a flat. At this point I am so tired, was bonking so hard could not even see straight. Its ok... I gonna get this going. So there I am pumping this mini pump 150 times, my arm felt like it was going to fall off. Then road 25 miles on a mush rear tire... and then the horror... another flat... 15 miles to go. Repeat the process.

From that day on I decided there has got to be a better way. I tried CO2 but not only they cost money, are a waste of earth resources to fabricate and dispose on but it was just weird to me (I do admit that in that specific case, CO2 would have been the best and easiest way to inflate the tire). I bought myself a topeak master blaster. Tried it at home, I can get a tire to desired pressure within 60 pumps or so, its amazing.

Add to that, I love the way frame pumps look. I have never left the house without a frame pump since that day. When I get a flat, I am annoyed but not the end of the world anymore.

Cloozoe
02-23-2018, 01:53 PM
T... CO2 is hilarious, i love watching people try to inflate their flat tires with Co2, its never smooth.

On the one hand I'm an old guy and have a soft-spot for some old stuff (Italian steel bikes; bamboo fly rods) both aesthetically and functionally.

On the other one, I'm not inherently opposed to new stuff.

I've got this little adjustable valve silver inflator; the little inflator works like a champ; I carry three small Co2 cartridges with me; contrary to what I was warned about on the interweb, I've had to use, say, seven of them over the last couple-three years and none was a dud -- I'd say the odds that I'd be carrying three duds (and I only need one to work for ample inflation to get home) are small.

The little silver tool and the three cartridges weigh much less than a pump and take up far, far less space. But the best part is that after I've gotten the new tube in, the tire seated, and the wheel remounted, I'm roughly 30 seconds tops from being inflated and back on the road. Works so slick and easy I smile a little every time I do it.

Mzilliox, you apparently hang out with some truly inept people.

Clean39T
02-23-2018, 02:17 PM
On the one hand I'm an old guy and have a soft-spot for some old stuff (Italian steel bikes; bamboo fly rods) both aesthetically and functionally.

I've got this little adjustable valve silver inflator; the little inflator works like a champ; I carry three small Co2 cartridges with me; contrary to what I was warned about on the interweb, I've had to use, say, seven of them over the last couple-three years and none was a dud -- I'd say the odds that I'd be carrying three duds (and I only need one to work for ample inflation to get home) are small.

The little silver tool and the three cartridges weigh much less than a pump and take up far, far less space. But the best part is that after I've gotten the new tube in, the tire seated, and the wheel remounted, I'm roughly 30 seconds tops from being inflated and back on the road. Works so slick and easy I smile a little every time I do it.

Same here. I use this one: https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/cpro2-trigger/p/132060?color=219611-132060

https://images.amain.com/images/large/bikes/specialized/4722-4055.jpg?width=475

It's worked perfectly every time.

Ralph
02-23-2018, 02:41 PM
Yes....I don't get frame pumps anymore. CO2 just so much more convenient, and will probably get more air pressure in new tube for most people. Buy in bulk at Walmart, Amazon, etc. Now....if touring in a 3rd world country....maybe different.

djg21
02-23-2018, 03:11 PM

I typically carry 16g cartridges, I have carried 25g cartridges from time to time (use these on my MTB). With the Silca EOLO inflator, I can close the cartridge after inflating the tire and still have some air remaining to top off the tire later (during the same ride) should it become necessary. I don’t expect to get multiple rides from a cartridge that has been pierced, but it’s not necessarily one and done either, unless you are using 12g cartridges. 16g cartridges gets me above 7 bars easily.

Mzilliox
02-23-2018, 03:47 PM

Preaching to the choir, thats why i said just make a choice and practice til you are good at it. whatever method you choose, know it.
i think a few cats just go out assuming they are covered and have never tried their Co2 before. Ive never had to use mine on the road (note, i bring one and plan to use it, it just hasn't happened yet in the last year ive been carrying them). But i have inflated a tire a few times in the barn to be confident that when the time comes, im not blowing it so to speak.

i dont really "hang out" with many cyclists, i just ride with them sometimes.

nickl
02-23-2018, 08:30 PM
Never had a circumstance where my frame pump let me down over the past 30+ years. I’ve been the savior on several group ride when those with lesser equipment have used my pump to expedite their situation.

Tim Porter
02-24-2018, 06:32 AM
I've always been a bit klutzy with CO2, probably 'cause I flat pretty rarely. I usually carry a mini pump or a frame pump and they help when others with me flat, too.

On my Firefly:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/26994339433_8966ec28b9_c_zpsyytxn2uj.jpg

On my Ottrott in Tuscany (note velcro strap in lieu of pump peg):

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/IMG_2346_zpsc3flgk5d.jpg

Mzilliox
02-24-2018, 08:56 AM
I've always been a bit klutzy with CO2, probably 'cause I flat pretty rarely. I usually carry a mini pump or a frame pump and they help when others with me flat, too.

On my Firefly:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/26994339433_8966ec28b9_c_zpsyytxn2uj.jpg

On my Ottrott in Tuscany (note velcro strap in lieu of pump peg):

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/IMG_2346_zpsc3flgk5d.jpg

such handsome bikes too, how is that Firefly not one big smudge from the pump?

Jeff N.
02-24-2018, 09:23 AM
I always use a full frame pump on all my bikes. None of this mini-pump stuff and certainly no CO2 carts...I find those all over the road.

enr1co
02-24-2018, 09:29 AM
I always use a full frame pump on all my bikes. None of this mini-pump stuff and certainly no CO2 carts...I find those all over the road.

Lot of cartridges, gel paks, energy bar wrappers on the road... c'mon people, carry your rubbish back and dispose/recycle properly! :mad:

Sorry for the rant- have a great weekend all!

Tim Porter
02-24-2018, 10:27 AM
such handsome bikes too, how is that Firefly not one big smudge from the pump?

Yes, it's terrifying but the Firefly has survived so far. The Ottrott, on the other hand, has a miniscule bit of scuffing from the velcro (easily buffed out of the green paint if I cared).:eek:

mzilliox, btw, love your steelheading and flytying.

AngryScientist
02-24-2018, 10:52 AM
my particular circumstances mean that i do most of my riding solo, and with 2 kids, and busy lives, the reality is that it would be inconvenient, to say the least to have to get rescued on the side of the road for something as silly as a flat.

i'll admit straight away that i've pinched tubes on the side of the road trying to install too quickly. it's not out of the question to have a few flats on a spirited ride where i'll take a gravel descent too quickly and hit a rock or two just the wrong way.

all that combined, my preference is a source of unlimited air. frame pump or good mini pump have never let me down. i also carry the small park glueless patches, about the size of a quarter and weigh about as much. i've definitely used it on the side of the road when i pinched my spare tube on install, and other times when multiple flats come into play.

with the mini pump and the glueless patches, i can pretty much be sure no amount of flats will prevent me from carrying on with a ride and home.

the other thing about just CO2 that would bother me, is once it's gone, it's gone - meaning that if you get a flat on a planned 60 mile ride at mile 10 - you have to just hope you'll be good for the last 50 miles. the boyscout in me just doesnt like those odds.

Andy sti
02-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Frame pump!

https://i.imgur.com/qZYA7cH.jpg?1

yashcha
02-24-2018, 06:03 PM
My favorite was helping some guy on a fondo who misused his only CO2 and was stranded on the side of the road with 40 miles to go. I stop my ride to lend him my frame pump, and the guy doesn’t know how to pump properly and bends his valve, and blames me for lending him a crappy pump. Cant win.

fogrider
02-25-2018, 12:58 AM
I'm a fan of pumps, I have one for each bike...just check them every now and then to make sure they are in good working order. But I just built a bike with tubeless tires, and I'm thinking there might be a time I may need the instant shot of air...

R3awak3n
02-25-2018, 07:19 AM
I'm a fan of pumps, I have one for each bike...just check them every now and then to make sure they are in good working order. But I just built a bike with tubeless tires, and I'm thinking there might be a time I may need the instant shot of air...

I mean if you have a flat on tubeless you going to be put a tube in anywyas so no need for co2

oldpotatoe
02-25-2018, 07:41 AM

If ya got goop in there, and you flat anyway..you will need a tube or a ride home...If it's really cut bad(you'll know that as the goop sprays all over everything)...boot it with a $1 bill($5 in the republic) and go home.

HenryA
02-25-2018, 08:40 AM
my particular circumstances mean that i do most of my riding solo, and with 2 kids, and busy lives, the reality is that it would be inconvenient, to say the least to have to get rescued on the side of the road for something as silly as a flat.

i'll admit straight away that i've pinched tubes on the side of the road trying to install too quickly. it's not out of the question to have a few flats on a spirited ride where i'll take a gravel descent too quickly and hit a rock or two just the wrong way.

all that combined, my preference is a source of unlimited air. frame pump or good mini pump have never let me down. i also carry the small park glueless patches, about the size of a quarter and weigh about as much. i've definitely used it on the side of the road when i pinched my spare tube on install, and other times when multiple flats come into play.

with the mini pump and the glueless patches, i can pretty much be sure no amount of flats will prevent me from carrying on with a ride and home.

the other thing about just CO2 that would bother me, is once it's gone, it's gone - meaning that if you get a flat on a planned 60 mile ride at mile 10 - you have to just hope you'll be good for the last 50 miles. the boyscout in me just doesnt like those odds.

Could not write it any better.
Frame pump, spare tube, fresh patch kit.
I’m riding home, not walking and not calling to be rescued.

And it is satisfying to hand my pump over to the guy who just flubbed his CO2 inflation.

teleguy57
02-25-2018, 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=donevwil;2317848]Official FP-1 hoarder approved!

Moi aussi! Same bike as Enrico, same pump as him and donevil, same location. Big fan of the NDS seatstay placement (just peeking out on the -- old-school style fits this old guy well:) Oh, and I've lost count how many times it's been loaned out; I've only used it minimally myself (tubular guy for the win) but love having an unlimited supply of air when I go out on long solo rides.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/attachments/f11/78591d1425933651-hampsten-tournesol-dsc_0048-jpg

merlinmurph
02-25-2018, 09:11 PM
What AS said

chiasticon
02-26-2018, 06:32 AM
I’ve been the savior on several group ride when those with lesser equipment have used my pump to expedite their situation.the couple times I've lent my frame pump to people, they've either just stared at me, confused, or started using it for five seconds, decided it was taking way too long, and borrowed another co2 cart instead. the co2 stuff is great for group rides as you get back up and going pretty quickly (most times). plus you have backup options with the other riders, should something go wrong. for long solo rides, I can't see using it.

I'm definitely in the frame pump camp, for all the reasons Angry mentioned. a viable alternative is the lezyne road drive (or pressure drive for MTB pressures). those definitely will get you up to 100psi if you need it, without ripping your arm off.

BikeNY
02-26-2018, 07:54 AM
For my road riding needs, I' always have a frame pump (or quality mini pump), spare tube, patch kit, and something to make a tire boot, usually a $1 bill.

I pretty much never go on group rides, and when I can get out for a long ride, it's by myself and I want to be able to finish the ride, and an unlimited air supply drastically increases those odds. A pump is also the best thing for adjusting pressure during a ride, or topping off a slow leak.

I do carry Co2 on my shorter MTB rides. 3" tubeless tires mean flats are a thing of the past, and if something catastrophic happens to a tire, it's a short walk back to the car. I did learn the hard way a few of years ago that a single 16g cartridge is not enough to fill a 29x3.0 tire to ride-able pressure! Now I carry 2, and luckily have not needed them in a few years.

I also do some long all day exploratory off-road rides on occasion, and most certainly carry a pump for those!

glepore
02-26-2018, 07:55 AM
You frame pump users are certainly a self-righteous bunch. I've not had a pump for 25 years, and the only times I've called for rescue have been solo rides when I was out of spare tubulars or tubes. I certainly know how to use a pump. I just choose not to clutter my bike with a frame pump or a large saddle bag.

So there. Now go polish your Nuevo Record downtube shifters.

BikeNY
02-26-2018, 08:01 AM
Also a question:

Anyone ever mounted a frame pump above the top tube? My previous frame had a pump peg and my Blackburn fit perfectly under the top tube. My new frame (Salsa Vaya travel) has no pump peg, and the orientation of the cables and coupler combine to make the pump not fit well underneath. I also tried the seatstay location, but the Alternator swinging dropout setup makes that not work either. Then I noticed it fits perfectly above the top tube. Looks a little weird, but seems to work. I guess I could also use those rubber blocks and straps, but I'd rather avoid that.

R3awak3n
02-26-2018, 08:22 AM
Also a question:

Anyone ever mounted a frame pump above the top tube? My previous frame had a pump peg and my Blackburn fit perfectly under the top tube. My new frame (Salsa Vaya travel) has no pump peg, and the orientation of the cables and coupler combine to make the pump not fit well underneath. I also tried the seatstay location, but the Alternator swinging dropout setup makes that not work either. Then I noticed it fits perfectly above the top tube. Looks a little weird, but seems to work. I guess I could also use those rubber blocks and straps, but I'd rather avoid that.

I had a bike that had a HT extention and also a ST one, so I put my frame pump there. Was awesome since I did a couple of mini tours on that bike and this way the frame pump played well with the frame bag.

djg21
02-26-2018, 08:32 AM
You frame pump users are certainly a self-righteous bunch. I've not had a pump for 25 years, and the only times I've called for rescue have been solo rides when I was out of spare tubulars or tubes. I certainly know how to use a pump. I just choose not to clutter my bike with a frame pump or a large saddle bag.

So there. Now go polish your Nuevo Record downtube shifters.

No kidding. I carry two spare tubes and two 16g CO2 carrridges in a seat pack on all rides. I can’t remember a time when I’ve ever flatted more than once and needed to use a second tube or cartridge, even on long rides. I’ve given spare tubes and cartridges away a few times. I’ve never had to call for a rescue due to a flat tire.